HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

You think Comrie got easy bonuses... you should see Fleury's

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 12:39 PM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
You think Comrie got easy bonuses... you should see Fleury's

WTF was Pittsburgh thinking when they agreed to this deal?

Fleury will receive $400,000 if he reaches any one of these incentives: 20 victories
3.25 goals-against average
.890 save percentage
1,800 minutes played
four shutouts over the term of the contract
and a top-three finish in the Calder Trophy balloting this season.

Now, if he makes just 2 in his first year, he gets $4mil in bonus money (he needs to make 3 in the 2nd year and all 4 in the 4th year).

Now, that being said, he is on pace for at least 3 this year (GAA, Sv% and Calder).

If he gets the calder vote, that counts as 1 of the 3 he needs in the second year, and 1 of the 4 he needs in the third year. If he reaches 4 shutouts either this year or next year, that is 2 of 3 and 2 of 4.

Pittsburgh is really screwed... they need to keep Fleury in the NHL because they have no other goaltending (they traded Hedberg, and Caron has been horrible). But if they do keep him up, they will be paying him $15 mil over the next 3 years....

Old
11-11-2003, 12:44 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
WTF was Pittsburgh thinking when they agreed to this deal?

Fleury will receive $400,000 if he reaches any one of these incentives: 20 victories
3.25 goals-against average
.890 save percentage
1,800 minutes played
four shutouts over the term of the contract
and a top-three finish in the Calder Trophy balloting this season.

Now, if he makes just 2 in his first year, he gets $4mil in bonus money (he needs to make 3 in the 2nd year and all 4 in the 4th year).

Now, that being said, he is on pace for at least 3 this year (GAA, Sv% and Calder).

If he gets the calder vote, that counts as 1 of the 3 he needs in the second year, and 1 of the 4 he needs in the third year. If he reaches 4 shutouts either this year or next year, that is 2 of 3 and 2 of 4.

Pittsburgh is really screwed... they need to keep Fleury in the NHL because they have no other goaltending (they traded Hedberg, and Caron has been horrible). But if they do keep him up, they will be paying him $15 mil over the next 3 years....
Yet they will still suck and probably end up with Ovechkin and Crosby, move to Portland, get a sweet arena deal, win a few cups and Lemieux will earn all the money he got screwed out of when he decides to sell the team...I wish it could be this easy for the Oilers, but we would never tolerate being that bad (we couldn't afford it!!!) How ironic, we can't afford to be bad to have a shot at top picks, and we can't afford to challenge for the prize because we always have to trade our better players...

Old
11-11-2003, 12:48 PM
dawgbone

I'm just glad he isn't an Oiler...

My god... could you imagine him in all copper coloured goalie equipemnt bleh

Old
11-11-2003, 01:37 PM
momentai

Well, looks like Fleury is going back to the Screaming Eagles. Pittsburg won't have to pay those bonuses this year. But Canada gets their starting goalie back.

Old
11-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Boondock Saint

There's now a post on the Trade Rumors board claiming Fleury has been returned to Cape Breton.

I guess he was playing too well, and going to ruin their chance at Ovechkin.

Also, he will undoubtedly help our chances at the WJC, but this may possibly bump JDD from that squad.

I think it's a good call by the Pens though, to return him rather than letting him get shelled all season, like Blackburn did last year.

Old
11-11-2003, 01:49 PM
dawgbone

That isn't official...

If Fleury starts one more game, he is up permanently, and Ed Olczyk hasn't decided if he will use him again.

How can you not though... he is the NHL rookie of the month, and he is the only thing resembling a goaltender on the team. If they send him down, how will the fans react?

Not only that, but how will Fleury take it. He is showing that he is obviously more than capable of handling it, and may be very bitter over being returned to the Cape...

Old
11-11-2003, 01:50 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

JDD is a seive.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:14 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
JDD is a seive.
Thanks for coming, Senor Troll...

Old
11-11-2003, 02:19 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Thanks for coming, Senor Troll...
Im not a troll, im just telling the truth. Ive seen him play over 10 times and the guy cant stop the puck.

A 16 year old has stolen the #1 job from him.

He is over rated, he had 1 good year in junior.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:54 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That isn't official...

If Fleury starts one more game, he is up permanently, and Ed Olczyk hasn't decided if he will use him again.

How can you not though... he is the NHL rookie of the month, and he is the only thing resembling a goaltender on the team. If they send him down, how will the fans react?

Not only that, but how will Fleury take it. He is showing that he is obviously more than capable of handling it, and may be very bitter over being returned to the Cape...
He can be returned to Cape Breton at any point - it's just that if he plays another game, this year will count as the first year of his contract, where if he gets sent down now, the next year he is up will be the first year.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:55 PM
barto

Quote:
Im not a troll, im just telling the truth. Ive seen him play over 10 times and the guy cant stop the puck.

Well, at least I got your attention... When you make little statements like that, it looks like the work of a troll. Backing it up with reasons why you think that is different.

I can only go by having seen him play at the last two training camps here in Edmonton and he looked GREAT. Also most people suggested he should have made the WJC team last year but didn't mostly because of politics. But I hadn't heard how he was doing this year so far... Still, not playing well so far doesn't mean he's a "sieve", either. Young guys develop at different rates, some guys don't improve at all - we'll see which one JDD is, as I'm sure Edmonton will give him every opportunity to improve by being one of the goalies in Toronto next year.

Bart

Old
11-11-2003, 03:44 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Actually, Fleury ISN'T getting sent back to the juniors.
This will be his first contract year.

Old
11-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
Actually, Fleury ISN'T getting sent back to the juniors.
This will be his first contract year.

Link???

Old
11-11-2003, 04:33 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Link???
here it is:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...11_190042_4316

Old
11-11-2003, 04:51 PM
barto

Quote:

Between periods on the radio they were interviewing Chris somebody, who's an Oilers scout for college & junior who was making the rounds to see how their prospects are doing. He mentioned specifically that JDD is looking good and is ahead of their projections for him in terms of development at this stage, so I guess they disagree with your 'seive' characterization...

Bart

Old
11-12-2003, 04:07 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Between periods on the radio they were interviewing Chris somebody, who's an Oilers scout for college & junior who was making the rounds to see how their prospects are doing. He mentioned specifically that JDD is looking good and is ahead of their projections for him in terms of development at this stage, so I guess they disagree with your 'seive' characterization...

Bart

Perhaps he was at the game where JDD got a shutout?? He has looked mediocre this year. His save % is still decent at .902 but he is sharing starts with a 16 year old rookie.

I was never a big JDD fan, i always felt that he was over rated because he had 1 good season in Junior.

Also i was at the WJ tryouts in 2003 and he did look better than Lenevue.

1 more thing -- JDD seems to always play well at camps and tryouts, but his game in my opinion is lacking during league play. Perhaps he will turn out to be a stud goalie, but he is too inconsitant at this level.

Closed Thread