HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calder a future captain

Old
07-17-2006, 07:22 PM
moglesby

vCash: 500
Calder a future captain

Is Kyle Calder a future captain for the hawks (or another team)? Is he a good leader?

Someone mentioned him as a future captain on the main board...I had never thought of him as one and I'm curious.

moglesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Hawkalyzer

Doubt it, unless he shows that he wants to stay here.

Hawkalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 08:50 PM
salty justice

Should have been named captain last year. Not doing so is gonna lead to him not being with the team anymore.

He could be the captain of half the teams in the league after a season.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Chelios

I`m still holding out hope that Calder will remain a Blackhawks for at least one more year and hopefully longer. I disagree with you Salty that not giving him the "C" last year will cause him to move on simply because that is not the type of guy he is. He is the type of guy who goes out there every night not because he wants to be rewarded with a trivial "C" on his jersey instead of an "A", but because that is the way he knows how to play the game. I think this entire "Calder is going to be traded" rumour is simply a ploy by his agent to get a better deal out of the Blackhawks. I have a feeling the Blackhawks will hold on to him for next year, try to work out a deal throughout the year and then, worst case, trade him at the deadline. The Hawks realize that this is exactly the type of guy we need around our kids to help them become the best players they can.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:35 AM
who_me?

STOP THE MADNESS!

Let's make clear what Calder is and is not:

He is a hardworking but skill-less player who had the luxury of playing with Amonte and Zhamnov his rookie year.

He is NOT a Yzerman or Brind-amour type of leader. The Blackhawks for the longest time haven't had a real leader and apparently its fans have forgotten what a real leader is.

A true leader makes other players around him play better. Calder's supposed best friend off the ice was Bell and look what a lazy bum he was.

A true leader has skills to make or break a game. Pittsburgh in a few years will have Crosby as its captain; Washington will have Ovechkin as its captain... St Louis will have Johnson as its captain.... and Chicago is gonna have as its captain... Calder?!?!?

Calder on a decent team is only a 3rd liner. He does not have some sort of voodoo intangible powers. And he is not the greatest player in NHL history to play along the boards.

And for his skills, he is definitely not worth more than $1.3M he is paid now. Apparently he's gotten it into his head that he's bigger than he really is. So I say, adios Kyle, thanks for the memories, but sayonara!

who_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:30 AM
salty justice

You dont have to score the most points on your team or be a high draft pick in order to captain a team.

If you knew a damn thing about hockey you would know this.

Please stop embarassing your fellow Hawk fans by posting such dribble.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Wally112pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_me? View Post
STOP THE MADNESS!

Let's make clear what Calder is and is not:

He is a hardworking but skill-less player who had the luxury of playing with Amonte and Zhamnov his rookie year.

He is NOT a Yzerman or Brind-amour type of leader. The Blackhawks for the longest time haven't had a real leader and apparently its fans have forgotten what a real leader is.

A true leader makes other players around him play better. Calder's supposed best friend off the ice was Bell and look what a lazy bum he was.

A true leader has skills to make or break a game. Pittsburgh in a few years will have Crosby as its captain; Washington will have Ovechkin as its captain... St Louis will have Johnson as its captain.... and Chicago is gonna have as its captain... Calder?!?!?

Calder on a decent team is only a 3rd liner. He does not have some sort of voodoo intangible powers. And he is not the greatest player in NHL history to play along the boards.

And for his skills, he is definitely not worth more than $1.3M he is paid now. Apparently he's gotten it into his head that he's bigger than he really is. So I say, adios Kyle, thanks for the memories, but sayonara!
This coming from the person who hates almost every Hawk player from Keith to Yawney. Why do you like the team if you just slag the players/coaches non stop?

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Stuy

I don't think he is really even a Hawks fan.

A leader doesn't have to be a Stevie Y type guy.

There are lots of team leaders out there who are guys like Calder.

Also Calder is all but gone. He'll be moved before is arbitration date.

Stuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:10 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
I too trhought Calder should've been named captain instead of a new guy to the team like Aucoin.

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:51 PM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice
Should have been named captain last year. Not doing so is gonna lead to him not being with the team anymore.
What a joke. You honestly belive this is the reason why he's leaving? Or could it be that the team sucks or maybe *gasp* money? LOL
Quote:
He could be the captain of half the teams in the league after a season.
Laughable. Please name the teams.
Quote:
You dont have to score the most points on your team or be a high draft pick in order to captain a team.
If you knew a damn thing about hockey you would know this.
Who said otherwise? I gave you reasons why he shouldn't; you have yet to post why he should.
Quote:
Please stop embarassing your fellow Hawk fans by posting such dribble.
When you post drivel like "Calder could be captain on half of the teams" it is really you who is embarassing fellow Hawks fans. Really.

Last edited by who_me?: 07-18-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old
07-18-2006, 12:54 PM
who_me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
I too trhought Calder should've been named captain instead of a new guy to the team like Aucoin.
It was a team vote and apparently most of the players thought Aucoin was more worthy. Also, Bell and Calder are good friends off ice and it is known that Bell is not exactly captain material so you can figure out the math.

Old
07-18-2006, 02:25 PM
In The Flesh

If Calder stays or not, next year it should be either Aucoin or Lapointe.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 02:54 PM
fullmetalninja

YOu don't have to be the best player on your team to be a captain, that is true.

But what is Calder? He isn't the guy who drills someone to get the teams energy going (that's ruutu). He isn't the guy that goes and throws down with the Boogeyman because he was running players (that was Vandermeer).

I agree, the Cult of Calder is ridiculous. His play has never been consistent enough to warrant such adoration from the fans.

It's like the Vandenbussche love...

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Hawkhead

Why are u guys slagging on Calder, Blackhawk fans dont like him cause hes great as you guys think we do.

We love him because he is an old school hawk, he leaves it all on the ice and FMN he has been our most consistent player for a few years now. And he is a great leader and who me?

judging by your logic we should throw captain to Havlat right now. Two words DIRK GRAHAM

Hawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja View Post
I agree, the Cult of Calder is ridiculous. His play has never been consistent enough to warrant such adoration from the fans.
Even though its true that Blackhawk fans have had to lower their standards over the years in what they should expect out of their team and players, Calder does deserve, arguably, more adoration than any player that's been here over this recent dynasty of suckage.

He'd probably not garner this "Cult" following which you speak of if/when he is on another team, but when a player like Kyle comes through town and stands above, in heart and effort, some of the garbage we've seen recently, is it really that hard to wonder why some fans put him on such a high pedestal?

Last edited by Gardebut30: 07-19-2006 at 09:40 PM. Reason: because i can
Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:03 AM
fullmetalninja

Kyle was a big part of that garbage..

Sorry I don't see the allure, never have. Guy doesn't hit, doesn't fight, isn't great defensively and he can't shoot or carry the puck.

He will score 20-25 goals by having the puck bounce in off his bean if you give him ice time (and PP time). But to say he is consistent is to ignore reality.

He is a great worker- I'll give him that. He also had by far his best season last year, but I'm not sure if that was a byproduct of the new rules or the increased ice time. I lean towards the latter.

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 02:11 PM
EtownHawksFan

Calder

Calder is a good kid from Alberta who busts his a*s and has decent skills, it's too bad it looks like he is gone. What would you guys think of giving his apple to Smolinski if he leaves?

EtownHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Hawkhead

Quote:

Sorry I don't see the allure, never have. Guy doesn't hit, doesn't fight, isn't great defensively and he can't shoot or carry the puck.

He will score 20-25 goals by having the puck bounce in off his bean if you give him ice time (and PP time). But to say he is consistent is to ignore reality.

He is a great worker- I'll give him that. He also had by far his best season last year, but I'm not sure if that was a byproduct of the new rules or the increased ice time. I lean towards the latter.

-fullmetalninja
He is consistent, he consistently works his *** off and shows up every day at the rink whether it be to practice or play.. hes not injury prone either. And yes he does hit, he grinds on the boards like a mad man hence the name "grease" you dont gotta knock a guy on his *** to "hit".

He does have skills, Calder is fast and has a nice pair of hands look at his goal vs. SJ he roofs it with one hand. He's also a good passer

Hawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:

-fullmetalninja
Are you calling Calder garbage because you're looking at the player he is and what he's brought to the Hawks on and off the ice?

Or are you looking at him as the player you want him to be and by not living up to impossible standards, you then label him garbage?

You nitpick him for:

-Not fighting: do you look for that out of him?

-Not hitting: yes he hits but doesn't go out of his way to do it. He works the boards and stays on his feet in front of the net (something nobody gives him credit for).

-Not great defensively: does this mean he sucks or is just ok? He didn't attend the same hockey school as Lehtinen obviously so...

-Can't carry the puck: doesn't carry it like a magician, but he gets by, i'll say that

-Can't shoot: he's no Kovalchuk, but he can't shoot? he does all his shooting from in close so what are you looking for again?

-His increased ice time can be the reason for his inflated goals/stats, but free goals aren't handed out as a bonus with every extra 50 minutes played per month. Point being, increased ice time involves increased effort and playing against the other teams better defenders, which he did on an offensively-starved team.

What you see is what you get with Calder. If you think he's a garbage player within his own style of play fine. Can't and won't try to change your mind.

But if you think he's garbage because he's not dominant, you're shortchanging the guy.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

I'd take Calder on my team any day. Great player. Very much resembles an early version of Brind'amour.

Last edited by Crazy_Ike: 07-20-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Wally112pac

The guy plays a lot like Ryan Smyth. Smyth isn't the most skilled guy either but he works hard and maximizes the skills he has.

Calder is also great at tippin in pucks.

Wally112pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Ezflow

Here is a good example of what Calder brings to your team.

http://www.nhl.com/video/app?compone...V&sp=1044&sp=2

The guy just steps it up when the team needs it. A great leader.

Ezflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 03:06 AM
bfire

yeah i could see it..he brings alot to the table, go Kyle!

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote