HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lewis signs with LA (now confirmed by lakings.com)

Old
07-14-2006, 08:21 AM
MHNet

vCash: 500
Lewis signs with LA (now confirmed by lakings.com)

Word on the Michigan Rivals board is that local radio station WTKA reported this morning that Trevor Lewis has signed with Los Angeles.

MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Thanks for the heads up.

Old
07-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
If true, this is a bit shocking.
I guess Crawford liked very much what he saw in these days...

link

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:01 AM
HeadInjury

Michigan's coach really loves the Kings taking his players early all the time, doesn't he?

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Wouldn't surprise me.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:09 AM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Michigan's coach really loves the Kings taking his players early all the time, doesn't he?
Cammalleri, Tambellini, and now Lewis. Seeing the Kings draft one of our players is always bad news.

Old
07-14-2006, 10:34 AM
guzmania

What is it about Maize and Blue that makes them want out? Couldn't tempt Boyle away from Boston. Maybe Red has a whole fast track developement system. Sorry, nothing personal.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:51 AM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
What is it about Maize and Blue that makes them want out? Couldn't tempt Boyle away from Boston. Maybe Red has a whole fast track developement system. Sorry, nothing personal.
I don't know if it's so much they want out, just feel they are ready for the next level of competition (well, with the former two, at least). In that list of three, you have two first round draft picks and a very talented second rounder. Red can pull in the talent, but unfortunately for us fans the flip side is they typically leave early, too. At least we still got Jack Johnson for another year (unless he pulls an 11th hour move on us, too).

Old
07-14-2006, 11:16 AM
LuLuBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNet View Post
I don't know if it's so much they want out, just feel they are ready for the next level of competition (well, with the former two, at least). In that list of three, you have two first round draft picks and a very talented second rounder. Red can pull in the talent, but unfortunately for us fans the flip side is they typically leave early, too. At least we still got Jack Johnson for another year (unless he pulls an 11th hour move on us, too).

I don't think that just because they signed him now does not really mean he is leaving school early. Does it? I maybe am wrong, but I think other NCAA prospects have signed with their club but I think they can still play in school so long as they dont actually get money. Is that right? Or am I mistaken? I know you guys will all correct me if I got it wrong, I have trust in you.

LuLuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Fat Elvis

If this is true, where does he play? Most likely he will not make the team out of camp. Doesn't the AHL have a minimum age requirement? He could have stood to gain more by playing at M and under their coach at least for a couple seasons.
Do you think that he could go play in the OHL or WHL? Where would he play this season if this is true

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuBelle View Post
I don't think that just because they signed him now does not really mean he is leaving school early. Does it? I maybe am wrong, but I think other NCAA prospects have signed with their club but I think they can still play in school so long as they dont actually get money. Is that right? Or am I mistaken? I know you guys will all correct me if I got it wrong, I have trust in you.
I don't believe this to be possible. Not sure what the benefits would be if it was possible.

Old
07-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

This is a bit odd. I thought Lewis would be playing two years at Michigan (and at least one). Lewis is eligible to play in the AHL but you'd think that Lewis should be further developing his offensive game before turning pro.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Jacky Robert

Wow, with Tambellini and now Lewis, I bet I know which NHL team Michigan fans hate the most...

Jacky Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Chazz Reinhold

This might be true, but I'll only believe once I see it up on TSN or lakings.com or something like that.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:57 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI View Post
If this is true, where does he play? Most likely he will not make the team out of camp. Doesn't the AHL have a minimum age requirement? He could have stood to gain more by playing at M and under their coach at least for a couple seasons.
Do you think that he could go play in the OHL or WHL? Where would he play this season if this is true
The minimum age requirement is for the CHL. Lewis can forego playing hockey in school if he wishes to sign a pro contract.

I don't see it happening, though, and, take it with a grain of salt, but I think he would benefit from playing at least one year in college.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 12:27 PM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I don't see it happening, though, and, take it with a grain of salt, but I think he would benefit from playing at least one year in college.
I'm still holding out hope that the radio station was wrong, but it came from Dave Shand, a former Michigan hockey player who keeps close ties.

Quote:
Originally posted by LuLuBelle

I don't think that just because they signed him now does not really mean he is leaving school early. Does it?
Once an NCAA player signs a professional contract, his collegiate eligibility is done.

Old
07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
This is a bit odd. I thought Lewis would be playing two years at Michigan (and at least one). Lewis is eligible to play in the AHL but you'd think that Lewis should be further developing his offensive game before turning pro.
There's nothing that says you can't further develop your offensive game with Manchester, right? I mean, it's stocked with teammates that he could conceivably be playing with at the pro level so he'd be building relations and chemistry from the get-go. Granted college might've been better for a year or two, like you say, but a crash course might not be bad either.

We'll see how it plays out once the report is found to be valid or not.

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
willie

Out of curiousty, does anyone know how many players have moved directly from the USHL to the professional ranks? I'm sure the list isn't large.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Osprey

Considering that today is the last day of camp and possibly the last day that Lewis will be in town, this news is probably true; it'd be a huge coincidence, otherwise.

I imagine that even Al Murray and Lombardi are a little surprised at the turn of events, since one of them was saying just after the draft that Lewis going to play for the legendary Red Berenson at Michigan would be a treat for the kid. I guess that he impressed at camp enough to be considered ready for the AHL.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
There's nothing that says you can't further develop your offensive game with Manchester, right? I mean, it's stocked with teammates that he could conceivably be playing with at the pro level so he'd be building relations and chemistry from the get-go. Granted college might've been better for a year or two, like you say, but a crash course might not be bad either.

We'll see how it plays out once the report is found to be valid or not.
You could be right. Playing with the same bunch for a couple seasons would be great. The draw back is if he struggles. King brass must think highly of this kid and his mental make-up to think of signing him before his freshman year. If he does play in Manchester this season I'd guess he'd play on a energy line.
You could be right. If nothing else, all the Monarch fans will give us great insight as they always do.

Old
07-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Game Misconduct

I hope it isn't true.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Fingolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct View Post
I hope it isn't true.
GM is just worried he won't be able to get a game-worn Lewis jersey from Michigan to go with his Cammalleri (and Tambellini I think) one.

- Fin

Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct View Post
I hope it isn't true.
Me neither. If it is true, I wouldn't be opposed to even sending him to the ECHL is that's feasible. I'm not sure what the rules are between the USHL and NHL are if there is any similar rules like the NHL has with the CHL

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Me neither. If it is true, I wouldn't be opposed to even sending him to the ECHL is that's feasible. I'm not sure what the rules are between the USHL and NHL are if there is any similar rules like the NHL has with the CHL
I don't think that he'd be signed just to go to the ECHL. College would be better than the ECHL for him, I'd imagine, so they must think that he's ready for the AHL.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-14-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 06:12 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
Out of curiousty, does anyone know how many players have moved directly from the USHL to the professional ranks? I'm sure the list isn't large.
Im sure theres been quite a few that went from the USHL right to the ECHL, UHL, or CHL, but only counting guys that turned pro and played in the AHL. Off the top of my head and flipping through the USHL programs that i have at some of the alumni: Chelios? Eric Cole? did Corvo ever play college?
I know Tim Jackman played in the USHL but not sure about college.
Josh Olson maybe but i think he played at UND or MSU for a year.
those would be my guesses i know itd be a very short list though as the USHL has only just recently become more of a development league than a league for kids that arent quite good enough to make it in college (with rare exceptions of course like Rafalski, Chelios, Housley, etc.)

Last edited by tigermask48: 07-14-2006 at 06:18 PM.
tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote