HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal - EDM/NJ/PHX

Old
07-20-2006, 05:00 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Proposal - EDM/NJ/PHX

I just had this same thread locked on the Oilers board because it didn't have a link (even though there was no rumor posted), or maybe just because it's more appropriate on this board.

Someone at Oilfans posted a rumor involving these 3 teams. While the rumored trade it's self is just too outrageous to believe, it got me thinking about a possible deal between the 3.

What we know:

1. The Devils are facing some serious cap concerns right now and have to drop some big salaries either by trade, or not accepting an arbitration award to Gomez, making him a UFA (I would guess the former is more likely).

2. As reported out of Phoenix, the Coyotes are interested in Scott Gomez. However, they are near their budget as it is, and would have to send salary out in order to fit Gomez in. However, New Jersey's situation doesn't allow for them to take back much salary.

3. Edmonton is, or at least has been, in talks with the Devils and are believed to be interested in a top 4 defenceman and someone to improve the powerplay. Whether they're looking for one player to fill both needs is anyone's guess. They are the only one of the 3 teams capable of adding a large salary without sending one the other way.

Assumptions:

1. Gomez going to Phoenix is the main reason for them to be involved in this trade in the first place.

2. Recent UFA signings rarely get trade so Reasoner, Pisani, Roloson, Roenick, Laraque (besides, he has a NTC ), Morrison, Elias, Langenbrunner, Jovanovski, are probably out of the question.

3. Comrie won't be returning to Edmonton, and Doan is Phoenix's Ryan Smyth (won't be traded).

4. Brodeur won't be traded either

Is there a deal to be made here? If so, what would you suggest?

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:07 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
I could see the Coyotes moving Derek Morris to Edmonton with Scott Gomez coming to Phoenix. Obviously, especially in a three-team deal, more would need to be added, but it's a starting point.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:09 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Realistically I can see trading Morris to Edmonton to fulfill their top 4 defenceman requirement and a draft pick or young prospect like Matt Jones/Spiller to either EDM or NJ, EDM would send Schremp/Pouliot and a pick to NJ, and PHO would get Gomez in return.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:14 PM
MinnesotaFats

I dont see NJ doing this deal unless they are getting a centre in return. Losing Gomez leaves a big hole and Im sure they'll want to fill it with a cheap alternative if pretty decent upside. Comrie or Stoll maybe? Three team deals are hard to pull off - nevermind when star players are involved. Dont see it happening, but who knows.

EDM: Morris
NJ: Comrie, Bergeron
PHO: Gomez

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:16 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

We give up Comrie AND Morris and you send 'healthy scratch' Bergeron?

Old
07-20-2006, 05:18 PM
koeltrain

vCash: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
Realistically I can see trading Morris to Edmonton to fulfill their top 4 defenceman requirement and a draft pick or young prospect like Matt Jones/Spiller to either EDM or NJ, EDM would send Schremp/Pouliot and a pick to NJ, and PHO would get Gomez in return.
Ok so:

Edmonton trades--> Schremp/Pouliot + pick ---> gets Morris + prospect/pick

NJ trades ----> Gomez ----> gets Schremp/Pouliot + pick

PHO trades ----> Morris + prospect/pick -----> gets Gomez

That's pretty realistic I guess. Just depends where the picks are. I would like conditional picks in the trade depending on guys resigning and that kind of thing (I would think that PHO would want Gomez tied up longer term to give up Morris +). I would rather do Pouliot and a higher pick than Schremp and a lower pick as an Oiler fan.

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44prongs View Post
PHO: Gomez, Jacques
There. That's a bit closer.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Spawn

Quote:
I dont see NJ doing this deal unless they are getting a centre in return. Losing Gomez leaves a big hole and Im sure they'll want to fill it with a cheap alternative if pretty decent upside. Comrie or Stoll maybe? Three team deals are hard to pull off - nevermind when star players are involved. Dont see it happening, but who knows.

PHO: Gomez
So the Oilers give up Bergeron and get Morris? Come on dude! That kind of trade doesn't happen

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
Ok so:

Edmonton trades--> Schremp/Pouliot + pick ---> gets Morris + prospect/pick

NJ trades ----> Gomez ----> gets Schremp/Pouliot + pick

PHO trades ----> Morris + prospect/pick -----> gets Gomez

That's pretty realistic I guess. Just depends where the picks are. I would like conditional picks in the trade depending on guys resigning and that kind of thing (I would think that PHO would want Gomez tied up longer term to give up Morris +). I would rather do Pouliot and a higher pick than Schremp and a lower pick as an Oiler fan.
So Edmonton trades it's top 2 prospects for Morris? Nothing in the Yotes system that really could offset this one sider.
The more I think about it, the more I wan't nothing to do with a Gomez trade. I say we save our dough for the trade deadline. I'm more and more convinced that we can make the post season with the current line up

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:27 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujifuu View Post
So the Oilers give up Bergeron and get Morris? Come on dude! That kind of trade doesn't happen
Sorry I should have clarified. That was the framework of a proposal. Im not an MAB fan, so I certainly dont overvalue him. The Oilers would need to add something else to that deal though - a prospect like JFJ or Winnie. Proposals involving Schremp are ridiculous though - Schremp for Morris is ludacris.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:27 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

It was Schremp or Pouliot, not both.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:28 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
It was Schremp or Pouliot, not both.
Pouliot maybe do-able, but Schremp is going nowhere.

07-20-2006, 05:29 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Sorry I should have clarified. That was the framework of a proposal. Im not an MAB fan, so I certainly dont overvalue him. The Oilers would need to add something else to that deal though - a prospect like JFJ or Winnie. Proposals involving Schremp are ridiculous though - Schremp for Morris is ludacris.
Judging by your avatar you over-value Schremp. He hasn't proven anything at this level yet.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Seachd

Quote:
True, but you seemed to think you could get Gomez for Morris and Spiller/Jones, so...

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:33 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Judging by your avatar you over-value Schremp. He hasn't proven anything at this level yet.
You're right, he hasnt proven anything yet. But Id rather see how he pans out than give him up for Morris. Just to refresh your memory, Schremp was slated to go top 5 in his draft and slipped down to 25 due to his supposed "attitude problems". Cant see Lowe giving up that sort of talent for Morris - a guy that has found his way on to 3 teams in just 7 pro seasons (guys that move that much always worry me).

Old
07-20-2006, 05:34 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
True, but you seemed to think you could get Gomez for Morris and Spiller/Jones, so...
Your point? Morris is a bonafied top four defenceman on any team in the league, and Jones is a future top four d-man. Bergeron is a healthy scratch in the playoffs? I don't see how comparing Morris/Jones to Bergeron is even in the same ballpark.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:34 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Comrie and Spiller would be enough to get Gomez. Maybe a garbage pick thrown in for good measure.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
so if someone gets benched for one game he becomes "Mr.Healthy Scratch" for good? who knows how healthy he really was that deep in the playoffs. I would take a 15 goals and 30 assists "healthy scratch" Dman for less then a million\yr on my team anyday. I know where you are coming from though..In that particular proposal Edm isnt giving up enough. maybe a decent prospect or 2nd rounder going to PHO would make it fair to all.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Your point? Morris is a bonafied top four defenceman on any team in the league, and Jones is a future top four d-man. Bergeron is a healthy scratch in the playoffs? I don't see how comparing Morris/Jones to Bergeron is even in the same ballpark.
I didn't compare them at all. I just doubt Morris and Jones get you Gomez, especially considering Morris's salary.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2006, 05:37 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
You're right, he hasnt proven anything yet. But Id rather see how he pans out than give him up for Morris. Just to refresh your memory, Schremp was slated to go top 5 in his draft and slipped down to 25 due to his supposed "attitude problems". Cant see Lowe giving up that sort of talent for Morris - a guy that has found his way on to 3 teams in just 7 pro seasons (guys that move that much always worry me).
But isn't your defence the most pressing issue right now? Usually teams trade to address those areas prior to the season. It's kind of a decision as to whether you want to wait for a guy like Schremp to develop and plug holes on defence in the meantime, or if you want to challenge for the Cup again this year and field the best "win now" line-up. I don't have the answer, Kevin Lowe does.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:39 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I didn't compare them at all. I just doubt Morris and Jones get you Gomez, especially considering Morris's salary.
I think Morris's current salary is more than reasonable the way inflation has raised the bar among defenceman this summer. And he's locked up for a number of years if I'm not mistaken. I had my doubts that trade would work out, but if every team fills their respective needs, why not?

Old
07-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujifuu View Post
Morris might be considered overpaid and soon to be UFA.. MAB will be our PP QB <if we dont pick up another Dman> and will be scoring 15+ goals again.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:41 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
But isn't your defence the most pressing issue right now? Usually teams trade to address those areas prior to the season. It's kind of a decision as to whether you want to wait for a guy like Schremp to develop and plug holes on defence in the meantime, or if you want to challenge for the Cup again this year and field the best "win now" line-up. I don't have the answer, Kevin Lowe does.
Id love to add a top 4 guy before the season starts. But with Dallas' overloaded on D and NJs cap problems, Lowe has options available that wont cost him the team's top prospect. Morris is a solid Dman, but Schremp wont be moved unless its some sort of package deal that brings Edmonton a greater return than Morris.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
He played 18 games in the playoffs. after 2 seasons in NHL he has 24 goals 61 points in 129 games and is +16.

Old
07-20-2006, 05:46 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

TO PHO: Gomez
TO EDM: Saprykin + Morris
TO NJ: Stoll + EDM's 2nd

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote