Notices

Would this be enough??

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 06:34 AM
VaFlyer

vCash: 500
Would this be enough??

There are alot of rumors right now involving your Calgary Flames. I have heard Iginla might be back on the block, and that Comrie was wanted by Calgary. My question is this:

IF, Philly wanted Iginla what would it take?
Would Simon Gagne and Kim Johnsson be enough?
Would Comrie and Kim Johnsson be enough?

As a 3 way trade you could do something like this and get 2 good players back:

Gagne to Edmonton for Comrie
Comrie and Johnsson to Calgary for Iginla

This would give you 2 good players for your system. Iginla might not resign next year with the team and you somehow get 2 good young players for your system. Edmonton ends up with a finesse player on probably the smoothest ice surface in hockey in Gagne, and Philly ends up with a forward in Iginla which totally fits their system.

What do you think??

Old
11-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Flamesfan 26

Sutter is not trying to give Iginla away. He is most likely lookinjg for two top six forwards and a prospect

Old
11-11-2003, 10:56 AM
reg dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche 26
Sutter is not trying to give Iginla away. He is most likely lookinjg for two top six forwards and a prospect
Iginlas trade value is nowhere near what it was 2 years ago, he is a good player, but 2 years ago is starting to look like a little bit of a fluke.. i hear people talking about getting Williams, Gagne, and Pitkanen for Iginla... thats a joke... Clarke would have to be a complete idiot to make that deal.

Old
11-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop
Clarke would have to be a complete idiot to make that deal.
And your point being?

We'll all seen Clarke dramatically overpay for a player. Or do you not remember him trading Maxime Ouellet (their top goaltending prospect) a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder for two months of Adam Oates?

Old
11-11-2003, 01:46 PM
kruezer

I look at it like this, unless we get 2 offensive types back for him (even if one is a d-man, such as Johnsson), its not worth it for us to trade him. We can keep him and infact resign him for less, we just need to make people want to keep playing for this team. Especially if in the new CBA the FA age is lowered. If they take the FA age down to 27 what are we gonna do? Trade everyone that reaches 27 YO? You don't win with a team completely under the age of 27. We need to get players to WANT to stay here. I hope Sutter can convince Iggy of that.

Old
11-11-2003, 03:37 PM
pepchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I look at it like this, unless we get 2 offensive types back for him (even if one is a d-man, such as Johnsson), its not worth it for us to trade him. We can keep him and infact resign him for less, we just need to make people want to keep playing for this team. Especially if in the new CBA the FA age is lowered. If they take the FA age down to 27 what are we gonna do? Trade everyone that reaches 27 YO? You don't win with a team completely under the age of 27. We need to get players to WANT to stay here. I hope Sutter can convince Iggy of that.
Question: Do they have to qualify him before the current CBA expires? If so, I'd be willing to bet he'll take the 7.5 million, or whatever it is he is making this year.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:06 PM
reg dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
And your point being?

We'll all seen Clarke dramatically overpay for a player. Or do you not remember him trading Maxime Ouellet (their top goaltending prospect) a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder for two months of Adam Oates?

i cant argue with that, that was one of the most ridiculous deals ever made, but then he turns around and gets tampa bays pick in the draft for fedotenko, and drafts a possible future Norris Trophy winner in Pitkanen... i just dont think iginlas trade value is that high right now... i would say it is not a lot higher than a guy like Comrie at this point, although iginla would be the more complete player of course..

Old
11-11-2003, 08:20 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepchew
Question: Do they have to qualify him before the current CBA expires? If so, I'd be willing to bet he'll take the 7.5 million, or whatever it is he is making this year.
Good question, I'll check it out.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:33 PM
serum114

As far as I can tell they do. The current CBA expires Sept. 15 and qualifying offers must be made either on July 1 or Sept. 1.

It throws a wrinkle in things.

Personally, I'd like to see them try to work a Bertuzzi-esque deal out.

My 2 cents...

Old
11-11-2003, 09:14 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serum114
As far as I can tell they do. The current CBA expires Sept. 15 and qualifying offers must be made either on July 1 or Sept. 1.

It throws a wrinkle in things.

Personally, I'd like to see them try to work a Bertuzzi-esque deal out.

My 2 cents...
Does Iginla have an option for next year? Can anyone find the specifics on his contract?

Old
11-12-2003, 01:07 AM
pepchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Does Iginla have an option for next year? Can anyone find the specifics on his contract?
As far as I can remember Theodore signed a 3-year deal and Iginla signed a 2-year deal. To the best of my knowledge there was no mention of an option.

If he accepts his qualifying offer then that'll take him to the end of the 2005 season. His birthday is July 1st, so depending on the cut-off date in the new CBA he'll either be considered 27 or 28 at the end of his contract. If the PA gets the age for unrestricted status bumped down he'll probably only be a year or two away.

Calgary's best hope would be getting him to sign a long-term deal for less money. The term would have to be long enough so that the security would outweigh the loss in yearly income. Would he take something like 5 years/30 million or even 6 years/35 million? Would the orginization want to risk such an offer considering the luck other teams have had with long-term deals? Then again, character wise, Iginla is way out of Jagr and company's league. Also, with the very real possibility of a cap, would the Flames want to commit around 6 million a year to one player?

What to do, what to do...?

Old
11-12-2003, 08:23 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepchew
As far as I can remember Theodore signed a 3-year deal and Iginla signed a 2-year deal. To the best of my knowledge there was no mention of an option.

If he accepts his qualifying offer then that'll take him to the end of the 2005 season. His birthday is July 1st, so depending on the cut-off date in the new CBA he'll either be considered 27 or 28 at the end of his contract. If the PA gets the age for unrestricted status bumped down he'll probably only be a year or two away.

Calgary's best hope would be getting him to sign a long-term deal for less money. The term would have to be long enough so that the security would outweigh the loss in yearly income. Would he take something like 5 years/30 million or even 6 years/35 million? Would the orginization want to risk such an offer considering the luck other teams have had with long-term deals? Then again, character wise, Iginla is way out of Jagr and company's league. Also, with the very real possibility of a cap, would the Flames want to commit around 6 million a year to one player?

What to do, what to do...?
I think I'd do it, for 5 million bucks Iginla is worth it to keep around IMO and 5 million won't destroy the teams salary structure (it won't be great for it but hey). That all depends on if he'd take 5 mill, but I hope that him and his agent will recognize a changing climate with the CBA coming up nobody is gonna get big money next summer.

Closed Thread