HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OKAY, all hands on deck!

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 04:47 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
OKAY, all hands on deck!

I know alot of people feel the need for a centerman. I mean it's very obvious. Comrie is sitting, Reasoner is now hurt. And basically the on going search for centerman here over the years.

But what I've seen this season (especially on this road trip) is a defensive corps that looks terrified in their own end. I won't let the forwards off either though. But I feel we can make them more responsible.

What I haven't seen is a team struggling to score goals.

I think Comrie and BG perhaps to land some reliable experienced pluggers back there would do wonders. I don't want the focus on flair.

More steak less sizzle.

Guys that know how/when to block shots.........know how to get it out......how to clear bodies in front.

I know we need a centerman (we're dying on the dot), but I have alot of confidence in this teams offense.

It's their own end that's losing them hockey games, not their inability to score a goal.

If a centerman AND a D-man come back in a multi-player trade..........I want the center-peice of that trade to be a sturdy d-man.

Tell my why I'm wrong.........I dare you.....

Old
11-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Hemsky01

Tell my why I'm wrong......[/QUOTE]
Because they already have 2 of those "steak" type d-men in Smith and Stiaos. If they need anything on their defense, it is a smooth d-man who can make a good first pass without the MAB mistakes.(i.e.Rachunek)

Old
11-11-2003, 04:58 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
Tell my why I'm wrong......
Because they already have 2 of those "steak" type d-men in Smith and Stiaos. If they need anything on their defense, it is a smooth d-man who can make a good first pass without the MAB mistakes.(i.e.Rachunek)[/QUOTE]How dare you!

Perhaps I used the plumber angle too much. A first pass would be a god-send to this club, as long as he can play good in his own end when he DOESN'T have the puck too.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Lowetide

imo they should wait until the off season unless they can make a deal that overwhelms them soon for this very reason. It's hard enough to evaluate what the team needs are in the off season, it's almost impossible to do it now.

Salo's play has plunged the G situation into some doubt, the dmen take turns making suicide passes and the center situation is clearly a worry, especially against a team like Boston with dominant centers like Thornton and Rolston.

I don't know what they should trade Comrie for, but agree with Lowe that prospects aren't needed. The cupboard's full in terms of the system.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:05 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
ok i know i haven't seen Salo play this year at all but a part of me still believes that he can still provide good numbers if his defence doesn't constantly make brain farts all the time

g2k your bang on we need someone who knows how to play defence ok we're losing faceoffs but hey we're scoring goals so we can look at that a little later right now there are too many goals against over the past four games we have conceded 15goals....15 GOALS !!!!

That is waay to much.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Hemsky01

I think the Oilers have 2 needs that you could say are huge. They desperately need a #1 centre( or just a centre) and a goaltender (unless Conklin keeps going). Right now Gagne looks very inviting.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:13 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
ok i know i haven't seen Salo play this year at all but a part of me still believes that he can still provide good numbers if his defence doesn't constantly make brain farts all the time

g2k your bang on we need someone who knows how to play defence ok we're losing faceoffs but hey we're scoring goals so we can look at that a little later right now there are too many goals against over the past four games we have conceded 15goals....15 GOALS !!!!

That is waay to much.
I agree, but I guess it's a double edged sword too. If the centerpiece of a trade is a stud d-man. And we still SUCK on the dot........goals will still be going in. I know on this road trip a few goals came from a lost draw. I consider it a turn-over.

I guess I would be happy if the center-peice was a stud on D, with a cheap BIG centerman that's good in the circle. We seem to have pretty good offense on this club so a goal scoring center isn't as important, just one good on the dot whose cheap.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Hemsky01

Quote:

That is waay to much.
I'm starting to think all the scoring that happens is coming from forwards not coming back. And faceoffs have a huge play in your goals against. What is a bad sign is as soon as the defenseman gets the puck in our zone the oilers forwards are going full speed ahead(and yes, they can all skate fast ). So that means if the dman should happen to give the puck away, it 3 on 1.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:21 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
I'm starting to think all the scoring that happens is coming from forwards not coming back. And faceoffs have a huge play in your goals against. What is a bad sign is as soon as the defenseman gets the puck in our zone the oilers forwards are going full speed ahead(and yes, they can all skate fast ). So that means if the dman should happen to give the puck away, it 3 on 1.
thats true i just wish i could see some oiler games so i could argue this point completely the only thing i can go on is assumption, reports and commentary.

but for sure yes both factors do make a huge difference perhaps with the forwards knowing there is a weakness in the outlet pass they shouldn't be going gungho to the opposing blueline hoping that good ol' Cory Cross and Steve Ferguson bring the puck up with them coz somebody should tell 'em that half the oilers don't move like Bryan Berard or Brian Leetch.

As for the faceoffs yes I was pointing out last year about how important puck possession is to the oilers as if the opposition hasn't got the puck how can they score?

To me this is bad coaching between defense and forwards if what you say is true which ultimately lays blame IMO to MacT, we wanted goals well Craig Simpson provided it so you can't fault him for that.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Hemsky01

Quote:

To me this is bad coaching between defense and forwards if what you say is true which ultimately lays blame IMO to MacT, we wanted goals well Craig Simpson provided it so you can't fault him for that.
Is it bad coaching that the Oil can't win a faceoff?

Old
11-11-2003, 05:32 PM
The Rage

Yes.

Old
11-11-2003, 05:32 PM
rabi_sultan

no its bad coaching that they know the outlet passes suck so they could try a gradual buildup from the back as opposed to launching the forwards up the ice and hoping the puck gets there. but like i said im only commenting on what i'm hearing not what iv seen so i'm probably wrong.

As for coaching the faceoffs most of it can be coached yes the rest of it no but like someone (i think lowetide) said its unfair to expect us to come away with a massive total of won faceoffs against Thornton and Rolston who are premium faceoff players when they are drawn against the likes of Horcoff, Stoll, Sarno, need i go on?

Old
11-11-2003, 05:54 PM
copperaddict

I agree!After watching Brashear beat up on another Islander,they may be prime for the picking.They have a number of players that would help the Oil.They have more guys buried by mad mike in the farm system that could help us as well as to many dman on their roster.I have a feeling Lowe won't be so passive this time like he has been in the past.
I have noticed the Oil have a real hard time on the PP with teams that are aggressive(harder than one's that sit back anyway).Yet with their own PK they sit back in the box waiting and are getting hurt bad with this style.It seems more logical to me anyway that they may want to try the system that makes them look so bad.It can't make their PK any worse then it already is.

Closed Thread