HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Maple Leafs sign F Mike Peca -- 1 yr/2.5m

Old
07-18-2006, 03:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlio lemieux View Post
I just hope him and Tucker can get along.

I was thinking about that for a while today. Now is a good time to smooth that over.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 04:51 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
We picked up a salary that came with him after the NYI trade - and not one Oiler fan will say that he was worth it. The guy is worth $2 million tops and that is likely all the Oilers offered this off-season - the team was only interested in his return at a substantial discount.

Fact of the matter is the Oilers DID pay 4 million last year, and they must have thought it was worthwhile because, no matter how much fancy nancy talk you attempt, they ACQUIRED the contract.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 04:53 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I was thinking about that for a while today. Now is a good time to smooth that over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Peca did state at the press conference that they haven't kissed yet. Yes, I believe he added a yet to the end of that sentence.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 05:04 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbth View Post
I am going by last season, yes he may improve, but hes far from the goalie he was his first season. It's such a drastic drop-off that is concerning, from rookie of the year to nothing the next season, not exactly the trend i'd want to see in my starting goalie.

Kubina is ok in his own end, but that is hardly what he is known for around the league. Toronto needed a defensive defensmen that could play in the top 4 and they got another offensive powerplay guy. I don't see that making them better.

TO has just made some terrible decisions lately Allison, Lindros, Oneil, all those last off season turned out to suck. So far they are hoping this off season that Gill will improve, Raycroft will bounce back, Peca can rebound from a bad season. Id just want a couple of more solid signings if i was a TO fan, i don't see these signings being anything more than a stop-gap, not really improving the team much.

Paul maurice is being hampered by JFJ already he wanted to play an up-tempo game and JFJ goes and gets him Gill and Peca?

A couple more signings for what reason? The Leafs had defensive problems last year. JFJ signed 2 defencemen and a defensive forward. Even though Aubin went undefeated last year at the end of the season, JFJ tried to upgrade the goalie position which he just may have. They had no problems scoring goals last year.. offence wasn't an issue.. it was the defence and goalie position. Would I have loved the Leafs to get a forward for Sundin? Sure, but I'm not too worried about it. Lots of contracts expiring next year for the Leafs and a lot of forwards will probably be available.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Because everyone wants to be a Leaf! hey do you know when the last superstar actually signed with them?
How many superstars are in this league exactly? Like, 10? And of those players, how many have walked away from their teams in the past few years? There's Forsberg (pushed out, rather), and um, Niedermayer? Does Niedermayer even qualify? No, probably not. Not quite a superstar, in the Jagr mold.

If you're maybe willing to lower the standards, I'd be happy to list a few 'name' players. There was Alexander Mogilny, Ed Belfour, Owen Nolan signed an extension, Joe Nieuwendyk left his Stanley Cup compadres for Toronto, Bryan McCabe, Tomas Kaberle, Pavel Kubina to a lesser extent, perhaps Raycroft will return to his star form, and there would be another who signed an extension.

Of all the things in the world to attack this organization over, their ability to acquire free agents just kind of seems like the dumbest thing to pick.

07-18-2006, 06:14 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Of all the things in the world to attack this organization over, their ability to acquire free agents just kind of seems like the dumbest thing to pick.
All the players you listed are OLD. OLD. Typical LAFFS.

BlueAndWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
All the players you listed are OLD. OLD. Typical LAFFS.
And overpaid.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Hey! Let me play..

"OMG Peca wants to play for the Leafs? At a discount?

The Leafs are such losers! jajajajajaja"

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:25 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon View Post
Fact of the matter is the Oilers DID pay 4 million last year, and they must have thought it was worthwhile because, no matter how much fancy nancy talk you attempt, they ACQUIRED the contract.

This is also to Garbs.

You can't take into account previous contracts. The Oilers felt that the $4 million contract was acceptable, based on expectations that he would at least contribute and play as solid as he did through his time in New York.

It doesn't mean that the Oilers would be happy paying $4 million for him now, just because they paid him $4 million the previous season.

Imagine you acquire a 100 point player that costs $7 million. When he plays for you (this is an extreme example to serve a point), he gets 20 points. Would you still have no qualms about signing him for $7 million again? After all, you paid him that much before, so naturally you felt it was worth it.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
This is also to Garbs.

You can't take into account previous contracts. The Oilers felt that the $4 million contract was acceptable, based on expectations that he would at least contribute and play as solid as he did through his time in New York.

It doesn't mean that the Oilers would be happy paying $4 million for him now, just because they paid him $4 million the previous season.

Imagine you acquire a 100 point player that costs $7 million. When he plays for you (this is an extreme example to serve a point), he gets 20 points. Would you still have no qualms about signing him for $7 million again? After all, you paid him that much before, so naturally you felt it was worth it.
Of course we can take previously signed contracts into account. Edmonton acquired him for that amount. They felt that was an acceptable price tag. Your team willingly paid him that.

I'm not understanding what you're even saying, really. You acquired a $4 million dollar player with the expectation that he will perform like a man should at that price tag. He didn't, and you weren't willing to give it to him again. The Leafs brought him in at $2.5 million with the expectations that he will perform like a man should at that price tag. If he doesn't, you won't see him back. Just like the Edmonton wouldn't want to pay him $4 million now, you won't be seeing the Leaf chomping at the bit to pay him a similar salary next year if he has another bad season.

What exactly is the difference here? Edmonton brought him in after two bad seasons, had faith that he'd recover, and earn his paycheck. Toronto is bringing him in after an even worse season, have faith he'll recover, and earn his paycheck (A lower paycheck that correlates with an especially bad season by his standards). There is no difference, yet. You paid him a salary that complemented your expectations of him, and we're doing the same.

Nobody is questioning whether or not Edmonton would have signed Peca this offseason at all. They weren't. But the fact of the matter is that at one time, not too long ago from today, they felt he was worth $2.5 million and more.

Look, someone made the point that Edmonton would never give Peca $2.5 million, my simple rebuttal was that they did give him that, plus much much more. It's not really worth an in depth discussion.

Old
07-18-2006, 08:02 PM
bcrt2000

The big thing here is that Peca isn't a player who will bring the playoffs to your doorstep. But he'll help take you from the first round to the last round.

The Leafs aren't at the stage that they need that type of player.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:01 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Of course we can take previously signed contracts into account. Edmonton acquired him for that amount. They felt that was an acceptable price tag. Your team willingly paid him that.

I'm not understanding what you're even saying, really. You acquired a $4 million dollar player with the expectation that he will perform like a man should at that price tag. He didn't, and you weren't willing to give it to him again. The Leafs brought him in at $2.5 million with the expectations that he will perform like a man should at that price tag. If he doesn't, you won't see him back. Just like the Edmonton wouldn't want to pay him $4 million now, you won't be seeing the Leaf chomping at the bit to pay him a similar salary next year if he has another bad season.

What exactly is the difference here? Edmonton brought him in after two bad seasons, had faith that he'd recover, and earn his paycheck. Toronto is bringing him in after an even worse season, have faith he'll recover, and earn his paycheck (A lower paycheck that correlates with an especially bad season by his standards). There is no difference, yet. You paid him a salary that complemented your expectations of him, and we're doing the same.

Nobody is questioning whether or not Edmonton would have signed Peca this offseason at all. They weren't. But the fact of the matter is that at one time, not too long ago from today, they felt he was worth $2.5 million and more.

Look, someone made the point that Edmonton would never give Peca $2.5 million, my simple rebuttal was that they did give him that, plus much much more. It's not really worth an in depth discussion.
Because, after seeing how someone performed, they'd realize whether or not he was worth it.

It's in the past, and not as relevant to the present as you may think.

But hey, I guess Bobby Holik will have no problems signing for a similar dollar value. I mean, the Rangers and the Thrashers had no problems paying it. I'm sure they'd be glad to have him back at $9 million when his contract expires.

The funny thing is that you seemed to perfectly grasp all of this in your first few paragraphs (you even outright stated that Edmonton wouldn't pay $4 million for him now). Yes, at the time Edmonton felt Peca was worth $4 million dollars. I doubt they do now. Hence, stating that the Oilers previously had paid him $4 million dollars doesn't mean much regarding how much they'd pay him now. Unless you're trying to tell me that if Peca underachieves, gets a handful of points and all around plays poorly, you'd still have no problems signing him for $2.5 million next season. Somehow I doubt it (as you said).

It's perfectly to make a supposition that Edmonton wouldn't have paid Peca even $2.5 million this season, yet you felt the need to chime in that they paid $4 million for him in the past. So what? If, after that season, Edmonton doesn't feel he's even worth $2.5 million (and they'd know, since he actually played for them), then fine. Fair statement. No need to chime in about how they paid him $4 million in the past.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:04 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
The big thing here is that Peca isn't a player who will bring the playoffs to your doorstep. But he'll help take you from the first round to the last round.

The Leafs aren't at the stage that they need that type of player.
The Leafs finished 2 points out of the playoffs.

BlueAndWhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
bfire

Good signing..every team needs players who give it their all

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite View Post
The Leafs finished 2 points out of the playoffs.
And had the same amount of wins as Edmonton.

Sebastien Centomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan View Post
Because it was Toronto that signed him. Therefore the Leafs "overpaid for him."

However, if Buffalo or the New York Islanders had signed him for the same price, it would have been labeled a "great" signing.

It's just Leafs-haters trolling.
Actually, given what the Sabres pay-scale is... that deal would be gross overspending for Buffalo.

07-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Because, after seeing how someone performed, they'd realize whether or not he was worth it.

It's in the past, and not as relevant to the present as you may think.

But hey, I guess Bobby Holik will have no problems signing for a similar dollar value. I mean, the Rangers and the Thrashers had no problems paying it. I'm sure they'd be glad to have him back at $9 million when his contract expires.

The funny thing is that you seemed to perfectly grasp all of this in your first few paragraphs (you even outright stated that Edmonton wouldn't pay $4 million for him now). Yes, at the time Edmonton felt Peca was worth $4 million dollars. I doubt they do now. Hence, stating that the Oilers previously had paid him $4 million dollars doesn't mean much regarding how much they'd pay him now. Unless you're trying to tell me that if Peca underachieves, gets a handful of points and all around plays poorly, you'd still have no problems signing him for $2.5 million next season. Somehow I doubt it (as you said).

It's perfectly to make a supposition that Edmonton wouldn't have paid Peca even $2.5 million this season, yet you felt the need to chime in that they paid $4 million for him in the past. So what? If, after that season, Edmonton doesn't feel he's even worth $2.5 million (and they'd know, since he actually played for them), then fine. Fair statement. No need to chime in about how they paid him $4 million in the past.
Who are you to dictate what I do and do not post on this board? If an Edmonton fan looking for fun in a Toronto thread wants to post that their organization would never pay Michael Peca $2.5 million dollars, I'm going to point out the stupidity.

If Michael Peca has a 21 point season, we don't make the playoffs, and he goes on to sign with Buffalo for $1.75 million dollars, I'm not going to be a big enough fool to suggest my team would never give him that kind of money after such a sub par season. Because they did, and Edmonton once did. Do you understand?

I would say Edmonton trading for, and paying him $4 million dollars after a 40 point rather substandard season is on par with Toronto signing him for $2.5 million for a 23 point substandard (understatement) season, plus notable playoff performance. Edmonton having enough smarts to not resign him is not relevant. Not relevant because Toronto won't resign him either if he's bad. That doesn't erase the fact that both organizations once believed he is worth what they paid him.

Honestly, I don't even know what I'm arguing anymore, this is so silly.

Old
07-18-2006, 10:26 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrul View Post
what they have lost is cap space now, at $2.5 mil the leafs are locked into the cap now probably at $43 mil,

while obtaining a strong two way center that can play on the 2nd line... darn, really, i don't see any logic in using this as a point to call down this move

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
mr gib

god - the media the media - you think the leafs signed bobby hull - the guy signed for almost half of what he made last year - poor mats - soldier on

mr gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Platapie

Quote:
It's perfectly to make a supposition that Edmonton wouldn't have paid Peca even $2.5 million this season
Perhaps, but he fills less of a need on your team. Your squad doesn't require a third line checker like the Leafs do, nor did you have our defensive woes.

I still think, if he was willing to stay, that you'd have offered similar-- at one year he provides something substantial plus the hopes of rebounding. IMO it's a moot issue since he didn't want to stay, thus I highly doubt contracts even got to the dollar figure discussions unless he wanted to use it as a reference.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 07:05 AM
OvechkinDomination*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs View Post
Hey! Let me play..

"OMG Peca wants to play for the Leafs? At a discount?

The Leafs are such losers! jajajajajaja"
Let me try!

''Raycroft is the Leafs goalie? omg he's so old and washed up!11 all leaf fans say they will win the stanley cup every year even though they're just worrying right now about making the playoffs lmlamamalmalmaoaoa !!!1111''

OvechkinDomination* is offline   Reply With Quote