HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Cam Barker info?

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

vCash: 500
Cam Barker info?

With the Caps absolutely stinking, and clearly ahead in the last overall race, I was trying to find some info about some of the high-ranked picks. Lots said about Ovechkin, but I was wondering if someone could fill me in on Barker, what kind of game he plays, etc.

Thanks.

Old
11-12-2003, 10:46 AM
moosefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
With the Caps absolutely stinking, and clearly ahead in the last overall race, I was trying to find some info about some of the high-ranked picks. Lots said about Ovechkin, but I was wondering if someone could fill me in on Barker, what kind of game he plays, etc.

Thanks.
seen him play a few games last year at the Canada Winter Games. This guy was the best all-around d-man at an impressive tournament. He had size, strength, and skill. He hits, he has great positional play, he is very strong on the ice, is able to take guys out with ease, he has very soft hands for a big guy and is very poised and calm when bringing the puck down the ice, has great passing ability and a good shot from the point, creates alot of offense and is able to pinch in once in awhile for some help in the offensive end. This guy was very very impressive for me as he is the complete package on defense.

Old
11-12-2003, 01:58 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosefan
seen him play a few games last year at the Canada Winter Games. This guy was the best all-around d-man at an impressive tournament. He had size, strength, and skill. He hits, he has great positional play, he is very strong on the ice, is able to take guys out with ease, he has very soft hands for a big guy and is very poised and calm when bringing the puck down the ice, has great passing ability and a good shot from the point, creates alot of offense and is able to pinch in once in awhile for some help in the offensive end. This guy was very very impressive for me as he is the complete package on defense.

I like Barker so much that he's #2 on my 2004 drafta list so far.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:04 PM
EroCaps

would a team like Carolina, w/Staal, or Columbus w/Nash and Zherdev be tempted to forgoe Ovechkin at #1 and pick this kid?

Old
11-12-2003, 05:08 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
would a team like Carolina, w/Staal, or Columbus w/Nash and Zherdev be tempted to forgoe Ovechkin at #1 and pick this kid?
No. If anything they would try to trade the #1 to a team looking for Ovechkin. Teams will overpay for him.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
I like Barker a lot but I'm not sure he's good enough to pass on a potential franchise player like Ovechkin. I don't think Barker is quite as good as say, Pitkanen and Bouwmeester, but I like him more than any of the big 3 from 2003 (Suter, Coburn, Phaneuf).

Old
11-12-2003, 06:30 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I like Barker a lot but I'm not sure he's good enough to pass on a potential franchise player like Ovechkin. I don't think Barker is quite as good as say, Pitkanen and Bouwmeester, but I like him more than any of the big 3 from 2003 (Suter, Coburn, Phaneuf).
Mike Rathje had the same hype and comes from the same team as Barker does.

Old
11-18-2003, 09:57 PM
kenabnrmal

Rathje...I've watched Barker play since he was 12...he had more puckhandling ability then than Rathje has now .

I'm a huge fan of his. I don't think anyone would pass on Ovechkin for anyone, but the team that gets Barker is getting an absolute stud. He's a great kid too.

Old
11-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Steve Latin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
Rathje...I've watched Barker play since he was 12...he had more puckhandling ability then than Rathje has now .

I'm a huge fan of his. I don't think anyone would pass on Ovechkin for anyone, but the team that gets Barker is getting an absolute stud. He's a great kid too.
How does he compare to Pronger? Does he have a mean streak?

S L

Old
11-19-2003, 09:26 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Latin
How does he compare to Pronger? Does he have a mean streak?

S L
I haven't seen him play this year, and I hadn't seen Pronger at his age, so its tough to say. My guess would be that he's more skilled, but with not as much size or strength. He does have a mean streak, though.

Closed Thread