HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comparing Belanger to other similiar players

Old
07-20-2006, 02:17 PM
wabwat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post

concur!

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:21 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
I have always liked Belanger. A lot of Kings fans turned on him after reading those comments he made to that Montreal radio station about Frolov.
I missed the comments. Could you please give me a short recap? Thanks!

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:24 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
He has an average skill set. He has repeatedly proved he is not second line acceptable. He had less points in more games last season than Armstrong. He's streaky. He is not our best penalty killing center. His getting burned by guys getting behind him on the PK was attrocious. He's fast. He's got a small upper body and can not be counted on to muscle up on anyone. He probably deserves the 1.3 mil but if anyone can see a way to get something decent for him I'd be onboard. I'm not turned on by his play, or turned off, a true tweener for me.
Armstrong saw alot more ice time on the PP than EB, did he not? Plus IMO he often played with more skilled linemates.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:32 PM
guzmania

Because Army drew the long straw? I don't think so. It's because Belanger doesn't get it done. It was not an arbitrary decision.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
Because Army drew the long straw? I don't think so. It's because Belanger doesn't get it done. It was not an arbitrary decision.
Exactly. Army might have less skill than Belanger but at least he busts his *** constantly. Belanger is a classic floater.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:09 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I missed the comments. Could you please give me a short recap? Thanks!
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=belanger
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=belanger

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Lumos

i wonder if there is going to be anything going on between Frolov and Belanger, since what Belanger said about Fro.

Lumos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visnovsky17 View Post
i wonder if there is going to be anything going on between Frolov and Belanger, since what Belanger said about Fro.
I don't think I could imagine Frolov getting angry if I tried.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Lumos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I don't think I could imagine Frolov getting angry if I tried.

the worst they could do is stare at each other

Lumos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Johnny Utah

Yanick Perrault has the skating ability of an ECHL hockey or UHL player. Belanger, on the other hand flies in the new NHL. The are similar in that they are streaky scorers who are good face off men, but that's it.

Still dont know why the Kings sign McCauley when they have Belanger...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:03 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Yanick Perrault has the skating ability of an ECHL hockey or UHL player. Belanger, on the other hand flies in the new NHL. The are similar in that they are streaky scorers who are good face off men, but that's it.

sorry Johhny, but Yanic Perreault, for ALL the s*** he takes on BOTH boards, is a much better hockey player than Eric Belanger.

Old
07-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Mxpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Wow great! So Belanger played a lot on a PK that was dead last in the league. What does that tell you?

Do you remember when Perrault was a fixture on our PK? Just because a player gets PK time doesn't me that he's great defensively.

Most of the season, it looked as though Belanger was more concerned in recieving a breakout pass to try for a shortie than he was to cover his man/zone. Now, I don't know if that was what the coach's told him to do or not, but I'd figure no- especially since as the season wore on, we saw and almost utter disregard to any defensive play whatsoever, and full concentration on trying to score. Hmm contract year maybe?

Edit: Oh, and as far as the Belanger hate goes, I never really had a problem with him until he started running his mouth about people "quitting". He was one of the biggest culprits as far as both getting Murray fired, and giving up- So don't give me this song and dance about "people quitting" Eric. Look in the damn mirror before you critisize your teammates.
Well said!

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Glockaxis

Never cared for Belanger. That price tag of 1.3 million is disgraceful for a player of his limited calibur especially in this new era of salary caps. At this point I'd be happy w/ DL trading him for an 8th round pick. Well, w/ 1.3 million he can now buy more Louis Vutton and Guicci man bags to hold his European tailor-made suits as he sips his freshly brewed Starbuck's morning kicker.

Glockaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
sorry Johhny, but Yanic Perreault, for ALL the s*** he takes on BOTH boards, is a much better hockey player than Eric Belanger.
Absolutely correct. Call me when Belanger scores 25 goals and becomes a premier faceoff man.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockaxis View Post
Never cared for Belanger. That price tag of 1.3 million is disgraceful for a player of his limited calibur especially in this new era of salary caps. At this point I'd be happy w/ DL trading him for an 8th round pick. Well, w/ 1.3 million he can now buy more Louis Vutton and Guicci man bags to hold his European tailor-made suits as he sips his freshly brewed Starbuck's morning kicker.
You do know that the draft only goes up to 7 rounds right?.....or are you basically saying for future considerations?

I think though with some of the contracts that have been signed this Summer that $1.3 million is about right for Belanger......and if Lombardi wants to deal him (which I think he does) that there will be a few teams that are willing to give up as high as a 3rd round pick for him.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 11:36 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCrunk View Post
Absolutely correct. Call me when Belanger scores 25 goals and becomes a premier faceoff man.

*ahem* BEST face-off man in the NHL.

Old
07-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

All of these hockey "experts" bashing Belanger are going to eat their words. Look at Andy McDonald's numbers before being put on the top line centering Teemu Selanne, http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=26682

Oh and he just happens to be a couple of months older than Belanger. But I'm sure all of you experts saw Andy McDonald cracking 80+ points before the season started.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
All of these hockey "experts" bashing Belanger are going to eat their words. Look at Andy McDonald's numbers before being put on the top line centering Teemu Selanne, http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=26682

Oh and he just happens to be a couple of months older than Belanger. But I'm sure all of you experts saw Andy McDonald cracking 80+ points before the season started.

And how do they compare exactly?

07-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Reaper45

Quote:

No one saw that. Did anyone see Selanne breaking out like he did? No. Did anyone see McDonald staying healthy all year? No. But do you forsee Belanger being put on the top line with Frolov and Cammalleri? I don't. Do you see him staying healthy all year? I sure as **** don't.

Never in out lives will Belanger score 80+ points in the NHL.

Old
07-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

Because McCauley is a very good two way center and a great leader and Belanger isnt?

Old
07-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Both started off their careers as third line centers. Both could skate well. Both have accurate shots. I was impressed with McDonald even when he wasn't producing much back in 03-04. Belanger has been used like a plugger. His regular linemate since he's been in the NHL had always been Ian Laperriere.

Other than Lappy, he's been used with the likes of Marko Tuomainen or Brad Chartrand. During Stumpel's brief holdout, Belanger was inserted on the top line and was actually productive in that role (of course nobody remembers that).

Last season, before the lockout, the Kings used Belanger with Frolov and Klatt and they were one of the better lines that season, until injuries decimated the Kings. Cammalleri was set to play with Armstrong and Luc but he got hurt and sent down, so then Klatt was moved to play with Army and Luc.

The Kings acquired Straka and then Palffy got hurt, so Frolov was moved to the top line with Stumpel and Straka. Belanger was playing with Laperriere again and Eloranta. Belanger has always been used as a utility player, and even in that type of role he's been productive.

There is a reason Lombardi gave Belanger a $600K raise. The hockey people apparently see something in Belanger that some random people on a hockey message board don't...

Old
07-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
No one saw that. Did anyone see Selanne breaking out like he did? No. Did anyone see McDonald staying healthy all year? No. But do you forsee Belanger being put on the top line with Frolov and Cammalleri? I don't. Do you see him staying healthy all year? I sure as **** don't.

Never in out lives will Belanger score 80+ points in the NHL.
So how can you deduce how many games a player will appear in? I'm actually shocked how many people thought Selanne would be washed up and play poorly.

I guess one bad season means more than 10+ excellent seasons. One off-season is enough to write off a player. And I'm not expecting Belanger to score 80+ points, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him score 45-50+ points. He's better than what many Kings fans think of him. I try not to be persuaded by public opinion. Public opinion here would have had Cammalleri (and a pick) traded.

There is a lot of impatience from people here. One bad season and a players career is over. One off-year from a young prospect, and he's destined to be nothing more than a scrub. People turn their backs a bit quickly and there is a lot of irrationality on hockey forums. I think that type of thought and behavior has spread, which leads to the popular opinion of seeing players like Cammalleri or Frolov or Brown or Belanger moved.

It's funny to me that many ask for a youth movement, but when a big name is available, they throw away all of the top prospects into a trade proposal stew. Then return to these boards and continue to talk about the future of the team.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 07-21-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old
07-21-2006, 12:58 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

There's nothing more entertaining than watching Ziggy clean up a thread

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

See there's a big difference between the two. Belanger has been given opportunity after opportunity to take up the reigns and become the player that you *think* he's going to be, but time and time again, he's shown that he's not up to the taske. McDonald on the other had steadily improved his game when healthy, and with a full healthy season he showed what kind of player he could be.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:13 AM
Osprey

Quote:

You didn't see McDonald doing that either, so why are so sure that Belanger will do it?

There's certainly the potential of Belanger having a magnificent breakout year, but do you really see it? By saying that we are going to eat our words, it sounds like you do see it as an inevitability, as if nothing could prevent it. I don't think that even you believe that.

The way that I see it, the difference is largely that McDonald always under-achieved while it could be argued that Belanger has always over-achieved. Prior to last season, I was waiting for McDonald to show more of what made him a stud in college. I don't think that any of us were as shocked with McDonald hitting 80pts as we would be if Belanger were to hit that.

Another difference is that McDonald didn't have much opportunity until the centers above him, Fedorov and Rucchin, were removed. Belanger, on the other hand, has had quite the opportunities in the past few seasons, what with the injury curse and everything. You say that he's a great utility player. That's still all that he is because, though he's done "well" with his opportunities, it's never been good enough to warrant a promotion. It's like a temp worker who always fills in admirably but never impresses enough to be offered a full-time position.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-21-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote