HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Semenov to Toronto

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2003, 10:48 AM
  #1
itsmagic
Registered User
 
itsmagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Semenov to Toronto

Far be it from me to question MacT and Lowe since I'm not familair with what's going on in the locker room, but sending Semenov to Toronto may be a good thing in the long run since he isn't playing much. There must be some facet of his game we aren't aware of that is keeping him out of the lineup since he does seem to have the tools.

itsmagic is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 11:16 AM
  #2
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmagic
There must be some facet of his game we aren't aware of that is keeping him out of the lineup since he does seem to have the tools.
That's what I am thinking as well. He has shown a lot in games IMO but obviously is doing something wrong that is keeping him out of the lineup. I'd rather he get minutes down in Toronto than be sitting in the press box here.. he's a young guy, he needs to play a lot! I'm guessing he'll be coming right back up as soon as our forward situation is resolved and we send down one of Sarno/Salmelainen/Stoll.

Cerebral is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 11:43 AM
  #3
coyote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
That's what I am thinking as well. He has shown a lot in games IMO but obviously is doing something wrong that is keeping him out of the lineup. I'd rather he get minutes down in Toronto than be sitting in the press box here.. he's a young guy, he needs to play a lot! I'm guessing he'll be coming right back up as soon as our forward situation is resolved and we send down one of Sarno/Salmelainen/Stoll.
He would have to clear waivers and I do not think that would happen.

coyote is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 11:48 AM
  #4
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
He would have to clear waivers and I do not think that would happen.
Sarno would definitely clear waivers though. He did it once already this year.

momentai is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 11:52 AM
  #5
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Sarno would definitely clear waivers though. He did it once already this year.
Yep. As well as Sarno has played this year, I find it fairly unlikely that another team will try and pick him up.. pretty much every team in the NHL has a "Sarno-like" player that has racked up points in juniors/the AHL but has yet to make an impact in the NHL.

Cerebral is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 11:53 AM
  #6
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Physical presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
That's what I am thinking as well. He has shown a lot in games IMO but obviously is doing something wrong that is keeping him out of the lineup. I'd rather he get minutes down in Toronto than be sitting in the press box here.. he's a young guy, he needs to play a lot! I'm guessing he'll be coming right back up as soon as our forward situation is resolved and we send down one of Sarno/Salmelainen/Stoll.
His weakness is he doesn't use his size enough.

Mac-T commented on it early this season and it is something that is very noticeable.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 11:57 AM
  #7
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Sarno would definitely clear waivers though. He did it once already this year.
Why would we be sending down Sarno anyway? I could much sooner see Salmelainen, or even Stoll (conditioning/ice-time, whatever they wanna call it) heading down. They don't have to clear waivers either, i believe.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 11:59 AM
  #8
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Why would we be sending down Sarno anyway? I could much sooner see Salmelainen, or even Stoll (conditioning/ice-time, whatever they wanna call it) heading down. They don't have to clear waivers either, i believe.
Not sure how many of those players need to clear. I only knew that Sarno would clear so I picked him out of the lot.

momentai is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:01 PM
  #9
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Not sure how many of those players need to clear. I only knew that Sarno would clear so I picked him out of the lot.
But Sarno has already cleared, he doesn't have to again, if I recall correctly.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
  #10
Asiaoil
Registered User
 
Asiaoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Thailand
Posts: 5,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Sarno would definitely clear waivers though. He did it once already this year.
Since Sarno has already cleared waivers - I don't believe that the Oil need to expose him again this year - they can just send him down any time they want (I think?).

Asiaoil is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:06 PM
  #11
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Since Sarno has already cleared waivers - I don't believe that the Oil need to expose him again this year - they can just send him down any time they want (I think?).
I got this
Quote:
When a player clears waivers and is sent down then is called up again, he would not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he's played 10 games or been "up" for 30 days.*
from here

edit: CBA fans go here if you dare

 
Old
11-10-2003, 01:48 PM
  #12
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Can anyone explain to me why the Oilers would send their 7th defenseman down to the AHL and go with only 6 guys on the roster? Seems to me they are making room for another player possibly thru trade. I can't remember there only being 6 d-men on the roster that doesn't make sense. Any other comments on that?

Walsher is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:51 PM
  #13
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,751
vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
http://www.edmontonoilers.com/pressb...e=20031110_315

"Centre Jarret Stoll has been activated from the NHL Injured Reserve List after missing the teamís last five games (Oct. 30-Nov. 8) due to tonsillitis. He had been placed on the IRL on November 3rd."

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:53 PM
  #14
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Can anyone explain to me why the Oilers would send their 7th defenseman down to the AHL and go with only 6 guys on the roster? Seems to me they are making room for another player possibly thru trade. I can't remember there only being 6 d-men on the roster that doesn't make sense. Any other comments on that?
See my earlier post.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:54 PM
  #15
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Can anyone explain to me why the Oilers would send their 7th defenseman down to the AHL and go with only 6 guys on the roster? Seems to me they are making room for another player possibly thru trade. I can't remember there only being 6 d-men on the roster that doesn't make sense. Any other comments on that?
Posted this in Roster Movements:

Semenov should be back as soon as our forwards aren't hurting so much right? My read would be they had to make a roster move to keep under league limits, and they're not sure who can go tonight, and decided to keep Bergeron in instead of put Semenov in, and Ferguson wouldn't be sent down because he has to clear waivers and for some reason that makes them nervous.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 02:09 PM
  #16
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Plus Valiquette got called up, and Salo is still taking a roster spot (he isn't on IR).

The Oilers needed to make a move... and with Izzy and Laraque hurt, you can't really drop a forward...

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 02:29 PM
  #17
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Plus Valiquette got called up, and Salo is still taking a roster spot (he isn't on IR).

The Oilers needed to make a move... and with Izzy and Laraque hurt, you can't really drop a forward...
The Oilers have to decide in 48 hours if they put Salo on IR. Apparently there are 2 emergency callups for goalies in a year. Reasoner and Isbister as well as Salo are out with injury.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 03:48 PM
  #18
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Yep. As well as Sarno has played this year, I find it fairly unlikely that another team will try and pick him up.. pretty much every team in the NHL has a "Sarno-like" player that has racked up points in juniors/the AHL but has yet to make an impact in the NHL.
Shaun van Allen, are your ears burning?

I think this is a move to get Semi some good playing time (baa, LMHF#1, BAAA I say ). He just wasn't outplaying anybody ahead of him on the depth charts.

kraigus is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 04:05 PM
  #19
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Shaun van Allen, are your ears burning?

I think this is a move to get Semi some good playing time (baa, LMHF#1, BAAA I say ). He just wasn't outplaying anybody ahead of him on the depth charts.
Not exactly a sheepish comment there Kraigus

It's possible, I'm just pretty sure he'll be back very soon.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 04:36 PM
  #20
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Shaun van Allen, are your ears burning?
Steve Guolla is quite the AHL star as well..

Cerebral is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 06:41 PM
  #21
cram
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Can anyone explain to me why the Oilers would send their 7th defenseman down to the AHL and go with only 6 guys on the roster? Seems to me they are making room for another player possibly thru trade. I can't remember there only being 6 d-men on the roster that doesn't make sense. Any other comments on that?
I don't think Lowe would telegraph a trade this way, if and when a trade is made for a d-man, they will send one down immediately, why would you do it sooner, there is no benefit or logic to it...It looks like they are just not happy with his play and they want him to develop further in the minors, simple as that.

cram is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 07:40 PM
  #22
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
I don't think Lowe would telegraph a trade this way, if and when a trade is made for a d-man, they will send one down immediately, why would you do it sooner, there is no benefit or logic to it...It looks like they are just not happy with his play and they want him to develop further in the minors, simple as that.
Both Isbister (Whiplash) and Reasoner (knee injury/sprained ankle) were out because of injury. They activated Jarrett Stoll from IR. Someone had to be sent down to Toronto. The Oilers probably don't even know how long Izzy and Reasoner will be out with injury.

Narnia is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 02:54 AM
  #23
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Not exactly a sheepish comment there Kraigus

It's possible, I'm just pretty sure he'll be back very soon.
Crapola, now you have me looking for my wooly coat.

Yeah, I'm sure he'll be back too, he didn't play BADLY so far this year, just not well enough to warrant top 4 icetime, and... well, I think that's what he needs at this stage in his career (even top 2). Might also be a bit of a test: "You played well last year, sure, but this year you've tailed off a bit (dare we say... LEVELLED OFF) so go down to TO, get 25 minutes a game there, and show us that last year wasn't an aberration."

(Despite what others have said, I don't think this has much chance of turning into an MC situation.)

kraigus is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 08:16 AM
  #24
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
According to today's Journal, Semenov wasn't able to find a flight out of New York so he's still with the team. He may be put back on the active roster now that Isbister's been put on the IR.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 04:38 PM
  #25
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
According to today's Journal, Semenov wasn't able to find a flight out of New York so he's still with the team. He may be put back on the active roster now that Isbister's been put on the IR.
Guess so, he played tonight and looked ok.

kraigus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.