HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Neil Smith Fired as GM Garth Snow new Isles GM

Old
07-18-2006, 02:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post

Quote:
"I spoke with Garth at length throughout the spring about the general manager's position and he really impressed me with his passion and his knowledge," said Islanders owner Charles Wang.

Whaaaat??? Trottier, 303Joe, Darth, I feel sorry for you guys, you're F'D. When that's the approach your owner take towards hiring a GM, you're doomed.
Yeah, that quote is fascinating. Wang and Garth spoke at at length throughout the spring? Why was Neil hired then?

Agree again, feel bad for Trotts, Joe, Darth and the rest of the good guys who are Isles fans.

07-18-2006, 02:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I believe you are correct, and it was wishful thinking on my part that it would work, in hindsight.

It's unfortunate. Smith obviously has had few/no GM options in recent years, had an affiliation with NYI dating way back to when they were a well-run organization, and probably rationalized that he could make it work.

But the dynamics were in place for his failure. I know that he has his critics on this board, but I still maintain that when it came success in hockey management, he had it in spades over the likes of Trottier, Lafontaine, Milbury, Wang and even Nolan.

I'm a firm believer that success begets success and likewise failure often perpetrates more failure.

I'll put it more bluntly: Winners breed winning.

Any organization with reprobates the likes of Mike Milbury and Alexei Yashin playing prominent roles is destined for never-ending failure.

Pass the hemlock....

Adding: when I read the previous posts, I thought the Garth Snow reference was a joke. Then I read the espn story. This is truly beyond painful.

Yup...it's no coincidence that Laviolette wins the Cup, and Peca's in the Finals, while Milbury hitches his wagon to Yashin and finishes outside the POs.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:02 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Charles Wang reminds of Steinbrenner, amazing how someone that dimwitted could be worth a fortune.
Like him or hate him, there is no comparison between George & Wang.
I first thougth that the whole thread was some kind of joke. Then I thought that the Snow thing was a joke. There is a joke out there and it is all on the Isles fans. Wow. This is like Groundhog day for them. It just keeps going and going and.....

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Edge

Not for anything but knowledge or not, what has Garth ever shown to prove just promoting him to a GM capacity in the NHL?

Never scouted, never drafted, done those little things.

Now JD you can understand a little bit because of his extensive and proven knowledge of the game, but Garth Snow?

Becoming more apparent that there are snakes lying in wait just waiting for the opportunity to sieze their position. From Nolan to Snow, Smith was done before he ever started and something tells me this won't be the last of the backstabbing on the Island.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:03 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Wait wait wait. So Garth Snow, the same Garth Snow that was JUST the backup goalie, has out of the blue retired and taken the GM position???? Is that it? Wow. This is a publicity stunt, it has to be.

What is John Davidson thinking right now???? I had to wait X amount of years to get to the front office and Garth frickin Snow does it in one day?

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Like him or hate him, there is no comparison between George & Wang.
I first thougth that the whole thread was some kind of joke. Then I thought that the Snow thing was a joke. There is a joke out there and it is all on the Isles fans. Wow. This is like Groundhog day for them. It just keeps going and going and.....
I'll give you that, even George wasn't that crazy at his worst.

I honestly half expect this to be a publicity stunt and the Isles to post on their website "Just Kidding, see you opening day"

Old
07-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I nominate myself for director of personnel/head of scouting

Smooth moves Wang

(No Offense!)

Last edited by Bluenote13: 08-01-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
Wait wait wait. So Garth Snow, the same Garth Snow that was JUST the backup goalie, has out of the blue retired and taken the GM position???? Is that it? Wow. This is a publicity stunt, it has to be.

What is John Davidson thinking right now???? I had to wait X amount of years to get to the front office and Garth frickin Snow does it in one day?
Forget JD, what does every scout, coach and player personel person think right now?

This isn't the hiring of a wunderkid like a Theo Epstein here, we're talking about Garth "I have more PIM than shutouts" Snow.

I could even understand a guy like Trottier who if nothing else has been in those trenches and studied the game. But Garth Snow?

Met the guy numerous times, never struck me as a great hockey mind to be honest with you.

Old
07-18-2006, 03:10 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Now snow can be Nolans puppet. Snow is just taking a spot where he will have no say in and he knows it. Nolan will have his hand everywhere.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Does Garth Snow post on HF? Someone's dream came true.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Forget JD, what does every scout, coach and player personel person think right now?
This isn't the hiring of a wunderkid like a Theo Epstein here, we're talking about Garth "I have more PIM than shutouts" Snow.

I could even understand a guy like Trottier who if nothing else has been in those trenches and studied the game. But Garth Snow?

Met the guy numerous times, never struck me as a great hockey mind to be honest with you.
They're creating an island unto themselves.

Old
07-18-2006, 03:13 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Where is that Gooch guy who called me a "blowhard" for telling the truth about Neil Smith and the Islanders "organizational structure" last month? Neil lasted five weeks working under Commander Wang's corporate umbrella.Conjecture?Yeah right

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Zombie Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0mBa View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2522886

Im sorry but i think its time the islanders fold. I cant believe im saying this but i feel bad for their fans. The only explanation for the happenings over there are that someone has pictures of charles wang with naked little boys and are blackmailing him.
Glen Sather?

Zombie Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I do want to thank you guys for the gallows humor. It is keeping me laughing as opposed to sobbing.

Rest assured, the bourbon on the rocks at happy hour later today will be a double.

(Rumor has it that Snow was offered the GM position only after Eric Godard turned it down. )

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Fletch

This is funny...

because I glanced over the Garth Snow blurb a few times and it really didn't click. I mean, how can it click? Heck, Garth's like 36 years old and played hockey last season. Now he's the GM?

But I'm sure there are a lot of people who aren't scratching their heads today - like anybody that interviewed for that job and came away saying 'what a ****show'. What are the roles of these people around me if I were to take the job, and what is the GM's job here.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:23 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I do want to thank you guys for the gallows humor. It is keeping me laughing as opposed to sobbing.

Rest assured, the bourbon on the rocks at happy hour later today will be a double.

(Rumor has it that Snow was offered the GM position only after Eric Godard turned it down. )
Wow, Im sorry man. You are a good poster and a good fan, I feel for you.

I still gotta laugh though Garth Snow

NewYorkStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:25 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I cant friggin believe this. They bring Neil in... he does all the bargaining and changes half the team around and then Wang says "ooh... you know what Neil... take a hike! i got a guy name Snow to replace you and clean up all your Poti mess!"

"Knowing that I'll be working in the same office where one of my mentors, Bill Torrey, created a dynasty is an unbelievable feeling," Smith said. "Al Arbour, whom I owe everything to, gave me my first hockey job as an advance scout. I wear my Islanders Stanley Cup ring with immense pride. To be able to come full circle and return home to the Islanders is a dream."

-Smith in june
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2474856

How messed up is this? he didnt even get his puck pencil holder into the office...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
because I glanced over the Garth Snow blurb a few times and it really didn't click. I mean, how can it click? Heck, Garth's like 36 years old and played hockey last season. Now he's the GM?

But I'm sure there are a lot of people who aren't scratching their heads today - like anybody that interviewed for that job and came away saying 'what a ****show'. What are the roles of these people around me if I were to take the job, and what is the GM's job here.

Don't feel bad I went past it a few times myself before it sunk in.

I can feel for Smith though. I mean yeah sometimes we go into situations and the roles don't seem ideal and you take the risk, but this goes beyond even the worst fear of a bad job situation.

Obviously it was never ideal, but if anyone said this is what would've happened a month ago it still would've seemed a bit much.

Old
07-18-2006, 03:29 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Somebody else pointed out that, since Snow retired and is 35, the Isles are on the hook for his $750,000 on the cap the next two years.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:29 PM
eco's bones

Amazing. Absolutely un-f-ing believable. Forget about Milbury what the Islanders need to do first is get a new owner because Wang does not know what he's doing. Incredible when your backup goalie becomes your GM overnight.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:30 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
The Islanders board has officially gone bonkers. 15+ rows of members on the top of the page. Numerous threads, joke threads, polls on if this is the worst day in franchise history, etc.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Same old debate.

If Wang controls all, who can get hold of Wang and straighten him out?

Old
07-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Edge

And to think, just yesterday Garth was employed as a Bobblehead Doll.

Talk about rising through the ranks...

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/team/roster.asp

Old
07-18-2006, 03:36 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Would this make Garth the NHLs first GM/goalie???

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:38 PM
FLYLine24*

Garth Snow.....wow.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote