HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere headed to Montreal? - rumour

Old
07-23-2006, 02:36 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
He's small, but he does more than make up for it by his speed
Anyway...he would be replacing Ribs who isnt big either but dosent share the same speed nor have the same jump in his game.

Birère was on pace for a 100 point season in the new NHL while Ribeiro actualy regressed.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:37 PM
larue*

My 2 cents on all of this is,,,,,,,,,,,,Gainey is a smart GM.......Briere arbitration $5 mill. Gainey agrees to contract Ryder for 2.2mill. HAHA. In Gainey we trust.......and this is just the beginning.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Traitor8

Would you guys do Ryder,Ribeiro for Briere

this would open a spot on the top 3 lines for one of Latendresse or Andrei Kostitsyn

Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev
Higgins-Briere-Kostitsyn/Perezhogin
Johnson-Plekanec-Kostitsyn/Perezhogin

or

Samsonov-Briere-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Kostitsyn/Perezhogin
Johnson-Plekanec-Kostitsyn/Perezhogin

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Bryzga lol*

Man I hope Bob pulls this off...getting rid of Ribeiro in the process..Montreal would be completely stacked!

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:42 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8 View Post
Would you guys do Ryder,Ribeiro for Briere

this would open a spot on the top 2 lines for one of Latendresse or Andrei Kostitsyn
So what? Who knows if either could even put up 30 points let alone 30 goals.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:44 PM
wholeshow*

like someone else said, for us to attain briere we'll have to substanially overpay because we're a division rival. i'd rather not do that, and neither would gainey. BG is going to go with ribs until he can find a suitable replacement (Lang) that won't cost him an arm and a leg. if BG does not find the improvement at the center position, he's going to run with Ribs and hopes that he shows his vision and plays incredible between kovalev and samsonov. Ribeiro is going to have some dynamic forwards, so lets just see how he does. If he does jack squat, i'm sure briere will be available next offseason and we can attain him without giving up something of value. Bonks contracts will be off the books as will ribs...perhaps souray. With a heightened cap we can probably add briere without much maneuvering, and resign markov and rivet.

think long term, i believe our roster right now is very good. briere would make us better for sure, but i dont want to break our back to get him when its very likely that he'll be available next year.
p.s why the hell does gomez want 7 million?

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
So what? Who knows if either could even put up 30 points let alone 30 goals.
true but your gonna get some of the goals back by the replacement of Ribeiro by Briere..

Old
07-23-2006, 02:50 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Last year....
Brière.
48 games played
25 goals
33 assists
58 points

Ribeiro
79 games played
16 goals
35 assists
51 points.

Riebiero isnt half the player Brière is.
Of course Briere is a better player Ribs is, but you wont prove this with stats... Briere has centered Buffalo's top line for years while Ribs has been playing in a second line center role for the most part, you cant really compare their stats..

If you look at Briere's stats for the last few seasons as #1 center of his team, its nothing impressive.. again, it was Briere's first real good season where he played with a ton of dedication as the whole Sabres team... If you add the fact that he and Dumont were doing absoluly nothing early at the begin of the season before both get injured where the team seemed to go in the same direction as the years before and that the kids took things by their own and started to make this team highly competitive, you will find why Im not sold on Briere.. Briere and Dumont were seeing their team doing better without them than with... Then they came back from their injured and showed some pride jumping in the momentum the kids first created.

It makes me laugh to hear that Briere is sudenly a NHL star while he was considered a mediocre first line center no long ago... 5 millions for Briere is ridiculous at this point, he will have to prove he can compete at the same level again just like Koivu did several times in the past.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:50 PM
znk

some sort of package that would include Perez+Ribs
Would this work in any way shape or form? I guess it dosent free up enough money.

Old
07-23-2006, 02:54 PM
LeHab

What have Samsonov, Brière and Koivu have in common ?

All are talented, but all of them are also small and injury prone.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:54 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
some sort of package that would include Perez+Ribs
Would this work in any way shape or form? I guess it dosent free up enough money.
i calculated that we're around 42.1 milliom with 23 players.
+5 million in briere
-1.9+0.64 million in ribs and perez
=44.5 million

doesn't fit.

Old
07-23-2006, 02:55 PM
SPARTAKUS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by in gainey we trust View Post
Higgins Koivu Ryder
Samsonov Briere Kovalev

Buffalo is a cheap team, they set their own cap at several million under the leagues, so they are always cramped, and would drop salary if necessary.
Montreal isn't cheap I suppose. Oh yeah we all know that MTL are BIG spenders. I heard that Ottawa is also interested in Briere.

SPARTAKUS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:58 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
i calculated that we're around 42.1 milliom with 23 players.
+5 million in briere
-1.9+0.64 million in ribs and perez
=44.5 million

doesn't fit.
actually, yes
$41,371,807 +
$05,000,000 -
$01,900,000 -
$00,627,000
--------------
$43,844,807

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:59 PM
SPARTAKUS*

Buffalo would NEVER trade Briere for Ribiero are you guys crazy!!! C'mon be serious. Briere for Koivu that makes more sense. Of course if Koivu is 100% healthy.

SPARTAKUS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:02 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Of course Briere is a better player Ribs is, but you wont prove this with stats... Briere has centered Buffalo's top line for years while Ribs has been playing in a second line center role for the most part, you cant really compare their stats..

If you look at Briere's stats for the last few seasons as #1 center of his team, its nothing impressive.. again, it was Briere's first real good season where he played with a ton of dedication as the whole Sabres team... If you add the fact that he and Dumont were doing absoluly nothing early at the begin of the season before both get injured where the team seemed to go in the same direction as the years before and that the kids took things by their own and started to make this team highly competitive, you will find why Im not sold on Briere.. Briere and Dumont were seeing their team doing better without them than with... Then they came back from their injured and showed some pride jumping in the momentum the kids first created.
It makes me laugh to hear that Briere is sudenly a NHL star while he was considered a mediocre first line center no long ago... 5 millions for Briere is ridiculous at this point, he will have to prove he can compete at the same level again just like Koivu did several times in the past.
You should check your facts.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...fkP91Zk.9ivLYF
In october 11 games played 9 goals 4 assists.
In late october Miller got hurt and a couple of games later they lost 10-4 to ottawa and the team went in to a donward spiral for a while.
Then from mid november he tried to play thru his injury and it affected his production.

Old
07-23-2006, 03:03 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTSENS View Post
Buffalo would NEVER trade Briere for Ribiero are you guys crazy!!! C'mon be serious. Briere for Koivu that makes more sense. Of course if Koivu is 100% healthy.
Heh...use your deductive powers. People are talking of Ribeiro being part of the deal....not behing THE deal.

Old
07-23-2006, 03:04 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1 View Post

briere isn't injury prone.
from 98-9o to 00-01 he played half and half in the AHL and NHL
in 01-02 he missed 4 games
in 02-03 all 82 games were played between phoenix and buffalo
in 03-04 all 82 games were played
in 05-06 he had abdominal surgery and missed 34 games (more points than ribs)

not injury prone.

samsonov on the other hand does have a surgery, he missed most of 2 seasons on DL but before that he was pretty much healthy..missing only a few games in each season. sammy missed 8 games last year.
koivu...we all know about him. but the last few seasons he's been looking more healthy. hope its a signs of things to come.

Old
07-23-2006, 03:05 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1 View Post

I refer you to this post....
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...fkP91Zk.9ivLYF
Before this last season breire only missed 4 games in 3 seasons. Verry injury prone...

Old
07-23-2006, 03:07 PM
trakis

[QUOTE=Habsp;6102605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakis View Post
Living in montreal i have alot of friends who r habs fans and all they all say the same thing RYDER MUST BE THE WORST 30 GOAL SCORER OF ALL TIME.

I don't believe you. What are your friends names? Whadda load of crap.
i live in laval

trakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:10 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
actually, yes
$41,371,807 +
$05,000,000 -
$01,900,000 -
$00,627,000
--------------
$43,844,807
im counting downey's, kosts and streits contracts into my calcs to get the 23 man roster.
if we go by your way, we're WAY to close to the cap and bob is not going to let that happen. im not sure anyone is going to take bonk in a salary dump, and trading aebi for a pick wont do his value any justice IMO.

Old
07-23-2006, 03:13 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
im counting downey's, kosts and streits contracts into my calcs to get the 23 man roster.
if we go by your way, we're WAY to close to the cap and bob is not going to let that happen. im not sure anyone is going to take bonk in a salary dump, and trading aebi for a pick wont do his value any justice IMO.
I just don't count Kostitsyn, whatever

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsp View Post

i live in laval
That would explain it.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
I just don't count Kostitsyn, whatever
We are at $42,154,607 according to the salary information we know about for the default 23-man roster. (But not counting any unknown bonuses or unheard-of unknown-of little extras that always seem to be out there).

Putting Briere's $5M onto our roster is just not going to be worth it, IMO, no matter how you get him there. Would we trade Ribeiro and liquidate Bonk or somebody? I just would rather step aside and let the madness play out on somebody else's dime. If I'm the Sabres, maybe I decide to be the first (of many) GMs to just walk away and let the Stillman Protocol fall on Briere's head. Briere is a nice little player, but he hasn't done enough to deserve to be a $5M player before hitting the open market. Slash and burn time, the NHL GMs need to get tough or things will get out of hand. Let Briere walk, let somebody eventually sign him for $3.5M.

I'm glad we sidestepped the Ryder case. Kudos Bob.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 07-23-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Living in montreal i have alot of friends who r habs fans and all they all say the same thing RYDER MUST BE THE WORST 30 GOAL SCORER OF ALL TIME.
That's still 30 goals, on a year he was playing injured for a big chunk of the year. He potted 25 playing with the "useless" Ribeiro in his rookie season. Those are pretty impressive numbers, and give him a place in the NHL even if he did nothing else (which, as it turns out is not the case).

ECHL... right.

Quote:
And ribiero is worthless. He was benched at times during the year. Hes soft and pretty useless in every aspect. Why dont you think he hasent been traded yet its because noone wants him.
I rather think it's because Gainey has not found a second-line center who is actually better than Ribeiro. Those are rare, believe it or not, and the teams that have them usually keep them.

Ribeiro gets a terrible, and largely undeserved, rap on these boards, but he is quite good. Good enough that of all the centers available on the UFA market, only Arnott was a clear improvement.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Traitor8

Ryder + Ribeiro = 4.1 M $

Briere - Ryder - Riberio + Kostitsyn = 1.5 - 1.9 M $

We can afford it especially if we trade Aebischer for a pick