HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If anyone in the Edmonton area is interested...

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

vCash: 500
If anyone in the Edmonton area is interested...

I'll be on John Short's Any Sport Anytime show today at about 4:35 pm (your time) to discuss the Oilers-Bruins matchup.

I realize this is a shamelss self-promotion, but what the hey- you might be interested in some of my insights, maybe not.

In any case- it's an invite to check it out if you want to get more of a look at what is going on from the Boston perspective.

Old
11-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Lowetide

Thanks for the heads up Kirk. Always listen when I can, and enjoy your posts on the Bruin board and your outstanding articles for NEHJ.

Old
11-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Slats432

For those who don't know that is 930 CJCA...and for you non Edmonton guys....I think you can get webcast here....

http://www.am930thelight.com/ (There is a NOW ON AIR /Listen Online box)

Old
11-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Mizral

I just finished listening to your talk with Short, Kirk.

You came off very knowledgable and, of course, as a Bruins fan. But obviously, you know what you're talking about. A few points I'd like to make though:

1 - Your talk about Bergeron was nice, and you're right, his prime strengths are vision/hockey sense/maturity. But I thought you missed out saying that he really has a lot of fight in him. That's what really impressed me about Patrice when I saw him. He doesn't quit on plays.

2 - Your talk about the refs. While all your points were valid, I wish sometimes that people would remember that things were not a pinch better back in the 1-ref system. In fact, it might have been worse. Let's not forget, the reason they went to 2-refs was the fans & media were crying about missed/bad calls out there all the time.

3 - Nice plug by Hockey's Future. I notice you plugged Lowetide there too.

4 - Big thank you for mentioning Raycroft's CHL achievements. Perhaps the biggest reason why I follow the Bruins is Raycroft's play for the Sudbury Wolves. Raycroft is routinely overlooked when it comes to some of the better CHL goaltenders of the last 4 or 5 years.

5 - Short said, as you closed the interview, in case you missed it, 'I do look forward to it, he's a knowledgable guy.'

6 - About Bryan Berard, you're right, he was overrated. But I do think that one spot that you neglected to mention in your interview there was in regards to rushing the puck up ice. Berard I feel is better than Jillson, McGillis, and Boynton at this regard. As the season goes along, this may be missed more and more. Especially if Jillson falters later on.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:11 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I just finished listening to your talk with Short, Kirk.
1 - Your talk about Bergeron was nice, and you're right, his prime strengths are vision/hockey sense/maturity. But I thought you missed out saying that he really has a lot of fight in him. That's what really impressed me about Patrice when I saw him. He doesn't quit on plays.
Thanks for listening. Re: Bergeron, I could've taken the entire 10 minutes talking about him alone! He's a great kid, and you're right- what makes him effective is the way he takes the hit/gives the hit, skates into heavy traffic, and simply makes plays while looking like a veteran. But, I didn't want to turn it into the Patrice Bergeron show, as it was a limited segment and I know that John was looking to segue into other topics.

Quote:
2 - Your talk about the refs. While all your points were valid, I wish sometimes that people would remember that things were not a pinch better back in the 1-ref system. In fact, it might have been worse. Let's not forget, the reason they went to 2-refs was the fans & media were crying about missed/bad calls out there all the time.
The point isn't that life was ideal under the old system, but that we've added ONE MORE BODY to the ice, and has anything honestly IMPROVED? I don't think so. The NHL put another referee on the ice in order to catch more of the infractions, and when you see someone like Dumas standing there and he doesn't make the call, it is inexcusable. Enough with the spin, folks- the officials need to be held accountable when they don't make the simple calls. I thought I was careful to explain that we don't expect perfection or every call to be made, but when a player blatantly high sticks another, draws blood, yet no call is made, there is no satisfactory explanation for that. The reason for TWO referees is so that calls like that aren't missed. Dumas and Pollock should've been reprimanded. Period. And because they weren't, the message they get is that it is okay to decide whether to make a call in that instance. Calling a high stick like that is *not* optional. Make the call.

Quote:
3 - Nice plug by Hockey's Future. I notice you plugged Lowetide there too.
Lain deserves it. He's always been a class act since I've been on these boards going back to 2000.

Quote:
4 - Big thank you for mentioning Raycroft's CHL achievements. Perhaps the biggest reason why I follow the Bruins is Raycroft's play for the Sudbury Wolves. Raycroft is routinely overlooked when it comes to some of the better CHL goaltenders of the last 4 or 5 years.
It all comes down to where he was drafted, I think. If the B's had used a first-round pick on Raycroft, he would've been all over the prospect lists given his dominant season with Kingston when he won the Red Tillson. But since he wasn't a top-100, everyone just assumed he'd never pan out in the NHL.

Quote:
5 - Short said, as you closed the interview, in case you missed it, 'I do look forward to it, he's a knowledgable guy.'

6 - About Bryan Berard, you're right, he was overrated. But I do think that one spot that you neglected to mention in your interview there was in regards to rushing the puck up ice. Berard I feel is better than Jillson, McGillis, and Boynton at this regard. As the season goes along, this may be missed more and more. Especially if Jillson falters later on.
Berard may be better at moving the puck, but he is significantly worse than at least two of the three on defense. I know you aren't a big fan of Jillson, but he has something that Berard doesn't- two good eyes. Now, that may sound like a cheapshot, but it isn't. While laudable that Berard has resurrected his career, opponents will continue to exploit that weakness as long as he plays. Berard had significant problems in his own end last year and became a liability. Time may prove that he is a better player than he showed with the Bruins, but the team moved on without him. For better or worse. And, with Lars Jonsson looking to make some noise with his breakout season in Sweden, the B's could add another premium puck mover very soon. I wish Berard the best, but he had an opportunity to sign and elected not to. It ended up working out for him, but I don't think the Bruins will suffer losing him.

Thanks again for listening.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
You can listened to the archive of today show at

www.anysportanytime.com

Unbiased Canadian
Anysport Anytime

Old
11-11-2003, 02:13 PM
barto

I heard most of the interview, too - thanks for posting the thread here, Kirk, or I would have just left the radio on 630 CHED for their pre-game show. Always good to hear from someone who's following (and in your case, reporting on) the other team! Makes me a little worried that we're facing Raycroft tonight...

Bart

Old
11-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
The point isn't that life was ideal under the old system, but that we've added ONE MORE BODY to the ice, and has anything honestly IMPROVED? I don't think so. The NHL put another referee on the ice in order to catch more of the infractions, and when you see someone like Dumas standing there and he doesn't make the call, it is inexcusable. Enough with the spin, folks- the officials need to be held accountable when they don't make the simple calls. I thought I was careful to explain that we don't expect perfection or every call to be made, but when a player blatantly high sticks another, draws blood, yet no call is made, there is no satisfactory explanation for that. The reason for TWO referees is so that calls like that aren't missed. Dumas and Pollock should've been reprimanded. Period. And because they weren't, the message they get is that it is okay to decide whether to make a call in that instance. Calling a high stick like that is *not* optional. Make the call.
While I agree it hasn't worked every game, I would argue that things have improved somewhat. Maybe it was the 'foot in the crease' rule, but to me, '98-'99 NHL hockey was the absolute WORST hockey I've ever seen. I believe after that season, the 2-ref system was brought in. Anyways, it's tough to proove either way. I understand you've put another body there, and you're right, those two refs should have been reprimanded. I think part of the blame here should be put on Andy Van Hellamond's shoulders, as you 'sort-of' mentioned. He goes off and seemingly fires Mark Faucette for no particular reason, yet there are many other referees out there far worse. It seems to me that Andy plays favorites here, which bothers me.

Quote:
Lain deserves it. He's always been a class act since I've been on these boards going back to 2000.
Precisely why I asked to make him a moderator of these boards earlier this year. Though there are a lot of other great guys on the Oilers board too. It's becoming such a great community this year, compared to years gone by.

Quote:
It all comes down to where he was drafted, I think. If the B's had used a first-round pick on Raycroft, he would've been all over the prospect lists given his dominant season with Kingston when he won the Red Tillson. But since he wasn't a top-100, everyone just assumed he'd never pan out in the NHL.
You're quite right. I remember opening up my THN Draft Preview that year, and not seeing Raycroft ranked very high, and just shaking my head. Outside of Zac Bierk, Raycroft was my favorite OHL goaltender - still is. He has been underrated throughout his career. I'm not sure if he's ready yet, but he will be the B's #1 goaltender someday. No doubt in my mind.

Quote:
Berard may be better at moving the puck, but he is significantly worse than at least two of the three on defense. I know you aren't a big fan of Jillson, but he has something that Berard doesn't- two good eyes. Now, that may sound like a cheapshot, but it isn't. While laudable that Berard has resurrected his career, opponents will continue to exploit that weakness as long as he plays. Berard had significant problems in his own end last year and became a liability. Time may prove that he is a better player than he showed with the Bruins, but the team moved on without him. For better or worse. And, with Lars Jonsson looking to make some noise with his breakout season in Sweden, the B's could add another premium puck mover very soon. I wish Berard the best, but he had an opportunity to sign and elected not to. It ended up working out for him, but I don't think the Bruins will suffer losing him.

Thanks again for listening.
Again, I agree. I'm not trying to argue that the B's should have signed Berard. But the lack of a good rushing defenseman might hurt the Bruins. I have seen Dan McGillis rush the puck effectivly before, but as I've seen it, McGillis is being used as more of a defensive-defenseman than he has ever been in Edmonton, Philidelphia, and San Jose.

Jillson - I'm close to admiting I'm wrong on this one

Old
11-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
I think part of the blame here should be put on Andy Van Hellamond's shoulders, as you 'sort-of' mentioned. He goes off and seemingly fires Mark Faucette for no particular reason, yet there are many other referees out there far worse. It seems to me that Andy plays favorites here, which bothers me.

You're quite right. I remember opening up my THN Draft Preview that year, and not seeing Raycroft ranked very high, and just shaking my head. Outside of Zac Bierk, Raycroft was my favorite OHL goaltender - still is. He has been underrated throughout his career. I'm not sure if he's ready yet, but he will be the B's #1 goaltender someday. No doubt in my mind.

Jillson - I'm close to admiting I'm wrong on this one
Thanks to all who took the time to post feedback. I didn't realize it, but after Montreal's board, you guys are the most happening forum on HF. Great job!

Mizral- Van Hellemond is part of the problem, not the solution. Unless the NHL takes action to get him out of the equation, we will continue to have problems with the calling of infractions. When he was a ref, he was very reactionary and rarely proactive, throwing the book at the player who took matters in his own hands when Van Hellemond failed to control the game by calling the initial infraction. Not sure how he ended up in the HHOF, but he's there. And, with his thumbprint on the NHL's young referees, is it any wonder there are problems? He wasn't ever accountable when he was a ref himself, and according to a source of mine, he keeps the refs under him from answering for their mistakes. Nobody's looking for a hanging jury, but unless these guys feel the heat when they use poor judgment, they won't ever learn to act responsibly.

Oilers fans- One prospect of yours that I have had the pleasure of watching and knowing is Colin McDonald. Keep an eye on him- I think he'll be a good player for you guys some day. Great pick by the Oil, and I'm not just saying that because I had written that I hoped some NHL team would have the sense to take him there...

Closed Thread