HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nazarov: 99% of enforcers use steroids

Old
07-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Goallum

vCash: 500
Nazarov: 99% of enforcers use steroids

Well, another day, another Russian with some interesting quotes to the local media:

Quote:
Andrei Nazarov, the only Russian "enforcer" in the history of NHL, who announced his retirement at the end of last week, made some comments regarding use of performance enhancement substances in the league.

"I spent 15 seasons in the NHL, and from my observations, 99 percent of "enforcers" there use steroids. It's always a problem for young pugilists: you have boxing technique, you have energy, but you don't have enough weight. The necessary weight is easiest to gain using special substances. By my reconning, the majority of players in the league use special substances. [Transalator's Note: he did indeed use the word "players." not "enforcers" here] And it's not surprising that no one ever gets caught. Here's an example from the last NHL regular season. Approximately four months in advance of the substance test, all players were informed of its exact date. As a result, month and a half to two month before the "d-date," the use of the "chemicals" was stopped, and everyone was "clean" on the test date," Nazarov said.

When asked who informs players about the "d-date," Nazarow replied: "IT could be anyone. The informants were from all levels, from team's managers to player agents."

Nazarov also said the following: "In general, the substance use problem in the NHL is only the tip of the iceberg. Many players are well aware that the slots on the top lines of their teams, and correspondingly high slaries, are not to be taken for granted. Sometimes you have to earn it, well, excuse me, by prostituting yourself."

http://www.sports.ru/section.html?docid=165773

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I think it's widely accepted that the NHL's drug enforcement policy isn't remotely effective, even without these informants.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:13 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
I think it's widely accepted that the NHL's drug enforcement policy isn't remotely effective, even without these informants.
I've heard that when some players get to their teens, they make "a decision" ....take certain things and have a shot at making the NHL, or don't take them and be a carreeer minor leager.

One does wonder...the effect of certain steriods is bigger, faster, stronger. They can promote quicker healing. And why are so many players losing their hair so young? And baseballs' suspected roid of choice, HCG, one of its effects is that it improves youthful apperance.I've noticed many pro players could pass for several years younger....

That said, thanks for sicking Dick Pound on us, Nazarov.
And thanks for stealing whatever innocence we had left. I suppose you're going to the school next to tell the kiddies how Santa, the easter bunny and the toothfairy aren't real?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Pepper

Somebody should show this to Don Cherry, Bill Daly and Ted Saskin.

Remember all three claiming "NHL doesn't have a drug problem"...Well no **** guys, with a testing program like that how could there be a problem when only the dumbest of the dumb get caught.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post

Remember all three claiming "NHL doesn't have a drug problem"...Well no **** guys, with a testing program like that how could there be a problem when only the dumbest of the dumb get caught.
Oh, you are going to get all sorts of apologists attacking Nazarov, Pound & others saying they dont have a clue or are lieing.
I really like it when guys stick there head in the sand or are hero worshippers who cant believe their boys would cheat to win.
Its a joke & why the NHL & NHLPA wont have the WDA do the testing & broaden the test criteria is so obvious its a joke.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Renion

Quote:
Andrei Nazarov, the only Russian "enforcer" in the history of NHL, who announced his retirement at the end of last week, made some comments regarding use of performance enhancement substances in the league.

"I spent 15 seasons in the NHL, and from my observations, 99 percent of "enforcers" there use steroids. It's always a problem for young pugilists: you have boxing technique, you have energy, but you don't have enough weight. The necessary weight is easiest to gain using special substances. By my reconning, the majority of players in the league use special substances. [Transalator's Note: he did indeed use the word "players." not "enforcers" here] And it's not surprising that no one ever gets caught. Here's an example from the last NHL regular season. Approximately four months in advance of the substance test, all players were informed of its exact date. As a result, month and a half to two month before the "d-date," the use of the "chemicals" was stopped, and everyone was "clean" on the test date," Nazarov said.

When asked who informs players about the "d-date," Nazarow replied: "IT could be anyone. The informants were from all levels, from team's managers to player agents."

Nazarov also said the following: "In general, the substance use problem in the NHL is only the tip of the iceberg. Many players are well aware that the slots on the top lines of their teams, and correspondingly high slaries, are not to be taken for granted. Sometimes you have to earn it, well, excuse me, by prostituting yourself."
Translation:

In 15 years, on 7 different teams, Nazarov supposedly witnessed 99% of the enforcers on those teams using steroids. How many enforcers were there on those 7 teams?

Nazarov's reckoning is the majority of players in the league use "special substances." Nowhere is his "reckoning" defined, unless he extrapolates that most players in the league use steroids because he has witnessed 99% of enforcers on his 7 teams using steroids.

Note:

I'm not saying there isn't a drug problem. I'm not saying the testing process isn't flawed. I'm just putting his comments into perspective. His comments aren't a huge revelation and they aren't a smoking gun, either.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Pepper

If the league didn't have a problem with stereoids they wouldn't oppose a tougher testing system.

Old
07-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Egil

How do NHL players manage to pass the WADA tests for the Olympics and World Championships? Are they tipped off about those tests as well? This, to me, this is the huge gaping hole in the Pound (and now Nazarov) argument that they have NOT been able to explain.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Renion

Quote:
If the league didn't have a problem with stereoids they wouldn't oppose a tougher testing system.
That's not entirely accurate. I don't know about you, but I'd hate to have to go through a strict testing system because my coworkers--and myself, because of them--were suspected of having drug problems.

We can't assume the resistance to stricter testing is an implication of guilt alone. Oh, I have no doubt there are lots of guilty people. But it'd be quite unfair to think that is the only motivation for any resistance to a tougher testing system.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
How do NHL players manage to pass the WADA tests for the Olympics and World Championships? Are they tipped off about those tests as well? This, to me, this is the huge gaping hole in the Pound (and now Nazarov) argument that they have NOT been able to explain.
Olympic testing happens for 6 months every 4 years, there's no testing because of WC games until the teams are named 1 month before the games.

Not exactly bulletproof testing eh?

Old
07-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Cause they know when its going to happen? During the Olympics perhaps?
Besides which, the Olys only happen once every 4 years & only those players who are picked get tested. Common sense tells me that if you think you have a chance, youd go off the Roids for a few months, no?
Why doesnt the NHLPA & NHL have an independent body do the testing & not make the testing criteria a joke. This, to me, this is the huge gaping hole in the NHL & NHLPA's argument that they have NOT been able to explain.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Kimi

Quote:
Most players don't have a chance of making the Olympic team. There'll be the normall 40 or so names and that's it. If you're one of them, just cut back until after the games. Simple.

Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Plager05

It's probably HGH and amphetimines being used mostly. Regular steriods would make you bulky to fast for hockey conditioning I would thing.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 10:26 AM
The Viking Fury

By "prostituting themselves" does he mean steroids? I didn't really get that reference

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
By "prostituting themselves" does he mean steroids? I didn't really get that reference
It was a bit tough to translate. The actual words he used are "you have to do it through the bed." Which, is an equivalent to the "selling your soul to the devil" proverb, I guess.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:05 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How big a window are they tested for? I would imagine that only those people named to the team are tested, but that only happens a few months before the games.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Not all of them do pass those tests. Didn't Berard get caught with no punishment in the NHL?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Chelios

I really don`t see why this is alarming so many of you. First of all, I wouldn`t say this is the most reputable of all sources, and it is translated. Secondly, he is talking about enforcers. So 99% of enforcers use steroids... big deal. There is at the very most one enforcer on a team (some, like Detroit, have none) so even if what he says is absolutely true (which I highly doubt) that is a grand total of 25-30 players in the NHL. And yet some of you are claiming this is running rampant. I get a kick out of those of you who say that we are just burying our heads in the ground, when there is little to know proof that there is any sort of steroid problem in the NHL. The only two players I can recall mentioning anything about steroids in the NHL were referring to tough guys only. As Egil mentioned the big whole in the argument that there is a steroid problem is that testing that goes on before (and during) Olympic games and World Championships. It is not only players named to the team, but all those who are even remote possibilities. With the world championships, nobody even knows who will be playing in them since the playoff teams aren`t decided until very shortly before the world championships begin (in fact there would not be enough time to get the steroids out of there system if they indeed were taking them.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:34 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeffyuhTJRest View Post
Not all of them do pass those tests. Didn't Berard get caught with no punishment in the NHL?
He was caught on a pre-Olympic test, not an NHL test, and therefore not subject to punishment by the NHL.

I believe he received some sort of ban from the Olympic committee though.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
It was a bit tough to translate. The actual words he used are "you have to do it through the bed." Which, is an equivalent to the "selling your soul to the devil" proverb, I guess.
I took it as meaning that they need to give sexual favors to coaches/managers

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:43 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
Thanks

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:

It's cute how many fans listen to Don Cherry and take what he says as religion. The NHL like the NBA, MLB, and the NFL all have a drug problem to a varying degree. The difference is the other 3 sports own up to it and are trying to stop it, the NHL drags it's heels and we watch the Brian Fogarty's and the John Kordic's DIE from it.

Sad state of affairs and I have no respect for the NHL because of it

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Zimmer12

This reminds me of a similar incident involving former MLB player Rafael Palmeiro.

Zimmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
As Egil mentioned the big whole in the argument that there is a steroid problem is that testing that goes on before (and during) Olympic games and World Championships. It is not only players named to the team, but all those who are even remote possibilities. With the world championships, nobody even knows who will be playing in them since the playoff teams aren`t decided until very shortly before the world championships begin (in fact there would not be enough time to get the steroids out of there system if they indeed were taking them.
For future reference, that's h-o-l-e.

Have you also considered that during the process of getting a team for the Worlds, the players are also asked "Are you on any kind of "medication" right now that would prevent you from participating?"? Besides steroid use would benefit most during off season so any usage wouldn't show 6 months later.

Last edited by Jussi: 07-18-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Good thing 100% of NHL teams are Nazarov-free.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote