HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Brenden Morrow

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2006, 11:26 PM
  #1
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,150
vCash: 500
Brenden Morrow

Throw-around idea: What sort of deal would it take for the Pens to get Brenden Morrow off your hands, keeping in mind he has only one year to UFA status? Just trying to gauge how high his value is on this board.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:49 AM
  #2
starsman93
Registered User
 
starsman93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Throw-around idea: What sort of deal would it take for the Pens to get Brenden Morrow off your hands, keeping in mind he has only one year to UFA status? Just trying to gauge how high his value is on this board.
Malkin, Crosby, 1st in '07, and Mark Cuban

starsman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:58 AM
  #3
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,740
vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsman93 View Post
Malkin, Crosby, 1st in '07, and Mark Cuban
I'd still have to think about it with that.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 07-17-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 01:00 AM
  #4
Dat1guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Around the corner
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I'd still have to think about it with that.
Not me.

Dat1guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 01:02 AM
  #5
starsman93
Registered User
 
starsman93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat1guy View Post
Not me.
I was joking.

Maybe a Morrow + Niinimaa

for

Malone + 1st in '07?

I'm assuming the 1st in '07 will be a top 5 pick

starsman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 01:06 AM
  #6
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,740
vCash: 1495
Reason Dallas doesn't need to trade for draft picks in the top 5 in the first place...they'll just trade it down for nothing.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:53 AM
  #7
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,421
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Reason Dallas doesn't need to trade for draft picks in the top 5 in the first place...they'll just trade it down for nothing.
Yeah, I can see it now

Bettman steps up to the podium:

"The Dallas Stars have traded the 5th overall pick to Detroit for the 26th and 35th overall picks"

If we could get a top 5 pick, that'd be just great, so long as we kept it!

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:17 AM
  #8
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsman93 View Post
I was joking.

Maybe a Morrow + Niinimaa

for

Malone + 1st in '07?

I'm assuming the 1st in '07 will be a top 5 pick

Ahh, don't think I'd be trading a 6'4" pivot who's had two years experience and two 20 goal seasons and a top 5 pick for a guy one year from UFA + throw-in. If the Pens were able to lock up Morrow for 3 years or so as part of the deal, I'd be willing to trade Malone and a 4th for Morrow alone . Thoughts?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:55 AM
  #9
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Ahh, don't think I'd be trading a 6'4" pivot who's had two years experience and two 20 goal seasons and a top 5 pick for a guy one year from UFA + throw-in. If the Pens were able to lock up Morrow for 3 years or so as part of the deal, I'd be willing to trade Malone and a 4th for Morrow alone . Thoughts?
not a stars fan... but I can't understand why they'd deal Morrow for Malone... that's basically what you're proposing with a 4th added...

if Morrow will sign a 3yr extension, then that's all the more reason to keep him... only way I could see him moved is if he's not willing to sign an extension before he hits UFA status - and even then, for a team that will likely be trying to contend, they haven't given any reasons to suspect they won't keep him (like they did with Arnott last year).

Morrow IMO is a key part of Dallas' core... and such players aren't usually flipped for guys like Malone.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:29 AM
  #10
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
not a stars fan... but I can't understand why they'd deal Morrow for Malone... that's basically what you're proposing with a 4th added...

if Morrow will sign a 3yr extension, then that's all the more reason to keep him... only way I could see him moved is if he's not willing to sign an extension before he hits UFA status - and even then, for a team that will likely be trying to contend, they haven't given any reasons to suspect they won't keep him (like they did with Arnott last year).

Morrow IMO is a key part of Dallas' core... and such players aren't usually flipped for guys like Malone.

1.The Stars aren't exactly adrift in a sea of capable centermen. Modano is old and Lindros, if signed, is made of glass. Malone is a healthy young pivot with a touch around the net and nice upside, where the Pens are logjammed, so he's expendable.

2.Morrow might want to go to a team where he'd be the #1 left wing, and only sign a 3 year if he were given that opportunity as a UFA. Jokinen seems to have that spot tied up in Dallas. If the Stars didn't want to pay 3 mil+ on the open market for a 2nd line LW, or lose him for nothing, they might trade him now for 3 years (or so) of Malone, who's currently an RFA and could be signed on the cheap for a longer term with potentially comparable returns, point-wise.

Only an idea. Maybe a mid-tier prospect to sweeten the deal.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:15 PM
  #11
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,421
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
1.The Stars aren't exactly adrift in a sea of capable centermen. Modano is old and Lindros, if signed, is made of glass. Malone is a healthy young pivot with a touch around the net and nice upside, where the Pens are logjammed, so he's expendable.

2.Morrow might want to go to a team where he'd be the #1 left wing, and only sign a 3 year if he were given that opportunity as a UFA. Jokinen seems to have that spot tied up in Dallas. If the Stars didn't want to pay 3 mil+ on the open market for a 2nd line LW, or lose him for nothing, they might trade him now for 3 years (or so) of Malone, who's currently an RFA and could be signed on the cheap for a longer term with potentially comparable returns, point-wise.

Only an idea. Maybe a mid-tier prospect to sweeten the deal.
I don't quite understand your opening point regarding Dallas's situation at center. Modano, Barnes, Halpern, Stefan, and eventually Lindros. Not a bad group, really, and even if Malone was traded for, he's a winger.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:22 PM
  #12
Rotang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 2,362
vCash: 500
Morrow is the heart and soul of the Stars and has been for years now. Armstrong won't trade him for anything less than an overpayment - something Malone is not.

Our top six is also looking particularly soft even with Morrow, trading him really doesn't make sense, especially considering his contract for next season is a bargain.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 12:55 PM
  #13
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz View Post
I don't quite understand your opening point regarding Dallas's situation at center. Modano, Barnes, Halpern, Stefan, and eventually Lindros. Not a bad group, really, and even if Malone was traded for, he's a winger.
Malone was less effective early last season when on the wing and most productive when used a center on a line with LeClair and Koltsov. It looked, and still looks, to me as though you need some scoring down the middle aside from Modano (one center with over 20 goals?), and figured Malone could do that for you while being a relatively low-cost, potentially high return pick-up.

I can understand not wanting to part with Morrow if he's in the Stars' long term plans. I simply thought that your team might balk at either losing Morrow next year for nothing or having to pay a 2nd line LW a pretty hefty sum come 2007. I don't think under identical circumstances that Malone for Morrow would be a fair trade, but generally players one year from free agency don't get an even swap one-for-one. Malone's a good young player though, and packaged with a pick and a prospect, the value ain't bad.

Either way, this thread was started with the express purpose of gauging Morrow's value to the Stars, and now I have a pretty good idea. The Pens will just have to wait 'till next year . Thanks for the input.


Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 07-17-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 02:53 PM
  #14
Dr GLU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Hemisphere
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 2,526
vCash: 500
The Stars have said it is a top priority to sign Lehtinen and Morrow to extensions, and that they're going to start working on that in August.

And Morrow is effectively the top LW. He may not be on Modano's line, but he gets far more minutes than Jokinen.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
  #15
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
The Stars have said it is a top priority to sign Lehtinen and Morrow to extensions, and that they're going to start working on that in August.

And Morrow is effectively the top LW. He may not be on Modano's line, but he gets far more minutes than Jokinen.
Okey doke. That clears things up.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
  #16
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,740
vCash: 1495
Morrow is our future pretty much IMO. I highly doubt Army or anyone else from the Stars would want to trade him away unless the perfect deal comes around.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 08:14 PM
  #17
Stars-Preds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Morrow is our future pretty much IMO. I highly doubt Army or anyone else from the Stars would want to trade him away unless the perfect deal comes around.
Agreed. It would take massive overpayment to move Morrow. Or word from Morrow's camp that he is absolutely not re-signing with the Stars next summer.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 08:22 PM
  #18
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,740
vCash: 1495
Which I don't think he would do cause I'm pretty sure he knows he's the future of our team.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:34 AM
  #19
starsman93
Registered User
 
starsman93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
so this makes my proposal reasonable? correct?

starsman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 05:46 PM
  #20
Walzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: somewhere in Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
so what're you guys willing to give him ? 20 mil/5 years ?

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:13 PM
  #21
Troy McClure
Registered User
 
Troy McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Win it for Robidas!
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 24,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Which I don't think he would do cause I'm pretty sure he knows he's the future of our team.
I like Morrow a lot. I like what he brings and how hard he tries.

But, and this is a very large butt, if Morrow is the future of the Stars, this team is in serious trouble.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:48 PM
  #22
Dave Dirty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Edmontonian inDallas
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
For one pittsburgh shouldnt be trying to get Morrow. We would take some of their prospects if it was a trade.

Also Dallas has made a point about keeping and planning the future around Morrow so i dont see him going anywhere.

Dave Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:46 PM
  #23
streakie
Registered User
 
streakie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to streakie
Quote:
Stars GM Doug Armstrong said contract talks will continue this week with Brenden Morrow, who can become an unrestricted free agent next summer. Armstrong has not had discussions with restricted free agent Trevor Daley but expects the defenceman to be signed by training camp. - Dallas Morning News
Looks like the talks have already begun...

streakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 02:45 PM
  #24
Cyrrus147
Registered User
 
Cyrrus147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Throw-around idea: What sort of deal would it take for the Pens to get Brenden Morrow off your hands, keeping in mind he has only one year to UFA status? Just trying to gauge how high his value is on this board.
I'm not sure but I think that Brenden Morrow is the husband of the daugther of Guy Carbonneau. He might sign with the canadians if he's a UFA next year.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 03:53 PM
  #25
Rune Forumwalker
Registered User
 
Rune Forumwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,609
vCash: 500
Actually he probably wouldn't.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.