HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Woah I'm surprised to see....

Old
07-14-2006, 08:07 PM
CH Wizard

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Woah I'm surprised to see....

So few habs fans complain about the Samsonov signing by saying habs still suffer from '' SMURF-ITIS''. I think, size doesnt mean much anymore...Speed indeed kills...the play is more open like ya'll saw. I hope, Carbo will try lots of combos, I'd like to see Koivu with Samsonov even though Guy plans on playing him with Ribs.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Weis
Rise Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
So few habs fans complain about the Samsonov signing by saying habs still suffer from '' SMURF-ITIS''. I think, size doesnt mean much anymore...Speed indeed kills...the play is more open like ya'll saw. I hope, Carbo will try lots of combos, I'd like to see Koivu with Samsonov even though Guy plans on playing him with Ribs.
I dont think we have a problem of size on the wing and D. The problem of size is only at the center with plek, ribeiro, saku. I think we average around 6 foot like mostly every team.

Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
TSV

Send a message via MSN to TSV
what about Samsonov/Koivu/Latendtressssse !!!

TSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:18 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
Nice your old avatar is back!

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis View Post
I dont think we have a problem of size on the wing and D. The problem of size is only at the center with plek, ribeiro, saku. I think we average around 6 foot like mostly every team.
Before size, I think the main problem of our centers is that they have no shot!!!

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:26 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Before size, I think the main problem of our centers is that they have no shot!!!
True! This is something that no one talks about. We have NO scoring Center.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:41 PM
CH Wizard

Bah, Plekanec can ship a few in but I see...that's a problem. Atleast, both Ribs and Koivu are good to great playmakers. Now, what we lack in term of prospects depht imo is a potential top 6 center. I hope, Maxwell will impress. Yeah and I hope, Latty will surprise once again because returning in the Q would be a waste of one year for him. I like Lats alot...I hope he starts atleast on our third liner this upcoming season. This is just a personal opinion but we could go get a quality center/defenceman by trading Kosty and Aeby.

Old
07-14-2006, 08:46 PM
TheHoser

Smurf-itis? But... Samsonov isn't blue! I mean, yes, he does live on truffles and lives in the forests of Europe, but he ain't blue!

Yet...

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:52 PM
CH Wizard

TheHoser...yeah...nice joke but it still lacks of some sort of tabasco (like when Peter Mcleoud makes a joke, you laugh a lil' bit but you aren't impressed).

Back to topic...I've just noticed we've 5 small-ish players on our team (Streit, Koivu, Bouillon, Samsonov, Plekanec??) Higgins? Well, he has held his own...I wouldnt even include him...he's strong but so are 3/4 of the players I just listed. Small but strong is the key.

Last edited by CH Wizard: 07-14-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old
07-14-2006, 08:57 PM
goalchenyuk

Smurf and injury prone .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Ah, here we go again with the 'speed kills' argument.

True enough, but you just have to look at the Cup champions to see that it doesn't hurt to have a big, strong centre.

Eventually the whistle blows, and someone will take liberties.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Weis
Rise Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles View Post

True enough, but you just have to look at the Cup champions to see that it doesn't hurt to have a big, strong centre.

Souray, Rivet, Komi can handle those who take liberties but I agree that having a big, strong, skilled C would really improve us but they are really rare.

Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis View Post
Souray, Rivet, Komi can handle those who take liberties but I agree that having a big, strong, skilled C would really improve us but they are really rare.
Any defenceman that jumps into a fray around the net costs their team a faceoff outside the zone.

Old
07-14-2006, 10:17 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
Smurf and injury prone .
But is he that injury prone????

97-98 81 games played
98-99 79 gp
99-00 77 gp
00-01 82 gp
01-02 74 gp
02-03 8 gp okay i could see your point here...
03-04 58 gp kay last 2 years were no good
05-06 74 gp

so out of a total of 656 Games that he could of played he's made 533 Averaging almost 82%

umm guys i dont remember but happened those 2 seasons? knees or back?

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:21 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Any defenceman that jumps into a fray around the net costs their team a faceoff outside the zone.
So you're trying to say if Samsonov is getting the **** kicked out of him inside the offensive zone by lets say ohhh Brashear...that there's no way Souray, Rivet or Komo jump in because they're afraid that they may end up having the draw outside the zone?

You sir, have never played a game of hockey in your life if you believe that faceoff positioning trumps standing up for your teamate.

What kind of message does that send to the other team? Oh beat on our forwards as much as you want because we dont want to lose our faceoff edge!

Just consider what you stated before you formulate a rebuttle to my statement.

Old
07-14-2006, 10:31 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Is this sarcasim

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz View Post
So you're trying to say if Samsonov is getting the **** kicked out of him inside the offensive zone by lets say ohhh Brashear...that there's no way Souray, Rivet or Komo jump in because they're afraid that they may end up having the draw outside the zone?
Wow. Is making up an extreme scenario necessary to prove a point? Brashear punching the crap out of Samsonov. Good one!

And yes, faceoffs are somewhat significant.

Old
07-14-2006, 10:55 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:

And you don't have to look past the Cup champions to see you don't need a lot of size/tough guys up front. Why would Carolina's forwards not be "taken liberties" with if you want to talk about comparing teams - who were Carolina's toughies? Montreal actually has more players that can handle themselves in a scrap in Downey, Begin, Murray, Bouillon, Komo, Rivet and Souray.

Height has to be the stupidest statistic when it comes to hockey players - you could have 12 forwards 6-3 and 195 pounds, and most of the time they'd get their ***** kicked by a group of forwards 6-0 205 pounds, both in speed and physical play.

Montreal has one forward under 190 pounds - they are fine.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Wow. Is making up an extreme scenario necessary to prove a point? Brashear punching the crap out of Samsonov. Good one!

And yes, faceoffs are somewhat significant.

I'd rather make a statement to the other team to leave our star players alone or else, the risk of having a faceoff only like 15 feet closer to my net is not a problem in this sort of situation.

Becoming pushovers is something can really affect a team, Montreal played some of their best hockey last year while throwing around the bodies, most memorably in the two final home games versus Toronto

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
But is he that injury prone????

97-98 81 games played
98-99 79 gp
99-00 77 gp
00-01 82 gp
01-02 74 gp
02-03 8 gp okay i could see your point here...
03-04 58 gp kay last 2 years were no good
05-06 74 gp

so out of a total of 656 Games that he could of played he's made 533 Averaging almost 82%

umm guys i dont remember but happened those 2 seasons? knees or back?
Wrist, flu, broken nail, flu, undisclosed injury, bad haircut, etc...

Samsonov was a guy i thought would break 100pts but he only scored 70pts on TWO years and has never scored more than 29goals. Unlike the Knuble, Murray, Guerin and Cheechoo, Samsonov is one of the only one who hasn't produce over his talent playing with Thornton. They had to beak those two because it never worked.

Samsonov is the exact type of player who looks better on paper. He has never produced like he is able to do and it is because he likes to dipsy-doodle too much with the puck, he falls on the ice without even being touch and over-pass when the shot is there to be taken.

He is also awfull defensively.

I wonder if he'll blossom in Mtl but if his first 9 years in the NHL told me something, its that he is an underachiever on the ice. He can produce much more.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Height has to be the stupidest statistic when it comes to hockey players - you could have 12 forwards 6-3 and 195 pounds, and most of the time they'd get their ***** kicked by a group of forwards 6-0 205 pounds, both in speed and physical play.
I'm not sure where you're going with this. I was referencing big, strong centres ie. Brind'amour and Staal.

Old
07-15-2006, 06:57 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
I'm not sure where you're going with this. I was referencing big, strong centres ie. Brind'amour and Staal.
Not sure where you're going with this either. Bonk is big and strong...so what? Bind'amour is 6-1 200 pounds; hardly huge. So we have one big and strong center, Carolina has one big and strong center.... what's your point? How many big and strong centers did the Sabres have? One, and he played a checking role much like Bonk. What about Edmonton? Horcoff, Peca and Stoll....where was the big and strong center on that team?

I was responding to your silly assertation that Hab forwards will be mauled....since when is Staal a scrapper? When someone goes after him....would you not be expecting a teammate to step in as well.... or is the Canes' top player who doesn't fight supposed to get a five-minute major for having the crap pounded out of him?

We have a tougher lineup than Carolina, who just won a Cup. Does this not register in your brain, or are you just one of those guys that likes to complain for the sake of complaining?

Last edited by turnbuckle*: 07-15-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old
07-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Not sure where you're going with this either. Bonk is big and strong...so what? Bind'amour is 6-1 200 pounds; hardly huge.
Wow. You obviously know absolutely nothing about Rod 'the bod' Brind'amour.

Your comparison is between Radek Bonk, Brind'amour and Staal. One of these things is not like the other.

My point is that their top 2 centres are physically strong. You just mentioned it yourself a few posts ago about it! It's obvious that some posters here get defensive about certain 'hot button' issues like size and Ribeiro, then begin tossing around cheap insults.

You point to the Sabres, I can point to Anaheim and San Jose. And Edmonton? Please, if you think the Habs have anyone like Ryan Smith on their top two lines you're delusional.

Old
07-15-2006, 10:22 AM
turnbuckle*

Man you really like to ignore the argument don't you?

You said we need big and strong centers like Carolina had on their top lines. I know Brindamour is not big - he's 200 pounds. That was your stupid criteria, which means absolutely squat BTW.

I do know Brindamour - and i do know that even though he is not big, he is extremely powerful. You want big and strong on the Habs at center- Brindamour isn't big - is that too hard for you to comprehend?

Apparently that's okay for another team, but if a player for the Habs isn't big but is powerful, that's a whole different story. A silly double standard. Is Koivu not strong? Is Plekanec not built like a fire hydrant? No they're not "big" - neither is Brindamour.

WTH does Ryan Smyth have to do with the fact that Edmonton had three smallish centers on their top three lines - which blew your obtuse theory right out of the water?

Buffalo's top centers were Briere, Roy and Drury - care to explain the size there?

Here's an idea, inspired by your insipidness!!!!

Johnson has been a second line center......Bonk has been a first line center.

Why don't we put Bonk on the first line and Johnson on the second

Bonk - same height as Staal, weighs more
Johnson - same weight as Brindamour, but taller.

Thus we would have bigger centremen than Carolina - pretty much would gurantee a Cup I suppose according to your narrow mindedness..

Old
07-15-2006, 10:23 AM
KaptainKourage*

Til we have Koivu, we have no problem of '' size '' at center because Koivu play like a 6'3 guy

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote