HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Leafs and Bruins threat this upcoming season?

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Are Leafs and Bruins threat this upcoming season?

I see overwhelming support and optimism from their fans despite so many problems they went through last year.

would hab fans respond in similar manner if we had made brutal deals like Bruins made last year with Thorton, and samsonov?

while from leafs side eventhough they had late season success but their GM still decided to still go ahead with usual veteran signnings despite great performances by youngsters last year.

Despite missing the playoff both Toronto, and Boston fans seems to think their team has become instant threat in the division in one offseason despite just making lateral moves.

I know it could be possible for big turnaround if roster is loaded with high potential yougsters but Toronto has got nothing after steen so where does the optimism come from? While boston improved a bit, it will be interesting to see how chara responds to more crackdown..

Looking at Leafs forum you would think they got the best team in our division they are already comparing themselves to last years Edmenton.

last year it was the hypedup veterans for Toronto but now its just playing silly hyping up roster that downgraded offensively with Peca signning.

While Bruins who downgraded tremendously with the loss of Thorton and samsonov loss are gearing up for top performance season as well, I know its one thing to be optimistic but how can they after they lost maybe the MVP in Thorton, maybe their fans are less hostile then Montreal ...

Why aren't hab fans as over optimistic as this guys?

And where do we rank in our division?

From my perspective Toronto is just playing silly they got no plan what so ever, rather then building great franchise from within they constantly look for trade and free agency opportunity to fill their roster, its very obvious after peca signning how desperate they are for adding top name into their roster rather then going through whole player development stage, then after all that their fans complain about losing potential star players for next to nothing...

Last edited by Habs4ever: 07-20-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old
07-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Poochie_D

Toronto doesn't scare me in the least bit. They have the worst wingers in the NHL in my opnion.

Boston has potential to be a playoff team but so did Pittsburgh last year.

I really don't like making pre season predictions so we'll see what happens.

Old
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Namso

Boston I think will be really good this year.
They already had the Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes line and now they have a good second line with Savard(even if he's overrated) and perhaps players like Murray could have a comeback.

On defense they are extremely solid with Chara, Mara, Stuart, Jurcina...

I'm worried about the Bruins.

The leafs on the other hand have an offense that will rely massively on Sundin, and as great as he is, he will not be able to lift them that much.

Old
07-20-2006, 08:43 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Boston I think will be really good this year.
They already had the Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes line and now they have a good second line with Savard(even if he's overrated) and perhaps players like Murray could have a comeback.

On defense they are extremely solid with Chara, Mara, Stuart, Jurcina...

I'm worried about the Bruins.

The leafs on the other hand have an offense that will rely massively on Sundin, and as great as he is, he will not be able to lift them that much.

100% in agreement. The Bruins have potential to be a good team that can finish 2nd or 3rd in our division. The leafs don't worry me one bit.

Old
07-20-2006, 08:43 PM
phil

peca might help the leafs more than we think...

Old
07-20-2006, 08:44 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I think the Leafs are no better or worse than they were last season, but Boston could be a threat. But, like others have said, you never know. Off-season activity isn't guaranteed to translate into on-ice performance so I guess we'll wait and see.

Old
07-20-2006, 08:47 PM
MM425

Frankly, everyone's a threat in the new NHL.

Think about it: This time last year, were we considering Carolina to be a threat?

Last edited by MM425: 07-21-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old
07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
pwallll

Leafs made some good moves too. Raycroft will bounce back, Kubina and Gill are good d-men, and peca is a great 2 way forward. Aside from sundin, leafs have some great young kids that can play, and a new coach. Its a fresh new team that got rid of a lot of bad players (Belfour, Berg, Khavanov, Allison, Domi, Lindros). Dont count the leafs out just yet

Old
07-20-2006, 08:51 PM
leafaholix*

the leafs are much improved, not just based on additions, but subtractions.

aki berg, jason allison, tie domi, ed belfour, and alex khavanov are no longer there.

allison scored at a good pace, but he was an awful even strength presence.

out: berg, allison, domi, belfour, khavanov, lindros (30 games)
in: kubina, peca, gill, raycroft, westrum, YOUTH

Old
07-20-2006, 08:52 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmmm

It is always so difficult to be objective when talking about the leafs.

I think they have improved their club. Nothing earth shaking though. They could make the playoffs. Their forwards are not impressive. The Peca acquisition strikes me as being just one more "name" player past his prime who has "always wanted to play for the Leafs" . As far as I recall none of those acquisitions have amounted to much. Raycroft in net?

Boston is improved but I doubt it is enough to make the playoffs. Boston makes strange moves. If they are serious about getting better, what is Thornton doing on the west coast? The best thing about Chara going to Boston is that he is not in Ottawa anymore.

Old
07-20-2006, 08:55 PM
znk

The difference in points between teams was pretty small last season. Many teams can be a threat. I dont think you can dismiss teams just like that. So yeah, I'd rather go under the assomption they are a threat and we have to play good consistant hockey to beat them.

Old
07-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post

Think about it: This time last year, were were considering Carolina to be a threat?
Exactly. I wouldn't count anybody out right now. The Leafs are going to have one big thing going for them above and beyond any of the on-ice moves they made this off-season: Paul Maurice. Not that Pat Quinn was a bad coach, quite the contrary, but having a fresh new voice, and a very competent one, might give them a significant boost. If they were only a few points out of the playoffs last season, there's no reason why they can't be a few points better than that this season, and hence be a threat to us. Others have already covered Boston, I believe. Everybody in our division is a threat, IMO.

Old
07-20-2006, 09:00 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by your_rogers_bill View Post
the leafs are much improved, not just based on additions, but subtractions.

aki berg, jason allison, tie domi, ed belfour, and alex khavanov are no longer there.

allison scored at a good pace, but he was an awful even strength presence.

out: berg, allison, domi, belfour, khavanov, lindros (30 games)
in: kubina, peca, gill, raycroft, westrum, YOUTH
Oh yeah, those four are really scaring the bejeezus out of me.

Old
07-20-2006, 09:08 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Oh yeah, those four are really scaring the bejeezus out of me.
peca > allison
gill = berg
raycroft > belfour

ice-time for...
wellwood
stajan
white
westrum
pohl
harrison
colaiacovo
ondrus, etc... >>>>> domi, khavanov, richardson

only thing they might miss is the pp points allison scored. lindros wasn't a factor last year, so he shouldn't really count.

Old
07-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Habs13

Hal Gill, Boston's old pilon... versus Samsonov, Boston's old bullet train!

The only team I think will finish ahead of Montreal in our divison is Buffalo and it'll be a dog fight with a much weaker Ottawa club. The Booo'ns and Laffs will battle for draft pick positions.

Old
07-20-2006, 09:11 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackattack View Post

Think about it: This time last year, were were considering Carolina to be a threat?
Nice avatar...it's giving me chills.

Old
07-20-2006, 09:25 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Hal Gill, Boston's old pilon... versus Samsonov, Boston's old bullet train!
taking toronto's worst name-worthy transaction and putting it up against montreal's biggest ufa transaction in a decade isn't really fair.

Old
07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Taylorzzz

NO

Old
07-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Guy Caballero

I hate to say it, but Boston's on the comeback trail. The Leafs? Not so much. They'll be worse than last year.

Old
07-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I think they both got better,especially the Bruins.Their defence is really solid in my opinion(problably the best in our division).The Leafs did get better with the free agents not Hall Gill,but Kubina who we really wanted,Peca and Raycroft in a trade.We also got much better adding Johnson and Samsonov but compared to the Leafs and Bruins we did not get better defensevly.I think it will be harder then most of us think.We just say they will suck because we hate them,but they are not bad teams.

All us 3 have big if's in my opinion to make the playoffs.

Can Raycroft regain is old form?If yes the Leafs are a solid team.

Can Toivonen steal the show like he did in Providence?

Whitch Huet will show up?

I don't know but im worried guy's our defence is not that great compared to the rest of our division

Old
07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
terreur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
The best thing about Chara going to Boston is that he is not in Ottawa anymore.

Agreed

Old
07-20-2006, 10:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I don't know but im worried guy's our defence is not that great compared to the rest of our division
The Habs' defense is fine. It doesn't have a big names (though Markov might be after next year) but as a unit it's mobile and very solid throughout. Like the forward lines, all six guys can be safely rolled out without fear of being exposed and they can match up speed or size. And the offense (5 20+ guys) is nothing to sniff at either.

It's more of a defense by commitee. That's why I'm not worried about what Bouillon and Dandenault are making money-wise, because they're not typical "bottom-pairing defensemen". They can put on minutes and they're quite safe to put on the ice -- at some point, IIRC, they were being matched with Jaromir Jagr...

Old
07-20-2006, 10:31 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by your_rogers_bill View Post
peca > allison
gill = berg
raycroft > belfour

ice-time for...
wellwood
stajan
white
westrum
pohl
harrison
colaiacovo
ondrus, etc... >>>>> domi, khavanov, richardson

only thing they might miss is the pp points allison scored. lindros wasn't a factor last year, so he shouldn't really count.

Are you writing about Peter Pohl? The scared cat I saw playing in Gatineau?

Old
07-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Evil Ted

I think for sure the 7th or 8th spot is going to be fought out between us, the leafs bruins, and atlanta.

You guys shouldnt be to confident about walking right into the playoffs because its not going to happen.

Old
07-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
I see overwhelming support and optimism from their fans despite so many problems they went through last year.

would hab fans respond in similar manner if we had made brutal deals like Bruins made last year with Thorton, and samsonov?

while from leafs side eventhough they had late season success but their GM still decided to still go ahead with usual veteran signnings despite great performances by youngsters last year.

Despite missing the playoff both Toronto, and Boston fans seems to think their team has become instant threat in the division in one offseason despite just making lateral moves.

I know it could be possible for big turnaround if roster is loaded with high potential yougsters but Toronto has got nothing after steen so where does the optimism come from? While boston improved a bit, it will be interesting to see how chara responds to more crackdown..

Looking at Leafs forum you would think they got the best team in our division they are already comparing themselves to last years Edmenton.

last year it was the hypedup veterans for Toronto but now its just playing silly hyping up roster that downgraded offensively with Peca signning.

While Bruins who downgraded tremendously with the loss of Thorton and samsonov loss are gearing up for top performance season as well, I know its one thing to be optimistic but how can they after they lost maybe the MVP in Thorton, maybe their fans are less hostile then Montreal ...

Why aren't hab fans as over optimistic as this guys?

And where do we rank in our division?

From my perspective Toronto is just playing silly they got no plan what so ever, rather then building great franchise from within they constantly look for trade and free agency opportunity to fill their roster, its very obvious after peca signning how desperate they are for adding top name into their roster rather then going through whole player development stage, then after all that their fans complain about losing potential star players for next to nothing...

they don't worry me, the officials reffing those games are who i'm freaked out about

Closed Thread