HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Explain how Gomez becomes a UFA next week

Old
07-18-2006, 07:48 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Explain how Gomez becomes a UFA next week

Some of these other threads alluded to a situation where the NJ center could actually become an UFA next week. I know about RFA/Compensation, the arbitration hearing and the NJ cap problems.

If it transpires that he can actually become an UFA a team can sign him without compensating NJ?\

What's the magic number? What is the threshold that NJ won't be able to meet the arbitrators ruling?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Unsustainable
HFBoards Sponsor

yes, it is possible. If Gomez wins his arbitration hearing and is awarded a large contract, and NJ is unwilling to or can't afford to pay it, then he becomes a UFA free to sign with whoever he wants for however much he can get. NJ essentially waives their rights to his services.

Last I heard, the 5 or 6 million dollar marks are the magic numbers that would essential set him free, unless NJ can dump some major salary on somebody else.

Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Well, apparently NJ offered him 4M and he wants 5-6M. NJ CANT pay him much higher than 4 because of their salary cap situation.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I think the only way Gomez can become an RFA is if the Devils walk away from the arbitration reward.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I didn't think of the whole "10% over the cap" thing.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Unsustainable
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I think the only way Gomez can become an RFA is if the Devils walk away from the arbitration reward.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I didn't think of the whole "10% over the cap" thing.
you mean UFA hehe

Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:55 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

If Vincent Lecavalier is a credible benchmark for what Gomez can ask for...Vinnie make 7+ million this season according to the NHLPA site.

If the arbitrator awards him 6.5...NJ can't pay and lose their rights to him can he than leave and sign anywhere for whatever $$$ the open market will bring?

Old
07-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
If Vincent Lecavalier is a credible benchmark for what Gomez can ask for...Vinnie make 7+ million this season according to the NHLPA site.

If the arbitrator awards him 6.5...NJ can't pay and lose their rights to him can he than leave and sign anywhere for whatever $$$ the open market will bring?
I bet his life long dream is playing with American Legend Matt Cullen!

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 07:56 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Some of these other threads alluded to a situation where the NJ center could actually become an UFA next week. I know about RFA/Compensation, the arbitration hearing and the NJ cap problems.

If it transpires that he can actually become an UFA a team can sign him without compensating NJ?\

What's the magic number? What is the threshold that NJ won't be able to meet the arbitrators ruling?
Right now the devils are around 42M not including QOs. The QOs for Martin Hale and Gionta = between 2.0 and 3.0M in cap space (2.5ish?).

42M+2.5= 44.5M
Cap +10% = 48.4M

48.4 - 44.5 = 3.9M of free salary cap room.

That means that an award OVER 3.9M for Gomez on friday and the Devils cannot agree to it without moving enough salary to be under that 48.4M limit.

If they cannot move enough salary via buyout or trade in a set amount of time (48 hours maybe?), they are forced to walk away from Gomez and he becomes a UFA.

07-18-2006, 07:58 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I bet his life long dream is playing with American Legend Matt Cullen!

That was very funny.....seriously

Old
07-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Right now the devils are around 42M not including QOs. The QOs for Martin Hale and Gionta = between 2.0 and 3.0M in cap space (2.5ish?).

42M+2.5= 44.5M
Cap +10% = 48.4M

That means that an award OVER 3.9M for Gomez on friday and the Devils cannot agree to it without moving enough salary to be under that 48.4M limit.

If they cannot move enough salary via buyout or trade in a set amount of time (48 hours maybe?), they are forced to walk away from Gomez and he becomes a UFA.

Actual # is 6.1 because McGillis' 2.2 doesn't count against the cap, he's a minor leaguer for another year.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:00 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

should be a interesting next couple of days

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:02 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

42M+2.5= 44.5M
Cap +10% = 48.4M

NJ has 40.8M committed to one-way contracts/not McGillis including the QOs to Martin, Hale, and Gionta. There will be enough room to sign him.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Spawn

So if a GM knows that NJ wont be able to pay Gomez, then why even trade for him? why not wate until he is a UFA and sign him for free?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfloorpunch716x View Post
should be a interesting next couple of days

I have a funny feeling something big is brewing between Edmonton-NJ as we speak.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

A trade means he's yours, assuming all make nice.

If he hits the market....someone may just out bid you with money and or whatever other incentives might entice Gomez to want to play for Team X

Old
07-18-2006, 08:05 PM
PEli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujifuu View Post
So if a GM knows that NJ wont be able to pay Gomez, then why even trade for him? why not wate until he is a UFA and sign him for free?
You get to be the only one to negotiate with him. If he's unrestricted, you're competing with countless teams. If you trade for him, he's yours to talk to.

It's not like a team wouldn't trade for him without having agreed long term with him anyway.

PEli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

If they trade him before the friday does he still get the hearing?

Won't the other team be in the same boat

Old
07-18-2006, 08:09 PM
No One

Just talking out loud.....

There is a 2nd buyout period, which begins three days after last award or settlement for the Devils and lasts for 48 hours.

This 2nd Ordinary Course Buyout period is listed in the SPC, paragraph 13.c.ii.

There is also a clause in the CBA which indicates that a team, during the course of the agreement, can buy out no more than 3 contracts outside the Oridnary Course Buy Out periods.

I would think the contract of the players is not actually effective until such time where the "walk away" window is passed.

Hmmmm..

This is odd.. There is a buyout period which begins on the third day following the last arbitration decision for the team. However, there is a 48 hour window to accept the decision or not.

If Gomez gets an award that puts the Devils over the cap, would the Devils take the risk of being over the 10% (can they even do that?) even for 2 days, assuming they buy some contracts out?

No One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:10 PM
PEli*

Quote:
If they trade him before the friday does he still get the hearing?

Won't the other team be in the same boat
He wouldn't be dealt before the hearing. He'd be dealt after the hearing. If the Devils realize that they can't afford him, they'll trade him then.

Chain of events...

1. Devils learn that Gomez wins an arbitration award more than they can spend.

2. Devils try to make salary room for Gomez.

3. Devils can't make room.

4. Devils are forced to trade Gomez's rights to another team within 48 hours or lose his rights altogether.

Hope that makes sense.

PEli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:18 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Actual # is 6.1 because McGillis' 2.2 doesn't count against the cap, he's a minor leaguer for another year.
McGillis counts during the summer as he has a one way contract. Where he finished the season last year has no relevance. I already posted the relevant CBA section in your forum LINK

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:19 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

someone needs to contact the NHLPA. They have NJ at $45,232M including both Mogilny & Malakhov, but does not include Hale, Martin, Gionta & Gomez. You have to figure that Gomez gets a Brad Richards type award. Similar players, both RFAs.
Gionta should get $2.5M - $3M. Hale & MArtin have to be near $1M a piece with Martin certainly getting more.

Interesting comment from Gomez's dad about all the BS they have put up with over the years in NJ. Seems as though that is always the story.

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...770.xml&coll=1
"It has been a marriage made in hell with Scott and the Devils (because of salary squabbles and strained relationships with some coaches), but he wants to stay with the Devils. We want this to work out."

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:20 PM
SuperUnknown

I don't think Gomez will get more than $4M in arbitration. I'd be very surprised to see him get more.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:20 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One View Post
Just talking out loud.....

There is a 2nd buyout period, which begins three days after last award or settlement for the Devils and lasts for 48 hours.
Not for the Devils, the buyout period only comes into effect if more then 1 person files for arbitration.

So it actually would have helped Lou if Gionta had filed. Strange.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 08:23 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEli View Post
He wouldn't be dealt before the hearing. He'd be dealt after the hearing. If the Devils realize that they can't afford him, they'll trade him then.

Chain of events...

1. Devils learn that Gomez wins an arbitration award more than they can spend.

2. Devils try to make salary room for Gomez.

3. Devils can't make room.

4. Devils are forced to trade Gomez's rights to another team within 48 hours or lose his rights altogether.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks...but does that team hes traded to have to pay the Arbitrators salary and is that not deemed a one year deal....making Gomez a UFA next year anyways....

who wants to trade talent for that deal?

Old
07-18-2006, 08:23 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
someone needs to contact the NHLPA. They have NJ at $45,232M including both Mogilny & Malakhov, but does not include Hale, Martin, Gionta & Gomez. You have to figure that Gomez gets a Brad Richards type award. Similar players, both RFAs.
Gionta should get $2.5M - $3M. Hale & MArtin have to be near $1M a piece with Martin certainly getting more.

Interesting comment from Gomez's dad about all the BS they have put up with over the years in NJ. Seems as though that is always the story.

http://www.nj.com/devils/ledger/inde...770.xml&coll=1
"It has been a marriage made in hell with Scott and the Devils (because of salary squabbles and strained relationships with some coaches), but he wants to stay with the Devils. We want this to work out."
NHLPA has Elias listed at 7.5 instead of 6, Madden at 3.8 instead of 2.9, Doyle, Greene, Rupp, Ryznar, and Tallackson listed, all on 2-way contracts. Please go away ATLRANGER, we know what we're talking about. Why don't you go down to Newark and watch our arena get built...or have they failed to knock down the buildings yet.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote