HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Niklas Kronwall Trade Value....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2006, 01:58 PM
  #26
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
What has Nik Kronwall shown that justifies people calling him a top 4 defender? I haven't seen much of him, but what has he done at the NHL level that makes him so hot?
I think that's what kills his value to those outside of Detroit. He'll be 26 by midseason but he's never put together a full NHL campaign, much less a good one. Any team that acquires him would be assuming the risk that these fluky injuries are his nature and that, even if they aren't, his prowess in the international game won't translate to the NHL. Detroit, if they trade him, is assuming the risk that he will become the stud that he's projected to be. And that he's only a healthy season away from dominance.

Unless a team is absolutely desperate for a young, two-way, physical defenseman, I can't see a team taking the risk on Kronwall and matching the Wings' demands. And they will be extensive because it'll take a lot for the Wings to assume the risk that they could be trading away their only young, affordable defenseman that appears even remotely capable of playing a top line role. Detroit needs to closely guard some of their more affordable assets in order to strike a healthy balance between having superstars and fielding a well-rounded team.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 02:03 PM
  #27
Spitfire11
Registered User
 
Spitfire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
What has Nik Kronwall shown that justifies people calling him a top 4 defender? I haven't seen much of him, but what has he done at the NHL level that makes him so hot?
You can ask the same question of Malkin. Kronwall just won MVP at the World Championships and has been the AHL best Defenseman. He can rush the puck, play solid defense, hit, everything you want out of a defenseman. We've seen him play enough in the NHL to consider him a top 4 although he's definitely not a top pairing guy yet (keep in mind he was also coming off an injury). We'll see this coming season.


Last edited by Spitfire11: 07-17-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 02:13 PM
  #28
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
You can ask the same question of Malkin.
I disagree, slightly. Malkin has never had the chance to perform at the NHL level. Kronwall has, to mixed reviews. He's looked quite solid in the games he dresses, but injuries have been a problem. So, despite having a chance to register around two full seasons of NHL games, he's played in less than 50. While the basic premise is similar, Malkin hasn't had the chance yet. Kronwall has. But, for a variety of reasons, he hasn't been able to do a whole lot with it.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 02:14 PM
  #29
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
You can ask the same question of Malkin. Kronwall just won MVP at the World Championships and has been the AHL best Defenseman. He can rush the puck, play solid defense, hit, everything you want out of a defenseman. He's played enough in the NHL and we've seen enough of him to consider him a top 4 although he's definitely not a top pairing guy yet. We'll see this coming season.
2nd year in a row he's won that destinction, too. And last year when Kronwall won the Eddie Shore award as the AHL's best defenseman he beat out Pitkanen and many other talented players.

Kronwall has only shown his abilities at the NHL level during a couple of brief spurts so far. Injuries have been his nemesis as everyone has pointed out, and it is somewhat of a concern if he can stay healthy - particularly because he's a huge open ice hitter and may not have the size to support that style. The best glimpse he's given so far was against the Oilers this past playoffs. Nik played some solid defense and his PT steadily increased as the series went on. He picked up 3 helpers in the six games, not bad considering his only PP time is the leftovers from Lidstrom & Schneider.

Kronwall's value may not be as high as many Wings fans would like it to be, or believe it is... but that doesn't change our position. The fact is that Kronwall is no more likely to be traded than Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf, etc. I'm not saying he's as good as or has the potential of those guys, but given Detroit's situation (total lack of stud D prospects) he's untouchable.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 02:19 PM
  #30
TVanek26*
 
TVanek26*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buffalo,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
You can ask the same question of Malkin.

Except Malkin is 19 while Kronwall will turn 26 in January and has 50 games of NHL experience.

TVanek26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 02:43 PM
  #31
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,553
vCash: 450
Kronwall means more to Detroit than he would to other teams. Just like we Wings fans debated the Jiri Fischer rumors years ago. In terms of blueline prospects the Wings are what you could say thin. Kindl is still a project with upside but not a sure thing, Quincey is maybe a #4 dman at best, and Lebda is a decent 3rd pairing guy. We have a couple of guys in Sweden who might pan out, but it's doubtful. So Kronwall is a player we can not afford to lose right now. Especially with an older core of players like Lidstrom, Chelios and Schneider who in 2 years all three of those guys could be gone.

Yes Kronwall is pretty much untradeable for Detroit, not out of value alone, but also out of need too.

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 02:46 PM
  #32
8snake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Quite simply, when fans in Detroit (or Sweden) see a healthy Kronwall they see a budding franchise D-man. Those who only know of Kronwall based on his injury history and unfufilled potential are skeptical that Kronwall will ever become what he was touted to be.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 02:48 PM
  #33
Coffee and 7's*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 3,805
vCash: 500
Ribeiro, Ryder and a 2nd for Kronwall

(I had to say it, to see what it felt like.)

Coffee and 7's* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 03:03 PM
  #34
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Honestly, besides serious over payment of course, I think the only thing that could pry Detroit away form Kronwall would be starting goaltending on the right side of 30 with a decent playoff resume. He's good, he's young, and he has top pairing potential but his value is so low right now taht most GM's would wait for his value to go up before trading him. Detroit has some good young fowards, and a good defense, but Kronwall fills a big need (young defensemen) so the only reason they'd open up a hole in their roster like that would either be for a lateral move that ents tehm a better player or one that fills an even bigger need....sayy...long term goalie situation.


Despite the fact that Ottawa has great fowards, great defensemen, and great prospects it doesn't have something Detroit would want enough to trade for Kronwall. They wanted Gerber, but he turned down Detroit for Ottawa already and Muckler wouldn't trade a FA he just signed, and Emery doesn't have the resume that Detroit would want for Kronwall though he would probably be the basis for any trade they'd have together if Detroit actually wants him (which I doubt).


San Jose could do it maybe....

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 03:12 PM
  #35
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post
Honestly, besides serious over payment of course, I think the only thing that could pry Detroit away form Kronwall would be starting goaltending on the right side of 30 with a decent playoff resume. He's good, he's young, and he has top pairing potential but his value is so low right now taht most GM's would wait for his value to go up before trading him. Detroit has some good young fowards, and a good defense, but Kronwall fills a big need (young defensemen) so the only reason they'd open up a hole in their roster like that would either be for a lateral move that ents tehm a better player or one that fills an even bigger need....sayy...long term goalie situation.


Despite the fact that Ottawa has great fowards, great defensemen, and great prospects it doesn't have something Detroit would want enough to trade for Kronwall. They wanted Gerber, but he turned down Detroit for Ottawa already and Muckler wouldn't trade a FA he just signed, and Emery doesn't have the resume that Detroit would want for Kronwall though he would probably be the basis for any trade they'd have together if Detroit actually wants him (which I doubt).


San Jose could do it maybe....
And even that isn't a need for them, as the Wings are pinning their hopes on Jimmy Howard. Which is the one and only reason a guy like Belfour is even on the radar for them. Gerber probably picked the Sens on the basis of term. Holland has stated repeatedly this summer that he doesn't want to give out long term deals to players he doesn't see as a long term piece of the puzzle.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 03:15 PM
  #36
neopreneur
Registered User
 
neopreneur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Providenciales, TCI
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
I offer Mark Streit + Aebisher

Mark Streit is awesome is international play as well

neopreneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
  #37
DTownWingsfan
Registered User
 
DTownWingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Downingtown, PA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by porneau View Post
I offer Mark Streit + Aebisher

Mark Streit is awesome is international play as well
Detroit does not want Aebischer.

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
  #38
KzooShark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,178
vCash: 500
Because of Fischer's unfortunate heart problems and the age of the other defensemen in Detroit (Schneider, Lidstrom, Chelios), Kronwall's value to Detroit is higher then it is to most other teams, making him very unlikely to be traded, IMO.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 03:50 PM
  #39
Garp
Registered User
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Here
Country: Canada
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakdak View Post
Ribeiro, Ryder and a 2nd for Kronwall

(I had to say it, to see what it felt like.)
In fact I honestly think it would be to much. I think his value is around:
Ryder + conditionnal pick
Not enough for the wings, but it's his true value

Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 04:12 PM
  #40
shadoz19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
What has Nik Kronwall shown that justifies people calling him a top 4 defender? I haven't seen much of him, but what has he done at the NHL level that makes him so hot?
Unfortunately he had the injury at the beginning of this past season. He didn't returnuntil the olympics. Why do people think he is good? He performed extremely well at the Olympics this year and the World Championships last year and this year against NHLers. Most people who have watched him play see a lot of similiarities between him and Lidstrom.

shadoz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 04:16 PM
  #41
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19 View Post
Unfortunately he had the injury at the beginning of this past season. He didn't returnuntil the olympics. Why do people think he is good? He performed extremely well at the Olympics this year and the World Championships last year and this year against NHLers. Most people who have watched him play see a lot of similiarities between him and Lidstrom.
Lidstrom = 6-2
Kronwall = 5-11

Bit of a difference there. Esp for Dmen.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
  #42
Spitfire11
Registered User
 
Spitfire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48 View Post
Except Malkin is 19 while Kronwall will turn 26 in January and has 50 games of NHL experience.
Does that make the question any different? And nice trick with the ages.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 04:23 PM
  #43
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Lidstrom = 6-2
Kronwall = 5-11

Bit of a difference there. Esp for Dmen.
Kronwall is considerably stronger/more physical than Lidstrom.

Kronwall = 5-11
Konstantinov = 5-11

And Detroit management/coaching sees a bit of Vlad in Nik as well. A touch of Nick, a touch of Vlad. Nice combination. Though I highly doubt he'll be near as good as either one are/were. But even at 80% he'd be great.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 04:59 PM
  #44
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Does that make the question any different? And nice trick with the ages.
Quote a bit different. If a team were acquiring Malkin, they would be relatively certain that he would be able to fulfil his potential well before he became an unrestricted free agent because he would presumably play 7 full seasons with them.
Kronwall would have two seasons to make acquiring him tenable at some of the prices mentioned and there are serious doubts as to whether he could play a full season in either of them.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:08 PM
  #45
Malakhov
Registered User
 
Malakhov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Kostitsyn and a 1st from the Habs.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
  #46
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov View Post
Kostitsyn and a 1st from the Habs.
The good one?

And would we then be able to flip Datsyuk and a 3rd to get Nik back?

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:30 PM
  #47
Spitfire11
Registered User
 
Spitfire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Quote a bit different. If a team were acquiring Malkin, they would be relatively certain that he would be able to fulfil his potential well before he became an unrestricted free agent because he would presumably play 7 full seasons with them.
Kronwall would have two seasons to make acquiring him tenable at some of the prices mentioned and there are serious doubts as to whether he could play a full season in either of them.
I was referring to rohan's question not your original post. But in answer to Kronwall's trade value, I think he would cost 2 good young NHL players (at least one defenseman) and possibly a draft pick.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:09 PM
  #48
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
I was referring to rohan's question not your original post. But in answer to Kronwall's trade value, I think he would cost 2 good young NHL players (at least one defenseman) and possibly a draft pick.
Like...
Eaves/Meszaros
or
Vermette/Volchenkov
or
Kelly/Schubert ...

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:16 PM
  #49
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
No I was just saying that with our current situation and the defencemen that we have I would not trade Kronwall for Vanek. I know Vanek will be a great player someday and he is more of a safe bet then Kronwall but I do believe Kronwall can/will win a norris but I guess that is just me.
same could be said from buf. with the current d-men they have they would not trade vanek for kronwall.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:16 PM
  #50
shadoz19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Lidstrom = 6-2
Kronwall = 5-11

Bit of a difference there. Esp for Dmen.
NorrisNick had a nice comment, but I'll also add that I never said he was the same size. Just reminds a lot people who watch him of Lidstrom.

shadoz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.