HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Darren Dreger joins leaves Sportsnet,joins TSN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2006, 01:52 PM
  #1
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,574
vCash: 500
Darren Dreger joins leaves Sportsnet,joins TSN

Quote:
TSN today announced the addition of Darren Dreger as the network's Hockey Insider alongside Bob McKenzie, complementing an already stellar NHL broadcast team. Dreger, a 19-year veteran sportscaster, begins July 31. He is the latest addition to the TSN family, following recent announcements of new hires Brian Williams and James Cybulski.
http://www.tsn.ca/headlines/main_story.asp?id=171284

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
  #2
Marco Corleone
Registered User
 
Marco Corleone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 618
vCash: 500
Darren Dreger and Nick Kypreos didn't see eye to eye IMO.

On more then a couple occassions, Kipper was yapping like usual, and the split screen showed Dreger looking like he's thinking, "*** and who the ******** is this guy"......

Marco Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:16 PM
  #3
Trizent
Registered User
 
Trizent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oil Country
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
Major changes going on at SportsNet. Dreger not the only one gone.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:17 PM
  #4
jamiebez
Registered User
 
jamiebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 500
So, in the last few weeks, TSN has hired James Cybulski from The Score, Brian Williams from CBC and now Darren Dreger from Sportsnet.

Who's next?

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:29 PM
  #5
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
So, in the last few weeks, TSN has hired James Cybulski from The Score, Brian Williams from CBC and now Darren Dreger from Sportsnet.

Who's next?
When does CBC's contract with the NHL expire? If TSN is trying to expand their hockey expertise, is this the start of the rumoured joint CTV/TSN bid to steal away HNIC?

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:37 PM
  #6
Jori
Registered User
 
Jori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 20,186
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Major changes going on at SportsNet. Dreger not the only one gone.
Sportsnet just needs to get rid of that old fart Watters and that would be a drastic improvement.

__________________
Colorado Avalanche Prospects-- News and updates on the future of the Colorado Avalanche!
Colorado's Future -- Team * Manning * Landeskog * Tulowitzki
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:46 PM
  #7
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Major changes going on at SportsNet. Dreger not the only one gone.
According to the Toronto Star,MSG Network has approached Nick Kypreos about replacing John Davidson in the Rangers TV booth with Sam Rosen

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 02:49 PM
  #8
PapaBear*
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfan View Post
Darren Dreger and Nick Kypreos didn't see eye to eye IMO.

.
Really? I thought that was just an act.

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:21 PM
  #9
hockey_nut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
gonna be itneresting to see what happens with Sportsnet come the fall..

dreger's out... kypreos is leaving (according to reports)... and nobody likes watters anyway.

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 10:31 PM
  #10
GSC2k2*
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
So, in the last few weeks, TSN has hired James Cybulski from The Score, Brian Williams from CBC and now Darren Dreger from Sportsnet.

Who's next?
I heard that TSN is going to hire Wetcoaster, Hockeytown, and Blamebettman so they can have a nightly roundtable *****ing about how the players are getting screwed and Gary Bettman is the Dark Lord himself who has arisen from the depths of the fiery pits to wreak havoc, slay hockey players and their families by the thousands via a pitchfork up their hind quarters and generally cause mayhem and destruction, thus bringing on the End of Days of Man.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 01:09 AM
  #11
OlliMackBjugStud
Registered User
 
OlliMackBjugStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002 View Post
I heard that TSN is going to hire Wetcoaster, Hockeytown, and Blamebettman so they can have a nightly roundtable *****ing about how the players are getting screwed and Gary Bettman is the Dark Lord himself who has arisen from the depths of the fiery pits to wreak havoc, slay hockey players and their families by the thousands via a pitchfork up their hind quarters and generally cause mayhem and destruction, thus bringing on the End of Days of Man.
dang, i dont rate!

i must be too moderate lol

OlliMackBjugStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 03:22 PM
  #12
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarpenter2002 View Post
I heard that TSN is going to hire Wetcoaster, Hockeytown, and Blamebettman so they can have a nightly roundtable *****ing about how the players are getting screwed and Gary Bettman is the Dark Lord himself who has arisen from the depths of the fiery pits to wreak havoc, slay hockey players and their families by the thousands via a pitchfork up their hind quarters and generally cause mayhem and destruction, thus bringing on the End of Days of Man.
As opposed to buying into the NHL propaganda of doom and gloom fronted by Bettman and using the Levitt work of fiction????

The NHLPA said give us access to the real NHL team books with independent audit capability and an enforceable definition of HRR (as they got under the new CBA).

Guess what - revenues ended up near what the NHLPA (and Forbes Magazine) had set out and up goes the salary cap even where the league had lost a national TV contract. Odd how that worked out.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 09:35 PM
  #13
GSC2k2*
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
As opposed to buying into the NHL propaganda of doom and gloom fronted by Bettman and using the Levitt work of fiction????

The NHLPA said give us access to the real NHL team books with independent audit capability and an enforceable definition of HRR (as they got under the new CBA).

Guess what - revenues ended up near what the NHLPA (and Forbes Magazine) had set out and up goes the salary cap even where the league had lost a national TV contract. Odd how that worked out.



Oh my. You have exceeded my wildest expectations, Wetty. I can barely type, much less publish a detailed rebuttal.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 02:01 AM
  #14
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
When does CBC's contract with the NHL expire? If TSN is trying to expand their hockey expertise, is this the start of the rumoured joint CTV/TSN bid to steal away HNIC?
In 2007. I think TSN will push for and get Hockey Night in Canada.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2006, 07:23 AM
  #15
Trizent
Registered User
 
Trizent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oil Country
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
TSN and CBC signed 5 year deals with the NHL. I also believe that with the lockout one year rolled over so the current deals end afte the 07-08 season.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:07 PM
  #16
Chileiceman
Registered User
 
Chileiceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Chile
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule View Post
In 2007. I think TSN will push for and get Hockey Night in Canada.
If CTV-TSN steal the NHL from CBC thats not going to be good for people with no cable come playoff time because CTV isnt going to replace their big name american TV series with hockey, so they would put most of the games on TSN. I dont know about the finals though.

But at least everyone who has cable has TSN, unlike it is in the States with OLN.
I was in Wyoming during June and the place I was staying at didnt have OLN. Then I stayed at 4 different hotels in different towns and not a single one of them carried it either. Thats ridiculous. Who signs a deal with a channel that a lot of cable providers have only on digital cable? The NHL of course.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
  #17
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,939
vCash: 500
Is there a shortage of qualified sports reporters in the country right now? It seems like TSN is snapping up everyone they can while The Score and Sportnet are doing nothing but going downhill.

Sportsnet especially is falling off. Outside of Martine Gaillard, Sean McCormick, and Don Taylor, I'm not big on any of their regulars. Rob Faulds, Peter Loubardias, and Jim Lang especially drive me nuts. Mike Toth used to be good, but every night with Martine it's getting annoying watching him try using lame jokes for every highlight like some nerd trying way too hard to flirt with the girl. Jim Van Horne seems to barely work at all these days too.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:01 PM
  #18
Saint Teemu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Is there a shortage of qualified sports reporters in the country right now? It seems like TSN is snapping up everyone they can while The Score and Sportnet are doing nothing but going downhill.
I was wondering the same thing myself. It really seems that the other networks have become the de facto minor leagues and that TSN is 'the show'. I think the poaching began with TSN picking up the 'disgraced' Dave Hodge from CBC. Last year, TSN scooped Chris Cuthbert when CBC fired him, and now TSN's picking up guys from The Score and Sportsnet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Sportsnet especially is falling off. Outside of Martine Gaillard, Sean McCormick, and Don Taylor, I'm not big on any of their regulars.
Don Taylor drives me retarded with his schtick. Whenever he gets 'animated' and starts his babbling "nyahhhg" bit (usually to indicate someone's dropped the ball or muffed a play), I just turn him off. And referring to every other athlete as "The Last Name-ian One" is tiresome.

Does Dreger's hiring mean that James Duthie is out?

And can anyone tell me where relatively recent additions to TSN Holly Horton and Brian Mudryk came from? They're ok I guess, but together on SportsCentre, they're pretty dull.

Saint Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 05:47 PM
  #19
jamiebez
Registered User
 
jamiebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Teemu View Post
And can anyone tell me where relatively recent additions to TSN Holly Horton and Brian Mudryk came from? They're ok I guess, but together on SportsCentre, they're pretty dull.
IIRC, Holly Horton was originally supposed to be the "NHL on TSN" host when they first picked up the Tuesday night weekly games, but she backed out at the last second (my memory's pretty fuzzy on the details) and they promoted Duthie to the job instead.

She stayed with the network, but it on the "third string" doing the all-nighter SportsCenter, local reports, etc

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:03 PM
  #20
MentalPowerHouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Does this make Mith Toth Sportnets new hockey expert?

MentalPowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 06:35 PM
  #21
Saint Teemu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
IIRC, Holly Horton was originally supposed to be the "NHL on TSN" host when they first picked up the Tuesday night weekly games, but she backed out at the last second (my memory's pretty fuzzy on the details) and they promoted Duthie to the job instead.
I had heard it was Jennifer Hedger who backed out on this one.

Saint Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 07:57 AM
  #22
jamiebez
Registered User
 
jamiebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Teemu View Post
I had heard it was Jennifer Hedger who backed out on this one.
You might be right.... it was quite a while ago & I don't recall for sure who it was.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 08:31 AM
  #23
Le Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Le Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Teemu View Post
I had heard it was Jennifer Hedger who backed out on this one.
Wrong on both counts. The answer is Linda Freeman, who is long gone, I believe. I saw her on Weather Network a couple of years ago...

Le Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
  #24
Boston
Captain Chara
 
Boston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,221
vCash: 500
I hate James Cybulski. I dont know why..there is just something about him.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.