HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey News Ratings

Old
08-02-2006, 08:33 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Hockey News Ratings

HN gave only TWO teams an A for the offseason.

NY Rangers in the East

Ducks in the West

kind of refreshing

08-02-2006, 09:59 AM
TheRedressor

yeah its better than the consistant c+ that we are accomstemd to getting.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Always nice to see the media apreciating what the Rangers organization has done, rather than bash it like in years past. Although in years past they where dead on.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
NYR6894

Sweet!

Good to see that Sather and Co. are getting some recongition after usually being at the head of criticism from the media. All the moves they've made have been smart and good ones. Hall a good PKer, 3rd/4th liner. Cullen an up-and-coming forward. We know what Shannie can do. Finally...Ward is a solid D-man. What more could've we asked for out of this off-season. Personally, I'm 100% pleased.

Plus, we've gained a lot more then we've lost. We lost a good face-off man in Rucchin but have gained one in Cullen (who has more scoring potential then Rucchin). We lost Moore but gained a similar player (who put up more points last year) in Hall. We've lost Marty Ruchinsky but have gained a lot more skilled forward in Shannie.

All in all, I can't wait for opening night.

NYR6894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
shoothepuck

Sometimes management gets it right, and while it's sad that it took so long, things are getting better for NY

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 06:21 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6894 View Post
All in all, I can't wait for opening night.
Neither can I, because I'll be there.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:39 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
You must have misread the article. Because if there's one team in the Eastern Conference that deserves an A for its offseason moves, it's the New York Islanders, not Rangers. Learn to read.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 07:57 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Sometimes management gets it right, and while it's sad that it took so long, things are getting better for NY
IMO we can thank Bettman and the salary cap for that. If the Dolans weren't controlled in their off-season spending, would they be controlling themselves?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2006, 09:49 PM
funky

great additions, great prospect base. Future looks bright as long as we can replace Jagr in a few years.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Fish

It seems to me that often times these ratings are influenced significantly by what the team has done the previous season. For example, rating a team's prospects tends to be higher for teams that have had some successful picks in the past, regardless of whether their current prospects are really that good...the opposite is also true.

I think the Rangers success last year, and the comparison to what they've done in the past has been taken into account here and I'd consider this a comparative rating to what they've done before, moreso than comparisons with other clubs.

I'm relatively pleased with the way they have approached things, but I don't know that I'd give them an A because they overpaid for Cullen, they've brought in another 2nd/3rd tier type player in Ward and are adding a fairly old forward in Shanahan. In the grander context, the Ward and Shanahan moves are relatively low risk in the context of commitments, whereas the Cullen move is a bit more of a reach (confirmed I believe by Maloney himself).

They kept the team together for the most part, which I actually think will help them, especially when you consider how much turnover they've had in the last 10-12 years, though they actually got rid of three of their four longest tenured players in Rucinsky, Poti and Purinton.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Fletch

If the Rangers didn't surprised everybody...

by making the playoffs last season, the rating would've been a 'C' and we would've heard more about bringing in some older people (Ward and Shanahan) and adding a guy with a career year for four seasons instead of getting a good rating. I used to think TSN was the greatest source of hockey info, but as the years have gone on, I decided not to re-up my subscription because their analyses always seemed a bit weak.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 09:51 AM
TheRedressor

maybe you got a point, sometimes I feel like they pull their ratings out of nowhere.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote