HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dominic Moore traded for Adam Hall

Old
07-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Entrancemperium

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
This trade has very little sense for Preds. NYR defenseman (Richter, Pock?) to Nashville is missing here. It might be coming later.
I liked Dom Moore. Good legs, hands and head. Soft like European, though.
Well, I have to admit, there is nothing wrong with this trade at all. Shanahan got his RW, I guess.

Prucha-Nylander-Jarg
Shanahan-Straka-Hall
Rucinski/Hossa-Gullen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

Immonen
I like your lineup but Rucinsky won't be back, perhaps Hollweg on the third line? I want Straka at center aswell but I doubt it will happen

Entrancemperium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
I love the trade. Frankly I'm shocked that Moore was able to get so much (or that Hall was able to get so little). I went on the Preds board about a week ago when I found out that it looked like Hall was being shopped around. Frankly, they weren't real high on him. They said he didn't play physical like they expected. They really thought that the emergence of some kids gave them a surplus of forwards and that Hall wasn't as physical as advertised, so he was very expendable.

I'm not trying to talk Hall down, but frankly the Preds fans were eager to be rid of him and weren't expecting much return. They were talking about possibly getting a late 2nd round pick for him. Personally, I thought that was pretty pessimistic considering he was a power forward type who consistently put up 15 goals and was just hitting that "sweet spot" age where power forwards tend to just start hitting their peak years. I thought he was worth at least a high second rounder, possibly more. I never would have thought that they would basically trade Hall-PLUS to get a 3rd round pick.

I also would have thought they'd use him to acquire a defenseman. The Preds have a talented, but VERY young defense corp right now. I'm very surprised that they didn't use Hall to acquire some veteran leadership from the blue line.

Potted Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:32 AM
mattihp

vCash: 256
What a bargain

Hall can play all three forward positions.. Has one of the biggest slappers in the league and is a welcome addition to any teams PP and PK.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:37 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
What a bargain

Hall can play all three forward positions.. Has one of the biggest slappers in the league and is a welcome addition to any teams PP and PK.
and can stand in front of the net on the pp, and plays a solid physical game. Sticks up for teammates. I hope we get one more gritty forward, maybe Rozsival and Hossa for Matt Cooke.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Potted Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole View Post
you're kidding right? ... we're overstocked on young forward in Hartnell, Upshall & Radulov and to a lesser extent Tootoo ... so it makes absolute sense to move Hall & Walker
My problem with this trade from the Predators' perspective is that, while you may have forwards to spare, you ended up virtually giving away what seemed to be a rather valuable asset. From the Preds' point of view, this is Hall + Pivko for an early-mid third round pick. You didn't address your primary need on the ice, which is for a steady veteran defenseman, and you didn't really get much value for Hall. I know that people here on Hockey's Future really value draft picks, but a 3rd round pick has very little value in the grand scheme of things. I'm quite surprised you couldn't do better than that for a mid-20s power forward type who may have the ability to step up his game into that of a 20-25 goal scorer.

Old
07-20-2006, 09:39 AM
NJRanger

will Hall be an RFA after this season? Maybe that's one of the reason they traded him

NJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie View Post
My problem with this trade from the Predators' perspective is that, while you may have forwards to spare, you ended up virtually giving away what seemed to be a rather valuable asset. From the Preds' point of view, this is Hall + Pivko for an early-mid third round pick. You didn't address your primary need on the ice, which is for a steady veteran defenseman, and you didn't really get much value for Hall. I know that people here on Hockey's Future really value draft picks, but a 3rd round pick has very little value in the grand scheme of things. I'm quite surprised you couldn't do better than that for a mid-20s power forward type who may have the ability to step up his game into that of a 20-25 goal scorer.
we got value for Hall ... we drafted him in the LATE 2nd round ... and the stats he put up 80 something points in 3 seasons ... and why even bother getting a defenseman, when we're going to play the kids on the back end when they showed they belonged last year ... and we have our veteran defenseman in Kimmo Timonen ... which he may be gone this year in favor of Dan Hamhuis ... don't worry about us, please

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:47 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
we got value for Hall ... we drafted him in the LATE 2nd round ... and the stats he put up 80 something points in 3 seasons ... and why even bother getting a defenseman, when we're going to play the kids on the back end when they showed they belonged last year ... and we have our veteran defenseman in Kimmo Timonen ... which he may be gone this year in favor of Dan Hamhuis ... don't worry about us, please
Every team at least needs 3 veteran d. Preds can use one more, maybe they will sign markov

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:57 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCrunk View Post
Great asset management by the Rangers. To flip Moore into Hall is something that I didn't think was possible, so that indicates that Nashville really didn't want Hall. Why, I don't know.

Good job.
Ray Shere (Pens GM) also didn't want Hall or he would have traded for Hall straight up but intsead wanted Moore. Funny thing is Shero has watched Hall his entire career here in Nashville.

Hall just didn't fit with this team anymore. He's extremely slow and very passive. He is not physical but is tough to move from the front of the net. He is not even close to being a "powerforward". He's about as physical as Legwand.....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I dont know about you guys but October cant come soon enough. Managment is sticking to what they said about building a core group of guys and building around them. They have made some good moves this off season to provide forsize,grit,and leadership. In doing so they have also created a roster in which players can be shuffled to fill voids left by injury(god forbid),poor chemistry, or overall lazyness. I've given Sather a fair share of crap for what I percieved as mis-managment, but to this point he seems to be on the money with all the trades/aquisitions thus far. Granted nothing is gaurenteed, and for all we know all these guys could become total failures but I highly doubt it. I dont know about this Hall guy but from what most of you guys and from what little I have read about him on the preds boards, it looks like he was mis-used and could be a potent 3rd liner. If he can put up 20 goals this season I would be happy. It seems like the puzzle is comming together, although I dont think we are a cup finalist team YET (cant tell without seeing a game lol) but on paper I feel as though we have the coaching and the roster to go deep into the playoffs. One step at a time is the name of the game and I think they are pulling it off thus far.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Potted Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Ray Shere (Pens GM) also didn't want Hall or he would have traded for Hall straight up but intsead wanted Moore. Funny thing is Shero has watched Hall his entire career here in Nashville.

Hall just didn't fit with this team anymore. He's extremely slow and very passive. He is not physical but is tough to move from the front of the net. He is not even close to being a "powerforward". He's about as physical as Legwand.....
I can see why the Pens wanted Moore over Hall if the two players are really of equal value. Moore is a very solid defensive forward and a top-notch PKer. The Pens had no end of trouble keeping the puck out of their net. Adding Moore to the team is a step in the right direction for the Pens as far as correcting their most serious flaw. He won't solve their problems on his own by any means, but he should fit in well.

Add in the possibility that Moore has the potential to add an offensive dimension to his game, and I can see why he has value. I just think that Hall, by all rights, should probably have had more value than that. I bolded that passage in your post because I think it highlights, perhaps, why I think he should be more valuable, at least to us. Last year, we really did not have that plant-yourself-in-front-of-the-net player. We added Shanny, but at his age I can't see him doing that anymore. Hall adds that dimension to the Rangers' power play.

I don't know anything about Pivko, except that he has not yet played at the NHL level in any meaningful way, but put up a point-per-game at the AHL level last year.

Old
07-20-2006, 10:27 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie View Post
I can see why the Pens wanted Moore over Hall if the two players are really of equal value. Moore is a very solid defensive forward and a top-notch PKer. The Pens had no end of trouble keeping the puck out of their net. Adding Moore to the team is a step in the right direction for the Pens as far as correcting their most serious flaw. He won't solve their problems on his own by any means, but he should fit in well.

Add in the possibility that Moore has the potential to add an offensive dimension to his game, and I can see why he has value. I just think that Hall, by all rights, should probably have had more value than that. I bolded that passage in your post because I think it highlights, perhaps, why I think he should be more valuable, at least to us. Last year, we really did not have that plant-yourself-in-front-of-the-net player. We added Shanny, but at his age I can't see him doing that anymore. Hall adds that dimension to the Rangers' power play.

I don't know anything about Pivko, except that he has not yet played at the NHL level in any meaningful way, but put up a point-per-game at the AHL level last year.
See we have a few guys now like Arnott and Hartnell that can do this that fit our team better than Hall.

I was a really big Hall fan until last season when it became obvious he no longer really fit with the direction the team was taking. I had orginally thought he would be a player much like Hartnell, it just didn't pan out that way.

Pivko was just too far down the depth chart and likely would have never made the Predators ahead of guys like Upshall, Tootoo, Hartnell, Radulov, Erat, Kariya or Sullivan.

I did think we'd get a higher pick for him though, but most of us thought a pick is all we'd get for him.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Davisian

Trade seems to have worked out for both teams in what they're trying to do.. Actualy, all three teams..

Shocking in its simplicity..

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:36 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Love this trade, Hall is a HUGE upgrade over Moore, who at best could put up 20 something points with increased ice time. Moore's offensive potential has peaked, and he's not a shutdown player, nor is he effective at his natural position, center.

People think that the lines are going to be adversly affected, look at it though

Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Straka-Hall
Cullen-Immonen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

Straka plays more of a game that would be complimentary to Shanahan and Hall, and Prucha's game fits with Nylander and Jagr. This would keep Immonen on the 3rd line to replace Rucchin, and then since Cullen's versatile, he can move over to left or right wing, and Ward would be the other 3rd line winger. Betts replaces Moore on the 4th line with Hollweg and Ortmeyer.

Everything works out well, provided someone like Dawes or Dubinsky comes up and has an exceptional training camp and pushes one of the 4th liners out of their spots.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:43 AM
94now

Quote:
you're kidding right? ... we're overstocked on young forward in Hartnell, Upshall & Radulov and to a lesser extent Tootoo ... so it makes absolute sense to move Hall & Walker
"To move" and "to give away" are not the same things. I understand Hall's salary arbitration is looming, but to just give the player away is not the deed to be proud of. Unless, as I sad, something else didn't work out very last moment or new trade is in works.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Potted Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
People think that the lines are going to be adversly affected, look at it though

Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Straka-Hall
Cullen-Immonen-Ward
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer
Here's how I see it:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-Immonen-Prucha
Dawes-Cullen-Hall
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer/Ward

Ward could also center that 4th line or play in some other position, or even beat out Hall for the 3rd line spot or Ortmeyer for the 4th line spot. But then again, I agree with the sentiment that says we're probably not done trading. It really wouldn't surprise me to see Nylander moved and Straka moved into the center or some other such move. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Ward moved, or even Prucha in a package to get something really fantastic.

Old
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Fletch

Hall is this year's Ward...

and hopefully the results will be similar. If he's not playing physical, hard hockey, chances are he won't be high on the depth chart and all that was given up was a guy the organization knew with a high degree of confidence wouldn't be on the team (and look what Moore + a prospect returned, a third rounder, so there weren't many options to get value for Moore). Hall does come with risks, as he did score only four even strength goals and had a ton of ice time. But, again, they gave up a guy they had a strong feeling wasn't going to be on the team in October, so taking a shot is well worth it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I fess up to the David Inman thing. I stood up for him and even wrote an article about him a number of years back here.

Ugh, hated that pick.

Let me guess, you liked Pat Auferio also

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 12:10 PM
IanB

If thats true about Hall playing all Forward positions, our lineup, which was already pretty versatile, is even more so now:

Straka - LW/C/RW
Prucha - LW/RW
Shanahan - LW/RW
Cullen - LW/C
Hall - LW/C/RW
Ward - LW/RW

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 12:25 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

As I speculated in another thread, Moore is a modest asset who would either stay and fill fourth line center role or be traded for a like calibre player. Occasionally lightning strikes and you can always have that hope but lightning could just as easily strike with Marcel Hossa. One modest asset for another. Nothing to get worked up about.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 12:25 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRanger View Post
will Hall be an RFA after this season? Maybe that's one of the reason they traded him
Hall filed for salary arbitration.His hearing is 8/2

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 12:59 PM
polako

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashednoodle View Post
Here's a quick look at Adam Hall's goal totals vs those of Mike Knuble & John LeClair in their first 3 seasons in the NHL. I think Hall's style & ability is more like Knuble's but if I'm going to dream I might as well dream big...

GP G
Hall 233 43
Knuble 290 41
LeClair 205 46
Hossa 123 20

Again, i don't see what the big fuss over Adam Hall is...I just hope he performs well.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Potted Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
Hossa 123 20

Again, i don't see what the big fuss over Adam Hall is...I just hope he performs well.
So Hossa has half as money goals, and hasn't been able to get into the lineup as much as those other guys?

Really the fuss over Hall is two-fold:

1) Not a lot of other news lately, so there isn't much to talk about
2) The talk that he, while not exactly a world beater, is really a much better asset than Moore, so it was a good trade.

Old
07-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Fletch

There is fuss...

but the bottom line is that Sather may've acquired a useful asset for a player that likely didn't have a position on the team this coming season, and may not be in the future plans, and who otherwise would've returned very little (he plus a prospect = a third). If Hall doesn't work out, he doesn't get used and nothing's lost. But there's the possibility that he becomes a power forward at some point. Good for everybody.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 02:26 PM
polako

Fletch,

That's a pretty good perspective on it.

But still, I rarely like it when smart players are traded for guys with potential. To use a cliche, Dom Moore "knew how to play the game." The times he won a faceoff forward to kill time or get a change are evidence of this. Plus, he's capable of more offense than he showed last year, on the fourth line. I don't think the 5 goal difference he had with Moore is that much of a deal, considering he was on the ice in PP situations and with more offensively capable teammates.

It's a minor deal, I just don't expect to reap huge rewards from it.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote