HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Trade Proposal: NJ and Edmonton

Old
07-18-2006, 05:44 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Trade Proposal: NJ and Edmonton

To New Jersey: Torres+1st
To Edmonton:Martin+Mogilny

New Jersey gets help from there cap by getting rid of Mogilny, as well as getting a young player in torres who scored 27 goals last year playing limited minutes, along with a first (Edmontons or Anehiems I don't care)

Edmonton gets Mogilny who could be used to stop the gap with the loss of Torres until a prospect can fill in (I know he plays on the opposite wing), and I think that Mogilny could play very good for the Oilers, he had 25 points in 34 games, and like many players who took the lockout year off, I think he would have improved throughout the season. Edmonton also gets a very good young defeseman in Martin who can help on the powerplay.

Thoughts? I'm not sure either team will go for it, but I'd like it.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Askel

Take out the first and its more even right now its an overpayment from the oilers IMO.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Spawn

I guess it might be, I think that Martin is more valuable than Torres personally, how about a 2nd or 3rd instead of the 1st?

Old
07-18-2006, 06:54 AM
Askel

I think mogilny has a negative value though.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Iceman78

Martin won't be traded. If not this year, then next year he will be our clear-cut no. 1 when we open up for the first time in Newark.

Iceman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:08 AM
LimpDave

Mogilny has negative value based on his contract mostly, and Edmonton isn't necessarily looking for young defenseman

LimpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:54 AM
HBK27

Martin isn't going anywhere.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:45 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Big no from Edmonton. Torres > Martin imho.

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:48 AM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Big no from Edmonton. Torres > Martin imho.
Well YHO is wrong. There are three dozen Torres types in the league; Martin is a quick young defenseman with great instincts and the potential to be a very good power-play quarterback. He'll be a top two guy in about two years.

NJD Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:52 AM
insider

How about Hale?

Not for Torres, but he might be of interest?

insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Mr.Brownov*

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Brownov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester View Post
Well YHO is wrong. There are three dozen Torres types in the league; Martin is a quick young defenseman with great instincts and the potential to be a very good power-play quarterback. He'll be a top two guy in about two years.

I think s7ark is right. Martin's value isn't near Torres' right now. And if Paul is going to be as good as you think he may be, then why do you want to move him for Torres who is 1 out of 36? If it's just to dump Mogilny on another team, then you're going the wrong way about it.

Mr.Brownov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Canucks19*

first of, i think its better just to keep torres, and u can probably get mogilny for a 7th rounder, but this proposal is horrible for edm, nj would sign in one sec.

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks19 View Post
first of, i think its better just to keep torres, and u can probably get mogilny for a 7th rounder, but this proposal is horrible for edm, nj would sign in one sec.
I'm sure NJ would be willing to take a hit if it meant trading away Mogilny. As mentioned he has negative value for NJ, so his value is close to about him + a pick for nothing.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:13 AM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
I think s7ark is right. Martin's value isn't near Torres' right now. And if Paul is going to be as good as you think he may be, then why do you want to move him for Torres who is 1 out of 36? If it's just to dump Mogilny on another team, then you're going the wrong way about it.
We don't want to move him for Torres. This was proposed by an Oilers fan. The mere thought of this trade makes me sick. Martin > Torres.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:35 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
How about Hale?

Not for Torres, but he might be of interest?
Good lord, no. How many bottom-pairing guys can we carry at once?

As for Martin... pfff. If the idea of getting Torres and a 1st and unloading Mogilny's cap space in exchange for Paul Martin makes Devils fans want to puke, then there's just no point in discussing this any further. Paul Martin is apparently the next Dion Phaneuf.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:49 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester View Post
36 Torres types in the league hey? Care to name them? Keep in mind these guys must be under 24 and have always scored 20 or more in a full NHL season(or have that potential) while playing a physical game. Horton? Bernier? That is the upside Torres has (think 40g PF in 2 years). If you doubt me ask Canuck/Shark fans what they think of him. They know his game all too well.

And Martin didn't look good at all this year now that he isn't sheltered by Neidermeyer. Kind of like the difference between Bergeron with Pronger to Bergeron without. Also if Martin is sure fire top 2 guy in 2 years, then how come everyone has him signing for 1M next season? If he has that kind of potential then you'd think his agent would be pushing for at least 1.8-2.0

Torres>Martin

Old
07-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
And Martin didn't look good at all this year now that he isn't sheltered by Neidermeyer. Kind of like the difference between Bergeron with Pronger to Bergeron without. Also if Martin is sure fire top 2 guy in 2 years, then how come everyone has him signing for 1M next season? If he has that kind of potential then you'd think his agent would be pushing for at least 1.8-2.0
Is that a joke? Martin was very good this season. Yeah, I guess Lou just puts chumps on the shutdown unit that faces guys like Jagr and Forsberg every game.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Master Lok

How about we just stop with the insults and just say that neither team would do this trade. Fine? IMO - this is a terrible trade and does not address the Oilers needs. If the Oilers trade Torres, this opens up a hole on the LW. And we GET Mogilny? The OP said that he KNEW Mogilny plays RW - so what's the point in picking him up then? The Oilers already have Lupul and Hemsky at RW.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Traktor*

Torres was drafted 5th overall in 2000. Last season he showed why he was drafted 5th overall. He is a 30 low end 40 high end scorer that keeps defence looking over their shoulders. He is only 24 not even close to his prime. To get Torres I need a allstar Dman or future allstar.

Lou would have to throw in a 3nd rounder for free to find someone to take on Mogs.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Edmonton can't afford to trade Torres. NJ can't afford to trade Martin. And there's no way in hell Edmonton takes Mogilny. This proposal just doesn't make much sense.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckRaise View Post
Torres was drafted 5th overall in 2000. Last season he showed why he was drafted 5th overall. He is a 30 low end 40 high end scorer that keeps defence looking over their shoulders. He is only 24 not even close to his prime. To get Torres I need a allstar Dman or future allstar.

Lou would have to throw in a 3nd rounder for free to find someone to take on Mogs.
While I don't think Martin will be an allstar dman, I think he is very close, he had 37 points in only his second season last year, Too me I see Torres and Martin as comparible values, hence why as someone suggesed earlier, I would be willing to remove the 1st rounder. I think Either Hemsky, Lupul or Mogilny could try the left side, and the Oilers would still have a very good top 6 along with Martin who already is a very good d-man, and I think will become very very good in the not too distant future. But no one wants to do it, so ohwell.

Old
07-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujifuu View Post
While I don't think Martin will be an allstar dman, I think he is very close, he had 37 points in only his second season last year, Too me I see Torres and Martin as comparible values, hence why as someone suggesed earlier, I would be willing to remove the 1st rounder. I think Either Hemsky, Lupul or Mogilny could try the left side, and the Oilers would still have a very good top 6 along with Martin who already is a very good d-man, and I think will become very very good in the not too distant future. But no one wants to do it, so ohwell.

I don't think you understand. If Hemsky has postive 20 trade value, Torres has 15, and Martin has 10, then Mogs would have negative 5.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckRaise View Post
I don't think you understand. If Hemsky has postive 20 trade value, Torres has 15, and Martin has 10, then Mogs would have negative 5.
I don't think Torres is as valuable as you make him out to be compared to Martin, I think that d-men are more valuable, and personally I think Martin is worth more than Torres. But thats just me.

Old
07-18-2006, 08:27 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I don't think Torres is as valuable as you make him out to be compared to Martin, I think that d-men are more valuable, and personally I think Martin is worth more than Torres. But thats just me.
Think of it this way. Martin upside = Smid upside. Number 2 D-man

Torres or Smid?

Old
07-18-2006, 11:50 PM
SuperUke99

Quote:
To New Jersey: Torres+1st
To Edmonton:Martin+Mogilny

New Jersey gets help from there cap by getting rid of Mogilny, as well as getting a young player in torres who scored 27 goals last year playing limited minutes, along with a first (Edmontons or Anehiems I don't care)

Edmonton gets Mogilny who could be used to stop the gap with the loss of Torres until a prospect can fill in (I know he plays on the opposite wing), and I think that Mogilny could play very good for the Oilers, he had 25 points in 34 games, and like many players who took the lockout year off, I think he would have improved throughout the season. Edmonton also gets a very good young defeseman in Martin who can help on the powerplay.

Thoughts? I'm not sure either team will go for it, but I'd like it.
Ya because NJ has soooo many defensemen to fill the void Martin would leave????? They signed Colin White for $3MM/yr so that tells you how much they are in trouble on the backend since Neidermeyer & Stevens left/retired.

SuperUke99 is offline   Reply With Quote