HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nashville/Pittsburgh *proposal*

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 08:47 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

vCash: 500
Nashville/Pittsburgh

How about this.
Nashville sends it entire team and thier building to pittsburgh for Pittsburghs entire team and the igloo.

Pittsburgh gets a Newer building and less payroll and Nashville gets team with A guy that maybe someone besides the already existing fans
have heard of. Half the suites aren't being used anyway so who need them. and we get M-A Fleury.

Or we just combine teams and play half the home games in Pitt and half in Nash.

Seeing how our football teams and fans get along I think it might work

Sorry I'm just a little fed up right now!!!!!!

Old
11-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85
Or we just combine teams and play half the home games in Pitt and half in Nash.
Or they could play them in a city that actually gives a crap about hockey...

Old
11-07-2003, 09:03 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin

Oh that's right you guys have sold out every game since your inception right....you have always had capacity crowds right?

Old
11-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Evilo

Quote:
You mean a team like Vancouver where fans are there even when the team is losing...?

Old
11-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
You mean a team like Vancouver where fans are there even when the team is losing...?
Considering the Canucks averaged around 15,000 fans/game when they were one of the worst teams in the leauge, then yes, I would say that. A lot more then the 10,000 or so that the Preds and Pens are bringing in...

Hockey in Nashville, how could anyone have thought that this could've been successful?

Old
11-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
And Nuck fans have room to talk????

Old
11-07-2003, 09:52 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
And Nuck fans have room to talk????
I really didn't mean for this to turn into another Nucks/Preds fans thing.We had enough of those ther other night.
If you live in an NHL city and the people support your team be thankfull.
Speaking from experience it really sucks to love this sport as much as I do and feel like you might be watching the last season of NHL hockey in your town.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:01 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Considering the Canucks averaged around 15,000 fans/game when they were one of the worst teams in the leauge, then yes, I would say that. A lot more then the 10,000 or so that the Preds and Pens are bringing in...

Hockey in Nashville, how could anyone have thought that this could've been successful?

It takes awhile to build a good fan base, Nashville isn't there yet, just like the Canucks in the mid 80's you know when you couldn't even average 12,000, in fact some years it was just over 10k. I realize times have changed there, but you gave it a chance to grow, and now it's stable, with todays market I don't know if Nashville will get that chance. Just for the record though, the Canucks have struggled at times selling tickets, even worse than Nashville is right now.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:33 PM
AEKaki

Guys, Pittsburgh has a better attendance this year then New Jersey, New York Islanders, Carolina, and at least a couple more.

Pittsburgh likes hockey but they are FED up of loosing their stars because of money for nothing good in return.
They had a superstar team, now we have good young rookies, but that is not enough to compete.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Hawkalyzer

the hawks got a bunch of rookies, yet were competing

hell we even have Krapo on the PP

wirtz=bad attendance

Old
11-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Peter Griffin

All I'm saying is that Nashville isn't the best city to place an NHL team. Basketball and Football are way too prevalent in the southern states and I really don't think hockey has a chance to survive. I guess I'm just kind of bitter that hockey mad cities such as Winnipeg and Quebec lost their teams because of their financial situations even when they were drawing good crowds, but some teams in the Southern USA have brutal attendance but are able to remain there because they are bringing in American money and at least have a bit of a corporate community to keep them afloat. Oh well...

Old
11-07-2003, 08:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
All I'm saying is that Nashville isn't the best city to place an NHL team. Basketball and Football are way too prevalent in the southern states and I really don't think hockey has a chance to survive. I guess I'm just kind of bitter that hockey mad cities such as Winnipeg and Quebec lost their teams because of their financial situations even when they were drawing good crowds, but some teams in the Southern USA have brutal attendance but are able to remain there because they are bringing in American money and at least have a bit of a corporate community to keep them afloat. Oh well...
Winnipeg's attendance last 3 years
13106 12931 12931

Quebec's atttendance last 3 years
14981 14614 14395

Nashville attendance last 3 years
15824 14789 13228

So how is it Winnipeg and Quebec had good support and Nashville doesn't? Quebec also struggled selling tickets in the begining selling just over 10k on average one year. Winnipeg (that great hockey city) never averaged 14K.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:38 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
The Nordiques moved to Colorado where every game since coming to Denver has been a sell out. Excuse me while I do not feel sorry for the Canadian fans for not supporting the Nordiques with equal vigor.

Besides, Nashville did not steal a Canadian team. They were an expansion team, and thus they have to face building a team from scratch. Its tough.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wait a minute, how many loosing seasons have these great fans of Denver had to sit through? I'll say they're great fans whenever they have to watch their team struggle for a few years and still sell out, right now Montreal has the only great fans in the league.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:57 AM
blah

...egh

Old
11-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Wait a minute, how many loosing seasons have these great fans of Denver had to sit through? I'll say they're great fans whenever they have to watch their team struggle for a few years and still sell out, right now Montreal has the only great fans in the league.
Your exactly right, my point was, that I can't feel sorry for Quebec for not supporting their team, while Colorado has every single year. True they may be fair-weather fans, but all appearances so far is that they are not.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

it's not that winnipeg(who was, before they left the league, BY FAR my favorite team) or quebec had such great attendance...it's just...you know, they're canadian teams, and depriving a grand ol' canadian city of a team...while cities like phoenix, tampa bay, nashville and carolina have teams...is just some sort of travesty. in fact, let's move all US teams north of the border, pull any us or european-born players from the league, give teams to halifax, quebec, winnipeg, hamilton, regina and sault st. marie, and make it an all canadian affair. we silly americans will go back to our football and basketball, those of us in the south will stick to NASCAR and college football, and leave hockey to those who really love it.

you might feel that cities like nashville, phoenix, and the florida teams don't deserve to have their teams...but i guarantee you that i, and many other people like me, love my team just as much as you love yours.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
you might feel that cities like nashville, phoenix, and the florida teams don't deserve to have their teams...but i guarantee you that i, and many other people like me, love my team just as much as you love yours.
That's not my point. I said there are diehard fans of teams in the South, my beef is that yes Quebec and Winnipeg lost their franchises, but then the NHL went and turned around and gave franchises to Nashville, Atlanta, Phoenix etc. Did they really think that these teams were going to survive any better than Winnipeg or Quebec?

Old
11-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Jarnberg

I'm really tired of seeing this debate again and again..

I'll add my two cents since I haven't spoke about it yet.

Does the Preds attendance suck? You bet it does. Am I worried? No. The city has already shown they can support this team. (See first 3-4 seasons). Yes some of that had to do with the team being new, but the city can support this team. Once the Preds start winning more often, the fans will slowly come back in. The Preds have a more exciting team this year and alot of casual fans are starting to take notice (now if only they could get off their butts). The organization has taken a slow building process that hurts in attendance but will build a strong team for a few years (instead of building a team just for one playoff birth).

Attendance is down in the NHL. Hopefully the new CBA will give smaller markets more of a chance to compete, increasing attendance.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:48 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Weeknight attendence is poor EVERYWHERE in the NHL this year. This is not just a local phenomena. To quote a famous phrase, "It's the economy, stupid. " (not calling anyone stupid, please, it is just the exact expression). We are in a jobless recovery. About the only jobs being created are low wage and part time service industry job. My company announced they will essentially eliminate 39 IT jobs in an outsourcing deal. We are talking high wage positions, many folks with 10 or more yrs service. Corporate sponsorship here is at an all time low-- the Preds have always been dependent on walkup ticket sales. When people have to restart their careers entertainment is the first cut in the budget.

Winning will drive more walkup sales as people not yet hooked are not keen to spend scarce money to go watch a young team which is still learning, even though many of us do our part to spread the word on how entertaining this team is to watch. All of the new referrals I have sent this year have promised to go back.

Is Nashville one of the worst in attendence right now? Yes, probably. Given the situation, does any of this make it justified to shut down or move the team? No, I don't think so.

Old
11-09-2003, 12:27 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
Weeknight attendence is poor EVERYWHERE in the NHL this year. This is not just a local phenomena. To quote a famous phrase, "It's the economy, stupid. " (not calling anyone stupid, please, it is just the exact expression). We are in a jobless recovery. About the only jobs being created are low wage and part time service industry job. My company announced they will essentially eliminate 39 IT jobs in an outsourcing deal. We are talking high wage positions, many folks with 10 or more yrs service. Corporate sponsorship here is at an all time low-- the Preds have always been dependent on walkup ticket sales. When people have to restart their careers entertainment is the first cut in the budget.

Winning will drive more walkup sales as people not yet hooked are not keen to spend scarce money to go watch a young team which is still learning, even though many of us do our part to spread the word on how entertaining this team is to watch. All of the new referrals I have sent this year have promised to go back.

Is Nashville one of the worst in attendence right now? Yes, probably. Given the situation, does any of this make it justified to shut down or move the team? No, I don't think so.
Add to that, Nashville is a city that was built on tourism, we were in the middle of a huge growth here until 9/11 hit, then the bottom fell out, people quite traveling music row was dead, and companies were forced to cut back, like tnrocketman said the first thing that's cut during hard times is entertainment dollars. Next, some of Nashville's fan base are soldiers from the 101st, most of them are still over in Iraq, and their families aren't going to the games while they are gone. These are just a few more reasons Nashville is struggling right now, but things are turning around, people are traveling again, and soon the 101st will be home, just in time for the Predators to make their rebound in the standings.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger
Does the Preds attendance suck? You bet it does. Am I worried? No. The city has already shown they can support this team. (See first 3-4 seasons). Yes some of that had to do with the team being new, but the city can support this team. Once the Preds start winning more often, the fans will slowly come back in. The Preds have a more exciting team this year and alot of casual fans are starting to take notice (now if only they could get off their butts). The organization has taken a slow building process that hurts in attendance but will build a strong team for a few years (instead of building a team just for one playoff birth).
All I have to say to that is that the Calgary Flames have missed the playoffs for 7 straight years. But is their attendance poor? No, they have a very committed season ticket base. Just because a team has a losing record it doesn't mean that the fans shouldn't support the team. Hockey markets support their teams, look at Columbus. They are in the exact same situation as Nashville yet they have great attendance numbers. All I'm saying is that Nashville isn't a hockeytown and it doesn't appear that they ever will be. If Winnipeg or Quebec could afford to keep a team, I'm sure they're numbers would be higher(assuming they had a decent-sized arena).

Old
11-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Winnipeg's attendance last 3 years
13106 12931 12931

Quebec's atttendance last 3 years
14981 14614 14395

Nashville attendance last 3 years
15824 14789 13228

So how is it Winnipeg and Quebec had good support and Nashville doesn't? Quebec also struggled selling tickets in the begining selling just over 10k on average one year. Winnipeg (that great hockey city) never averaged 14K.
Well, both Winnipeg and Quebec had small, outdated arenas, both seating under 15,000. For two small cities, they had a good sized fanbase.

Old
11-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Jarnberg

OK, so Nashville isn't a hockey market to you, you can have your own opinion.

The only way this team will move is if the new CBA doesn't go in the favor of small market teams

Old
11-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger
OK, so Nashville isn't a hockey market to you, you can have your own opinion.
I would wager that there are numerous people who feel the same way I do on this...

Quote:
The only way this team will move is if the new CBA doesn't go in the favor of small market teams
I hope that there is a way that can help out the small market teams compete in the next CBA, but that doesn't change the fact that Nashville's attendance has steadily declined over their 6 years of existence. I know that they have had a poor record over that time, but the Mighty Ducks had a poor record, and they averaged around 16,000 per game for their 1st 6 years. The Lightning also had strong numbers in their 1st 4 seasons and the Sharks have averaged around 17,000 for their entire existence(except for their 1st season where they played in San Francisco). If Nashville was a "hockeytown", the fans would be supporting the team. They simply aren't doing that, and we're only 6 years into the franchise...

Closed Thread