HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gleason , Cammy , Brown

Old
07-19-2006, 03:13 PM
riseandfall9

vCash: 500
Gleason , Cammy , Brown

According to XTRA Sports AM570 the Kings are trying to sign Tim Gleason , Micheal Cammaleri , Dustin Brown to 4 year contracts. They are also trying to sign Eric Belanger and Sean Avery to 1 year contracts.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Belanger already signed earlier today. Would be nice to get Gleason, Cammalleri and Brown locked up to 4 year deals though. They are part of the future core of this team.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:26 PM
kingsfan77

that would be nice to lock up those guys for 4 years.

kingsfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Belanger already signed earlier today. Would be nice to get Gleason, Cammalleri and Brown locked up to 4 year deals though. They are part of the future core of this team.
Yeah sorry, I didnt read that until after I posted.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:33 PM
King Blazer

They're already "locked-up" as RFAs. It will likely cost the Kings a bigger CAP hit in the early years...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:51 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
They're already "locked-up" as RFAs. It will likely cost the Kings a bigger CAP hit in the early years...
True.

For now I would just try and sign Cammy to a long term deal.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
And it'll be well worth it I'd venture to say....

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
And it'll be well worth it I'd venture to say....
Yeah. It'd be nice knowing that we had these guys locked up every year for the next four instead of waiting and wondering every off season whether they were going to hold out or go to arbitration. It would also be a welcome change from the way things were once done here; having guys go to arbitration and management hearing them say bad things about them, and that leading to animosity toward that organization.

07-19-2006, 04:24 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
i hope so... the only concern i'd have is that they'd all hit free agency at the same time.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 04:29 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Yeah. It'd be nice knowing that we had these guys locked up every year for the next four instead of waiting and wondering every off season whether they were going to hold out or go to arbitration. It would also be a welcome change from the way things were once done here; having guys go to arbitration and management hearing them say bad things about them, and that leading to animosity toward that organization.
I agree with what you've said here BUT there's also the chance that in the last year or two the players regret having signed for what could be less than market value...

Old
07-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
... BUT there's also the chance that in the last year or two the players regret having signed for what could be less than market value...
oh now why'd you have to go and stir the pot by mentioning Visnovsky that way KingBlazer

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Osprey

Cammalleri might end up a little unexpectedly expensive if it's for 4 years, since he's eligible to be a UFA in 3 years. Of course, it'll be worth it; I'm just throwing it out there to prepare everyone.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Lombardi's problems in SJ were ownership NOT allowing him to re-sign his RFA's to contracts for what they were worth, so he always had to low ball them, piss them off, and/or trade them, eventually getting the axe himself ..... IF the XTRA Sports AM570 report is true at least it appears Lombardi has learned from that and is trying to get things done NOW, which is a good thing ... and may also mean Lieweke IS actually letting Lombardi run the ship and spend the money, which is also a good thing ... I hope it's true, might be a little bit more of a CAP hit than we expected for this year, but we have the room to do it, and like Frolov's and Visnovsky's long term contracts, should these kids continue to progress into solid NHL stars then long term the contracts may end up looking like bargins and we'll have the CAP room in 2 or 3 years right about the time for a string of cup runs .... get it done Dean !

Old
07-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
I agree with what you've said here BUT there's also the chance that in the last year or two the players regret having signed for what could be less than market value...
Could be a problem for sure, but with the UFA age being lower, I don't think players will feel as trapped with their contracts as they once did.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 07:25 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Could be a problem for sure, but with the UFA age being lower, I don't think players will feel as trapped with their contracts as they once did.
Again, another good point...

Old
07-20-2006, 07:27 AM
King Blazer

If they do go long term with these three, I'd guess that each of them will close to a $2M CAP hit this season, maybe even a bit higher...

Old
07-20-2006, 02:44 PM
willie

Quote:
If they do go long term with these three, I'd guess that each of them will close to a $2M CAP hit this season, maybe even a bit higher...
Which is rather irrelevent. This team isn't a contender today, so this is precisely the time for the team to lock these guys up to longer team deals. Yes, their cap hit now will be higher than it otherwise would be. However, and far more importantly, their cap hit will likely be lower in 3/4 years when this team should be a legitimate contender. It's a calculated risk but one the Kings should make.

As for the dollar figures, if we are talking 4 years, I bet Cammalleri would get 10-12 million. And Brown & Gleason around 8-10. So the 2m Cap hit might be a bit on the low side.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 03:46 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
Which is rather irrelevent. This team isn't a contender today, so this is precisely the time for the team to lock these guys up to longer team deals. Yes, their cap hit now will be higher than it otherwise would be. However, and far more importantly, their cap hit will likely be lower in 3/4 years when this team should be a legitimate contender. It's a calculated risk but one the Kings should make.

As for the dollar figures, if we are talking 4 years, I bet Cammalleri would get 10-12 million. And Brown & Gleason around 8-10. So the 2m Cap hit might be a bit on the low side.
Do they have the room to add let's say $7-8 million this season? It could become rather relevant...

Old
07-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

via the salary chart we're trying to keep up on LGK the Kings had about $5 mil additional to the min QO's to add to the payroll, you figure each was gonna get at or just over a Mil via their min QO's, now add an extra Mil or more so per player (assume Cammy will get slightly more), so if they sign the kids to big money deals that'll about max out the cap for this year, or put it real tight.

Last edited by Puck U: 07-20-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old
07-20-2006, 05:30 PM
willie

Quote:
Do they have the room to add let's say $7-8 million this season? It could become rather relevant...
That's for DL and his accountants to concern themselves with. I'm fairly certain they can fit into the cap, there just wont be much room left elsewhere.

And that is what I'm referring to with respect to 'irrelevence'. Some overly optimistic individuals (not referring to you necessarily) would blast management for overpaying these guys "now" in a misguided belief that we are 1 or 2 pieces away from being a legit team. (while ignoring the potentially huge benefit of having these guys signed to relatively cheaper deals in the future, when the Kings are more ready to contend)

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 06:31 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
That's for DL and his accountants to concern themselves with. I'm fairly certain they can fit into the cap, there just wont be much room left elsewhere.
When I looked at the NHLPA site I think they were at about $34M in salary for this season not including Thornton's $1.5M. I think Frolov's CAP # is a quite a bit higer ($0.9M) than this years salary, LaBarbera's is a bit lower ($50k), and so on. Adding $8-million could be tight...

Quote:
And that is what I'm referring to with respect to 'irrelevence'. Some overly optimistic individuals (not referring to you necessarily) would blast management for overpaying these guys "now" in a misguided belief that we are 1 or 2 pieces away from being a legit team. (while ignoring the potentially huge benefit of having these guys signed to relatively cheaper deals in the future, when the Kings are more ready to contend)
I pretty much agree, so long as the CAP doesn't do a downward thing over the next couple of seasons...

Edit: I was looking at Michigan Wolverine's CAP numbers on LGK and it looks as though the Kings are at about $37M not including Avery, Cammalleri, Brown and Gleason.

Last edited by King Blazer: 07-20-2006 at 09:19 PM.