HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Leafs and Bruins threat this upcoming season?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
  #1
Habs4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal, (Quebec)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Are Leafs and Bruins threat this upcoming season?

I see overwhelming support and optimism from their fans despite so many problems they went through last year.

would hab fans respond in similar manner if we had made brutal deals like Bruins made last year with Thorton, and samsonov?

while from leafs side eventhough they had late season success but their GM still decided to still go ahead with usual veteran signnings despite great performances by youngsters last year.

Despite missing the playoff both Toronto, and Boston fans seems to think their team has become instant threat in the division in one offseason despite just making lateral moves.

I know it could be possible for big turnaround if roster is loaded with high potential yougsters but Toronto has got nothing after steen so where does the optimism come from? While boston improved a bit, it will be interesting to see how chara responds to more crackdown..

Looking at Leafs forum you would think they got the best team in our division they are already comparing themselves to last years Edmenton.

last year it was the hypedup veterans for Toronto but now its just playing silly hyping up roster that downgraded offensively with Peca signning.

While Bruins who downgraded tremendously with the loss of Thorton and samsonov loss are gearing up for top performance season as well, I know its one thing to be optimistic but how can they after they lost maybe the MVP in Thorton, maybe their fans are less hostile then Montreal ...

Why aren't hab fans as over optimistic as this guys?

And where do we rank in our division?

From my perspective Toronto is just playing silly they got no plan what so ever, rather then building great franchise from within they constantly look for trade and free agency opportunity to fill their roster, its very obvious after peca signning how desperate they are for adding top name into their roster rather then going through whole player development stage, then after all that their fans complain about losing potential star players for next to nothing...


Last edited by Habs4ever: 07-20-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Habs4ever is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:35 PM
  #2
Poochie_D
Registered User
 
Poochie_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Toronto doesn't scare me in the least bit. They have the worst wingers in the NHL in my opnion.

Boston has potential to be a playoff team but so did Pittsburgh last year.

I really don't like making pre season predictions so we'll see what happens.

Poochie_D is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM
  #3
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Boston I think will be really good this year.
They already had the Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes line and now they have a good second line with Savard(even if he's overrated) and perhaps players like Murray could have a comeback.

On defense they are extremely solid with Chara, Mara, Stuart, Jurcina...

I'm worried about the Bruins.

The leafs on the other hand have an offense that will rely massively on Sundin, and as great as he is, he will not be able to lift them that much.

Namso is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:43 PM
  #4
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Boston I think will be really good this year.
They already had the Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes line and now they have a good second line with Savard(even if he's overrated) and perhaps players like Murray could have a comeback.

On defense they are extremely solid with Chara, Mara, Stuart, Jurcina...

I'm worried about the Bruins.

The leafs on the other hand have an offense that will rely massively on Sundin, and as great as he is, he will not be able to lift them that much.

100% in agreement. The Bruins have potential to be a good team that can finish 2nd or 3rd in our division. The leafs don't worry me one bit.

HomaridII is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:43 PM
  #5
phil
Registered User
 
phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: sand and sun island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
peca might help the leafs more than we think...

phil is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:44 PM
  #6
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,975
vCash: 500
Awards:
I think the Leafs are no better or worse than they were last season, but Boston could be a threat. But, like others have said, you never know. Off-season activity isn't guaranteed to translate into on-ice performance so I guess we'll wait and see.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:47 PM
  #7
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,647
vCash: 500
Frankly, everyone's a threat in the new NHL.

Think about it: This time last year, were we considering Carolina to be a threat?


Last edited by MM425: 07-21-2006 at 09:02 AM.
MM425 is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
  #8
pwallll
Registered User
 
pwallll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Leafs made some good moves too. Raycroft will bounce back, Kubina and Gill are good d-men, and peca is a great 2 way forward. Aside from sundin, leafs have some great young kids that can play, and a new coach. Its a fresh new team that got rid of a lot of bad players (Belfour, Berg, Khavanov, Allison, Domi, Lindros). Dont count the leafs out just yet

pwallll is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:51 PM
  #9
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
the leafs are much improved, not just based on additions, but subtractions.

aki berg, jason allison, tie domi, ed belfour, and alex khavanov are no longer there.

allison scored at a good pace, but he was an awful even strength presence.

out: berg, allison, domi, belfour, khavanov, lindros (30 games)
in: kubina, peca, gill, raycroft, westrum, YOUTH

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:52 PM
  #10
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Hmmmm

It is always so difficult to be objective when talking about the leafs.

I think they have improved their club. Nothing earth shaking though. They could make the playoffs. Their forwards are not impressive. The Peca acquisition strikes me as being just one more "name" player past his prime who has "always wanted to play for the Leafs" . As far as I recall none of those acquisitions have amounted to much. Raycroft in net?

Boston is improved but I doubt it is enough to make the playoffs. Boston makes strange moves. If they are serious about getting better, what is Thornton doing on the west coast? The best thing about Chara going to Boston is that he is not in Ottawa anymore.

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:55 PM
  #11
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,142
vCash: 500
The difference in points between teams was pretty small last season. Many teams can be a threat. I dont think you can dismiss teams just like that. So yeah, I'd rather go under the assomption they are a threat and we have to play good consistant hockey to beat them.

znk is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 08:57 PM
  #12
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Frankly, everyone's a threat in the new NHL.

Think about it: This time last year, were were considering Carolina to be a threat?
Exactly. I wouldn't count anybody out right now. The Leafs are going to have one big thing going for them above and beyond any of the on-ice moves they made this off-season: Paul Maurice. Not that Pat Quinn was a bad coach, quite the contrary, but having a fresh new voice, and a very competent one, might give them a significant boost. If they were only a few points out of the playoffs last season, there's no reason why they can't be a few points better than that this season, and hence be a threat to us. Others have already covered Boston, I believe. Everybody in our division is a threat, IMO.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 09:00 PM
  #13
AH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Woodbridge, ON
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 4,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by your_rogers_bill View Post
the leafs are much improved, not just based on additions, but subtractions.

aki berg, jason allison, tie domi, ed belfour, and alex khavanov are no longer there.

allison scored at a good pace, but he was an awful even strength presence.

out: berg, allison, domi, belfour, khavanov, lindros (30 games)
in: kubina, peca, gill, raycroft, westrum, YOUTH
Oh yeah, those four are really scaring the bejeezus out of me.

AH is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 09:08 PM
  #14
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Oh yeah, those four are really scaring the bejeezus out of me.
peca > allison
gill = berg
raycroft > belfour

ice-time for...
wellwood
stajan
white
westrum
pohl
harrison
colaiacovo
ondrus, etc... >>>>> domi, khavanov, richardson

only thing they might miss is the pp points allison scored. lindros wasn't a factor last year, so he shouldn't really count.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 09:10 PM
  #15
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,519
vCash: 500
Hal Gill, Boston's old pilon... versus Samsonov, Boston's old bullet train!

The only team I think will finish ahead of Montreal in our divison is Buffalo and it'll be a dog fight with a much weaker Ottawa club. The Booo'ns and Laffs will battle for draft pick positions.

Habs13 is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 09:11 PM
  #16
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post
Frankly, everyone's a threat in the new NHL.

Think about it: This time last year, were were considering Carolina to be a threat?
Nice avatar...it's giving me chills.

znk is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 09:25 PM
  #17
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Hal Gill, Boston's old pilon... versus Samsonov, Boston's old bullet train!
taking toronto's worst name-worthy transaction and putting it up against montreal's biggest ufa transaction in a decade isn't really fair.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
  #18
Taylorzzz
Registered User
 
Taylorzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kingsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
NO

Taylorzzz is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 09:45 PM
  #19
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
I hate to say it, but Boston's on the comeback trail. The Leafs? Not so much. They'll be worse than last year.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 10:13 PM
  #20
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,050
vCash: 256
I think they both got better,especially the Bruins.Their defence is really solid in my opinion(problably the best in our division).The Leafs did get better with the free agents not Hall Gill,but Kubina who we really wanted,Peca and Raycroft in a trade.We also got much better adding Johnson and Samsonov but compared to the Leafs and Bruins we did not get better defensevly.I think it will be harder then most of us think.We just say they will suck because we hate them,but they are not bad teams.


All us 3 have big if's in my opinion to make the playoffs.

Can Raycroft regain is old form?If yes the Leafs are a solid team.

Can Toivonen steal the show like he did in Providence?

Whitch Huet will show up?

I don't know but im worried guy's our defence is not that great compared to the rest of our division

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
  #21
terreur
Registered User
 
terreur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
The best thing about Chara going to Boston is that he is not in Ottawa anymore.

Agreed

terreur is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 10:26 PM
  #22
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I don't know but im worried guy's our defence is not that great compared to the rest of our division
The Habs' defense is fine. It doesn't have a big names (though Markov might be after next year) but as a unit it's mobile and very solid throughout. Like the forward lines, all six guys can be safely rolled out without fear of being exposed and they can match up speed or size. And the offense (5 20+ guys) is nothing to sniff at either.

It's more of a defense by commitee. That's why I'm not worried about what Bouillon and Dandenault are making money-wise, because they're not typical "bottom-pairing defensemen". They can put on minutes and they're quite safe to put on the ice -- at some point, IIRC, they were being matched with Jaromir Jagr...

MathMan is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 10:31 PM
  #23
deandebean
Registered User
 
deandebean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 9,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by your_rogers_bill View Post
peca > allison
gill = berg
raycroft > belfour

ice-time for...
wellwood
stajan
white
westrum
pohl
harrison
colaiacovo
ondrus, etc... >>>>> domi, khavanov, richardson

only thing they might miss is the pp points allison scored. lindros wasn't a factor last year, so he shouldn't really count.


Are you writing about Peter Pohl? The scared cat I saw playing in Gatineau?

deandebean is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 10:37 PM
  #24
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
I think for sure the 7th or 8th spot is going to be fought out between us, the leafs bruins, and atlanta.

You guys shouldnt be to confident about walking right into the playoffs because its not going to happen.

Evil Ted is offline  
Old
07-20-2006, 10:50 PM
  #25
Ape Clutch
Registered User
 
Ape Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: Haiti
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
I see overwhelming support and optimism from their fans despite so many problems they went through last year.

would hab fans respond in similar manner if we had made brutal deals like Bruins made last year with Thorton, and samsonov?

while from leafs side eventhough they had late season success but their GM still decided to still go ahead with usual veteran signnings despite great performances by youngsters last year.

Despite missing the playoff both Toronto, and Boston fans seems to think their team has become instant threat in the division in one offseason despite just making lateral moves.

I know it could be possible for big turnaround if roster is loaded with high potential yougsters but Toronto has got nothing after steen so where does the optimism come from? While boston improved a bit, it will be interesting to see how chara responds to more crackdown..

Looking at Leafs forum you would think they got the best team in our division they are already comparing themselves to last years Edmenton.

last year it was the hypedup veterans for Toronto but now its just playing silly hyping up roster that downgraded offensively with Peca signning.

While Bruins who downgraded tremendously with the loss of Thorton and samsonov loss are gearing up for top performance season as well, I know its one thing to be optimistic but how can they after they lost maybe the MVP in Thorton, maybe their fans are less hostile then Montreal ...

Why aren't hab fans as over optimistic as this guys?

And where do we rank in our division?

From my perspective Toronto is just playing silly they got no plan what so ever, rather then building great franchise from within they constantly look for trade and free agency opportunity to fill their roster, its very obvious after peca signning how desperate they are for adding top name into their roster rather then going through whole player development stage, then after all that their fans complain about losing potential star players for next to nothing...

they don't worry me, the officials reffing those games are who i'm freaked out about

Ape Clutch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.