HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pivko

Old
07-20-2006, 12:59 AM
#1GuinFan

vCash: 265
Pivko

Could anyone here who is familiar with Pivko's game give an account please.

Shero has already stated that Pivko will be playing in the NHL next year, but if not in Pittsburgh than in Europe. He's also stated he will be signing him to a 2-way contract. SO basically, we can expect to see him in the line-up at some point.
It was also posted in the Pens thread that your AHL teams coach had said he was better then a couple of Nashville's forwards, and belonged in the NHL.

Based on his stats, he is clearly a playmaker and a projected top 6 forward or bust. But past this, we have little info.
So any little bit is appreciated. (ie what kind of player he should be playing with)

#1GuinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 09:02 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
If he was better than a couple of Nashville's forwards, I'd like to know which ones. Noel loved Upshall and Tootoo and both played huge roles with the Ads so it wouldn't be them. He's not better than Legwand, Kariya, Sullivan, Erat, or Hartnell either. I guess maybe he's a little better than Fiddler but Fids is only here as an energy player, penalty killer and most important a center and he might have more skill than Hordichuk, but that would be about it. Pivko was a 2way player decent not great and I'd say was about even with Segal as far as depth charts go, well behind Radulov, Upshall and Tootoo.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 07:27 PM
muddycreek*

I agree!

muddycreek* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:44 AM
AdmiralPred

Pivko is rather lanky and has, what seems to be, a poor center of balance. Because of this one of my major knocks is that he is easily knocked off of the puck or knocked down, but a good skater when he has the room. Another thing with Pivko back in 03-04 was that he usually played around the perimiter of the action, never really taking any initiative to jump in. I'm not talking about playing in traffic, I mean just taking the initiative to be involved in the play. Over the past two seasons there has been noticable improvement in this part of his game, but he is still a loose skater. Reminds me of that cartoon character with droopy eyes and the long crooked neck who just kind of bobs about (although Pivko is a quite a bit more intelligent). However, the competition still doesn't have to be too physical to get him off of the puck, he's 26 so I don't know how much he'll improve there.

Due to the various moves the Preds made during this past season with Gamache, Upshall, Tootoo, Fiddler, and Shish Pivko picked up a ton of PP time and proved to be quite effective from the point. His getting involved with the play more has shown how good of a playmaker he can be, and having room on the PP to showcase his talent probably helped his stats this season (that and Haydar's finishing ability). There is no way he could play the fourth line, but may be a decent depth guy to help out on line three in the NHL.

Thing is, Pivko wanted a one-way deal - maybe it was a round-about way to get a trade to a team that wasn't so deep at wing, I don't know. Pittsburgh gets a decent depth guy if they can find room on their roster for him, or they get a very good AHLer if he accepts a two-way from Shero.

Last edited by AdmiralPred: 07-21-2006 at 09:50 AM.
AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote