HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detroit assets who will not be moved and what may happen concerning goaltending.

Old
07-20-2006, 01:02 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Detroit assets who will not be moved and what may happen concerning goaltending.

Link Detroit Free Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.F.P.
The only Wings making that kind of money are centers Pavel Datsyuk ($3.9 million) and Robert Lang ($3.8 million) and defenseman Mathieu Schneider ($3.3 million) - and the Wings have no intention of trading any of them. Datsyuk, who turned 28 today, is an incredibly talented forward, and the Wings see him as the foundation of their future.

Lang is older (35) but he's big and strong and performs in the playoffs.

"For what he brings at his salary, he's good value," Nill said.

Schneider is as good an offensive defenseman as there is, and at 37 he's coming off a career year with 59 points.

"If you make that move, who are you bringing in on defense to replace him? That's not easy to find," Nill said.
Link MLive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLive
Nill says that moving Lang or Schneider just won't happen.
I was all for seeing what we could get for some of our older more expensive roster players and go with the youth, but it looks like Kenny is still holding on to a sinking ship (to use a metaphor).

With that being said, I hope Holland doesn't try and move the small bit of promising youth for a stop gap goalie. A move like that could cripple the franchise for a few years. I would prefer he let Howard and Liv battle out for the starters job this year and let Ozzy be back-up.

Thoughts???

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:06 PM
norrisnick

See the Spector has lost his mind thread.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings View Post
Link Detroit Free Press

Link MLive

I was all for seeing what we could get for some of our older more expensive roster players and go with the youth, but it looks like Kenny is still holding on to a sinking ship (to use a metaphor).

With that being said, I hope Holland doesn't try and move the small bit of promising youth for a stop gap goalie. A move like that could cripple the franchise for a few years. I would prefer he let Howard and Liv battle out for the starters job this year and let Ozzy be back-up.

Thoughts???
Anybody else find this interesting? Isn't goal still the most important position in hockey? How can you not be willing to move a guy like Robert Flipping Lang to improve yourself in net if you have to?

I can see not moving guys like Zetterburg or Kronwall, but it seems very strange to me to be willing to go with Osgood & a rookie in net on a supposedly contending team because you're not willing to move a guy like Lang or Schneider.

I'll be real interested to see how the teams that were dumpster diving for their starting goaltending do.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Marksman

It came straight from Wings GM - whose job is trying to maximize the return for Lang, even if he quite obviously wont be part in their long term plan. What would you expect from him?

Montreal front office says same things about Aebischer - how they like to have him around playing in tandem with Huet ... but seeing him traded after Huet received bigger contract would not surprice anyone.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2 View Post
It came straight from Wings GM - whose job is trying to maximize the return for Lang, even if he quite obviously wont be part in their long term plan. What would you expect from him?

Montreal front office says same things about Aebischer - how they like to have him around playing in tandem with Huet ... but seeing him traded after Huet received bigger contract would not surprice anyone.
So by saying that "Lang isn't available" Holland is really trying to drive up the return for Robert Lang? I just don't see that. Per Holland's statements, what exactly could he be offering for a substantial goaltending upgrade? Dan Cleary?

I think it's pretty apparent that DET needs an upgrade in net, or come to the realization that they aren't a serious contender. If you are a serious contender, you might move some picks/prospects to fill the goaltending. If you're not, you give Liv/Howard a chance and see what happens.

Old
07-20-2006, 04:56 PM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
So by saying that "Lang isn't available" Holland is really trying to drive up the return for Robert Lang? I just don't see that. Per Holland's statements, what exactly could he be offering for a substantial goaltending upgrade? Dan Cleary?

I think it's pretty apparent that DET needs an upgrade in net, or come to the realization that they aren't a serious contender. If you are a serious contender, you might move some picks/prospects to fill the goaltending. If you're not, you give Liv/Howard a chance and see what happens.
Just because they might have an Ozzie/Liv combo in net,or Ozzie/whoever else doesn't mean they won't be a serious contender. We could say that same thing for some other teams,that because of the goalies they have,they won't be a serious contender. There isn't a significant upgrade available right now,which is probably why Holland hasn't pulled the trigger on any trades. Plenty of time left before the season starts,just have to sit back and see what happens.

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:02 PM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
Just because they might have an Ozzie/Liv combo in net,or Ozzie/whoever else doesn't mean they won't be a serious contender. We could say that same thing for some other teams,that because of the goalies they have,they won't be a serious contender. There isn't a significant upgrade available right now,which is probably why Holland hasn't pulled the trigger on any trades. Plenty of time left before the season starts,just have to sit back and see what happens.
or even better, see what falls down from the apple tree by the trade deadline.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
or even better, see what falls down from the apple tree by the trade deadline.
That could end up costing you BIG. Look at EDM last year. You may end up needing to whip out the ladder, even.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

IMO, Wings management is treating next season as a throw-away of sorts. After next season, almost all of the vets will be gone other than Lidstrom and Draper and the Wings will have a great foundation with money to spend.

Nill could also just be posturing about Schneider and Lang.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 07:31 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

IMO you dont see Lang in a Wings uni by the end of the season

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 07:59 PM
mercury

Would the Red Wings be interested in any of Esche, Nedved, Handzus, or Dimitrakos?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Just because they might have an Ozzie/Liv combo in net,or Ozzie/whoever else doesn't mean they won't be a serious contender.
Here's were we disagree. Osgood is not a #1 starter at this point in his career. Hell, he was barely a #1 behind (IMO) the most dominant team over the last 18 years (and this is from a Hawks fan).

Liv/Howard might be the second coming of Patrick Roy - but how many rookie goalies are given the keys to a serious contender? Almost none, and there's a good reason for that. I'm not saying that a rookie can't get the job done, but it happens SO rarely for an extended period of time that it's either crazyness, stupidity, or arrogance to think that the proposed goalie tandem is good enough to play for a serious contender.

Old
07-21-2006, 09:36 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
luckily for the red wings philly is willing to part with robert esche for a 2nd or 3rd. or b level prospect.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:28 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Ken Holland has said over and over that he fully expects to start training camp with two veteran netminders on the roster and if one of the rookies comes out like gangbusters then so be it.

In my mind it is down to a possible four but all depending on the price.
Biron (Darcy Regier and Kenny Holland are good buddies and thatmay make a difference in this matter)
Toskala (probibly #1 on the list but may cost too much)
Esche (the least expensive to get but probibly the least skilled as well)
Belfour (last resort if asking prices are too much)

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:46 AM
ajsonor

Where does Igor Gregorenko stand with Detroit right now? Has he fully recovered? Coming over to NA? Available as an asset for a goalie?

ajsonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:46 AM
evilnick88

I think David Aebischer could be a very good option for the Wings for this season.

The Habs probably aren't asking for much in return (one decent player, I assume), he makes 1.9M$ this year and is a UFA after the season.

If he does a good job they could re-sign him and if not they let him go.

I agree with the thinking that Detroit will be in a transitional phase next season and they probably shouldn't handcuff themselves with big new contracts.

evilnick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:55 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnick88 View Post
I think David Aebischer could be a very good option for the Wings for this season.

The Habs probably aren't asking for much in return (one decent player, I assume), he makes 1.9M$ this year and is a UFA after the season.

If he does a good job they could re-sign him and if not they let him go.

I agree with the thinking that Detroit will be in a transitional phase next season and they probably shouldn't handcuff themselves with big new contracts.
I think Montreal would want Lang for Aebischer. If thats the case, Lang helps Detroit out more in the playoffs than Aebischer would so I could see why they wouldnt be biting.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I think Montreal would want Lang for Aebischer. If thats the case, Lang helps Detroit out more in the playoffs than Aebischer would so I could see why they wouldnt be biting.
I disagree very strongly on Lang helping more than Aebischer in the play-off's, depending on the other options that DET has to play goal.

Isn't Lang slated to play wing for either Datsyuk or Zetterburg?

Old
07-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings View Post
Ken Holland has said over and over that he fully expects to start training camp with two veteran netminders on the roster and if one of the rookies comes out like gangbusters then so be it.

In my mind it is down to a possible four but all depending on the price.
Biron (Darcy Regier and Kenny Holland are good buddies and thatmay make a difference in this matter)
Toskala (probibly #1 on the list but may cost too much)
Esche (the least expensive to get but probibly the least skilled as well)
Belfour (last resort if asking prices are too much)

I believe that it is down to Esche.

Biron - buddies or not, I think Regeir is looking for more in return than what Detroit is willing to offer.

Toskala - as stated above, too much money tied up in a #1 for too many years when Howard and Liv will be ready in a year or two.

Belfour - I believe the guy isn't getting signed because he can't pass his physicals (the wonky back, IMO, may still be bothering him).

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:13 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor View Post
Where does Igor Gregorenko stand with Detroit right now? Has he fully recovered? Coming over to NA? Available as an asset for a goalie?
He's not coming over this year. He has not returned to pre-injury form yet, he's at maybe 80%. The odds of him signing with the Wings next summer are somewhere around 50 to 65%, although the public comments from the Wings front office have not been very encouraging. I'm not sure another team would want Grigs in exchange for a goalie, tough to tell what his value really is right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I disagree very strongly on Lang helping more than Aebischer in the play-off's, depending on the other options that DET has to play goal.

Isn't Lang slated to play wing for either Datsyuk or Zetterburg?
Lang centered the 3rd line last season and I suspect he'd play down the middle again this year. Either Zetterberg will move back to LW or Lang will be the 3rd line center. The Wings did try to play Robert on the wing last season, but he rebelled and played poorly. I doubt it will be attempted again.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:11 PM
salty justice

Quote:
There isn't a significant upgrade available right now,which is probably why Holland hasn't pulled the trigger on any trades. Plenty of time left before the season starts,just have to sit back and see what happens.
IMO Legace is far and away the best and cheapest goalie available at the moment. It is too bad he was the scapegoat for a good team that choked in the playoffs.

Eklund had Khabibulin going to Detroit a couple weeks ago. I know Eklund is full of ****, but realistically what would it take to deal Khabibulin to Detroit? What kind of salary do the Hawks need to take back? I proposed a Lang for Khabi thread, but I am sure the Hawks would be willing to add a semi decent pick or prosect in the deal.

Khabibulin is still one of the best goalies in the league when he has an NHL caliber defense in front of him.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:18 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
IMO Legace is far and away the best and cheapest goalie available at the moment. It is too bad he was the scapegoat for a good team that choked in the playoffs.

Eklund had Khabibulin going to Detroit a couple weeks ago. I know Eklund is full of ****, but realistically what would it take to deal Khabibulin to Detroit? What kind of salary do the Hawks need to take back? I proposed a Lang for Khabi thread, but I am sure the Hawks would be willing to add a semi decent pick or prosect in the deal.

Khabibulin is still one of the best goalies in the league when he has an NHL caliber defense in front of him.
Realistically speaking, we can not afford Khabi's salary while Lidstrom is making near 8 million. We just can't tie up that much money in two players. There is some speculation the Wings were prepared to pay that kind of money for Luongo, and I would bet my house that we'd snap up Brodeur if given the chance... but Khabi is not in their category and I don't think he would tempt the Wings front office enough to deal with the cap complications his salary would bring.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Darth Milbury

I'll probably get flamed for this post, but I think all of this (if true), shows why the Wings are continually a contender. Stability, loyality to existing players, investment in guys that want to be there - those are all marks of winners.

I think Wing management is betting that some of their young talent (like Howard) will take the next step.

I think they're right.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 356
Biron is not available

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan View Post
I believe that it is down to Esche.

Biron - buddies or not, I think Regeir is looking for more in return than what Detroit is willing to offer.

Toskala - as stated above, too much money tied up in a #1 for too many years when Howard and Liv will be ready in a year or two.

Belfour - I believe the guy isn't getting signed because he can't pass his physicals (the wonky back, IMO, may still be bothering him).

Toskala's contract is a bargain. The other poster was referring to what the Wings would have to give up to acquire him.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote