HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie for a goalie?

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Seachd

vCash: 500
Comrie for a goalie?

Brownlee says in this article that maybe the Oilers should think about getting a goalie for Comrie.

I have to disagree. Personally, there's no way I would move Comrie for a goalie, because I believe I'd be overpaying. Comrie will never land a big-name goalie (including young guys like Luongo and Lehtonen), but is too much for guys like Boucher, Johnson, Hurme, Kiprusoff, Toskala, etc.

If a goalie happens to get thrown into any Comrie deal, great. But I would hate to see a goalie as the main return for him.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:11 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Depends on the goalie.

If the Oilers could get a guy who could be a #1 for several years at a lot less money than Salo, then sure. In fact I'd be willing to add to Comrie to get a quality goalie who could be our #1 next season and for a few years into the future.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Yanner39

I'd have to go with Searchd on this. Personally, I want to see a player that will score and generate offense. In Comrie's absence, no one has stood up to assume that role. I would have thought that Chimera or Horcoff would have. The only time I want to see Comrie and a goalie as part of the same deal is if the deal is a bigger one a goalie is added to any package for Comrie +.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:41 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Waitwait wait...

The team is scoring 3 goals per game while our starting goalie has the worst stats in hockey and was just sent home halfway through a road-trip due to a phantom groin-strain, and you're more concerned about offense than goaltending?

Scru dat.

Let's think big picture for a moment. In the big picture, Salo is gone after this season, leaving us with Conklin and Valiquette as our goaltending tandem. Lowe had better figure out quickly whether they have enough cheddar to cut it as #1 goalies in the NHL, and act accordingly.

edit: hang on, I missed this part
Quote:
The only time I want to see Comrie and a goalie as part of the same deal is if the deal is a bigger one a goalie is added to any package for Comrie +.
which I agree with completely.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:55 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Brownlee says in this article that maybe the Oilers should think about getting a goalie for Comrie.

I have to disagree. Personally, there's no way I would move Comrie for a goalie, because I believe I'd be overpaying. Comrie will never land a big-name goalie (including young guys like Luongo and Lehtonen), but is too much for guys like Boucher, Johnson, Hurme, Kiprusoff, Toskala, etc.

If a goalie happens to get thrown into any Comrie deal, great. But I would hate to see a goalie as the main return for him.
Unless I could get a big-time #1, and then deal Horcoff+Rita or w/e to someone for a center, no chance of dealing Comrie for a goalie. Not to mention, we'd have to find someone to take Salo off our hands.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:59 AM
USC Trojans
AD

The scoring has been okay. They could use a little more oomph on their top line, but I don't see too much of a problem in the offensive department. The key is to find a defense and/or a goalie who doesn't give up the backbreaking goal. When you're up 3-0 (like in St. Louis), and you give up three quick goals, your whole team will lose momentum and confidence.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:07 AM
xauxi

I would just wait and see how Conklin is doing. He may very well be doing a great job that we may not need a new starting goalie or Salo's revival for now. I would like to see Conklin blossom here and I have better faith on him than on Salo in the net...still too early to tell, but it is not impossible.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

interesting note*

me and my best bud were on our way to see our family for long weekend and we were listening to the toronto/oil game on ched, i got to cussing about Salo after Reicel's phantom goal, and we started talking trade.

my buddy is a die hard rangers fan (since messier won em the cup in 94) sucks to be him since then though, lol. but he came up with an interesting transition that i would laugh at if it happened.

he said if he was slats, he'd deal lundmark and blackburn for comrie.

i would love to see this deal go down with us probably giving up chim or horc as well.

however i wouldnt want blackburn playing this yr, id want him to develop, so maybe we tough it out with conklin/salo and then hope let salo go this summer. Conklin, Deslaurias and Blackburn will give us top notch goaltending for the next 8-10 years.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Waitwait wait...

The team is scoring 3 goals per game while our starting goalie has the worst stats in hockey and was just sent home halfway through a road-trip due to a phantom groin-strain, and you're more concerned about offense than goaltending?

Scru dat.

Let's think big picture for a moment. In the big picture, Salo is gone after this season, leaving us with Conklin and Valiquette as our goaltending tandem. Lowe had better figure out quickly whether they have enough cheddar to cut it as #1 goalies in the NHL, and act accordingly.

edit: hang on, I missed this part which I agree with completely.

Good point. Hopefully, Conklin will buy these Oilers a bit of time. If the best deal presented to Lowe is for a goalie, then I agree that it may be the best thing.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:39 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
The scoring has been okay. They could use a little more oomph on their top line, but I don't see too much of a problem in the offensive department. The key is to find a defense and/or a goalie who doesn't give up the backbreaking goal. When you're up 3-0 (like in St. Louis), and you give up three quick goals, your whole team will lose momentum and confidence.
This team would however, be much better with a decent center for our first line.

For instance, doesn't this team:

Smyth-Connolly/Kozlov-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Pisani-Reasoner-Moreau
Laraque/Salmelainen-Sarno/Stoll-Chimera/Isbister (at least one would be traded of those players, likely Isbister if it could be done)

Brewer(23min)-Semenov(16min)
Smith(22min)-Cross(18min)
Staios(25min)-Bergeron(16min)
(D in no order, estimated minutes based on 120/game)

Biron/Noronen/Hurme/Gerber/Hackett
Conklin

Look measurably better than the one we have now? You could even flip one of our d+ for a different d-man if you wanted to, because of the depth.

There's also an element to defence that many people are forgetting, the better your forwards, the less work your defence has to do. Adding a good center would allow the top line to control the puck and keep the play in the opposition zone more often, as well as aid in our breakout. Many people often forget this. Sometimes, the best defence is a good offence.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:46 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Blackburn doesn't solve the Oilers immediate goaltending problems...

Hell, the kid gotten eaten up by New York, the same thing is going to happen here, probably worse.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:05 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Well actually, the Oilers goaltending situation has been on thin ice for the past several years already. We've been riding on Salo way too much and throughout the years our backups have been Bill Ranford, Dominic Roussel, Joaqin Gage, and Jussi Markkanen...this is hardly reassuring if Salo goes down with an injury.
During those years I'd be asking myself, what if? what if Salo does get injured? Then we're screwed. Luckily for the management Salo has been healthy enough to put up 70 games a year and you can bet on Lowe counting his blessings if Conklin turns out to be solid now that Tommy has struggled.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:04 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Er, weren't most of us asking why "The Juice" wasn't getting more starts, when his stats were a fair bit better than Salo's?

Last year was a little frustrating on the goaltending front- seemed to me that it was catch-22... If Salo was playing well, they kept playing him- why mess with success? If Salo was struggling, they kept playing him- gotta give him a chance to play through his slump.

Seems to me that this is about the part of last season that Jiri Dopita finally ran out of patience with Lowe and/or MacTavish. I believe it was when the Oilers got lit by the Bruins during the annual November road trip that Dopie became a healthy scratch. I can't help thinking that this "groin injury" that sent Salo home was awfully convenient.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:07 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Er, weren't most of us asking why "The Juice" wasn't getting more starts, when his stats were a fair bit better than Salo's?

Last year was a little frustrating on the goaltending front- seemed to me that it was catch-22... If Salo was playing well, they kept playing him- why mess with success? If Salo was struggling, they kept playing him- gotta give him a chance to play through his slump.

Seems to me that this is about the part of last season that Jiri Dopita finally ran out of patience with Lowe and/or MacTavish. I believe it was when the Oilers got lit by the Bruins during the annual November road trip that Dopie became a healthy scratch. I can't help thinking that this "groin injury" that sent Salo home was awfully convenient.
A fair bit better?

.20 GAA better
.06 sv% better

hardly numbers to write home about.

Everyone seems to forget that Jussi's numbers dropped a lot more (proportionately) than Salo's did.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Depends on the goalie.

If the Oilers could get a guy who could be a #1 for several years at a lot less money than Salo, then sure. In fact I'd be willing to add to Comrie to get a quality goalie who could be our #1 next season and for a few years into the future.
That's the problem. I don't know know of too many PROVEN #1 goalies who fit that scenario.

Blackburn is still too young. Hurme is unproven as #1. Dafoe is not proving he can still be a strong #1 in Atlanta. Kiprusoff looks promising, but is unproven. Boucher is much like Dafoe, losing value in Phoenix. Vokoun shows some promise, but I don't know why Nashville would get rid of him after trading away Dunham. Gerber has only backup experience...

I think the Oilers are missing a #1 center. A #1/2 defender. And now a #1 goalie. Sigh........ The only goalie of real experience and worth is way overpriced Cujo. Otherwise, I'd say stick with Conklins and Valiquette. If they fail, hope Salo is healed by then. Otherwise we take a huge risk trading for an backup netminder who might or might not be better than our current goalies.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Asiaoil

I've been droaning on to no in particular about a Comrie for Blackburn deal for months - and I still think its a good idea. Keep him in Toronto until the trade deadline when we may be able to ditch Salo - then platoon Blackburn with Conks for the last part of the season and next year.

As for the center issue - just trade Rita or Horcoff/Chimera to Atlanta for Stefan. That get's us another #2/3 guy who is bigger and frees Resoner up to play with Hemsky and Smyth or Smyth and Izzy part-time. Basically we've got to wait and hope for MAP or Niinimaki to developinto #1 centers.

I've got no quick answers for the dman problem

Old
11-10-2003, 06:09 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
I've been droaning on to no in particular about a Comrie for Blackburn deal for months - and I still think its a good idea. Keep him in Toronto until the trade deadline when we may be able to ditch Salo - then platoon Blackburn with Conks for the last part of the season and next year.

As for the center issue - just trade Rita or Horcoff/Chimera to Atlanta for Stefan. That get's us another #2/3 guy who is bigger and frees Resoner up to play with Hemsky and Smyth or Smyth and Izzy part-time. Basically we've got to wait and hope for MAP or Niinimaki to developinto #1 centers.

I've got no quick answers for the dman problem
There's a problem. Niinimaki doesn't appear to have the offensive skill to be a #1, and Pouliot I believe most people think will wind up a #2, besides, waiting for those 2 would be waiting past prime-time for players we need to have a good center for. Go to Buffalo, trade Horcoff+ for Connolly.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:52 PM
GorillazXL

I would agree with Serchd, trading Comrie for a goalie is not worth the return. I think we can play with the Conklin/Salo tandem for the time being. We've got JDD a couple years away and Comrie had trade value that could land us a good top six forward or top three d man who will last for years to come.

GXL

Old
11-11-2003, 04:41 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
I would agree with Serchd, trading Comrie for a goalie is not worth the return. I think we can play with the Conklin/Salo tandem for the time being. We've got JDD a couple years away and Comrie had trade value that could land us a good top six forward or top three d man who will last for years to come.

GXL
How about this deal, Comrie for Thibault. That would be great for the oil. Thibault is a great goalie that would give us a chance to win every night! Apparantly he might be able to be had in a trade.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
How about this deal, Comrie for Thibault. That would be great for the oil. Thibault is a great goalie that would give us a chance to win every night! Apparantly he might be able to be had in a trade.
Thibault is out with a hip injury.