HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combos

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 07:49 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Line Combos

Am I missing something? I thought Sather would do a good job coaching the Rangers, but he's a joke. Did anyone else find themselves laughing in disbelief last night when they saw the line combonations? It's official: This guy has no clue..... the depression at MSG continues....

This is what I would do but anything similar would actually make sense!!

Moore-Lindros-Kovalev
DLac/Hlavac-Nedved-Lundmark
Rucinsky-Holik-Carter
Simon-Messier-Barnaby

Basically it makes sense to me to:

A. Give the young players who are actually playing well and hard more icetime.

B. Keep the two lines together that have actually shown chemistry (Holik, Mess)

C. Try to find a combonation with the top two lines that work.

I would give Lindros and Kovalev a chance together again.. I know it didnt work last year but maybe if Lindros plays decent hockey he and Kovalev can create room for each other.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:16 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I guess I'd also be willing to try Kovalev with Lindros again, but even considering LaCouture on the 2nd line with Nedved is insane.

Just a thought, but here's my big shakeup

Simon-Lindros-Kovalev
Moore-Nedved-Lundmark
Hlavac/Rucinsky-Holik-Carter
Rucinsky/Hlavac-Messier-Barnaby

Leetch-Mironov
DeVries-Poti
Kasparaitis-Bouchard

Dunham

Sather's GOT to roll 4 lines here, and to be quite honest I just can't take Lindros on the wing anymore. It's idiotic. It's also been tried twice, and it's been beaten twice. But before Lindros got hurt, he had his own line and the playing was better, the results were better. How hard is that to understand???

Old
11-11-2003, 08:20 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
One of the papers mentioned something about Eric moving back to center with Lundmark on his wing and Sather said that would mean moving Moore. Then he commented 'Maybe to a wing position."

Lundmark-Lindros-Moore? Would he do that?

Old
11-11-2003, 08:20 AM
Larry Melnyk

Not a bad suggestion..I can't stand Messier and he looks horrible lately, but The BMS line needs to stay together and be given less minutes...Holik and Carter work well together as an all-around pair and I guess Rucinsky is as good a choice as any for the 3rd spot..Trying to find the right chemsitry for two lines amongst Kovalev, nedved, Lindros and the kids should be the task at hand while keeping the other two stable...But what Sather has done the past 2 games (breaking all 4 lines) is nothing but pure idiocy................He took away any momemtum/energy this team had with his cockamaimey concoctions..However, this lunacy pales in comparison to the assinine decision to go into the season with your three main LWs being hlavac, Rucinsky and Simon (despite his good early start)

Old
11-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Theoren Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundyfan
One of the papers mentioned something about Eric moving back to center with Lundmark on his wing and Sather said that would mean moving Moore. Then he commented 'Maybe to a wing position."

Lundmark-Lindros-Moore? Would he do that?
I'd be surprised, but more crazy things have happened.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Lundyfan

Here it is, it was in the Times...

Sather was asked if he would consider moving Lindros back to center. "You can put Eric in the middle, but that ends up taking Dominic out of the middle," he said. "But maybe he can play on the wing."

Old
11-11-2003, 08:55 AM
barnaby63

moore-lindros-lundmark
hlavac-nedved-kovalev
rucinsky-holik-carter
simon-messier-barnaby

these are the lines many(including myself) have asked for for weeks now. why is sather only thinking of it now?

Old
11-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Lundyfan

From today's Ranger practice....

All players skated ... the forward line combinations in practice were:
MOORE - LINDROS - LUNDMARK
HLAVAC - NEDVED - KOVALEV
SIMON - MESSIER - BARNABY
RUCINSKY - HOLIK - CARTER

Old
11-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Lundyfan

The order they are listed doesn't really mean anything. Hell they had Moore's line listed first yesterday.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:29 AM
barnaby63

Quote:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Old
11-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Barnaby

Quote:

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES C'MON

Old
11-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:

for the love of god sather finally gets it

Old
11-11-2003, 10:41 AM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
for the love of god sather finally gets it

My guess is Sather was away on business for todays practice!

Old
11-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Theoren Fan

Quote:
It's exciting to see, but if those lines actually hit the ice next game, that Lindros line better really light it up if they ever want to see the light of day again...afew shifts of no scoring and god forbid, a turnover by one of the kids and that line is history.

Old
11-11-2003, 11:53 AM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
It's exciting to see, but if those lines actually hit the ice next game, that Lindros line better really light it up if they ever want to see the light of day again...afew shifts of no scoring and god forbid, a turnover by one of the kids and that line is history.

Maybe showcasing the two youths for a trade!

Old
11-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN
Maybe showcasing the two youths for a trade!
Probably. Nothing like getting older and slower to improve a hockey team.

Old
11-11-2003, 12:43 PM
JR#9*

Simon-Lindros-Kovalev
Hlavac-Nedved-Lundmark
Rucinsky-Holik-Carter
Moore-Mess-Barnaby

Old
11-11-2003, 12:49 PM
Larry Melnyk

I like those practice lines..as good as it will get for this bunch...Now, if we could find away to dump Hlavac and Rucinsky (OK, he hasn't been terrible) and get a real 1st-2nd line LW, things would be peachy...

Old
11-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
I like those practice lines..as good as it will get for this bunch...Now, if we could find away to dump Hlavac and Rucinsky (OK, he hasn't been terrible) and get a real 1st-2nd line LW, things would be peachy...
How has Rucinsky not been terrible? He was signed to score goals, so far he's clueless. And he's now playing as a checker--wonderful, a player who doesn't use his size and can't seem to find his scoring touch.

I'd rather see Moore in his place next to Holik. Although that leaves the problem of who gets to play with Lindros...

Too many pieces that don't fit. Nothing new in Rangerland.

Old
11-11-2003, 01:20 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
How has Rucinsky not been terrible? He was signed to score goals, so far he's clueless. And he's now playing as a checker--wonderful, a player who doesn't use his size and can't seem to find his scoring touch.

I'd rather see Moore in his place next to Holik. Although that leaves the problem of who gets to play with Lindros...

rucinsky has played very well with holik. if the line is working, whats the problem?

Old
11-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger

Sheesh, that will teach me to try and be nice for a change!! ..Personally, I can't stand Rucinsky, never wanted him and think it was a mistake to sign him...That being said, he hasn't been all that bad on a line with Holik and Carter in a Brent Fedyk-I-can't-score-but-I-don't-hurt-the-team kind of fashion......I'm all for dumping hlavac and Rucinsky, but it ain't happening yet and I don't think Moore-Holik is really a match for a line that should check...Then again, with Sather, who knows what a line's job is?

Old
11-11-2003, 01:54 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa999
Using same logic, how has Kovalev not been terrible?
The logic that shows this is the norm for Ruchinsky, the ab-norm for Kovalev.. And even the "less" producing Ranger version of Kovalev, produces more than any version of Ruchinsky..

Not to get into a whole big thing with you, but I'm curious.. What is it about Hlavac's game that you like so much, and not see more of to like in Kovalev's?

Old
11-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN
My guess is Sather was away on business for todays practice!
I thought Renney was running the practices.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:26 PM
nyr5186

I think we can all agree that the Rucinsky-Holik-Carter and Simon-Mess-Barnaby 3rd and 4th lines, respectively, should be put back together and left alone. They shouldve never been seperated in the first place. After last night's debacle, hopefully Sather finally realizes the obvious. Today's practice lines are very encouraging, but we'll see what happens tomorrow night.

Now on the rest of the lineup...I dont think it was a good idea to break up the Hlavac-Nedved-Kovalev line. They were our best line throughout preseason, and showed signs of becoming a very dominating line. You dont just seperate them and waste 2 months of chemistry-building just because they had one or two bad games. I wouldnt even say they had any bad games together. On most nights, they worked hard and created chances, but the puck wouldnt go in for them. Hardly a reason to break them up. It was just a matter of time before they broke out, but no, Sather panicked and split them up. Maybe in time, if the Nedved line really gets cold, then you could try Kovalev with Lindros, but right now, I see no reason for it.

Its about time we gave some kids a chance by putting them on a top line. There are spots open in the lineup, so lets see what Moore and Lundmark could do. Hopefully Lindros doesnt get hurt after one period this time.

Leetch and Poti need to be broken up. By playing them together, you're not taking advantage of their strengths, and in reality, you're exposing their weaknesses (especially Poti's). Poti and DeVries looked great together for the first few games. Poti was jumping into the play and learning to use his body, while Greg was the perfect insurance out there. But again, Sather panics and breaks their chemistry, just to accomodate Leetch's comeback.

I think Mironov has played very well the last few games. Even when the whole team was struggling defensively, you could just tell he was one of the few bright spots. Just as you would punish him for playing poorly, I think right now is the time to reward him by placing him with Leetch. He and Malakhov have been inconsistent together. One night theyre absolutely dominating, the next night theyre losing coverage left and right and not playing physical. Time for Sather to finally acknowledge the fact that the Russian Duo will never come around as a pair.

By using Kasparaitis and Malakhov as the third pair, you can throw them out there with Holik's line in what in theory should be a tough, mean, physical unit of five to play against. This also helps balance our D-corps very well. Each pairing has a good combination of size, toughness, and puck skills. And with Bouchard and Purinton as extras you have two guys, both completely different in style, who can step in at any moment if somebody goes down.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:06 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa999
I am not so sure that Leetch right now is much better defensively than Malakhov, so it wouldn't be much of a reward for Mironov. Plus he wouldn't be able to go offense as much with Leetch. And to be switching partners too often for a defenseman could be career ending experience.
Youre judging Leetch on how he's looked coming off of an injury in which he missed training camp? In this case, juggling the defense too much is a moot point because pairing Leetch and Poti together makes absolutely no sense. It hinders the strength of both guys because if Poti pinches, then Leetch is the one who must play the role of defensive defenseman, which he obviously isnt. If Leetch pinches and Poti stays back, then Poti is even more of a liability. Ultimately what happens is both guys will pinch at the same time, leaving a countless number of defensive breakdowns and odd-man rushes going the other way. Just another example of guys not being played in their roles.

But now that I think of it, by you saying that switching partners too much is counter-productive, you just proved my point because Poti and Devries were seperated just to accomodate Leetch. If they were kept together in the first place, there would be no need to switch it twice.

And whatever Mironov does offensively is just a bonus. What I expect from him is to play smart defensively and use his body as much as possible, which he has been doing lately. Thats the type of player I want paired with Leetch.

Closed Thread