HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Comrie HNIC interview

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-08-2003, 02:58 PM
  #1
heavyhauler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cold Lake Alberta
Posts: 89
vCash: 1240
Mike Comrie HNIC interview

anybody see it?
if not i'll highlight it for you.
Lowe told me my play levled off......he thinks im only a second liner....WAAA, im taking my puck and going home,im not playing for you any more. WAAAA

dam what i spoiled KID.........thats right KID he's acting like it and i hope somebody gives him a soother to shut him up.

heavyhauler is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 03:02 PM
  #2
Oilers Ent
Registered User
 
Oilers Ent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,665
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I just finished work and am going to watch the game now. Any chance they'll replay it you think?

I forget who it was that said it before here but there was a great comment that still makes me laugh. It was:

"Somebody call the Waaaaaaahbulence!"


Oilers Ent is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 03:18 PM
  #3
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Only a second liner?? My god man....

How dare he say something like that.

The audacity of Kevin Lowe!

windowlicker is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 03:22 PM
  #4
copperaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
You may be able to see the interview on the CBC website.

copperaddict is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 03:26 PM
  #5
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
I was impressed that he didn't accept Lowe's ceiling (or what he said Lowe told him was his ceiling-2line center), but the Comrie side is really tapdancing on alot of issues. For instance, they didn't tell him to stay away from camp, they told him to stay away without a contract.

Huge difference.

I think it's a combination of a very young man getting bad advice (and swallowing it whole) and an organization that decided to dig in its heels on the next contract.

It only gets this far if Comrie wants it that way. I expect somewhere along the way he'll have another run in, and handle it the same.

Mike Comrie is another Eric Lindros. Damn shame.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 03:31 PM
  #6
Oilers Hockey
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
http://cbc.ca/clips/ram-lo/headliner031108.ram\

As much as I want equal value in return, I can't wait for him to get out of our city!

Oilers Hockey is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 03:34 PM
  #7
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i think they dug their heels in even more possibly coz it was reported that MC took Lowe for a ride on that first contract.

All i can say is that Lowe is the greatest thing thats happened to this club since Mess picked up the fifth cup IMO he has been flawless (minus Dopi trade) and he'll prosper in this situation. Time for a small market GM to make a example of the many idiots like Comrie and Winter this "take no ****" attitude is great.

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 03:37 PM
  #8
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
i think they dug their heels in even more possibly coz it was reported that MC took Lowe for a ride on that first contract.

All i can say is that Lowe is the greatest thing thats happened to this club since Mess picked up the fifth cup IMO he has been flawless (minus Dopi trade) and he'll prosper in this situation. Time for a small market GM to make a example of the many idiots like Comrie and Winter this "take no ****" attitude is great.
You've got to be kidding me. FLAWLESS???

Someone is lying about how things have gone here, that's become evident.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think it's Lowe.

And if my GM told me I was only ever going to be a 2nd line center, in other words "I have no faith in you, I don't think you can improve, I don't want you on my team", I'd be leaving too.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 03:47 PM
  #9
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
You've got to be kidding me. FLAWLESS???

Someone is lying about how things have gone here, that's become evident.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think it's Lowe.

And if my GM told me I was only ever going to be a 2nd line center, in other words "I have no faith in you, I don't think you can improve, I don't want you on my team", I'd be leaving too.

Well, imo you're making an assumption with regard to the 2line comment.


Having said that, if Lowe is lying he's a much better one than the agent. Mike and his agent looked away, up, down, I don't think they made eye contact more than twice in the entire interview.

They both looked like they'd just robbed the chicken coop.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:04 PM
  #10
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
You've got to be kidding me. FLAWLESS???

Someone is lying about how things have gone here, that's become evident.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think it's Lowe.

And if my GM told me I was only ever going to be a 2nd line center, in other words "I have no faith in you, I don't think you can improve, I don't want you on my team", I'd be leaving too.
damn rite flawless (from wot i can remember of his moves/actions) yes that includes the weight trade because we could have lost him for nothing better reasoner than nothing.

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:05 PM
  #11
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Well, imo you're making an assumption with regard to the 2line comment.


Having said that, if Lowe is lying he's a much better one than the agent. Mike and his agent looked away, up, down, I don't think they made eye contact more than twice in the entire interview.

They both looked like they'd just robbed the chicken coop.
Mikey looked incredibly depressed to me, looked like a guy who'd just been told he wasn't wanted. That's one of the reasons I hold the opinion I do, is he's always looked/sounded like a guy who has been told "you're not good enough, and we don't want you".

Ironic isn't it, apparently Shawn Horcoff and Peter Sarno (coming from a Peter Sarno fan, one of the first) are good enough to be wanted here.

Kevin Lowe keeps saying he'll "do what's best for the Edmonton Oilers".
What exactly is that Kevin? I think the answer's obvious, and I don't think you are doing it.

ADDED: I neglected to mention that, although I side with Mikey on this issue and not Lowe, Rich Winter is a bonehead.........a half-decent agent could've had these problems between Comrie and Lowe worked out by now, instead of making them 10x worse.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:07 PM
  #12
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
damn rite flawless (from wot i can remember of his moves/actions) yes that includes the weight trade because we could have lost him for nothing better reasoner than nothing.
Running an 8th place hockey team and not improving through trades, losing a relationship with one of your best players, and not addressing pressing team needs is hardly flawless management.

It's about as flawless as our coaching.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:14 PM
  #13
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Running an 8th place hockey team and not improving through trades, losing a relationship with one of your best players, and not addressing pressing team needs is hardly flawless management.

It's about as flawless as our coaching.
hmm lets see running a highly competitive team on only $30m, losing a relationship with a selfish ignorant idiot who happens to be good (that btw happens in most clubs and most GMs), not addressing pressing team needs so did they drafted small players ?

coaching is not GMs fault thats a seperate issue

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:14 PM
  #14
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 500
Loudmouth, I completely disagree with your comments. Comrie was paid $8 million dollars over the course of his rookie contract. $8 million dollars.
The Oilers and Lowe bit the bullet to get Comrie signed rather than losing him via the VanRyn loophole. Big money and lots of faith/good will extended to an unproven player.

Like it or not, if you take the money, you will be subject to criticism. Comrie had an offyear. Injury was a big factor. But there are some glaring holes in his game which were exposed. Defensive zone coverage. And his smallish size was a negative. The former is within his control; the latter obviously not. You can either address the criticism head on and acknowledge it to get better or you can blame others. I see Comrie and Winters doing such.

Lowtide is back on in his comments. Watch and listen to Comrie and Winters. Evasive, stumbing language and lack of eye contact. By contrast, Kevin Lowe was assertive, clear spoken, and direct.

If you are prepared to cash the cheques, be prepared for criticism. The Oiler team is built upon team contributions and individual ego must fit into this environment. I had hoped and cheered for Comrie to get a second chance this year to return to form. But alas it appears that won't happen in Edmonton. And I fear it is due to his own thin skin and unwillingness to face the challenge presented by the team which has invested big dollars in him. Move along...

Behind Enemy Lines is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:19 PM
  #15
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
hmm lets see running a highly competitive team on only $30m, losing a relationship with a selfish ignorant idiot who happens to be good (that btw happens in most clubs and most GMs), not addressing pressing team needs so did they drafted small players ?

coaching is not GMs fault thats a seperate issue
Highly competitive for WHAT? What exactly are we competing for? Isn't it about this large silver thing...or am I watching the wrong game here? I don't need to go into the examples regarding your payroll comment, they've all been mentioned.

Selfish ignorant idiot? Nice to know the flock is in it's usual form. BAAAA!

In case some haven't been watching our team for a while, there are certain things we need, and no, they are not a bunch of big guys who can't play hockey. I did not refer to drafting, our scouts have done a fairly good job as of late, but I did refer to trades, and we have not made the trades to address our needs that could've been made within budget and other constraints under Lowe.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:25 PM
  #16
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
Loudmouth, I completely disagree with your comments. Comrie was paid $8 million dollars over the course of his rookie contract. $8 million dollars.
The Oilers and Lowe bit the bullet to get Comrie signed rather than losing him via the VanRyn loophole. Big money and lots of faith/good will extended to an unproven player.

Like it or not, if you take the money, you will be subject to criticism. Comrie had an offyear. Injury was a big factor. But there are some glaring holes in his game which were exposed. Defensive zone coverage. And his smallish size was a negative. The former is within his control; the latter obviously not. You can either address the criticism head on and acknowledge it to get better or you can blame others. I see Comrie and Winters doing such.

Lowtide is back on in his comments. Watch and listen to Comrie and Winters. Evasive, stumbing language and lack of eye contact. By contrast, Kevin Lowe was assertive, clear spoken, and direct.

If you are prepared to cash the cheques, be prepared for criticism. The Oiler team is built upon team contributions and individual ego must fit into this environment. I had hoped and cheered for Comrie to get a second chance this year to return to form. But alas it appears that won't happen in Edmonton. And I fear it is due to his own thin skin and unwillingness to face the challenge presented by the team which has invested big dollars in him. Move along...
All legit points, BUT, you neglected to mention something. Who are you supposed to be able to count on? Who is supposed to be looking out for the team and therefore for you to become the best player you can? Your organization, the coach, the gm, the team in general. Be honest with yourselves. If you were told you weren't wanted, that you're a mid-20's kid who has "leveled off" and will not amount to more than a decent NHL player, if you had been told that the team could succeed without you, and therefore that you weren't in any way an important part of the team, wouldn't you be just a little miffed?

If you have the slightest amount of belief in yourself and pride, of course you will.

IF Lowe truly did say those kind of things to Comrie, then frankly I don't blame him 1 iota for his attitude, why would you want to play for someone like that? You'd want to shove those comments right up that person's rear, and not while making them money.

IF however, and I acknowledge this could have happened, this is Rich Winter's work, agent spin and selective talking to Mike and such, then Rich is as much of a clown as everyone believes.

The complete and total distruction of this relationship leads me to believe that something major went down, and it's sad we will never know what that is.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:30 PM
  #17
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
so you want the oilers to go out tommorow and trade in a load of great players and then challenge for the cup against teams that have depth like Colorado and Detroit? wtf are you smoking, look at it realistically and look at Ottawa they built through the draft to get where they are and thats what the Oilers are following it'll take time and the management HAS CHANGED recently this aint Slats show so any BS argument of "oh thats what they've been saying since 1992" won't work since the management is still relatively new.

Also in regards to the trades I think they have been posotive trades so far further to that we were talking about management which includes drafting which is what Lowe has spent a lot of his time doing.

Further to touch back to the original arguments RE:Comrie MC most likely didn't want to stay here for lets say MacT. Now as a GM what would be good management to side with MC or side with MacT bearing in mind that when MC/Winter had the chance they placed Lowe over the barrel.

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:36 PM
  #18
Oilers Hockey
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
IF Lowe truly did say those kind of things to Comrie, then frankly I don't blame him 1 iota for his attitude, why would you want to play for someone like that? You'd want to shove those comments right up that person's rear, and not while making them money.
Why couldn't Comrie be a man and take those comments with stride like Salo, Smyth and Marchant did? Instead, he decided to pout in the corner about the miniscule critisizm Lowe directed at him.

Oilers Hockey is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:36 PM
  #19
Asiaoil
Registered User
 
Asiaoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Thailand
Posts: 5,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhauler
Lowe told me my play levled off......he thinks im only a second liner.....
Well I'm glad K Lowe and I are on the same page - I've been saying Comrie is a second line center for almost a year

Comrie's ego is simply not in the same ballpark as reality because he IS a second line center on any decent team. He's small and fairly talented - but if Lupul plus, Frolov plus, or Coburn plus are on the table - you've got to make those deals.

Overall - what a stunning display of ingratitude given what this team has paid him and the opportunities it gave him to be a front line player at a very young age.

Asiaoil is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:37 PM
  #20
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
so you want the oilers to go out tommorow and trade in a load of great players and then challenge for the cup against teams that have depth like Colorado and Detroit? wtf are you smoking, look at it realistically and look at Ottawa they built through the draft to get where they are and thats what the Oilers are following it'll take time and the management HAS CHANGED recently this aint Slats show so any BS argument of "oh thats what they've been saying since 1992" won't work since the management is still relatively new.

Also in regards to the trades I think they have been posotive trades so far further to that we were talking about management which includes drafting which is what Lowe has spent a lot of his time doing.

Further to touch back to the original arguments RE:Comrie MC most likely didn't want to stay here for lets say MacT. Now as a GM what would be good management to side with MC or side with MacT bearing in mind that when MC/Winter had the chance they placed Lowe over the barrel.
We're obviously not going to reach common ground on the first issues, but I will comment on the 2nd.

You're going to side with whichever choice is best for your team, in other words, which commodity is easier to replace and which would have the more positive impact on your team's on-ice results. I don't think I have to tell you which commodity is worth more, the 1st/2nd line center, or the medium-level NHL coach.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:38 PM
  #21
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Why couldn't Comrie be a man and take those comments with stride like Salo, Smyth and Marchant did? Instead, he decided to pout in the corner about the miniscule critisizm Lowe directed at him.
You're thinking of different comments. You're thinking of the post-playoff criticism. They were not told (supposedly, no one really knows) that they weren't wanted or that they had leveled off, they were told they needed to improve.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:41 PM
  #22
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
All legit points, BUT, you neglected to mention something. Who are you supposed to be able to count on? Who is supposed to be looking out for the team and therefore for you to become the best player you can? Your organization, the coach, the gm, the team in general. Be honest with yourselves. If you were told you weren't wanted, that you're a mid-20's kid who has "leveled off" and will not amount to more than a decent NHL player, if you had been told that the team could succeed without you, and therefore that you weren't in any way an important part of the team, wouldn't you be just a little miffed?
Then your name would be Marty Reasoner, a former first round draft pick, a key acquisition in a high-profile trade, and waiver wire reject to begin last year's season. Faced with this adversity, Reasoner committed himself and has become a very valuable member of this team. He chose to fight and battle to succeed.

Beyond this, I feel there is another bad indication of the lack of character of Comrie and Winters. Calling prospective trade teams and given then incentive/ultimatum (in true Brick furniture style), 'buy' Mike Comrie before next Wednesday and he'll play for less than the qualifying offer requirements. Desperate and ridiculous.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:43 PM
  #23
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
see if you word the question of which commodity is worth more the 1st/2nd center or the medium level NHL coach then you as well as me know what the answer is.

But the problem is that your question is wrong..Whats worth more, the 1st/2nd centre who is a player who will want to do what he wants (oka selfish) has a great big ego that could jeapordise locker room chemistry as he'll challenge the coach if u side with him and therefore create a situation of one of the core players feeling he has more power than the coach then you quickly lose a lot of respect for the coach, organisation and the player loses the understanding of authority.

so which is worth more a rogue player who could destroy locker room chemistry in the long run or a competent NHL coach who can bring you a winning record?

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:45 PM
  #24
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
Then your name would be Marty Reasoner, a former first round draft pick, a key acquisition in a high-profile trade, and waiver wire reject to begin last year's season. Faced with this adversity, Reasoner committed himself and has become a very valuable member of this team. He chose to fight and battle to succeed.

Beyond this, I feel there is another bad indication of the lack of character of Comrie and Winters. Calling prospective trade teams and given then incentive/ultimatum (in true Brick furniture style), 'buy' Mike Comrie before next Wednesday and he'll play for less than the qualifying offer requirements. Desperate and ridiculous.
And you don't think Marty Reasoner wanted to be claimed and light up the Oilers the first chance he got?? Management got lucky with regards to Marty, and he was at least given a chance.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 04:46 PM
  #25
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
And you don't think Marty Reasoner wanted to be claimed and light up the Oilers the first chance he got?? Management got lucky with regards to Marty, and he was at least given a chance.
at least given a chance? jesus christ the guy has been given the number one job once weight left exactly what the hell are you talking about?

rabi_sultan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.