HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gomez & Devils heading for a divorce?

Old
07-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Lou, people have been using that method to write the team off, yes, but it's true. Over time, when you start losing key pieces the way the Devils have, the on-ice product is just not going to be as good. It's like the Rangers, where would we be if we lost Jagr? Nowhere.

I don't know who said what about Holik, Arnott, Rolston, Mogilny, and Daneyko because I sure as hell didn't say a thing. But Stevens and Niedermayer were two CORE PLAYERS. When you lose CORE PLAYERS, the team is undoubtedly going to be adversly affected.

Let me ask you Lou, can you honestly say that the 05-06 team was as good as teams of the past? As good as the 03 cup winning team? As good as the 2000 cup winning team? As good as the team that went to the finals in 01? I don't think they were. I think those teams were a lot more scary, because when you faced them, you knew you were in for it. Now, the Devils seem a lot more human, if you ask me. And let me reiterate that I'm not taking potshots here, but that those teams were simply just that much better. They were deeper on both offense and defense, Brodeur was younger, Stevens was still as nasty as ever. It's like comparing the 96-97 Ranger team to the 94 Ranger team. Obviously the 94 team was better, it was one of the most balanced teams ever.

I just don't get how you, and some of the other Devil fans can tell me that this team that you watched last season was just as good as a team from years ago that went deep into the playoffs and won perennially. It just doesn't make sense.
I really don't recall anybody saying that these Devils teams are as good as the past cup teams, we just don't agree that they are going to decline as far as everyone thinks they will. No one is going to be dumb enough to suggest that this team is better than those cup teams from 2000 to 2003, remember that team was just one game seven - against the Av's - from being a dynasty by today's standards.

In fact Shadowtron said a page back and something that I agree with:

Quote:
Heres my prediction: The Devils will be a good team for another bunch of seasons. Not great, but I think they have a few more Cup runs in them. Then as Marty wraps up his career and Elias enters the twilight years, you'll see a decline. And then...gasp! They'll rebuild and start it all over again. That's the cycle of sports. For all you Devils fans circa 1994, this happens to E.V.E.R.Y. team. No one is exempt from the process.
This is exactly how I look at it. The only thing I would add is that they still have the potential from time to time with this core to be a great team, is it a guarantee? No way, but the possibility is definitely there.

07-27-2006, 04:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Devils accept arbitrators ruling, sign Gomez for 5 mil.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2531331

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
I really don't recall anybody saying that these Devils teams are as good as the past cup teams, we just don't agree that they are going to decline as far as everyone thinks they will. No one is going to be dumb enough to suggest that this team is better than those cup teams from 2000 to 2003, remember that team was just one game seven - against the Av's - from being a dynasty by today's standards.

In fact Shadowtron said a page back and something that I agree with:

This is exactly how I look at it. The only thing I would add is that they still have the potential from time to time with this core to be a great team, is it a guarantee? No way, but the possibility is definitely there.
I agree with you, I'm not saying that they're going to hit rock bottom or right away for that matter (I just had to poke back at Devilsin4), but eventually, they will have to start over. They need more quality prospects in their system, especially a top-4 defender, yet alone a future top-pairing guy, and a future #1 goaltender. People keep telling me that Brodeur's there so there's nothing to worry about. No, there is something to worry about. You don't have a guy that's going to be a future starter, and what if Marty gets hurt, or by some freak accident has a career ending injury? Scott Clemmensen becomes your #1 goaltender? I think not. That's why there's the need for it.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 07:08 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

When teams head south is usually doesn't happen right away from contender to flop house. Usually the tell tale signs is a deminished farm system. The team no longer has the assets from within to call up and fill up their roster when either injuries hit or players get too expensive. Isn't that what happened to us? Didn't we sign over aged UFAs to fill the void? What pray tell was the purpose of NJ then signing the 3Ms? To piss away money? To bind up team and screw their salary cap up just for the fun of it?

No it happened because no matter how highly NJ fans rate their prospects and say that Albany being in the crap house for the last 5 years isn't going to change the fact that their farm system is barren. They will point to Parise, Hale & Martin. They are not prospects any longer. They are 3 fine young players but where are the rest of their prospects? Greene the undrafted college UFA? He's their version of Pock. Zajac, Bergfors? What many devil fans fail to see is that their is a gap in their development of players. We had the exact same thing. We had a pretty good run with players like Leetch, Zubov, Alex, Amonte, Granato, Turcotte, Richter. But all you need is 3-4 bad drafts and bang, you are in trouble.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote