HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Neil Smith Fired as GM Garth Snow new Isles GM

Old
07-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Its a PP Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
You never know maybe snow finds a way to rise aboove this mess.
I don't see it happening.

With no managerial experience under his belt, Wang and Milbury will take credit for any progress made within the organization. Everything else will be blamed on Snow's inexperience. He's a pawn and will likely be gone in a year or two.

Wang has basically given up on the next few seasons.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Wang has basically given up on the next few seasons.
How so? Wang seems so stupid that he is actually convinced that this will work. Didn't you hear him with Mad Dog talking yesterday? He's so convinced of his ******** that he thinks it's this amazing master plan.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Message to Trottier, Darth, 303Joe, and other respectable Isles posters:

You are hereby welcome to join the Rangers fan base effective immediately after you resign from the Islanders fan base.

Signed,

Rangers fans.
I'll only accept if they bring Mike York with them.

Shanny - York - Prucha would look real nice.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post

York for Rozsival anyone?

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
Its a PP Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post

I'd settle for Aminishiki, Japanese sumo wrestler.

*2nd paragraph

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2523578

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:11 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
wow, this is spinning out of control.

Can't even imagine being an Islander fan right now. Just when it looks like things are working, the team rips your heart out and dices it into pieces.
You said it. As much as I hate the Islanders, I wouldn't wish this on any fan.

Perhaps it's our turn to shout MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

As a fan of hockey I just find it a shame that a franchise that was once a 4 year dynasty could collapse and never really find its way back after that initial regime. And even though they're not in the City portion of NYC, its still a huge market that couldve thrived with a smart front office and the backing of the community(politically).

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Edge

I like Snow's comment on WFAN about the way they are going to do things and how successful it's been in Boston and Philly.

Nothing like aiming to be just like a Dynasty.

Someone remind me, how many championships do those two team's have since I've been alive (1978)?

Oh silly me, I must've been born a few years too late to enjoy the Flyer/Bruins team's of the early to mid 70's.

Why aim for the cup like Colorado, Detroit and NJ when you can win a division!

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I like Snow's comment on WFAN about the way they are going to do things and how successful it's been in Boston and Philly.

Nothing like aiming to be just like a Dynasty.

Someone remind me, how many championships do those two team's have since I've been alive (1978)?

Oh silly me, I must've been born a few years too late to enjoy the Flyer/Bruins team's of the early to mid 70's.

Why aim for the cup like Colorado, Detroit and NJ when you can win a division!
I also have to believe that if Bob Clarke runs a trade by Snider, it's more of question of can I add this salary rather than what do you think of this as hockey move.

Also, wasn't it Millbury who said that he can't ask his owner to add salary are a reason why he never got someone to play with Yashin. In hindsight, that is exactly what he should have done.

07-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Edge

Finanicially I can understand that, and to me that makes perfect sense.

What the Islanders are doing.....wow.

The best systems are ones with trusted scouts and advisors who report to the GM. That's what the really successful teams have done, heck that's what is helping rebuild the Rangers.

Too many cooks does not make a better soup and Garth Snow better be careful because if he wants to be a GM a stint like this can end that dream before it ever really gets off the ground.

Old
07-19-2006, 12:54 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

This organization is turning into a freak show. What a joke. I dont know what Isles fan could be happy with whats going on or is proud to be an Islander fan right now. And if they ever try and come here to trash our organization they will quickly be reminded of what has happened this past year. Its a circus over there.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Yessireee...looks like I'll be taking in more NYR games with my brothers across the street from work this year. This Isles fan is completely disgusted. At least Dolan left Sather alone eventually. There is simply nothing to defend on the Isle-land right now. We are a beaten dog.

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Message to Trottier, Darth, 303Joe, and other respectable Isles posters:

You are hereby welcome to join the Rangers fan base effective immediately after you resign from the Islanders fan base.

Signed,

Rangers fans.
Thanks JP.

Would be like walking out on a wife after three decades...but right now that wife looks awful and is acting neurotic.

Darth's solution to this mess was to head out today to Cambodia (I kid you not) for vacation, as he does most summers.

It is, after all, only a game, a diversion, but what fun is it rooting for an embarassment of an organization? In some ways, a terrible team on the ice is easier to take than an inept executive team/owner. Though the two typically go hand in hand.

I'm not a pessimist by nature, but this is not going to work. The only types who will fit into Wang's cumbaya management system are synchophantic "yes" men or business newbies (like Snow). For you can talk all you want about democratic decisionmaking, fact is, ultimately an individual has to make the call. And we know who that is.

Reading some of the reports about the Wanger trying to cut out scouts and arguing with Smith about who hires an equipment manager....this is stuff out of a farcical comedy.

Most painful thing here? Like Yashin, Wang's toy Board of Directors will be a collosal mistake that keeps on giving for months and years to come. (And I'm not 12 years old anymore; I don't have the patience for a 20 year rebuild culminating in 2030.)

For now I'm just trying to do my best not to go overboard on the few NYI fanboys left spewing BS over at our board about how this is actually a good thing, and how it will all work out at some point. Ignorance is truly bliss.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-19-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:25 PM
eco's bones

Our owner is nothing to brag about either Trots but you guys have gone through a series of real real bad ones. This really takes first prize. It would be better actually if the league could step in and take over your team like they once thought of doing with Buffalo. It couldn't hurt at this point. Wang is obviously delusional if he thinks a team can be run by a committee--it seems more like he expects to pull all the strings. It's not good for the league as a whole either. It certainly isn't going to fill any seats.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Fletch

Trottier...

you've been posting with us Rangers fans for a long time. So by now, you should know the answer to your questions "what fun is it rooting for an embarassment of an organization". We did it for so many years. You still have a good coach and some decent players. Perhaps the players rise in all this mess and they use it as a positive (no offense, I hope they don't, but hey, you never know).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Rumor has it than NYI was going to be the third team involved in today's Hall/Moore deal. However, when Sather and Poile called into NYI's offices, Wang's management team had to first convene to decide who would pick up the phone.

They're still deciding at this hour.

Old
07-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Rumor has it than NYI was going to be the third team involved in today's Hall/Moore deal. However, when Sather and Poile called into NYI's offices, Wang's management team had to first convene to decide who would pick up the phone.

They're still deciding at this hour.
Don't laugh, I've worked in environments like that before.

Old
07-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Fletch

Same here...

it's like, you talk to him, no I don't want to, you talk to him...as it goes into voicemail.

Old
07-19-2006, 07:14 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
funnier was the devils sweeping your boys last year.

difference between isles fans and ranger fans is that isles fans don't sugar coat things.

ranger fans clap when their team gets swept 4 straight by their arch rivals. it must be good to live in the clouds.
Is that the samething like when the isles hit the skids and drew AHL size crowds? That was how loyal your fans were!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Is that the samething like when the isles hit the skids and drew AHL size crowds? That was how loyal your fans were!
I wouldn't be surprised if next year Nassau is filled with homeless people so that at least when the games are televised it dosn't look so bad. I dont dislike Isles fans, but the comment cjdv16 made was probablly a drunken result of yesterdays disgrace known as the Isles management. We may have got swept but we applaud the entire season not just the playoffs, and after 9 years being swept in the playoffs isnt that bad trust me.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Fletch

Interesting read on Smith in the Post..

of course, it cites people close to Smith, so who knows if it's true, but supposedly he was unhappy with his situation which if true, just makes Smith an idiot as he was unhappy because of all the reasons we cited in here the day he was hired as to why this makes little sense (not hiring a coach, GM by committee, etc.). If true, then a big DUH! to Smith.

Old
07-23-2006, 06:29 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Smith is no martyr here, no matter how his allies wish to present it. He knew the score before the first shift had been played. And while Wang may have made life intolerable for Smith by all but demanding that the GM raise his hand to ask for a hall pass in order to use the boys' room, several sources have told Slap Shots - with specific references to document their stories - that Smith made life equally intolerable for just about everyone around him by copping an attitude from his first hours on the job
http://www.nypost.com/sports/wangs_i...rry_brooks.htm

Where are all the Islanders fans(Trottier and Gooch)who defended Smith for past problems on not being able to get along with various Rangers coaches and a former Garden boss and how it was going to be different in Uniondale?

And they defended Commander Wang's front office UN committee when some people said it's not going to work.Hmm,who are those people?

Last edited by RangerBoy: 07-23-2006 at 06:36 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
And they defended Commander Wang's front office UN committee when some people said it's not going to work. Hmm,who are those people?
Right here, genius.

Why do you lie? Of course, you can hide behind your keyboard and your Britney Spears screen saver...but you remain a liar.

I thought that Smith would succeed as GM of NYI. I was wrong and said as much recently, actually directly to you, on this forum. I also previously noted that you come around to the NYI and NJD boards regularly to troll with your wetdreams of both team's demise, myopic fanboy that you are.

Now, I never said the "committee" would work, as I never expected there to be a committee. It's an asinine concept. I have stated repeatedly since last week's developments that NYI is doomed to ongoing failure regardless of who is in the executive roles, as long as they are hamstrung by the reporting structure. Likewise, as Brooks states in his SUPERB column today, I previously noted that such a restrictive system will never attract top, proven NHL executive talent. Finally, see my avatar. That should give one a hint as to how I see this "committee" concept playing out.

So, please, stop lying. Think twice and post once. I'll gladly take the heat when wrong. And admit to it. But in your schoolboy urgency to once again pile on the big bad local rivals and their fanbase skippy, you misfired.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-23-2006 at 03:21 PM.