HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scott Walker traded for Josef Vasicek

Old
07-19-2006, 12:09 PM
kingmoore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Pretymuch. A lot of Canes fans tend to dog the guy (IMO injustly), but the offensive skills he has would make him one of the premier #2 centers in the league if he can show any kind of consistency asside from being consistently inconsistent.
For anyone that doesn't frequent the Canes board, it is a well known fact over there that DaveG is Vasicek's fiance (posting under a male pseudo), and often comes on to defend/talk up Joe.

kingmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 01:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoore View Post
For anyone that doesn't frequent the Canes board, it is a well known fact over there that DaveG is Vasicek's fiance (posting under a male pseudo), and often comes on to defend/talk up Joe.
damn, I've been found out

seriously though, something just tells me that Vasicek's situation is not all too different from the way the Malik situation was. Big Czech player that fans thought wasn't nessicarily giving the effort he should, battling inconsistency problems throughout their career, and not exactly the king of popularity in their time in Raleigh. Thankfully, I'd say it's safe to say that Walker is a better fit in the Carolina system then either Hlavac or Druken were at the time of the Malik trade.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:03 PM
Popcorn_Shrimp*

i like walker alot
he's one hell of a third liner who can fight....hit....works his a*s off....and can step up and play a more offensive role if need be

cool deal for both teams.

Popcorn_Shrimp* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:53 PM
bleedgreen

hall just went for dom moore, i wouldnt have minded having hall....kinda of a younger walker.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:57 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
hall just went for dom moore, i wouldnt have minded having hall....kinda of a younger walker.
Hall is not anything like Walker.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Hall is not anything like Walker.
isnt hall like 24? when walker was 24 he was in the press box. when i say a young walker, i mean he could develop into a similar player.

Old
07-19-2006, 04:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
isnt hall like 24? when walker was 24 he was in the press box. when i say a young walker, i mean he could develop into a similar player.
No, he can't. Walker is a physical undersized grinder with some speed and skill. Hall is a slow big winger with a good release that plays a solid 2 way game. Their styles aren't remotely similar.

Old
07-19-2006, 04:17 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
No, he can't. Walker is a physical undersized grinder with some speed and skill. Hall is a slow big winger with a good release that plays a solid 2 way game. Their styles aren't remotely similar.
we agree to disagree then. time will tell.

Old
07-19-2006, 04:29 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoore View Post
At the same time, Vasicek is unfairly criticized. I'm going to think what I saw in training camp and at the beginning of the season (and that game he returned from injury) is the real Joe Vasicek.

It's a win-win trade if Vasicek steps up.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
impeach estaalo
timgleson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16
At the same time, Vasicek is unfairly criticized. I'm going to think what I saw in training camp and at the beginning of the season (and that game he returned from injury) is the real Joe Vasicek.
C 63 Vasicek, Josef 6GP 7G 3A 10PTS
C 18 Zigomanis, Mike 6GP 3G 6A 9PTS
D 24 *Hutchinson, Andrew 7GP 1G 8A 9PTS
RW 26 Cole, Erik 6GP 1G 6A 7PTS
C 12 Staal, Eric 7GP 3G 2A 5PTS
RW 59 *LaRose, Chad 6GP 2G 3A 5PTS

Yes. Chad LaRose and Mike Zigomanis scored at a higher pace than Eric Staal in pre-season. Are we to believe that they are superior players to Staal? No. How, then, is ten-points-in-six-games Vasicek the "real" Vasicek when he has never done anything the past to show us that he is capable or likely to match that feat in the regular season?

Not suprisingly, Vasicek went on to score a whopping 2 goals (including an empty netter) and 3 assists in 15 regular season games before being injured.

Last edited by impeach estaalo: 07-19-2006 at 05:55 PM.
impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 06:24 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahz View Post
C 63 Vasicek, Josef 6GP 7G 3A 10PTS
C 18 Zigomanis, Mike 6GP 3G 6A 9PTS
D 24 *Hutchinson, Andrew 7GP 1G 8A 9PTS
RW 26 Cole, Erik 6GP 1G 6A 7PTS
C 12 Staal, Eric 7GP 3G 2A 5PTS
RW 59 *LaRose, Chad 6GP 2G 3A 5PTS

Yes. Chad LaRose and Mike Zigomanis scored at a higher pace than Eric Staal in pre-season. Are we to believe that they are superior players to Staal? No. How, then, is ten-points-in-six-games Vasicek the "real" Vasicek when he has never done anything the past to show us that he is capable or likely to match that feat in the regular season?

Not suprisingly, Vasicek went on to score a whopping 2 goals (including an empty netter) and 3 assists in 15 regular season games before being injured.
I'm not talking about stats.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 03:34 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
we agree to disagree then. time will tell.
Time will tell? Time isn't going to change the fact that Hall is tall and average speed wise, Walker is short and quick - they are not similar players in a physical sense whatsoever, and time won't change that.

I'm starting to question some of Poile's moves. He seems to be sacrificing a lot of character with the recent departures of Walker, Hall and Johnson. Is he expecting a Radulov to come in and replace the leadership of those players this season? The team has underperformed in the playofs; getting rid of several of its character players isn't necessarily the answer IMO.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 03:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually Hall and Johnson were part of the problem, too passive, we need more aggressive players to attack more offensively. Hall and Johnson are the opposite of this.

Walker is just hurt too much and had been replaced by Upshall. We've heard rumblings he was beginning to be a lockerroom problem too and Poile said Walker didn't like the direction the team was going and was not willing to take on a lesser role with the team. So sounds like Walker's character might be part of the problem.

Old
07-20-2006, 04:52 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Actually Hall and Johnson were part of the problem, too passive, we need more aggressive players to attack more offensively. Hall and Johnson are the opposite of this.

Walker is just hurt too much and had been replaced by Upshall. We've heard rumblings he was beginning to be a lockerroom problem too and Poile said Walker didn't like the direction the team was going and was not willing to take on a lesser role with the team. So sounds like Walker's character might be part of the problem.

How many offensive players do you need? Is Vasicek supposed to replace Johnsoin's two-way play? He's certainly not more aggressive; i can assure you of that. The Preds may be young and exciting, but I think they're going overboard with the jettisoning of veterans when you include Markov and Eaton (and Witt for a couple months) along with Perreault, Johnson, Hall and Walker.

As much as I like Upshall and Radulov, they're not ready to assume important roles on a successful playoff team IMO.

As for rumours of Walker being a cancer; don't believe everything you read; that's all they are is internet rumours at this point. To deny that he's not a character player is just plain wrong - he's all about character.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:08 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It wasn't an internet rumor and I trust the source. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Johnson is not a 2 way player and we'll see on Vasicek.

Upshall is very much ready for a full time role with the Predators and can already equal Walker, and will continue to get better.

Maybe Vasicek isn't aggressive, he'll certainly be faster and more aggressive than Hall.

Perreault was a healthy scratch in the playoffs and last part of the season, he had already been replaced and that was before we signed Arnott.

This situation reminds me of 02/03 when we made our first youth movement, all the people were on here telling us how we're dumping the wrong players, Hamhuis and Zidlicky aren't good enough to carry the load, Eaton is not a full time NHLer, etc. We see how that turned out.

This is just the next step for us. We are no longer an expansion team and have the talent to get better. We had to shed some dead weight to allow that talent to shine.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:12 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Time will tell? Time isn't going to change the fact that Hall is tall and average speed wise, Walker is short and quick - they are not similar players in a physical sense whatsoever, and time won't change that.
well, since i wasnt talking about in a physical sense...or as players right now...im still ok with the distant comparison.

and if joe is faster than hall....then im faster than hall. joe has been argueably the slowest forward in the nhl at times. if he wasnt so big, you could argue he wasnt moving at all.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:16 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll bet Joe is faster than Hall.

Old
07-20-2006, 06:03 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
I'll bet Joe is faster than Hall.
well, apparently its a dubious race to uh...win. lets just agree that neither will draw comparisons to bure.

joe has the whole wingspan thing going fo rhim, it really gives off the impression pof some basic speed....but really he can just about reach board to board so it can be deceptive.

Old
07-22-2006, 03:55 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker View Post
I'll be honest I was lazy and didn't look but has Vasicek ever scored 20 goals?? I don't think so
my mistake...he scored 19 goals and 45 pts in his last full season

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote