HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators Sign a Handful of Free agents...

Old
07-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Predators Sign a Handful of Free agents...

Nolan Yonkman - 25 year old defenseman (HUGE, 6'6 245)
Shane Endicott - 24 year old center
Pat Leahy - 27 year old right wing
Karl Goehring - 27 year old goalie

Brandon Segal was also resigned.

Yonkman was a former second round pick, Endicott's shine as a prospect has worn out and he is nothing more than a 4th liner....All of these signings are for the Milwuakee, but we need to get our Admiral fans to keep an eye on Yonkman...I would love to have him be able to provide a 5-7 role on the Predators in the future (although I suspect if he can't crack Washington's lineup....he doesn't have much potential as an NHL player...who knows.)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=171558&hubname=nhl

07-17-2006, 04:57 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Seriously, you should pray Endicott never play on your NHL club. The Pens bought him out, and us fans jumped for joy.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:08 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero View Post
Seriously, you should pray Endicott never play on your NHL club. The Pens bought him out, and us fans jumped for joy.
I'm sure Shero has informed Poile of Endicott's abilities.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Patrick Traverse defending Shane Endicott in a Sharks-Preds game would be a nightmare for fans of both teams.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero View Post
Seriously. He's like a china doll but with less mobility.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Goehring is a pretty good AHL goalie, what's your net situation like for the Ads this season? Goehring and Rinne? If so, that's a pretty good duo.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 06:56 PM
skullman80

Send a message via AIM to skullman80 Send a message via Yahoo to skullman80
You guys have my condolenses on picking up Shane Endicott. I would never wish him, even on my worst enemy.

skullman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Thundermare

Yonkman would be a nice pick up for most team... but the Preds is a bad choice for him... I mean with the depth... hum... strange choice for him and his agent

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Goehring is a pretty good AHL goalie, what's your net situation like for the Ads this season? Goehring and Rinne? If so, that's a pretty good duo.
Yes, it will be Rinne and Goehring in Milwaukee this season. Assuming that Edmonton does indeed send Milwaukee players as well...I guess they won't be sending a goalie.

I agree that Milwaukee will have one of the best duos in the AHL next season. I have seen Goehring play in Syracuse and for Houston and have always thought he was a solid AHL'er and project NHL backup. Rinne will take the reins at the start of the season I believe and even Chris Mason has mentioned that there is a good chance that Rinne will replace Mason in Nashville by season's end, so I wouldn't be surprised if Goehring is being looked upon to be the starter in Milwaukee should Vokoun not be cleared and Rinne is in Nashville to begin the season or if Rinne does in fact force the Predators to move Mason during the season.

Good signing IMO.

Endicott much like Finley is being given a chance to prove himself in a new environment. He is no longer a second round pick and doesn't have any expectations on him except for him to show what he is really made of. He is a project player and at this point is no more than an AHL level depth player in the organization. Nothing really to lose with the signing...as long as he's not in Nashville.

Yonkman is another project and will be given a new chance in Milwaukee. Right now he too is an AHL defenseman with that evil term attached to his name "potential". Look for him to be given the opportunity to compete with Zanon at camp for the 7th position (along with Lehtonen, etc), but more than likely be among the first sent to Milwaukee.

Leahy showed he can play as a role player in the NHL last season, but I think both he and the Predators probably want more out of him in the scoring department. He will be sent to Milwaukee and will be put on a scoring line. I for one would like to see if he can turn into a third line player eventually in the Adam Hall (15 goal, defensive stalwart) role.

Just my thoughts...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Stars-Preds

I like the Yonkman signing for depth purposes. It is strange that he chose to come to Nashville where defense is an organizational strength.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by leg11wand View Post
I like the Yonkman signing for depth purposes. It is strange that he chose to come to Nashville where defense is an organizational strength.
maybe he wants to learn from good defensively sound-mind coaches

The Endicott signing ... we know he's going to spend the entire year in Milwaukee

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
All of these signings are for the Milwuakee, but we need to get our Admiral fans to keep an eye on Yonkman...I would love to have him be able to provide a 5-7 role on the Predators in the future (although I suspect if he can't crack Washington's lineup....he doesn't have much potential as an NHL player...who knows.)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=171558&hubname=nhl

it's not because of his skill set or potential, it's just and only because of his constant injuries... if he's not too banged up and therefore is able to play continuous stretches/seasons, he might still become a top-four or at least top-six defenseman.

not a bad skater for his size, but his puckhandling needs further refinement as needs his agility. though, he's still young and if he can hang onto it, he can improve the minor flaws in his game.

talent-wise he's definetely an nhl blueliner... but ya know, potential is like a christmas present, put in a carton wrapped in gift wrapping paper with a tie around it... you still need to open it

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:43 AM
handtrick

Fenton on Endicott: “Endicott is guy we thought could be a No. 2 or No. 3 center,” Fenton said. “He has a lot of skill for his size. I think he has been used in more of a defensive role with Pittsburgh.”

Fenton on Yonkman: “He really used his stick well,” Fenton said. “He is more of a defensive defensemen. He will play with an edge when he has to do it. He will finish off an opponent with some authority. His game is to get the puck up the ice, defend his space and let the forwards do the work on offense.”

Fenton on Goerhing: “We have known Karl for an awfully long time,” Fenton said. “He is a smaller goaltender who kind of gets overlooked. He is extremely athletic. He is a competitor. In all my years of watching him play he has been nothing but a winner.”

Fenton on Leahy: “I got to watch him quite a bit last year playing for Boston,” Fenton said. “He was sacrificing his body. He was a kid who did everything to be seen and earn some ice time.”

Fenton on the Brandon Segal signing: “This is his make it or break it year,” Fenton said. “It is up to him now. He has to put numbers on the board. He has to indicate what his game will truly be like as an NHL player. Last year in training camp he made an impression and an appearance. Now he has to prove he is willing and able to take it to the next level.”

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=51040

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Major

Yonkman gets hurt....

.... a lot

Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Fenton on Endicott: “Endicott is guy we thought could be a No. 2 or No. 3 center,” Fenton said. “He has a lot of skill for his size. I think he has been used in more of a defensive role with Pittsburgh.”
I would interpret this to mean, he will get a shot to knock off Fiddler in training camp, but...he isn't a defensive center, therefore...he will have to prove himself as a scoring line center...in Milwaukee.

Quote:
Fenton on Yonkman: “He really used his stick well,” Fenton said. “He is more of a defensive defensemen. He will play with an edge when he has to do it. He will finish off an opponent with some authority. His game is to get the puck up the ice, defend his space and let the forwards do the work on offense.”
Don't have high expectations for him, if he noticed...hopefully it will be for a big hit rather than a defensive blunder. Realistically, this is a guy that the less you notice him (outside of his physical presence), the better game he might be having. I think he will be given the opportunity to compete for the 7th spot, but will more than likely be sent to Milwaukee and battle for position on the callup list.

Quote:
Fenton on Goerhing: “We have known Karl for an awfully long time,” Fenton said. “He is a smaller goaltender who kind of gets overlooked. He is extremely athletic. He is a competitor. In all my years of watching him play he has been nothing but a winner.”
This guy is someone you may have never heard of, but...he is a winner. He will add depth to our organization in a spot we aren't too deep on and will be a great addition...for Milwaukee.

Quote:
Fenton on Leahy: “I got to watch him quite a bit last year playing for Boston,” Fenton said. “He was sacrificing his body. He was a kid who did everything to be seen and earn some ice time.”
He caught my attention last season as a hard-working player that makes in impact with every shift. He is Predators material, a hard-worker who doesn't mind throwing the throwing the body. Needs to improve his offensive game and will get the opportunity to do so...in Milwaukee.

Quote:
Fenton on the Brandon Segal signing: “This is his make it or break it year,” Fenton said. “It is up to him now. He has to put numbers on the board. He has to indicate what his game will truly be like as an NHL player. Last year in training camp he made an impression and an appearance. Now he has to prove he is willing and able to take it to the next level.”
Straight up, I'm calling you out...if you want to remain on our NHL roster with a two-way contract...this is the year to do it. If you don't step up, you will either be in Milwaukee on an AHL contract or you will be packing your bags and will wind up in another organization...with an AHL contract.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=51040[/QUOTE]

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:05 AM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
Yonkman would be a nice pick up for most team... but the Preds is a bad choice for him... I mean with the depth... hum... strange choice for him and his agent
Were I a 5'11-6'1 puck moving defenseman that has not reached my potential, i'd probably fire my agent if he even suggested the Preds.

I think it's not a bad choice by him and his agent. Anywhere he goes he's going to have to stay healthy and wow a team to make it. Why not go to a team in need of size with a question about the 6th defenseman and youth for 3 of the top 5? If he does what he needs to do to make the team in camp and preseason, his size will give him a chance to be the first call up at worst. Also, the preds might need to turn one of the Big 5 into a goalie or a center during the season, further opening the door.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:03 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Yonkman gets hurt....

.... a lot
He also hurts his own teammates

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Uppercorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
This guy is someone you may have never heard of, but...he is a winner. He will add depth to our organization in a spot we aren't too deep on and will be a great addition...for Milwaukee.

Goehring. Oh boy. Have you seen Spinal Tap (the movie)? Then you know that the band decided to have a huge Stonehenge theme as their stage prop. Too bad, they only got a miniature set of the stonehenge rocks, appr. 2 feet tall. Well, that's exactly what happened with Goehring in Finland. His GM thought they had sent him only the miniature action figure of a goalie instead of the real one.

He was bad last season and luckily he is small so he can use the size as a scapegoat.

Uppercorner is offline   Reply With Quote