HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Perrault or Ribs?

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Habber

vCash: 500
Perrault or Ribs?

Who centres the 2nd line tomorrow night?

I think CJ has to go back to Perrault. You can't let him sit longer than two games, especially when you consider that Ribs hasn't been playing very well either. (1 pt in last 8 games) I'm really disappointed with Ribs' play against Buffalo. With Perrault in the bench, he had the perfect chance to reall solidify his spot on the top 6, but instead he was sorely outplayed by Hossa and Ryder.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:24 AM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber

I think CJ has to go back to Perrault. You can't let him sit longer than two games, especially when you consider that Ribs hasn't been playing very well either. (1 pt in last 8 games) I'm really disappointed with Ribs' play against Buffalo. With Perrault in the bench, he had the perfect chance to reall solidify his spot on the top 6, but instead he was sorely outplayed by Hossa and Ryder.
I agree that Ribs hasnt had many good games lately but imo Ribs brings more to the youth line than Perrault. For starters that line needs a playmaker that can feed the puck to Ryder and Hossa which Perrault cannot do. Perrault is a sniper and thats it and he needs players that can feed him the puck which you wont get with Ryder and Hossa. So let the youth line play some games together and let them gel and if it doesnt work bring Perrault back onto the top6.

I think we are a better team without Perrault right now.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ
I agree that Ribs hasnt had many good games lately but imo Ribs brings more to the youth line than Perrault. For starters that line needs a playmaker that can feed the puck to Ryder and Hossa which Perrault cannot do. Perrault is a sniper and thats it and he needs players that can feed him the puck which you wont get with Ryder and Hossa. So let the youth line play some games together and let them gel and if it doesnt work bring Perrault back onto the top6.

I think we are a better team without Perrault right now.
I tend to agree, but "if it doesn't work" then sooner than later we may have to bring back Perreault or maybe someone from Hamilton.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:32 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:

Not sure if we were watching the same game but I wouldn't say that he was outplayed.. I would definately say he was outcovered. Teams have really being focusing on Ribeiro in the last few games sending two players to cover him closely leaving his linemates open for better plays (which makes them look better and makes Ribeiro look worse). I've also noticed a tendency for other teams to send out a big line to knock Ribeiro around to try and knock his confidence early on in a game. Very efficient tactics from the other teams which means that Julien will need to tell his players to help Ribeiro out and teach some of these guys that it's not ok to just push him around like that.

This is where I almost wish that Komisarek would be called up and played as a defensive pairing on Ribeiro's line so that he can come to his defense when opposing teams attempt this tactic.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
Not sure if we were watching the same game but I wouldn't say that he was outplayed.. I would definately say he was outcovered. Teams have really being focusing on Ribeiro in the last few games sending two players to cover him closely leaving his linemates open for better plays (which makes them look better and makes Ribeiro look worse). I've also noticed a tendency for other teams to send out a big line to knock Ribeiro around to try and knock his confidence early on in a game. Very efficient tactics from the other teams which means that Julien will need to tell his players to help Ribeiro out and teach some of these guys that it's not ok to just push him around like that.

This is where I almost wish that Komisarek would be called up and played as a defensive pairing on Ribeiro's line so that he can come to his defense when opposing teams attempt this tactic.
Good observation there patp77!!

Old
11-10-2003, 06:52 AM
jcpenny

Guys i don't think we have watched the same games. Friday against Buffalo he owned the sabres zone with his control. Perrault should be out of montreal as well as Audette. I see Balej instead of audette. This guy could be the surprise of the year if he gets a call up.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:58 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77

I'll agree that teams are paying more attention to him, but not to the extent you are talking about. I never saw Buffalo double team Ribs at all. And I don't think you can prevent teams pushing him around, every player gets pushed around, they just have to fight through it. Why does the team need to protect Ribs like he's a crystal ball? Zed and Koivu get pushed around and keyed on all night long, but they overcome it.

I think it's a matter of opposing teams getting to see him on film and making a game plan regarding him. The first 10 games that wasn't much of an issue and he did fine. But now, as you said, teams hit him early on and stay a little tighter to him. It's his job and his job alone to respond to this challenge and try to create some room for himself.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:37 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Well, I think you're taking my post a bit too much to the extreme. I don't think he needs to be protected like a crystal ball but I do think he needs to be protected just as Koivu and a few others do. You can't let teams knock your small players around without any repercussion.

And no, it's not his job alone to respond to the challenge. He does not need to be babysat if that's what you thought I was implying but he merely could use someone to back him up if the opposing team try to rough him up too much. Just like any other smallish forward would need in his place. Having someone willing to protect you just means that other teams will think twice about trying to drill him in the boards and will play a cleaner game. Koivu isn't as good of an example because Koivu is a leader, a speedster and a gritty fiery player who is willing to sacrifice his body (hence the injuries he's sustained) to prevent people from pushing him around.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:42 AM
habsfan19

Ribs instead of Perreault, he can stay in the press box, we don't need him

Old
11-10-2003, 07:44 AM
Kirk Muller

Come on stop the excuses, the fact is, he needs to step his game up. He is too freaking busy trying to get on the highlight reel instead of making the smart play.

He is not playing at an NHL pace, it was very apparent versus Buffalo where he essentially killed Montreals 4 minute powerplay because he was way too slow in reading and making a play. His teammates have carried him for 8 games or so, they are doing all the work and Ribeiro has killed it after trying to do a fancy move or a low risk play.

The opponents have hit "mid season" form or are progressing, so have Hossa and Ryder. Right now Ribeiro is a step behind them, and the opposition.

Old
11-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Habber

I totally agree that our players need to be protected, Ribs included. But I haven't seen a whole lot of teams knocking him around or roughing him up. I've seen teams play him tight and take the body on him. Playing through this is the challenge I spoke of, as nothing is going to change the fact that teams are going to play him tight and expose his weaknesses (size and speed).

IMO, Ribs' game has lacked intensity lately and it seems that Hossa and Ryder are working a lot harder than he is. Also I don't think you can sit Perrault for too long. I don't really like Perrault, but we have to deal with the fact that he's here and we need him contributing to win some games.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:19 AM
habsfan11

At the begining of the season, opposing teams were focusing on the perreault line and that gave ribs way more room to work with. As soon as he got hot, other teams started to focus their attenition of Ribs a=instead of perreaults line, and ribs numbers showed it. But since Koivu has been back, Ribs has had more room to work with and you saw some nice plays last night, especially the first goal, where ribs did all the work behind the net. Ribs will never be a #1 centerman IMO because he couldnt handle the extra coverage, but as long as Koivu is in the lineup, ribs will be a great 2nd line centerman, as there will be more ice for him to work his magic. Personally i feel his numbers will get better in the coming games.

Also sure he had 1 point in 7 games, but how many chances did he miss, it looked like he got robbed at least 4 times....

Old
11-10-2003, 02:05 PM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:

He may have only had 1 point in the last 8 games, but look at how the whole team played those last 8 games. I don't think anybody outside of Souray was really getting onto the score sheet.
I think Ribs is a better centerman for the Hossa - Ryder line because he's a better setup guy than Perreault will ever be.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:06 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_s_
At the begining of the season, opposing teams were focusing on the perreault line and that gave ribs way more room to work with. As soon as he got hot, other teams started to focus their attenition of Ribs a=instead of perreaults line, and ribs numbers showed it. But since Koivu has been back, Ribs has had more room to work with and you saw some nice plays last night, especially the first goal, where ribs did all the work behind the net. Ribs will never be a #1 centerman IMO because he couldnt handle the extra coverage, but as long as Koivu is in the lineup, ribs will be a great 2nd line centerman, as there will be more ice for him to work his magic. Personally i feel his numbers will get better in the coming games.

Also sure he had 1 point in 7 games, but how many chances did he miss, it looked like he got robbed at least 4 times....
right. and how many chance Zednick miss, before cj put him with the 2 youngster ?

Old
11-10-2003, 04:58 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Come on stop the excuses, the fact is, he needs to step his game up. He is too freaking busy trying to get on the highlight reel instead of making the smart play.

He is not playing at an NHL pace, it was very apparent versus Buffalo where he essentially killed Montreals 4 minute powerplay because he was way too slow in reading and making a play. His teammates have carried him for 8 games or so, they are doing all the work and Ribeiro has killed it after trying to do a fancy move or a low risk play.

The opponents have hit "mid season" form or are progressing, so have Hossa and Ryder. Right now Ribeiro is a step behind them, and the opposition.
T-E-S-T-I-F-Y!!! Awesome post That is so bang on, Nash13. With Perreault, at least he's an old dog that won't learn how to play the system and is too stubborn or too stupid to improve his overall play. Ribeiro is still young and should show a willingness to improve, and he hasn't. Is he drunk on the praise that is shoved down his throat? This guy really needs to get his head out of his ass and start putting it together.

Old
11-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Ribeiro is superior to perreault. period

Closed Thread