HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young guns development

Old
07-21-2006, 09:52 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Young guns development

How much will Pleks, Higgy, Komi and Zhogin develop this year? IMHO so much will be riding on this question this year.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I think Higgins will take it to the next level, and build off of his great second half season performance from last year.

Perezhogin may also, but i get the feeling he may take a few years in the bigs to make a major impact.

Pleks, and Komo will get better, but at a much slower pace imo.

Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:57 AM
phil

I think a big part of our succes (or downfall) will be directly related to the way they develop... I expect them to play as good if not better than last year... we all saw that Higgins was able to produce big time when on a decent line, plecks is a sound defensive center with nice offensive capacities... Komisarek was gaining confidence at the end of the year, he was hitting hard and playing sound defense and as for Perezhogin, well they must give him more chances and ice time with decent linemates if they want to see his full potential... but I believe we will see this this year

phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 09:57 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
How much will Pleks, Higgy, Komi and Zhogin develop this year? IMHO so much will be riding on this question this year.
I was not impressed last year by Perezhogin frankly, he didn't show me anything that meritted being played in the top 2 lines, specially with the prospects we have coming behind him.

Plekanec will be a good 2-way center in the NHL, 3rd line checker-penalty killer role but the question is... is he better than Chipchura? 2-3 from now who will be our 3rd line center? I would say Chipchura because of the intangibles he brings to the table in terms of leadership skills and lockerroom presence. Chipchura could very well be a future captain.

Komisarek I expect to develop into our no.2 D-Man this year. Already at the end of last year he was looking great. Think back to last year and try to remember more than 2-3 incidents of Komi getting beat a la Souray.. He was rock solid at the end of last season.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:00 AM
SOLR

I see Perez and Pleckanec improving overall. Not breakout. Better stats but nothing over the top.

Higgins will be a bit stronger, he might be our lead goal scorer by the end of the year. But overall he will depend with who he plays. The stats will take a beating if he get moved to the 2nd-3rd line.

Komi for me is the breakout year, he will start dominating the D zone and be a terrifying force.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Higgins will stay pretty much the same...let's hope he will have a good start because he seems to be more of a second half player...

I expect 50-55 points from him

Plekanec will start on the third line, but might see some PP and top 2 line minutes. He will be a good player for us, but he will not boom...

I expect 40-45 points

Perezhogin will not be consistent yet...he will be good, but not great. He will be a little bit like Afinogenov this year in the sence that he will create many scoring chances, but will not rack up the points. He will be the filler on the top 2 line in case of an injury.

I expect 30-35 points from him.

Komisarek will look more and more like our future wall on defence. He will not put many points on the board, but he will be rock solid in his zone. The right side will be pretty damn safe.

I expect 8-12 points from him

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 10:19 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Higgins will stay pretty much the same...let's hope he will have a good start because he seems to be more of a second half player...
I dont think thats true, he was a rookie in the past 2 years, thats why the first half was slower, since he was learning the level.

Old
07-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Fozz

I'll be happy if Higgins stays at the same level he was in the second half.

Plekanec will get better as he takes on more responsibilities, both offensively and defensively.

Komo will continue his progression. Slowly but surely in his case.

Perezhogin will, IMO, will have the greatest progression of all of them. He has great skills and speed. All he needs is confidence and adjustment to the speed of the NHL to improve dramatically.

Last edited by Fozz: 07-21-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 11:11 AM
frederixx

did you see them playing in the playoffs? IMO, that means alot...

so i'll go for a major improvement for Perezhogin and Plekanec. it all depens on the ice time they'll get. since they will be on a third line, they will have different responsabilities and might not get over 35-40pts. since Perezhogin is really gifted offensively, i wouldn't be surprise to see him take over Ryder or Higgins spot before christmas.

frederixx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 11:21 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I hope for a major improvement from Perezhogin and I think Pleks will be better. Hopefully all of them will be better, although take Higgins off Koivu's line and put Perezhogin or Pleks and they instantly get better, so it's hard to say if Higgins can repeat what he did if he's not playing with Koivu.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 11:24 AM
The CUBE

Higgins I think will be pretty close to how he was doing in the last half of the season (if he plays with Koivu)

Plekanec i think will have good progression as he takes on more offensive responsabilites especially if he plays with Johnson. And defensivley well, we all know he really good at that so.

Perezhogin, well he is one that I'm really nont sold on yet. Does he have the potential: yes. But it just seems that everytime he shows promise, he cancels it out with a bad play. But i do admit that we would need to let him play and make mistakes and ruin his confidence by juggling him around in the lines. The question is how long do we need to give him.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post

Perezhogin will, IMO, will have the greatest progression of all of them. He has great skills and speed. All he needs is confidence and adjustment to the speed of the

Agreed.

In certain flashes, Perezhogin showed me more than any rookie probably since Koivu. I think Carbonneau will give Alex the confidence and guidance that he needs.

I remember a time on a different board when the everyones opinions of Markov weren't as rosy as they are now, and that's putting it nicely. Eventhough it was painfully obvious he had more talent than any hab defenceman in years. I think Perezhogin is going through the same thing. People expected big things, when they didn't get the 50 goal rookie season they now want to ship him off as a throw-in on some trade.

Perezhogin will be the best of the sophmores next year.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Talent Analyst

Perezhogin adapt slowly to the NA style . But its something to got the skills , but its something else when like Zhogin work hard every shift . Perezhogin start to place bodychek . He's not a inconsistant player , maybe on the point sheet but not on the ice . And he's not a season player , because Zhogin play was better in the playoff . That show that he give his hearth to the team .. A team player !!

I expect if he play with Pleky and Jonhson 35-40 pts .

Higgins , is one of the best kind of player you can have with the new NHL . A gritty , speedy two-way player who can play on every situation . Plus , he can put important goal . An intelligent and opportunist player , look at his goal behind the net when he shoot on the back of the goaler .

I expect him 35-30 goal and 60 pts if he play all year with Koivu .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:04 PM
NewHabsEra*

It will be Perezhogin's year... He will show who he is.

Dont expect big numbers from Pleks without any PP time.. Im sure he can reach about 45-50 pts on the third line centering Perez and Jonhson with PK time... Give him more responsabilities offensively centering Samsonov and Kovalev and the kid will make Ribeiro look like a rookie.

Komisarek is probably the most underrated player in our line-up... I dont care about what he does offensively, defensively and physically he is a monster.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:04 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

I expect 50-55 points from him

Plekanec will start on the third line, but might see some PP and top 2 line minutes. He will be a good player for us, but he will not boom...

I expect 40-45 points

Perezhogin will not be consistent yet...he will be good, but not great. He will be a little bit like Afinogenov this year in the sence that he will create many scoring chances, but will not rack up the points. He will be the filler on the top 2 line in case of an injury.

I expect 30-35 points from him.

Komisarek will look more and more like our future wall on defence. He will not put many points on the board, but he will be rock solid in his zone. The right side will be pretty damn safe.

I expect 8-12 points from him
Great Analysis I think you hit it on the nail

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Talent Analyst

Pleky is too much overrated

Old
07-21-2006, 12:47 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
no he's not... he has a tremendous speed, great hands and a nice shot... si saying he's gonna be good isn'Mt overrating him

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 12:50 PM
SOLR

Quote:
I agree, he is offensively overated. He can have good flashes of production, but I doubt he will ever be a constant threat. Defensively he is very damn good, witch will limit is usage in an offensive role.

Old
07-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I agree, he is offensively overated. He can have good flashes of production, but I doubt he will ever be a constant threat. Defensively he is very damn good, witch will limit is usage in an offensive role.

I agree and he's a injury prone

Old
07-21-2006, 01:12 PM
The CUBE

Quote:
Quote:
I agree and he's a injury prone
I have to disagree on both comments.

How can you say he is injury prone when he's only had one (serious) injury. Personally I think that term is over used and applied to players with out really doing the re-search.

Plekanec is in no way overrated. He was one of our best players last year who gave a consistent effort and excellent defensive play.

As for his offence, He is one of the better passers on the team. Has an excellent saucer pass that always seems to land exactly where it needs to and his passes are 99% of the time on the tape. He has an accurate shot, not the hardest but very accurate.

Don;t get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a 80 points kind of guy, but i do think that if he's given more offensive repsponsabilites i.e: PP time, he will not let us down. He has the poise and patience and is willing to take the hit to make a play.

The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
That's why I think he's great for the team. The line up has many offensive minded players, so having a defensive centremen like Plakanec, with 2 good wingers (assuming it'll be Johnson and Perezhogin) gives more reason for Carboneau to use the 3rd line alot.

With Samsonov being very offensive minded, I would be surprised to see Ribeiro gone before mid-season (in some sort of a trade where we only get a prospect or a pick, maybe even a bottom pairing defencemen) so that Plakanec can play the second line, then Johnson playing centre on the third line with a rookie on wing.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:27 PM
wholeshow*

well if higgins plays on the first line with koivu all year, there's no reason why he won't be able to tally 65+ points. he was on pace to hit that during the second half of the year.
pleks can get 50, same with perezhogin...
considering both will get time on the 3rd line. having johnson on their line will really help. good veteran with solid speed that matches their own.

if any of these guys get ample pp time, look for the stats to increase.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Chfan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Who is more overatted?

Plekanec that almost played the whole season in Montreal, proven to be a great defensive player with good flashes of offensive skills in the NHL that putted up 29 points.

Or

Latendresse that played 2 PRE-SEASON games where the teams were all weaker than normally because they don't have the full lineup and putted up 5 points in 2 games. And for this he's god...

Oh wait, I forgot... Pleks european and Lats is from Quebec right?..

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:52 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I think he's been underrated since he was drafted. I myself have underrated him until he really showed my how good he was in Hamilton. What a PK duo he made with Higgins. I have no clue what his offensive upside is, but I think he's going to be a key player for us, hopefully for years. I love his shot and think he's got some nifty moves. I hope he has a huge year, I expect a lot from him next year, really enjoy watching him play and think that with more confidence he will really show fans what he can do.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
That's what people were saying about Marc Messier when he was playing on the 4th and 3rd line...

look at him now...its best if we don't listen to the naysayers and let the player prove himself what he can/can't do hmm?

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote