HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pilar Back With Toronto

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2003, 05:29 AM
  #1
VanW27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: halifax,n.s.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,236
vCash: 500
Pilar Back With Toronto

Pilar is up with the big club and will be making the upcoming roadtrip with the team. Quinn says he will see action on the trip. Also Kidd is making the trip and may get a game in. [i saw this on TSN]

VanW27 is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 05:48 AM
  #2
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
So, if both Kidd and Pilar are in the roster, who's not? Is Stajan sent down? That means they've now got 24 players on a 23 man roster.

Dar is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 06:32 AM
  #3
sluggo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
They won't have a problem until Nieuwendyk comes back. Then they can always send Tellqvist back to St.Johns while Kidd gets his shot to make the team. After that they won't have a problem until Antropov comes back. Once he does they'll have to make a choice - send Stajan back even though hes been one of the their better fowards? Trade someone? (and if so how) or send someone down and risk losing them on waivers?

sluggo* is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 06:42 AM
  #4
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,907
vCash: 500
Quinn said the Maple Leafs will have to make a decision concerning the 23-man roster once Trevor Kidd is activated.

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 06:50 AM
  #5
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
They won't have a problem until Nieuwendyk comes back. Then they can always send Tellqvist back to St.Johns while Kidd gets his shot to make the team. After that they won't have a problem until Antropov comes back. Once he does they'll have to make a choice - send Stajan back even though hes been one of the their better fowards? Trade someone? (and if so how) or send someone down and risk losing them on waivers?
I don't think Nieuwendyk is on the IR so he has no impact on any of this.

Kidd hasn't been activated yet, so he isn't taking up a spot on the roster. Actually I'm not sure that Pilar has been activated either.

As far as Antropov, well that's a long way from now. Lots can happen between now and then. Chances are they'll be couple other players on the IR by then.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 06:53 AM
  #6
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
Quinn said the Maple Leafs will have to make a decision concerning the 23-man roster once Trevor Kidd is activated.
Pat Quinn has been hinting since training camp that Kidd doesn't neccessarily have the job locked up once he is healthy.

Even now he still doesn't sound convinced. Read this quote from today's Sun.

"When we feel Kidd is ready, then we'll have to figure out the right guy for the job." - Pat Quinn

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 07:04 AM
  #7
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,907
vCash: 500
a backup goalie with a winning record on the leafs does seem somewhat rare

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 08:42 AM
  #8
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
If they send Mikael down to St. John's, I'm going to be super pissed.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 08:50 AM
  #9
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
If they send Mikael down to St. John's, I'm going to be super pissed.
Prepare yourself with good underwear now then.

Dar is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 10:00 AM
  #10
Brock
Moderator
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,414
vCash: 500
Great to see Pilar back up and hopefully ready for NHL action again.

He seemed to be playing great hockey with St. John's, so lets hope that carries over to the big club.

If he can return to the form we saw, before this crazy virus, it would be a gigantic boost to this hockey club.

__________________
OHL Prospects Blog - http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
OHL Prospects on Twitter - @BrockOtten
Brock is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 11:31 AM
  #11
sluggo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
When Kidds ready I think they'll send Tellqvist down just because its the easist thing to do. But if Kidd doesn't play as well as Tellqvist did I could see Ferguson moving Kidd and bringing Tellqvist back up.

sluggo* is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 11:34 AM
  #12
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I don't think Nieuwendyk is on the IR so he has no impact on any of this.

Kidd hasn't been activated yet, so he isn't taking up a spot on the roster. Actually I'm not sure that Pilar has been activated either.

As far as Antropov, well that's a long way from now. Lots can happen between now and then. Chances are they'll be couple other players on the IR by then.
Current Roster

1) Sundin
2) Mogilny
3) Renberg
4) Roberts
5) Nolan
6) Reichel
7) Tucker
8) Domi
9) Fitzgerald
10) Stajan
11) Belak
12) Poni
13) Parrott
14) Nieuwendyk
15) Antropov IR

16) Kaberle
17) McCabe
18) Berg
19) Jackman
20) Marchment
21) Klee
22) Pilar

23) Belfour
24) Tellqvist
25) Kidd IR

When Kidd is activated they will be 1 over the limit.. So someone has to go and unfortuneately its going to be Telly ... Quinn is so predictable that he will restore Kidd as backup and send down Telly .

. Who wants to bet??

Mess is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 11:41 AM
  #13
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
When Kidds ready I think they'll send Tellqvist down just because its the easist thing to do. But if Kidd doesn't play as well as Tellqvist did I could see Ferguson moving Kidd and bringing Tellqvist back up.
What does that gain though... Telly is supposed to be the goalie of the future and Belfours Heir... So play the kid and see if that is true.. Place Kidd on waivers he clearly is not the future #1 in Toronto and if taken NO BIGGY and if not send him to the ECHL and compete with Irbe.. Activating Kidd only pushes leafs goalie hopefuls and actual prospects down the line.. Telly to St Johns... Hodson to Muskegon and then others even farther..

Toronto has to start thinking more progressively and start making spots for players that have a future, not keeping this retirement home policy thing going..

Mess is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:35 PM
  #14
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
What does that gain though... Telly is supposed to be the goalie of the future and Belfours Heir... So play the kid and see if that is true.. Place Kidd on waivers he clearly is not the future #1 in Toronto and if taken NO BIGGY and if not send him to the ECHL and compete with Irbe.. Activating Kidd only pushes leafs goalie hopefuls and actual prospects down the line.. Telly to St Johns... Hodson to Muskegon and then others even farther..

Toronto has to start thinking more progressively and start making spots for players that have a future, not keeping this retirement home policy thing going..
Normally I'd tend to agree, but Quinn isn't in charge anymore- Fergie is. So we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

This is a bit of a test for JFJ in my opinion.

And if Tellqvist ends up playing anywhere other than Toronto, he fails the test.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:42 PM
  #15
sluggo*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
"What does that gain though... Telly is supposed to be the goalie of the future and Belfours Heir... So play the kid and see if that is true"

He will probably get another game on the road trip, if he plays well again the "bar will be set".

"Place Kidd on waivers he clearly is not the future #1 in Toronto and if taken NO BIGGY and if not send him to the ECHL and compete with Irbe"

The leafs are hoping that, now that his shoulder is fixed, Kidd will start playing like he did 4 years ago (when was really good). If he can then after this season when Belfour retires Kidd will take over as the starter and Tellqvist will bet he backup for a couple years. They aren't going to put him waivers without giving him a chance to prove himself again. Plus, why put Kidd on Waivers and give him away when you might bea ble to trade him (on his own or part of a package). Granted you probably won't get much for him, but even a mid round pick is better then nothing.

"Toronto has to start thinking more progressively and start making spots for players that have a future, not keeping this retirement home policy thing going"

I'm all for that, but sending Tellqvist down for a couple weeks while Kidd is given a chance to prove himself doesn't bother me. If Kidd can't cut it, Tellqvist will be back.

sluggo* is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 01:46 PM
  #16
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Normally I'd tend to agree, but Quinn isn't in charge anymore- Fergie is. So we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

This is a bit of a test for JFJ in my opinion.

And if Tellqvist ends up playing anywhere other than Toronto, he fails the test.
I realize that as well, however it would have to be the Coach that makes recommendations as to who stays and who goes down, even if only in name.. Ultimately it is the GM that makes the final decision, but he must al least seek opinions..

Mess is offline  
Old
11-12-2003, 06:08 AM
  #17
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Pilar has been playing some good hockey though his defencive zone covarage did not look up to par in the three games I saw him in. The offence is there and he looks great I think he'll come around tho I mean don't forget he's been through alot over the past 2 years.

Joey24 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.