HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT-OILERS at Boston, Tuesday, Nov. 11th

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 06:25 PM
barto

vCash: 500
Lowetide, you might be right that 'we' need a whipping boy to pick on, but it's really more intense fickleness in my opinion. Horcoff had won some of us over with his strong play late last year and we had high hopes. Others weren't won over. After 15 games, Horcoff has underperformed significantly. He's not the only one, but some other guys who were struggling (Smyth, Brewer) are more proven guys, they get more slack.

I wish we were seeing the Horcoff from late last year - if we were, I don't know who we'd be picking on by now!

And there are *some* parallels to the Cleary situation, where most fans felt he was given EVERY opportunity to show his stuff and didn't. Horcoff could have easily been a press-box guy at some point so far, but now with the Reasoner injury is just about guaranteed to stay in the lineup even if he doesn't produce.

I don't think he'd get the 'boo-bird' treatment in Edmonton, simply because he's not a high profile guy like Poti or Arnott.

Bart

Old
11-11-2003, 06:26 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
What I meant was that it's ridiculous to blame Horcoff tonight. He performed poorly in the faceoff circle, because he took alot of faceoffs against Thornton and (I believe) Rolston, who are historically very good. However, since Horcoff was taking more than his usual share of faceoffs, we have to assume that MacT preferred him over Stoll, Smyth, Sarno, York etc.

Meanwhile, Horcoff's errant pass ends up in the net, but there is little mention of the good things he did, including the goal.

I've come to the conclusion Oiler fans have an inner need to pick at one player, much like the runt of the litter. Sooo, Horcoff is this year's Poti.

I'd rather see him dealt that see boobirds do a Poti on him.

I guess we'll see.
I don't think Horc will be going anywhere. And I still think he will be one of our better forwards by seasons end.

I feel tonight was a break through night for him.

I was the one that mentioned his give-away for that 3rd goal......but also at that point of the game (same post) I mentioned he played a great first period.

He's got a goal in each of the last 2 games.

The Oilers are just so weak in the dot the ref might as well just give the puck to the opponent and make the oiler forwards count to three.

1 steamboat, 2 steamboats....3!

Old
11-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I don't think Horc will be going anywhere. And I still think he will be one of our better forwards by seasons end.

I feel tonight was a break through night for him.

I was the one that mentioned his give-away for that 3rd goal......but also at that point of the game (same post) I mentioned he played a great first period.

He's got a goal in each of the last 2 games.

The Oilers are just so weak in the dot the ref might as well just give the puck to the opponent and make the oiler forwards count to three.

1 steamboat, 2 steamboats....3!

Actually, g2k, your post was the one that kept me from going completely postal.

I guess I feel the Oilers actually played a whale of a game tonight, considering that it was their second game in two nights, their top faceoff guy is hurt, and on and on.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:39 PM
OYLer

Quote:
What I meant was that it's ridiculous to blame Horcoff tonight. He performed poorly in the faceoff circle, because he took alot of faceoffs against Thornton and (I believe) Rolston, who are historically very good. However, since Horcoff was taking more than his usual share of faceoffs, we have to assume that MacT preferred him over Stoll, Smyth, Sarno, York etc.
The Oilers were 16 for 66 at the dot. Only Sarno was half decent at 2 for 4. York was 18% and no one was better than Horcoff who was 25%. Zero for 5 on the PP & giving up 3 goals on 3 PKs was the difference. Horcoff had as good a game as most but he has more to make-up for than most.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:20 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

On the plus side tonight. Great team effort to come back and make a game of it. Great character and gut check by a young team. Raffi Torres continues to contribute. Very solid play and ability to adjust quickly to new linemates. Clearly the jewel in last season's trade. I liked Mike York's game tonight. He has been steadily improving after a slow start. Great skating and decision making. Staios had another workhouse night on the blueline. And Brewer seems to be working out of his funk.

Conkin played a fairly solid game. Stoll looked quite good in potting a deflection. Moreau continues to play hard and effective. Horcoff scores and comes out for me with an even rating. And Ferguson, whenever a teammate is in need, Fergie's got their back. Not the most skilled, but a reliable, lunchbox guy willing to back up his boys.

Minuses go out to Semenov. I think he could do with somemore seasoning. He simply must play more assertively and hopefully took notes with Chara's recent hit on Isbister. Disappointing. I've been waiting for Ryan Smyth to lead this team with a big goal. He's been okay but not as strong as should be expected.

A loss is a loss. However this Oiler team is beginning to face adversity and compete to battle back rather than folding. Small solace but a very big positive in the Big Picture.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:24 PM
barto

Good notes - I also meant to mention Ferguson coming to Smytty's defense there, and eventually taking Gill off with him. Good to see!

And it looked to me like Stoll and his line-mates were more comfortable with each other tonight compared to the Rangers game (which already was decent).

Definitely some positives, but we need another strong effort against Minnesota Thursday - they beat Vancouver 1-0 tonight!

Bart

Old
11-11-2003, 07:58 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Meanwhile, Horcoff's errant pass ends up in the net, but there is little mention of the good things he did, including the goal.

I've come to the conclusion Oiler fans have an inner need to pick at one player, much like the runt of the litter. Sooo, Horcoff is this year's Poti.
I am really hoping this site doesn't go down the road that Oil(LOSS)fans.com has gone myself because I am running out of decent Oiler sites to post on. :mad:

A little level headedness is appreciated.

Old
11-11-2003, 10:45 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
Minuses go out to Semenov. I think he could do with somemore seasoning. He simply must play more assertively and hopefully took notes with Chara's recent hit on Isbister. Disappointing. I've been waiting for Ryan Smyth to lead this team with a big goal. He's been okay but not as strong as should be expected.
Be aware, though, that last season Semenov never really hit much either and he was still one of our most dependable dmen. He's playing pretty much the same style as last year. Whether you think that is alright or not is another story.

He did break up 2 2on1's tonight though when Ferguson made horrible pinches in the offensive zone.

Closed Thread