HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

LeftKingers 2006 2007 Western Conference Standings

Old
07-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Matt13

vCash: 500
Without Roenick, we'll never make the playoffs.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
We'll see who's right.
It's not a contest. I'm not trying to challenge your opinion, just providing a good, healthy debate.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Matt13

The gauntlet has been thrown!

Osprey and Leftwinger in a Death Cage Match!

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
You're looking at them on paper, but Detroit is a winning organization that has intangibles. I wouldn't count them out. Early last year, people (including here) predicted that Colorado would miss the playoffs, but I argued the same thing that I'm arguing now. Until a consistent winner actually drops far off of the radar, I'll always put my money on them.
And they get to play St. Louis and Chicago a combined sixteen times next year. I wouldn't have Detroit as a top four seed but would probably slot them fifth or sixth in the conference.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 06:11 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
You're looking at them on paper, but Detroit is a winning organization that has intangibles. I wouldn't count them out. Early last year, people (including here) predicted that Colorado would miss the playoffs, but I argued the same thing that I'm arguing now. Until a consistent winner actually drops far off of the radar, I'll always put my money on them.
They were a winning organization but the Red Wings we used to know are gone. Yzerman and Shanahan are both gone. Maltby and Draper are not the same in the new NHL. Right now theyre #1 Goaltender is Chris Osgood. They are still good enough to get to the playoffs but I don't think they are elite any more.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
It's not a contest. I'm not trying to challenge your opinion, just providing a good, healthy debate.
I have to agree with O. Detroit has a "winning attitude" which is often more important than the skill that a team has on paper.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I don't see Edmonton making the playoffs this year. No way.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 07:20 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I don't see Edmonton making the playoffs this year. No way.
You've got to feel for them.

They make it to the Finals and lose...then they lost one of the top-3 D-men in the league, their 2nd line centre and their best offensive D-man.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 08:16 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
They were a winning organization but the Red Wings we used to know are gone. Yzerman and Shanahan are both gone. Maltby and Draper are not the same in the new NHL. Right now theyre #1 Goaltender is Chris Osgood. They are still good enough to get to the playoffs but I don't think they are elite any more.
Osgood was 20-6-5 last year with a 2.76 GAA. If you're saying he's awful you don't understand the importance of a team concept on D. They still have a top 6 of Datsuyk, Zetterberg, Lang, Holmstrom, Samuelsson and Williams all who scored over 20 goals and Lidstrom and Schneider who combined for 139 points on defense. Maltby and Draper will continue to be a great checking line duo and Detroit will cruise into the playoffs once again. And this is all before they trade for a goalie who will be better than Cloutier.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

I do not see either Detroit or Dallas making the playoffs this year. Both are aging very quickly and lost a great deal this offseason. Winning attitude or not, you need some skill to make the playoffs.
Edmonton will surprise some people next year(hard to believe since they made the conference finals) due an incredibly deep offensive attack. Right now they have at least 6 proven top 6ers with guys like Shremp, Pisani, Pouliout, etc not counted. Defense is a question mark, but it will be deep if not very good on the top end, see Buffalo/Carolina.
Chicago will be better than many people think. Seabrook and Barker will anchor a decent blueline, Havlat, Calder should lead an alright offense, and i think without the injuries Khabibulin should find his old form. Not playoffs but 9-11 finish.

Still good work LeftKinger.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
I personally dont think the Ducks will be 1st in the conference...the offense depends heavily on the kids and there will be a new-found pressure now that they are expected to win. I think they will finish 3-4-5.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:01 PM
johnjm22

Detroit will find a way to win.

They're a lock for the top four.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Osprey

Quote:
They were a winning organization but the Red Wings we used to know are gone.
Wishful fans say that every year, and not just about the Wings.

Old
07-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

My predictions

1. Nashville
2. Minnesota
3. San Jose
4. Calgary
5. Detroit
6. Dallas
7. Anaheim
8. Phoenix

07-21-2006, 09:25 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Wishful fans say that every year, and not just about the Wings.
I knew you would say that and my response to that is that before it was just that wishful thinking. Before they had a ton of veteran leadership thats what made Detroit so good but now with Shanhan, Legace leaving UFA and Yzerman retiring they lost a lot of that. I just don't think they will be the dominant force they used to be.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I knew you would say that and my response to that is that before it was just that wishful thinking. Before they had a ton of veteran leadership thats what made Detroit so good but now with Shanhan, Legace leaving UFA and Yzerman retiring they lost a lot of that. I just don't think they will be the dominant force they used to be.
Quite possibly, but they don't have to be dominant to still be one of the better teams in the West. They could drop a whopping 20pts in the standings and still be 4th (according to last season's standings). Any other team would be out of the playoffs if they were to drop that much; that shows just how far ahead Detroit was. In order for them to come in 7th, like you predicted, they'd have to drop almost 30pts. I just don't see a free fall that steep happening, even without Shanahan and Yzerman. That's just my opinion, though; I'm not suggesting that yours is wrong or anything.

Old
07-21-2006, 10:49 PM
King86

Quote:
Until a consistent winner actually drops far off of the radar, I'll always put my money on them.

What about St. Louis last year? They had the longest streak of making the playoffs in all of the professional sports and they fell pretty far off the radar.

Though the Detroit and Colorado situations are a bit different, I wouldn't be surprised at all if one or both of them missed the playoffs this year.

King86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by King86 View Post
What about St. Louis last year? They had the longest streak of making the playoffs in all of the professional sports and they fell pretty far off the radar.
That's a lot different because of limited success, new ownership and a mailing in of the season before it even started.

Old
07-22-2006, 02:04 AM
Venom_17

Yah Left Kinger, the ratings are pretty solid overall. But I do not agree that the Ducks will win the Conference. I think Calgary will. In fact, I believe that the Sharks will win the Pacific Division, and the Ducks will finish 4th.

Old
07-22-2006, 04:13 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
Yah Left Kinger, the ratings are pretty solid overall. But I do not agree that the Ducks will win the Conference. I think Calgary will. In fact, I believe that the Sharks will win the Pacific Division, and the Ducks will finish 4th.
Something that should be kept in mind with Calgary is that Darryl Sutter isn't coach anymore. I can't see it affecting them too much, but it still creates a big question mark and increases the chance of them slipping a little, IMO.

Old
07-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Something that should be kept in mind with Calgary is that Darryl Sutter isn't coach anymore. I can't see it affecting them too much, but it still creates a big question mark and increases the chance of them slipping a little, IMO.
That is a good point.

But to me the Tanguay addition was huge. If that can add 20-30 extra goals onto the totals that Calgary had last year, plus an improved Phaneuf and a steady Kiprusoff/team defence, they should do a little better than they did last year.

Old
07-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

I see the Stars tanking this year and probably not going anywhere for the next few. The average age of their lineup is now significantly older and they have a bottom 5 prospect pool.

I'd switch Columbus with them. If Nash is healthy most of the year they're pretty much a lock to make the playoffs in my book.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaelWho View Post
I see the Stars tanking this year and probably not going anywhere for the next few. The average age of their lineup is now significantly older and they have a bottom 5 prospect pool.

I'd switch Columbus with them. If Nash is healthy most of the year they're pretty much a lock to make the playoffs in my book.
Hmmm...you are aware that they have Leclaire in net and Zherdev might play in Russia, right? All of a sudden we are up to three variables for them to be considered a "lock": Nash's health, Zherdev's contract and Leclaire's play as a starter.

Far from a "lock" when you consider all of that.

Old
07-24-2006, 03:26 AM
bland

San Jose's no lock for a division winner either. They lost Preissing, and their d-corp was already shakey. They have a budding goaltending controversy, and they will be relying on kids even more than Anaheim (Erhoff, Bernier, Michalek, Goc, Hennessey, etc.)

Their bottom six took a blow by losing McCauley and Thornton and adding only a badly faded Curtis Brown. The Bell pick-up was outstanding, but I'd like to see just how the youngsters react to more prominent roles before they are seen as the frontrunners.

Dallas is still a very good regular season squad, and it will be interesting to see what kind of return they will get for their surplus of veteran defensemen.

Anaheim will probably take a step back over the first few months of the season. They, like Edmonton, were a hot team, not a great one. They'll surge in early winter and challenge for the division later on. Their kids will have to carry the load, as Selanne will be in tough to match last years effort. Their PP will be downright scary, and their PK should be near the top of the league. I question their scoring ability at even strength, but they are so sound defensively that it shouldn't make much difference.

I see the Pacific as: (* = playoffs)

Dallas *
Anaheim *
San Jose *
Los Angeles
Phoenix

The Western conference:

Nashville
Calgary
Dallas
Detroit
Anaheim
San Jose
Minnesota
Columbus
Vancouver
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Chicago
Colorado
Phoenix
St. Louis

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 11:45 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
My guesses for the pacific are:Anaheim, Dallas, San Jose, Phoenix, LA.

Overall:
Calgary
Anaheim
Detroit
Nashville
Dallas
Minnesota
San Jose
Colorado
Edmonton
Phoenix
LA