HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2008 prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2006, 07:47 PM
  #26
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 38,445
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6jagr8 View Post
John Travers is a 2008 or 2009?
You must be thinking Tavares... he's an 09 and is a clear favorite to go #1 overall at this point.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 07:53 PM
  #27
Fedz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Campbell River, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
You must be thinking Tavares... he's an 09 and is a clear favorite to go #1 overall at this point.
Not so sure I'd say that anymore with a few other players being just as good just not with the same kind of exposure this kid has had.

Kuchin, and Anthony are pretty damn good players too.

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 07:53 PM
  #28
Pothier
Registered User
 
Pothier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6jagr8 View Post
John Travers is a 2008 or 2009?
John Tavares is 2009 eligible.

Scary, I know.

Pothier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 07:55 PM
  #29
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 38,445
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Not so sure I'd say that anymore with a few other players being just as good just not with the same kind of exposure this kid has had.

Kuchin, and Anthony are pretty damn good players too.
This could very well be true. I haven't seen ANYTHING from Kuchin yet, so I really have no clue what kind of game he plays or how good he will be. Hopefully I get the chance in the next year.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 07:59 PM
  #30
Fedz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Campbell River, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
This could very well be true. I haven't seen ANYTHING from Kuchin yet, so I really have no clue what kind of game he plays or how good he will be. Hopefully I get the chance in the next year.
Definitely. He could be a great player, but I wonder what his main position is at times with how much he gets moved around. He could be just as successful at defense as forward in my opinion.

How are those Canes and Lacerte looking, by the way?

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 08:03 PM
  #31
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 38,445
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Definitely. He could be a great player, but I wonder what his main position is at times with how much he gets moved around. He could be just as successful at defense as forward in my opinion.

How are those Canes and Lacerte looking, by the way?
haha, as long as he keeps going like he is in the league the Calder looks likely. Putting him on a line with Staal and Williams on run and gun = goal fest.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 08:04 PM
  #32
Fedz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Campbell River, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
haha, as long as he keeps going like he is in the league the Calder looks likely. Putting him on a line with Staal and Williams on run and gun = goal fest.
Nash is doing much the same for me, but I can't see to string some wins together, which is frustrating.

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 08:36 PM
  #33
Blackjag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Not so sure I'd say that anymore with a few other players being just as good just not with the same kind of exposure this kid has had.

Kuchin, and Anthony are pretty damn good players too.
i've definitely heard about Tavares and heard a bit of Kuchin too but who is the anthony fellow

Blackjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2006, 08:49 PM
  #34
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,280
vCash: 500
Steve Anthony is a poor man's Crosby. Outrageous numbers and they're both from Nova Scotia.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 12:03 PM
  #35
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Steve Anthony is a poor man's Crosby. Outrageous numbers and they're both from Nova Scotia.
Steve Anthony to me, looks like he is going to be a Joe Thornton clone

Andrei Kuchin to me looks like an Alexander Mogilny type

Tavares is the fav right now, just like Spezza was but Anthony and Kuchin, Rajala, Paajarvi, could all catch up come draft time. Never know what till happen, just like Spezzas draft, no one thought anyone would surpass Spezza, Kovachluck when 1st that year

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 01:17 PM
  #36
BondraTime
Registered User
 
BondraTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 10,746
vCash: 500
Chris Doyle. I know he is a 90', but im not sure if he is a late birthday, i think he is a 08' eligible player. Ive played with him and i belive he could be a high pick in that draft. Probably top 3 scorers in the draft class.

As for the 09' draft, again im not sure if these two have late birthdays, but what about Travis Randell and Brandon Street, two Newfs.


Last edited by BondraTime: 08-07-2006 at 01:18 PM. Reason: forgot his name, haha
BondraTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
  #37
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfibullet View Post
Chris Doyle. I know he is a 90', but im not sure if he is a late birthday, i think he is a 08' eligible player. Ive played with him and i belive he could be a high pick in that draft. Probably top 3 scorers in the draft class.

As for the 09' draft, again im not sure if these two have late birthdays, but what about Travis Randell and Brandon Street, two Newfs.

Chris Doyle is awsome eh and he is 2008, fast skater, great hands and one of the best shooters and goal scorers I have seen.

Travis Randell IMO will be a top 10 pick if he keeps going the way he is for 2009, hits like a truck, super strong, super smooth on the ice, great passer with knowledge and vision, and a good goal scorer, plays two was to.

When I seen Street he was hurt, so I am not going to make any claims with him because he was not impressive, but he was hurt at the time.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 06:20 PM
  #38
Blackjag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
Steve Anthony to me, looks like he is going to be a Joe Thornton clone

Rajala, Paajarvi, could all catch up come draft time...
i might need some more explanation

Blackjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 06:47 PM
  #39
Big Daddy
Registered User
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 841
vCash: 500
I like Luke Schenn, dman from Kelowna. He's an 89 but is 08 eligible. Has good size, very physical, good first pass, and hockey sense.

I also like Kyle Beach from Everett. Big kid, skilled, very physical and certainly a kid who gets under opposing players skin. Hope he can control his temper though.

Lance Bouma is a kid from Vancouver. Very impressive in his call ups last season.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 09:04 AM
  #40
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjag View Post
i might need some more explanation
there really isn't much to explain in 2009 SO FAR there are the big 5:

1. John Tavares
2. Steve Anthony
3. Andrei Kuchin
4. Magnus Paajarvi
5. Toni Rajala

come draft time anyone of these 5 players could catch up and pass Tavares, no matter how good Tavares is right now, you are never a lock as Jason Spezza proved that time where everyone thought no one would catch him and Kovalchuk came out to surpass him in the draft.

All 5 of these players are extremley extroidinary players.

and for the Steve Anthonoy comparison, he is big, skates like the wind, agilie, great vision and awarness, great passer and anticipation, likes to score goals as well, uses his big frame, always creating offense out there, very poised and a very slick puck handler with good moves. He has to learn to use his body more to hit but besides that the way he plays on the ice is like Thornton.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 11:04 AM
  #41
Juan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
there really isn't much to explain in 2009 SO FAR there are the big 5:

1. John Tavares
2. Steve Anthony
3. Andrei Kuchin
4. Magnus Paajarvi
5. Toni Rajala

come draft time anyone of these 5 players could catch up and pass Tavares, no matter how good Tavares is right now, you are never a lock as Jason Spezza proved that time where everyone thought no one would catch him and Kovalchuk came out to surpass him in the draft.

All 5 of these players are extremley extroidinary players.

and for the Steve Anthonoy comparison, he is big, skates like the wind, agilie, great vision and awarness, great passer and anticipation, likes to score goals as well, uses his big frame, always creating offense out there, very poised and a very slick puck handler with good moves. He has to learn to use his body more to hit but besides that the way he plays on the ice is like Thornton.
Kuchin played at the Prospects tourney in Toronto back in May. I'm not informed as to what he had done before playing in Toronto, but he did very little there to suggest to me that he should come close to being placed in any "big 5" of top overall players.

As I posted at the time, he has quick, soft hands, some nice dangles and a deceptive shot, but that's about it. Couldn't really judge his skating, because he never took more than a few strides without coasting around. He didn't chase down loose pucks, he goalsucked and he bailed out on a couple of hits in the final game in the kind of blatant way that would make most Major Junior coaches tell him to take off his gear between periods. One of those players you like from 20 feet out, but hate in the other 180 feet.

My bottom line request: please don't hype this guy into another message boards legend without watching him play first.

Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:46 PM
  #42
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Kuchin played at the Prospects tourney in Toronto back in May. I'm not informed as to what he had done before playing in Toronto, but he did very little there to suggest to me that he should come close to being placed in any "big 5" of top overall players.

As I posted at the time, he has quick, soft hands, some nice dangles and a deceptive shot, but that's about it. Couldn't really judge his skating, because he never took more than a few strides without coasting around. He didn't chase down loose pucks, he goalsucked and he bailed out on a couple of hits in the final game in the kind of blatant way that would make most Major Junior coaches tell him to take off his gear between periods. One of those players you like from 20 feet out, but hate in the other 180 feet.

My bottom line request: please don't hype this guy into another message boards legend without watching him play first.

actually there, maybe you should ask before you assume, I did see him play with the east cost selects, and he was one of the most dominante players on the ice along with Matt Duchene. Kuchin was awsome and displayed speed on his skates, he did glid when he got into the attacking zone, but he was already moving faster than the other players even when gliding. He does have nice dangle and shooting, I find him better than Zherdev was at that age, since I seen them both play around the same age.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 05:24 PM
  #43
Blackjag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
there really isn't much to explain in 2009 SO FAR there are the big 5:

1. John Tavares
2. Steve Anthony
3. Andrei Kuchin
4. Magnus Paajarvi
5. Toni Rajala

come draft time anyone of these 5 players could catch up and pass Tavares, no matter how good Tavares is right now, you are never a lock as Jason Spezza proved that time where everyone thought no one would catch him and Kovalchuk came out to surpass him in the draft.

All 5 of these players are extremley extroidinary players.


and for the Steve Anthonoy comparison, he is big, skates like the wind, agilie, great vision and awarness, great passer and anticipation, likes to score goals as well, uses his big frame, always creating offense out there, very poised and a very slick puck handler with good moves. He has to learn to use his body more to hit but besides that the way he plays on the ice is like Thornton.
no i mean who are those people

Blackjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 05:25 PM
  #44
seadog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
i was just wondering if anyone could fill me in on the sea dogs first pick this year yann sauve?

seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 05:34 PM
  #45
Juan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
actually there, maybe you should ask before you assume, I did see him play with the east cost selects, and he was one of the most dominante players on the ice along with Matt Duchene. Kuchin was awsome and displayed speed on his skates, he did glid when he got into the attacking zone, but he was already moving faster than the other players even when gliding. He does have nice dangle and shooting, I find him better than Zherdev was at that age, since I seen them both play around the same age.
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you hadn't seen him play. I just meant that it would be ridiculous for one poster to put this player in any "big 5" for the age group, and then everyone else on here piles on the "could go first overall" bandwagon without watching him for themselves.

Having said that, I will now view your particular posts in a different light if you are going to refer to Kuchin's performance at Prospects as "dominante" [sic] and "awsome" [sic]. In my opinion, he showed himself to be a skilled player with the puck from inside the top of the circles; junk everywhere else. He looks like he is "moving faster than the other players even when gliding" because he flies the defensive zone five seconds before his defenseman even gains possession, so he has no choice but to glide until the rush catches up with him.

I saw a player who is totally one dimensional, and that one dimension is not in the same universe of a player like Chistov, who I saw extensively when he played for Georgetown at 15 years old, or Kovalchuk, who I saw in every exhibition and tourney game before/at the U-17 in Timmins (including the infamous Newmarket Gong Show).

Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 06:07 AM
  #46
Crosby=Gretzky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: i lost myself
Country: Sweden
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Crosby=Gretzky
I can't find any info on 09 eligibles Elliot Daigneault and Jeremy Morin. Could anyone tell me something about them?

Crosby=Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
  #47
Sampe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vantaa
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjag View Post
no i mean who are those people
Toni Rajala is a Finnish center, who statistically speaking had the most impressive season ever by a 14-year-old Finn in 2005-06. He also became the first underaged player in history to be selected to Finland's U16 national team.

Rajala is known for his goalscoring and playmaking abilities, but he's a bit small for his age at 5'8''. And like all the other 2009 prospects, he's still just a kid who might not even play hockey in three years. I recommend being patient with them and trying not to overhype them too much within the following few seasons.

Sampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 08:55 PM
  #48
hockeyRookie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
Chris Doyle is awsome eh and he is 2008, fast skater, great hands and one of the best shooters and goal scorers I have seen.

Travis Randell IMO will be a top 10 pick if he keeps going the way he is for 2009, hits like a truck, super strong, super smooth on the ice, great passer with knowledge and vision, and a good goal scorer, plays two was to.

When I seen Street he was hurt, so I am not going to make any claims with him because he was not impressive, but he was hurt at the time.

Chris Doyle is a good player, but he did not impress much during the U17 between PEI and NB. Let's wait and see after xmas and see what he accomplish with the Rockets.....

hockeyRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 12:35 AM
  #49
fullspeed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
west coast

looking at 09 i needd to think right Jared Cowen 6'5 D man from sask is a sure fire top pick and Landon Ferraro from BC should be their as weel with Ryan Howse from BC.
Cole Penner Alberta and Cody eakin as well.
as far as 90
Colton Teubert is top of class, followed by David toews (younger bro)
other than that tyler myers kyle beech jordan eberle brandon rowinski eric meystery.

fullspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 10:55 AM
  #50
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post
looking at 09 i needd to think right Jared Cowen 6'5 D man from sask is a sure fire top pick and Landon Ferraro from BC should be their as weel with Ryan Howse from BC.
Cole Penner Alberta and Cody eakin as well.
as far as 90
Colton Teubert is top of class, followed by David toews (younger bro)
other than that tyler myers kyle beech jordan eberle brandon rowinski eric meystery.
I would not put David Toews ahead of players such as Geordie Wudrick, Kyle Beech, Mitch Wahl, Eric Mysetery, Jordan Trach, and Dale Hunt, Tyler Shuttock, Neil Prokop.

Plus for 2008 from the WHL guys who are late 89 borth days Zach Boychuck, Luke Schenn, Joel Broda, Matt Sokol.

I think David Toews might be a little overrated and him playing with Kelsey Tessier (who could also make a push for the 1st round of the 2008 draft) has benifited his offensive numbers ALOT.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.