HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New player Plz Help.

Old
07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
predfan24

vCash: 500
New player Plz Help.

Hey guys well let me start by saying ive been a huge hockey fan since the preds came to TN. unfortunately growing up hokcey wasnt huge here obviously. i played baseball and was quite good at it but screwed up my future in high school. Being young and impressionable sucks sometimes . Anyways Im 19 now and my big bro is trying to get me into a begginners adult hockey league. Now i pick up sports pretty quick and ive already become a decent skater. Plus ive seen some people from the league and im not to worried about making a fool of myself. Some people from that league can hardly stand. But my question is my legs are sorduf weird and i think it seems to affect me when i skate. My friends and parents say its just an excuse but i wanted some people with experience to tell me what they thought.

Well basically i have some sort of "bowleginess". When normal people have their feet straight their knees are straight too. When i stand my feet point outward and my knees are straight. Putting my feet straight is uncomfortable to me. As my knees bend inward. So you can imagine trying to make my feet point in is damn near impossible. So, skating backwards to me is impossible it seems. It also seems to affect my stopping and crossovers just not quite as much. My question is has anybody played hockey like this as well and is this the reason i can't skate backward or am i just making excuses for myself. Sorry for the long post.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Hey guys well let me start by saying ive been a huge hockey fan since the preds came to TN. unfortunately growing up hokcey wasnt huge here obviously. i played baseball and was quite good at it but screwed up my future in high school. Being young and impressionable sucks sometimes . Anyways Im 19 now and my big bro is trying to get me into a begginners adult hockey league. Now i pick up sports pretty quick and ive already become a decent skater. Plus ive seen some people from the league and im not to worried about making a fool of myself. Some people from that league can hardly stand. But my question is my legs are sorduf weird and i think it seems to affect me when i skate. My friends and parents say its just an excuse but i wanted some people with experience to tell me what they thought.

Well basically i have some sort of "bowleginess". When normal people have their feet straight their knees are straight too. When i stand my feet point outward and my knees are straight. Putting my feet straight is uncomfortable to me. As my knees bend inward. So you can imagine trying to make my feet point in is damn near impossible. So, skating backwards to me is impossible it seems. It also seems to affect my stopping and crossovers just not quite as much. My question is has anybody played hockey like this as well and is this the reason i can't skate backward or am i just making excuses for myself. Sorry for the long post.
Well first thing that comes to mind is your skate size. Are your skates about 1 to 1.5 sizes smaller than your shoes? If not, they should be.

Secondly, You may need to crank those laces down good and tight. Get wax laces if you dont already have them. Waxed laces are often overlooked, but they will hold much better, and for like three bucks why not?

A buddy of mine was having the same problem you are when he started out. He insisted he had the laces tied as tight as he could get them. After enough of his complaining I tied the skates for him. This seemed to work... around the toe area, make them super tight. Around the middle, just tie it to make it comfortable. But then when you get up to the top of the boot jack down those laces hardcore man. That should help you a lot. Inlinewarehouse.com has these ankle straps you can get, and they don't look retarded either...

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 07:50 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladoww View Post
Well first thing that comes to mind is your skate size. Are your skates about 1 to 1.5 sizes smaller than your shoes? If not, they should be.

Secondly, You may need to crank those laces down good and tight. Get wax laces if you dont already have them. Waxed laces are often overlooked, but they will hold much better, and for like three bucks why not?

A buddy of mine was having the same problem you are when he started out. He insisted he had the laces tied as tight as he could get them. After enough of his complaining I tied the skates for him. This seemed to work... around the toe area, make them super tight. Around the middle, just tie it to make it comfortable. But then when you get up to the top of the boot jack down those laces hardcore man. That should help you a lot. Inlinewarehouse.com has these ankle straps you can get, and they don't look retarded either...
that doesn't work for everyone. I can't skate with the lower laces tight, it kills my feet. Only my top 4 eyelets get tied tight, everything else is pretty loose.

What is going to help you is a deep knee bend. Look at photos of pros skating notice how their knees are bent. What you are looking for is your knee caps to be over your toes, this will give you a lot more explosive power and will help with balance and should help counter your "bowleginess."

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 09:42 AM
stick9

Sorry, but it does sound a little like you are making excusses for yourself. It doesn't take perfect leg/foot alignment to skate well. It does however take years of practice.

You should probably work on your flexability. The more flexable your legs become the less pain you will have when you put them into postions out of the norm.

At the level you are playing at it's not crucial for you skate backwards. Just keep working on your skating and remember to keep those knees bent.

There is no reason why you can't enjoy playing hockey.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
My legs are the same way its just somthing you have to get use to, its not going to make you not be able to skate backwards i can fine been able to for the last 16 years....im 20 been playin since i was 4. you shouldnt have a problem with your skating at all just go out and practice!

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Yeah I wouldn't let being bow-legged stop me from playing. Like the other guys said, practice.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 01:25 PM
predfan24

ya guys you were right. Im already alot better skating backwards than i was when i wrote this message. It was just an excuse. I can be hard headed sometimes.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote