HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Sathers comments about Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Oilhitch

vCash: 500
Sathers comments about Comrie

Did you guys hear Sathers comments about Comrie on Sportsnet?

It was beautiful.

Basically said that Comrie should sign for whatever Lowe is offering, play and keep his mouth shut He also said to pass that on to Rich Winters.

Couldnt have been said by a better guy.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:51 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Did you guys hear Sathers comments about Comrie on Sportsnet?

It was beautiful.

Basically said that Comrie should sign for whatever Lowe is offering, play and keep his mouth shut He also said to pass that on to Rich Winters.

Couldnt have been said by a better guy.
and you expected MANAGEMENT to say someting different?

I can't understand why unions exist unless it is to combat the nonsensense that passes for mangement logic.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:53 PM
gretzky2kurri

Finally....

I thought this place would be lit up after those comments.

Man did I burst out laughing.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Shibumi

I too thought it was great. Way to go Slats. There is no love lost between Winters and Slats. It will have no effect though I am sure, but it was nice to hear.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Cujo_31

that was too hillarious.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:40 PM
gretzky2kurri

Tonight on CTVSportsnet Kypreos and Bill Watters were going at it pretty good about Comrie.

Watters feels it's time for Comrie to be a big boy and sign with the Oilers. He said he felt it's the only option MC has if he wants to play. He says Lowe won't make a deal just for the sake of making a deal.

Kipper argued that Comrie doesn't want to be there so shouldn't go for his personal reasons. He said if MC had a few bad games the fans would be all over him.

You may be right on that one Kipper, but Comrie made that bed. The bridge is now burned. Especially when over the week-end the Comrie camp displayed how badly he didn't want to be an Oiler. I don't want to be a Oiler THIS bad.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:46 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Kipper argued that Comrie doesn't want to be there so shouldn't go for his personal reasons. He said if MC had a few bad games the fans would be all over him.
It's true.

Personally, I don't think the Oilers should sign Comrie anyway. Why turn a Jimmy Carson situation into a Marc Savard situation?

If Comrie's signed and playing badly and unhappy and the fans are on him every time he touches the puck, it *will* become a distraction for the team, and it'll be obvious to everybody around the league that the Oilers *do* have to trade him soon. We'll be in a worse position, IMO.

Old
11-11-2003, 02:49 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM

I can't understand why unions exist unless it is to combat the nonsensense that passes for mangement logic.
Yup, I'm sure Slats and Lowe get together every morning over coffee to discuss how they can screw their players some more.

At least now I know why you're so pro-Comrie.

Old
11-11-2003, 03:56 AM
Yanner39

Kypreos is an idiot. I think he's still feeling the effects of his last concussion. It's one thing with being pro-player, but when it goes against common sense, he just looked like a fool last night. Even Watters seemed puzzled.

Old
11-11-2003, 04:10 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Kypreos is an idiot. I think he's still feeling the effects of his last concussion. It's one thing with being pro-player, but when it goes against common sense, he just looked like a fool last night. Even Watters seemed puzzled.
Well put, I felt the same way.

He acts like he's still in the NHLPA.

Old
11-11-2003, 04:16 AM
Meanashell11

I do not think I have ever heard Kypreos say anything worth listening to. He is anti-Oiler, always has been. As far as the union/management comment, enough said that the NHLPA has totally misread the economics of the game and is the cause of whats wrong with this league. Until they understand that rich guys got rich because they know how to invest/manage their money. Pi$$ing it down the drain to a bunch of self centred athletes who think they are owed the world because they have lit it up in juniors is a disgrace. I may be totally wrong here but other than playing entirely within the free agent rules, I never saw mark messier or wayne gretsky holdout or make threats. These guys have to understand they are ambassadors, thats why they get paid, and to play the us vs them when it hurts "the game" in the long run will only ensure there are no huge contracts for the future because the advertising revenue from tractor pulls is 5x that of a hockey game.

Old
11-11-2003, 04:56 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM

Comrie????? Is that you?

Old
11-11-2003, 05:51 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
I do not think I have ever heard Kypreos say anything worth listening to. He is anti-Oiler, always has been. As far as the union/management comment, enough said that the NHLPA has totally misread the economics of the game and is the cause of whats wrong with this league. Until they understand that rich guys got rich because they know how to invest/manage their money. Pi$$ing it down the drain to a bunch of self centred athletes who think they are owed the world because they have lit it up in juniors is a disgrace. I may be totally wrong here but other than playing entirely within the free agent rules, I never saw mark messier or wayne gretsky holdout or make threats. These guys have to understand they are ambassadors, thats why they get paid, and to play the us vs them when it hurts "the game" in the long run will only ensure there are no huge contracts for the future because the advertising revenue from tractor pulls is 5x that of a hockey game.
Some of the old guys here probably know for sure, but I think Messier and Coffey held out before the '87 season. I believe this is what lead to Coffey being dealt.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:06 AM
heavyhauler

when i heard slats say that about comrie i was laughing as well, i thought to myself.....good for comrie he's looking more and more like a big tit everyday.But i still hope he signs and plays for the oilers.

Did any one notice that once Hemmer was getting a lot of press last year about being so flashy and gifted that you could almost see Comries lip getting bigger every game? because everyone was talking about someone else being better.Maybe that leads into Comries comment about lowe telling him hes not the Franchise player or if Lowe didn't tell him that maybe he was just thinking it and starting to pout.
Any way i wish he would grow up put his skates on and prove to everyone that he's more then a second liner for the oilers.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:09 AM
Shibumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device
Some of the old guys here probably know for sure, but I think Messier and Coffey held out before the '87 season. I believe this is what lead to Coffey being dealt.
I can't say for sure on Messier but Coffey and Lowe definately held out which led to them being dealt. Fuhr as well but I think he was dealt well after his holdout ended. I am pretty sure Winters was Grant's agent as well. Anyone remember that press conference Fuhr and Winters gave from the golf cart?

Old
11-11-2003, 06:36 AM
Oilers1*

Surprised no one has mentioned this but. . .do Sather's comments rule out a Comrie-to-New-York deal?

Old
11-11-2003, 06:49 AM
Slats432

I don't think Sather will rule anything out to help that team. I for one am very disappointed in the job he has done in NY.(Personally, I think he would have been a way better GM in Phoenix than NY.)

As far as the Rags..if you look at Tjutin's stats in Hartford..he looks dominant.

Lundmark, Tjutin, 1st

for

Comrie, Luoma/Horacek

(Not the best deal I have seen for Comrie, but I don't think this one would make me barf my cookies.)

Old
11-11-2003, 07:58 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhauler
Did any one notice that once Hemmer was getting a lot of press last year about being so flashy and gifted that you could almost see Comries lip getting bigger every game? because everyone was talking about someone else being better.

I noticed that too...

I always loved his post-game comments re: Hemsky. Along the lines of "Yeah, he's got some talent, but he's still got a lot to learn" - as if Comrie was a 10 year veteran.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:28 AM
Oilhitch

Wow

Comrie is so high on himself. Nobody mentions it much anymore either. I recall back when he first came into the league people said he was pretty cocky.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:46 AM
PineJockey

No doubt. I liked it when Waters said "So he is going to cut off his nose to spite his face and not play for possibly two seasons". Kypreos says "well, would he be the first to do that?". To which Waters replies "No, but you think he would learn from watching others" and Kypreos just throws his hands up like Waters is a total fool. I really don't know what Kypreos thinks sometimes. I used to think that he was just outspoken and controversial just for the sake of being so, but now I actually think he really believes the nonsense he says. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin

Old
11-11-2003, 01:59 PM
barto

Comrie could make things a little easier on himself by signing just before another long road trip (when's the next one?) so as to get back into the NHL game on the road away from the lustily-booing fans back home. If he can play well enough, either Lowe can then trade him before he returns home, or the fans will give him some benefit of the doubt because he'd be helping the team significantly.

Seems hard to believe that he could step in and be contributing a lot after 4-5 games, but it's one idea that gets him back in an Oilers uniform without the crazy pressures there'd be on him to start at home...

Or else the Oilers figure out which game they're least likely to sell out, and have that be his first game back in Oilers silks...

Bart

Closed Thread