HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rant Time

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 05:32 PM
mamettt

vCash: 500
Rant Time

Okay, I've been pretty quiet lately on the board, partly due to work, partly due to the fact that I've been just waiting for the oilers to turn it around, to get their act in order, and I didn't want to say anything that was out of line. But enough is enough. I come home from a wonderful day at the MET(monet paintings are amazing) and TSN.ca is gloating over a leafs win at the expense of my oilers. It's time to make some things known.

First of all, I just watched the mike comrie interview, I could careless what happens to that selfish young man. He has everything most of us dream of, and he's spitting in the face of everybody who gave it to him. His answers were stupid and repetitive, clammering out the same propaganda (it's time to move on) without ever seeming to have any sense of his own failings in the conflict. He has definatly been getting some bad advice by a manipulative agent, and if he is too stupid to see what he's doing, than I don't want him on our hockey team. I have supported mike comrie a lot over the last couple of months, but even his most ardent supporters have to be disgusted right now.

Seconldy, what the F#$@ has happened to this team? Every night it's up and down, up and down. I expect this team to make the playoffs. I think we have the talent, ressources, and coaching staff to capture the 8th playoff spot and be a contender in the west. But to do that, we have to start using what we have more effectively. Why isn't Semenov playing on our first D-pairing? Semenov has not been given a chance at all this year, this coming on the heels of a half a season where he looked to be the most promising young d-man we've had in a decade. We need size in our lineup, we need defensively responsible players, and we need people who can help us on the pp. Semenov does all three of these things. Mac-t has failed his fans and his organization by not playing semenov. Pathetic. Pathetic. If we keep jerking Semenov around, we'll have another comrie on our hands. The coaching staff HAS to be better. Aside from the Semenov catastrophe, why hasn't brad isbister been on the first line all year? You can't expect bertuzzi like play/numbers when he keeps getting put on the fourth line every bad period he has. Isbister has not played that badly, and if he indeed was worth trading our #1 d-man for, isn't it time we give him the opportunity to show us why? Leave him at one place with two good linemates.

But it's not just the coaching staff who has failed. The players have to take responsibility as well. I haven't seen salo play at all this year, but I can say that his numbers have been mild, and many of the fans have gotten on him. Whether or not he's been as bad as many say he has, it's clear that he needs to be better if we stand a chance. He's being paid like a #1 goaltender, he should play like one. I do not want a roman turek situation on our hands. Smyth has to play better; Horcoff has to play better. MOST EVERYONE has to play better. We have the talent. We have the brains. It's time we use them. And we, as fans, have the responsibility and the right to hold these players up to their abilities and their potential. If this were the penguins, I'd say fine, we can accept losing because we probably aren't going to do that much better. But this isn't the penguins, this is a playoff team. It's time to start playing like one.

I'll be at the game on monday night, my first every game at the Garden. As you all know I love the oilers and rangers, but given the oilers dire straight, I will be wearing my gretzky jersey. I will have a report when I come home, I expect a good young team to show up.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:39 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamettt
Okay, I've been pretty quiet lately on the board, partly due to work, partly due to the fact that I've been just waiting for the oilers to turn it around, to get their act in order, and I didn't want to say anything that was out of line. But enough is enough. I come home from a wonderful day at the MET(monet paintings are amazing) and TSN.ca is gloating over a leafs win at the expense of my oilers. It's time to make some things known.

First of all, I just watched the mike comrie interview, I could careless what happens to that selfish young man. He has everything most of us dream of, and he's spitting in the fact of everybody he gave that to him. His answers were stupid and repetitive, clammering the same propaganda (it's time to move on) without ever seeming to have any sense of his own failings in the conflict. He has definetly been getting some bad advice by a manipulative agent, and if he is to stupid to see what he's doing, than I don't want him on our hockey team. I have supported mike comrie a lot over the last couple of months, but even his most ardent supporters have to be disgusted right now.

Seconldy, what the F#$@ has happened to this team? Every night it's up and down, up and down. I expect this team to make the playoffs. I think we have the talent, ressources, and coaching staff to capture the 8th playoff spot and be a contender in the west. But to do that, we have to start using what we have more effectively. Why isn't Semenov playing on our first D-pairing? Semenov has not been given a chance at all this year, this coming on the heels of a half a season where he looked to be the most promising young d-man we've had in a decade. We need size in our lineup, we need defensively responsible players, and we need people who can help us on the pp. Semenov does all three of these things. Mac-t has failed his fans and his organization by not playing semenov. Pathetic. Pathetic. The coaching staff HAS to be better. Aside from the Semenov catastrophe, why hasn't brad isbister been on the first line all year? You can't expect bertuzzi like play/numbers when he keeps getting put on the fourth line every bad period he has. Isbister has not played that badly, and if he indeed was worth trading our #1 d-man for, isn't it time we give him the opportunity to show us why? Leave him at one place with two good linemates.

But it's not just the coaching staff who has failed. The players have to take responsibility as well. I haven't seen salo play at all this year, but I can say that his numbers have been mild, and many of the fans have gotten on him. Whether or not he's been as bad as many say he has, it's clear that he needs to be better if we stand a chance. He's being bad like a #1 goaltender, he should play like one. I do not want a roman turek situation on our hands. Smyth has to play better; Horcoff has to play better. MOST EVERYONE has to play better. We have the talent. We have the brains. It's time we use them. And we, as fans, have the responsibility and the right to hold these players up to their abilities and their potential. If this were the penguins, I'd say fine, we can accept losing because we probably aren't going to do that much better. But this isn't the penguins, this is a playoff team. It's time to start playing like one.

I'll be at the game on monday night, my first every game at the Garden. As you all know I love the oilers and rangers, but given the oilers dire straight, I will be wearing my gretzky jersey. I will have a report when I come home, I expect a good young team to show up.
i agree with you on mostly everything. Im tired of the oilers. this is just me, and ive said it at the start of the season not on this board but to my friends, get rid of mac t. I dont like him at all, he is a horrible coach he makes horrible lines and switches the lines every 2-3games. Mac t is not a good coach for this young team, i want a veteran coach to teach the young guys. Mac t is not a right fit at all imo, and i hate how all we try and get is alberta born players because i swear they will never get traded (however comrie probably will though which i hate), and will get the benefit of the doubt over another player and be in the lineup. Semenov should be playing but he isn;t because mac t is a retard. Put brewer and semenov together they work perfectly together. TRADE HORCOFF, CHIMERA AND LARAQUE!!. LARAQUE IS GARBAGE. I rather have 12 valuable players who can play in every period than have 9 players playin ghte 3rd and sit not play three guys. Laraque earns to much and does nothing. He doesnt even check really. its good to vent haha.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:04 PM
hockeyaddict101

Holy mackeral

Lets chill a little.

It it like people go on a giant roller coaster, do you guys get really estatic after a win or only get really angry after a loss?

Holy overreaction batman.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Lets chill a little.

It it like people go on a giant roller coaster, do you guys get really estatic after a win or only get really angry after a loss?

Holy overreaction batman.
Gotta admit though spaz, it's been building. There was a slight lull for some parts of the last 4 games, but it's been on the horizon.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:44 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Gotta admit though spaz, it's been building. There was a slight lull for some parts of the last 4 games, but it's been on the horizon.
Yeah I was only kidding but IMO they really didn't play that bad tonight. Yes I know they had some defensive lapses but they did have 33 shots and had a lot of good opportunities to score.

I also thought the 3rd goal understandably took the wind out of their sails.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Oilers Hockey

IMO the biggest letdown so far this year has been...

Old
11-08-2003, 07:48 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Yeah I was only kidding but IMO they really didn't play that bad tonight. Yes I know they had some defensive lapses but they did have 33 shots and had a lot of good opportunities to score.

I also thought the 3rd goal understandably took the wind out of their sails.
Definately took the wind out, but they also didn't create any real sustained pressure or control the powerplay of course. I thought they played very indicative of a team with the lineup they did. I mean, just look at it....ugh.

Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Laraque-Sarno-Smyth
Salmelainen-Horcoff-Chimera

Not sure if there are many teams that lineup would beat a decent percentage of the time.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:53 PM
bfan

Quote:
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Laraque-Sarno-Smyth

Not sure if there are many teams that lineup would beat a decent percentage of the time.
Come on, how many times have people compared lineups on paper only to be proven wrong. Minnesota? Anaheim? Ring a bell. Heck, Calgary fans always compare their team on paper before the season, and the Oilers always end up ahead.

It's a 4 line game the Oilers play, and with the addition of one center, and putting Conklin in it's not too shabby. I also believe many players haven't played well at all this season, just wait a bit.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:09 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan
Come on, how many times have people compared lineups on paper only to be proven wrong. Minnesota? Anaheim? Ring a bell. Heck, Calgary fans always compare their team on paper before the season, and the Oilers always end up ahead.

It's a 4 line game the Oilers play, and with the addition of one center, and putting Conklin in it's not too shabby. I also believe many players haven't played well at all this season, just wait a bit.
I'm saying that lineup won't win alot of games. It also won't be in place for any more games (hopefully). I just looked at that lineup tonight and a couple thoughts sprung into my mind: AHL or Nashville/any other team you identify with lack of scoring, couldn't decide between the two. You do notice I said decent percentage. This one on the other hand:

Smyth-Comrie/new guy-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Laraque/Salmelainen-Chimera/Stoll/Sarno-Isbister

Could lay down some reasonable beatings a decent percentage of the time I'd wager.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:44 PM
hockeyaddict101

Good points

Quote:
Definately took the wind out, but they also didn't create any real sustained pressure or control the powerplay of course. I thought they played very indicative of a team with the lineup they did. I mean, just look at it....ugh.

Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Laraque-Sarno-Smyth

Really they didn't play great and they didn't play terrible. It seemed like they were devoid of all emotion. They needed a spark, Jason Smith tried with a couple of good hits but no one really stood out.

A few players played decent but no one was spectaculor. I think even with this lineup they could have played better but I wasn't terribly angry after the loss because I thought that it wasn't a terrible game and Salo let in the goal that IMO killed them.

Don't get me wrong I am not happy with the loss but it may have been a different hockey game if the Oilers get some breaks around the net and Salo doesn't daydream in the nets.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:37 PM
USC Trojans
AD

well, I'm up to the point where I've lowered my expectations for the team. No point in getting myself all pissed off every game. But this season has been a rollercoaster so far...and I'm tired of wondering which team will show up during the game.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:59 PM
fuhr

This team is not a playoff team unless Salo carries them to the playoffs. He's obviously not doing that at the moment but with this present line up they are not going to make the playoffs regardless of how Salo plays. Get a body in here to replace Comrie and we'll see. They're best line is the checking line and the D pretty much runs around in their own end and cover no one. Face it.........they are not that great a team and most nights they don't work hard enough to make up the difference.

Old
11-09-2003, 12:55 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

im one of those who has lowered his expectations. one game they tantalize us with their play, the next game everybody got into grandpas hooch. the realities of a young, inconsistent team.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Meanashell11

Think back to this time last year. If Comrie, Carter, Janne, and Salo were injured we would all understand that we are going to have a tough time making the playoffs. Now this year comrie, carter, and janne are gone, those we have replacing them are not yet living up to the opportunity, and salo is playing likes hes not here either. And we wonder why we are inconsistant. Bottom line is I still think we have what it takes but salo is a huge disappointment. Smyth said after the TOR game that salo has won games for them and sometimes they have to win one for him but can anyone really remember the last game salo stole a game for us? I can't. Either Tommy starts playing like a starting goalie or we are in real trouble.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:37 PM
copperaddict

I've been an Oiler fan for 20 years and for the first time I hope they lose some games. I want this to happen because I want to see some changes.Conklin deserves some more starts the way he has been playing. Rita needs to get in the lineup for us to see once and for all if he has what it takes(I believe he does).He could be the goal scorer that Hemsky really needs to gel.Semenov does not deserve to be in the press box before Fergie or Cross.Horcoff should be in T.O centering the 3rd line,not the 1st line for the Oil. Lowe can't sit and wait like he has for the last couple of years hoping this team turns it around on their own. There is obvious holes that need to be taken care of.We are missing not 1 but 2 top line centers. Torres deserves more minutes to see what we really have. I can't see the Oil being able to keep Staios and Smith next year as their both free agents.There is alot of teams right now that are looking for a Smith type veteran that the return could really help us.I would like to see another Brewer type project sometime soon as we have a number of good tutors for these guys.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:47 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaddict
I've been an Oiler fan for 20 years and for the first time I hope they lose some games. I want this to happen because I want to see some changes.Conklin deserves some more starts the way he has been playing. Rita needs to get in the lineup for us to see once and for all if he has what it takes(I believe he does).He could be the goal scorer that Hemsky really needs to gel.Semenov does not deserve to be in the press box before Fergie or Cross.Horcoff should be in T.O centering the 3rd line,not the 1st line for the Oil. Lowe can't sit and wait like he has for the last couple of years hoping this team turns it around on their own. There is obvious holes that need to be taken care of.We are missing not 1 but 2 top line centers. Torres deserves more minutes to see what we really have. I can't see the Oil being able to keep Staios and Smith next year as their both free agents.There is alot of teams right now that are looking for a Smith type veteran that the return could really help us.I would like to see another Brewer type project sometime soon as we have a number of good tutors for these guys.
TOTALLY AGREED. ive been an oiler fan ever since i was born which has been 17 years. i want them to lose games so they wake up and smell the coffee. The 4 game unbeaten streak wasnt a pretty one and probably got to their head and toronto just took out all the emotion and energy out of the Oilers. i want them to lose and get out worked so change will happen. I want horcoff out of here. Chimera gone. Laraque gone unlesss he proves he can be consistent, hit and fight and not think he is a playmaker and a scorer on this team because hes not. I want semenov paired with Brewer. Fergurson and cross can be in and out each game. Salamenin and rita stay with stoll and thats one line right there. Every year theres like a hamiltion line now its toronto line i guess. And that line could be it with stoll and sarno/switching places if they need to. Sign comrie because i believe this line would be really good. Comrie will finish most of the time if he gets passes from hemsky. Smyth does the hard work and comrie/hemsky bring it in give it to hemsky comrie gets a good position to shoot. And smyth is at the door to knock any rebounds in. Thats what i wish would happen haha but wont happen. Any news on the comrie to LA? cause my friend also heard that so i have no idea what the ******* is going on.

Old
11-09-2003, 04:07 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
jesus christ everybody just calm the heck down.

you;ve all been supporting the oilers for a long long time now and you should all realise that the oilers always start improving later in the season and dont really break out with a great winning percentage early on. Yes there is goaltending and defensive issues but then half the team aren't even playing on their game which they will do come december just give it time this heritage classic could be the key turnaround point for this team if they win greatly.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:10 PM
Master Lok

Geeez.. Holy overreaction Batman!

So far on this road trip: won in Montreal, tied Ottawa and lost in Toronto. Yup, the SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!

The reality is that we have a young team, with changes on every line. Compare our current lines:

Smyth - Horcoff - hemsky (yah, I know he sat out)
Torres - York - Dvorak
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani
Isbister - Sarno - Salmo / Laraques

Torres, Dvorak, Isbister, SArno, Salmo, MAB, Conklin were all NOT here at the start of LAST year's season. Pisani was a callup. Its only Hemsky's second year. Reasoner was sent down to the minors last year. We traded away Carter and Niiniimaa, two veterans. Fact is that we have a young, relatively inexperienced lineup. Its not helped by the fact that Salo has played poorly, and its now revealed that he's been playing hurt to the point where he needs to get an MRI done. Even the veterans have to adjust to the new players. We lack the stability in the lineup and that lack is reflected in our games. There will be some tough times. If we panicked every time the Oiler fans did, then we would REALLY REALLY lack any type of stability in the lineup.

I think a lot of things would have been helped if Comrie had not held out and we had a true #1 center.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:46 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

My question would be, when are people going to stop with the "calm down" posts and start realizing that all these things did not pop up over night, and have instead been festering, waiting to be expressed. It's not like people are actually reacting to one loss when they go on a rant, it's a build-up.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:55 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I am still trying to figure out these people who are saying Rita should be in the lineup...

<b>No he shouldn't</b>

Until he realizes that he has to play hard every night, he doesn't belong in the NHL.

For those who haven't watched more than the 1 game against the baby leafs, he hasn't played well. If he isn't playing well down in the AHL, I'm not sure what is possessing you to think he will magically transform into Hemsky's wingman and primary sniper...

It isn't going to happen. Rita will not be a top line player. He has good strength, great speed and a good shot... but good doesn't translate into top line player. At best, he will be a 2nd line forward. Chances are, he will be a 3rd line player that pops 20 or so goals... unfortunately, until he finds the defensive aspect of his game he left back in Hamilton, he isn't of any use to the Oilers.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:13 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I am still trying to figure out these people who are saying Rita should be in the lineup...

<b>No he shouldn't</b>

Until he realizes that he has to play hard every night, he doesn't belong in the NHL.

For those who haven't watched more than the 1 game against the baby leafs, he hasn't played well. If he isn't playing well down in the AHL, I'm not sure what is possessing you to think he will magically transform into Hemsky's wingman and primary sniper...

It isn't going to happen. Rita will not be a top line player. He has good strength, great speed and a good shot... but good doesn't translate into top line player. At best, he will be a 2nd line forward. Chances are, he will be a 3rd line player that pops 20 or so goals... unfortunately, until he finds the defensive aspect of his game he left back in Hamilton, he isn't of any use to the Oilers.
Wow DB, I think we agree on something.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Slats432

I am another one in silent mode. I think that at this juncture mildly disappointed is the term I would use to describe the team's performance up to now.

I said it last year, I said it in the offseason....

Mr. Craig MacTavish. Would you please decide what your lines are and for good or bad play them for the first 45 minutes of every game unless down by two goals or more. And when you change them if you are losing...go back to the original lines for the next game unless there is a huge epiphany with a line uber-clicking.

What are the lines? Anyone know? I don't. Christ at least in Calgary you could tell what their first line is..Conroy, Iggy, McCammond. Vancouver...Nas-Bert-Mor...Colorado...Hedjuk, Forsberg, Tanguay....what about us?

The Oilers haven't had a set line that has lasted an entire season in several seasons. That is pathetic. I am beginning to think that this team finds 90+ points every season despite the coach, not because of him.

Tommy Salo. I have no defense for you. In the offseason it was keep you, trade you, no real preference. My only thought is that if you stayed you had to go back to two years ago and re-establish yourself as a top half of the NHL(by no means dominant) starting NHL goalie. At this particular time, any one of the three Buffalo goalies, any one of the three Phoenix goalies, any one of the 14 Atlanta goalies( ) would be preferable to the dogshyt offerings that you have put on our plate this year. I am disgusted by your numbers and the fact is that right now there are about 150-200 goaltenders out there that I would rather have between the pipes than you. If NHL scoring is down, can you really understand how bad you have to be to have a .866 sv % and 3.42 GAA? I HATE CURTIS JOSEPH AND I AM BEGINNING TO HATE YOU FOR MAKING ME LAMENT FOR THE TIME HE WAS OUR GOALIE. Pick your game up of get the Hell out of dodge.

Mike Comrie. Good bye. Good riddance. Give me any combination of decent players/prospects/picks for your sorry, irreconcilable a$$ and I will be glad when the mess you and Winter created is over.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:35 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I am another one in silent mode. I think that at this juncture mildly disappointed is the term I would use to describe the team's performance up to now.

Mr. Craig MacTavish. Would you please decide what your lines are and for good or bad play them for the first 45 minutes of every game unless down by two goals or more. And when you change them if you are losing...go back to the original lines for the next game unless there is a huge epiphany with a line uber-clicking.

What are the lines? Anyone know? I don't. Christ at least in Calgary you could tell what their first line is..Conroy, Iggy, McCammond. Vancouver...Nas-Bert-Mor...Colorado...Hedjuk, Forsberg, Tanguay....what about us?
So you want the coach to do nothing until the oilers are losing by 2? So the Oilers are getting badly out-played, and only down by 1, you don't make a switch?

Mac-T hasn't touched the 2 lines that have actually played well the past week (RPM, DYT). When things aren't clicking you need to make changes... unless of course you want a hockey version of Lenny Wilkens who's entire philosophy is "meh". The Oilers don't have a centre capable of looking like a #1 centre. York could, but he has his line clicking right along right now, so I don't see a need to change that. Reasoner has his going... It's not like things are clicking and Mac-T goes "hmmmmm.... let's use Cross as a forward on this shift".

And btw... for most of the year, Calgary's top line hasn't been Iginla, Conroy and McAmmond.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:35 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432

The Oilers haven't had a set line that has lasted an entire season in several seasons. That is pathetic. I am beginning to think that this team finds 90+ points every season despite the coach, not because of him.

Tommy Salo. I have no defense for you. In the offseason it was keep you, trade you, no real preference. My only thought is that if you stayed you had to go back to two years ago and re-establish yourself as a top half of the NHL(by no means dominant) starting NHL goalie. At this particular time, any one of the three Buffalo goalies, any one of the three Phoenix goalies, any one of the 14 Atlanta goalies( ) would be preferable to the dogshyt offerings that you have put on our plate this year. I am disgusted by your numbers and the fact is that right now there are about 150-200 goaltenders out there that I would rather have between the pipes than you. If NHL scoring is down, can you really understand how bad you have to be to have a .866 sv % and 3.42 GAA? I HATE CURTIS JOSEPH AND I AM BEGINNING TO HATE YOU FOR MAKING ME LAMENT FOR THE TIME HE WAS OUR GOALIE. Pick your game up of get the Hell out of dodge.

Mike Comrie. Good bye. Good riddance. Give me any combination of decent players/prospects/picks for your sorry, irreconcilable a$$ and I will be glad when the mess you and Winter created is over.
Excellent rant. Have you tried being on the Jim Rome show?

Old
11-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Excellent rant. Have you tried being on the Jim Rome show?
I like Rome...not enough hockey but I still like Rome. And dawgbone, as much as shuffling the deck...can you tell me who Gretzky's winger was in Edmonton? Messier's winger? Weight's wingers when he was here?

Maybe we should throw our hands in the air saying no player on our team is good enough to develop any sort of chemistry with another.

I will tell you this because I was at training camp more often than not. THE best line by far, and so far ahead of any other line it was no contest...Smyth, Isbister, Pisani....but the guys that made the line click were Smyth and Isbister. If you can tell me with any reasonable certainty how much time Isbister has played with Smyth this year to prove or disprove the quality of that line then I can at least back you to some extent.

The fact is, MacT knows nothing about line combinations. He knows nothing about familiarity with another player building cohesiveness within the line unit. I don't really remember the coach but he said that the broke the season in to 5 game segments. Well, why in God's name couldn't MacT run with the lines for 5 games to see what kind of pattern develops. How can a line get on a roll when it doesn't exist after one great game and then 10 minutes of poor play?

This is the reason you find us having one great game and a dog right after it. As Jamie Lundmark...he will tell you when you give a player a job and tell him what to do and how to do it, you have better success if you don't change his role after about 70 minutes.

I work for a company. We have salesmen. If they salesmen don't sell for two days, we don't move them to shipping and receiving.

Here is an example, and you and I could do it ourselves if we wished. We could go over the strengths and weaknesses of all of our players and develop the most likely successful lines. Why can't MacT do that and give them a reasonable amount of time to do something?

(Personally the set up man Hemsky with Smyth and Isbister would be a line that I would keep together for 5 games.)

We have defensive pairings. Why does MacT keep those guys together? Bergeron with Ferguson, Brewer and Staios, Smith and Cross. Because those guys work as a pair and as a cohesive unit because you have to know what your partner is doing and predict what moves he is going to make so you can react to him.

Lines are no different. We all played hockey(or alot of us did.) In Junior I played with a buddy named Colin. We didn't score every game and didn't play well every game. But overall we played well together. I knew what he was going to do in certain situations and he knew that if he got the puck in the neutral zone that I wanted to be the first guy to the puck.(First guy take the man, 2nd take the puck ) There were many times that he would get the puck just over centre and dump it in because he knew that when I saw him going for the puck I was going to go full blast into their zone.

The theory is the same. If a set of players knows each other, they find each others strengths and weaknesses. They work towards the strengths and cover each other's weaknesses.

You don't think that all of those passes from Messier when he was going behind the net back behind him so Anderson could put them short side were made by mistake? They were made because the two damn guys played together for years. Not 70 minute stretches.

Closed Thread