HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: official mets disscusion thread (including playoffs)

Old
07-18-2006, 11:14 PM
xander

vCash: 500
OT: official mets disscusion thread (including playoffs)

Is anyone else interested in discussing the mets on a day to day basis? I know there are some mets fans on this board, and I refuse to find yet another mesage board to discuss them, posting on 3 is enough as it is.

assuming that there is interest, would one of the mods sticky this?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

NY Mets: Great regular season team... out in the 1st round of the playoffs

I'd love to be wrong.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:22 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
sure. count me in, Yeah I am a Flyer fan, but I am also a lifelong Met fan.

Mike Pelfry goes 6 strong innings tonite to improve to 2-0.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:25 PM
xander

did you actually see the game? I ask because it's hard to get a reall good read of how good his stuff was from listening on the radio. Definetly looks like he made a progression, which is the most that you can ask. And there can be no doubt that he has #1 potential.

Don't worry about being a flyers fan. I manage to forget that alot of the guys on this board are yankees fans when we talk hockey, I'm sure I can overlook your hockey transgressions when we talk baseball .

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:33 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Diehard Met fan, haven't missed more than 5 games, saw tonight's Pelfrey had great stuff early, annoying though, seems like he has no breaking ball. Well, believe it or not he was throwing that slider over often late in the game and he was able to develop a change during the course of the game

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:44 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Diehard Met fan, haven't missed more than 5 games, saw tonight's Pelfrey had great stuff early, annoying though, seems like he has no breaking ball. Well, believe it or not he was throwing that slider over often late in the game and he was able to develop a change during the course of the game
I know earlier this season they were saying he needed to work on his breaking ball if he wanted to succeed at the ML level.
I didnt see the game, listened to some of it on my lunch break but going by what I was listening to his stuff was better tonite then it was against Florida.
We got to have patience with the kids. Lets hope they dont trade him for Livan Hernandez or something.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:44 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
MELKY CABRERA WALK-OFF HOMER IN THE ELEVENTH!!!

oops wrong team...

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 12:20 AM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

I'd love to be wrong.
Who is better in the NL? There are a bunch in the AL, but none in the NL.

NYRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Geogaddi

Love the Mets, but the Cardinals arent to far behind.

Really would love to get one good Pitcher before the Trade Deadline.

Barry Zito is who really intrigues me and always has. Wouldn't mind giving up Heilman for him...but Hell no if it mean Lastings as well.

Anyway we can trade back Viktor Zambrano to the D-Rays for Scott Kazmir??? (I was shocked when we traded him)

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Fireonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Pelfrey's fastball had some insane sink on it last night. If he learns to spot that better hes going to be something special. And yeah he really needs to keep working on that breaking ball. Was getting much better as the game went along but still only got a couple good off-speed pitches over the plate. Most of them were far off the plate and noone was really chasing them.

Fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers View Post
Who is better in the NL? There are a bunch in the AL, but none in the NL.
Playoffs are about pitching, and there are plenty of teams with better rotations than the Mets.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:13 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I am a Die hard Mets fan. But I dont know if this is such a good idea. If this gets going, there will be Yankee trolls with posts of "Jeter pwns Reyes" and "26. Yankees are better because they've won the most championships." For the record, the current year succes/failure has very little dependence of past championships, so shut up Yanks fans.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Levitate

well, Beltran isn't looking like such a bad pickup this year...and hopefully Reyes regains the form he had before his injury. that kid was on a roll.

yeah the pitching is a sore spot though...the bullpen ain't bad, but I guess you hope that Pedro gets back, is healthy, and throwing well...Glavine manages to keep up his stuff, and hernandez and traschel can provide something...

a pickup of another good pitcher would definitely help

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:35 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
For the record, the current year succes/failure has very little dependence of past championships, so shut up Yanks fans.
Why are Mets fans so defensive? Was this comment really necessary? Nary a comment was made about the Mets, and there they are defending current year before any salvo was ever fired. Amazing. How can you have so little confidence in your own team that it is necessary to be so defensive?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Fletch

Tb...

it's Amazin'.

Baseball's tough to watch, unless you're at a bar after midnight and you see a walk-off homerun.

Mets are boring - all they do is win and lead by way too much. Good for Willie.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I would like to point out that there is an entire board devoted to baseball here at HF:

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167

07-19-2006, 08:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Based on what? The only team that I think could give the Mets a run for it in the NL are the Cards.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Based on what? The only team that I think could give the Mets a run for it in the NL are the Cards.
I would have to agree at this point. The only caveat is a healthy Pedro. Without a healthy Pedro, I think that the Mets would have an issue. The only other team in the NL that could give them problems would be Houston, but they need to vault a bunch of teams to get into the wildcard picture.

Old
07-19-2006, 09:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I would have to agree at this point. The only caveat is a healthy Pedro. Without a healthy Pedro, I think that the Mets would have an issue. The only other team in the NL that could give them problems would be Houston, but they need to vault a bunch of teams to get into the wildcard picture.
True enough, TB. That said, the benefit of having a 11.5 game lead midway through July is being able to rest Pedro and get him ready for his starts in September and October. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mets went to a six-man rotation in August.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 09:30 AM
True Blue

I actually would not be surprised if Pedro was on the shelf until August. When all is said and done, it would be a blessing in disguise for the Mets as he would recieve an unexpected 6 week blow. That is what a team with a double digit lead can afford to do.
However, have you noticed the Braves?

Old
07-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Levitate

yes, the braves are why I feel the Mets can't take games for granted and think that they're a shoe-in for the playoffs now.

and resting pedro is definitely a good idea...you just don't want him to get rusty when you do it and then pitch terribly when he comes back. needs to be timed well so he has enough games to get back into the swing of things.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:21 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Why are Mets fans so defensive? Was this comment really necessary? Nary a comment was made about the Mets, and there they are defending current year before any salvo was ever fired. Amazing. How can you have so little confidence in your own team that it is necessary to be so defensive?
Why? Because its happened all our lives. And you cannot honestly tell me most Yankee fans dont behave this way.

The starter of this thread asked if anyone was interested, I replied, I dont think its unnecessary.

I dont see how this shows I have no confidence in my team. I have utmost confidence in my Mets this year. Simply saying I dont want to hear Yankee fans babble on about how the Yankees are better does not mean I'm giving up on them. I dont even see how they're related at all...

Disagree with my opinion all you want, just dont question my passion and confidence in my team.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
Why? Because its happened all our lives. And you cannot honestly tell me most Yankee fans dont behave this way.

The starter of this thread asked if anyone was interested, I replied, I dont think its unnecessary.

I dont see how this shows I have no confidence in my team. I have utmost confidence in my Mets this year. Simply saying I dont want to hear Yankee fans babble on about how the Yankees are better does not mean I'm giving up on them. I dont even see how they're related at all...

Disagree with my opinion all you want, just dont question my passion and confidence in my team.
BC77: "Almost right, except it will be Portugal beating Germany and France beating Italy."

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 10:53 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 View Post
MELKY CABRERA WALK-OFF HOMER IN THE ELEVENTH!!!

oops wrong team...

Only a matter of time til he's traded

Old
07-19-2006, 10:54 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Love the Mets, but the Cardinals arent to far behind.

Really would love to get one good Pitcher before the Trade Deadline.

Barry Zito is who really intrigues me and always has. Wouldn't mind giving up Heilman for him...but Hell no if it mean Lastings as well.

Anyway we can trade back Viktor Zambrano to the D-Rays for Scott Kazmir??? (I was shocked when we traded him)
We can sign Zito in the off-season, no reason to trade for him for one start