HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I Love This Team

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Hemsky01

vCash: 500
I Love This Team

I know there has been a ton of negative stuff about this team the last week but they have got to be the best team to watch in the league and those of us who follow them to see the show every night. and they do put on a show. Everyone has a thousand theories on why they are giving up so many goals, but I can give 99% of the reason. THEY ARE THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE!! Young players give up the puck, are inconistent, don't always battle hard everynight but I can guarantee I don't stop watching the games early.(which you can't say for those devils fans when there team goes up by a goal in the first period). This team, if kept together (and with a decent Comrie Return, will win the cup in 5 years and be dominant!! We got the best team to watch in the NHL, boys and girls, and I for one am loving every minute of it.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:25 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
I know there has been a ton of negative stuff about this team the last week but they have got to be the best team to watch in the league and those of us who follow them to see the show every night. and they do put on a show. Everyone has a thousand theories on why they are giving up so many goals, but I can give 99% of the reason. THEY ARE THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE!! Young players give up the puck, are inconistent, don't always battle hard everynight but I can guarantee I don't stop watching the games early.(which you can't say for those devils fans when there team goes up by a goal in the first period). This team, if kept together (and with a decent Comrie Return, will win the cup in 5 years and be dominant!! We got the best team to watch in the NHL, boys and girls, and I for one am loving every minute of it.
Nothing to add, great post and I agree.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:30 PM
momentai

Nothing really to add but isn't Florida the youngest? I think we're number 2.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Hemsky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Nothing really to add but isn't Florida the youngest? I think we're number 2.
Could be true, although I thought at the beginning of the season Edmonton was the youngest. I'm pretty sure we still are because of all the callup who are under the average age. I might be wrong though.

Old
11-11-2003, 06:51 PM
barto

Youngest or second-youngest doesn't really matter, the point is the same...but it's good to step back and recognize that the hockey being played is pretty fun to watch, compared to what most other teams are playing. Also keep in mind that many teams have lost to the Bruins this year so far, and with our injuries, the boys hung in there pretty well to make it close again. That's one thing I like about this team - when they get down, they generally don't give up. That's a very good sign, but I'd also like to see them hold a lead better than they do...

Bart

Old
11-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
We got the best team to watch in the NHL, boys and girls, and I for one am loving every minute of it.
Don't know if it was mentioned here, but Don Cherry agrees. Did some of you catch it on HNIC when Cherry said the Oil was the funnest team to watch and that he stays up till the wee hours and always watches?

Thought it was neat for ANYONE associated with HNIC to give Edmonton such a good plug.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Oiler94

Send a message via MSN to Oiler94
Pittsburgh's gotta be pretty young...

Old
11-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
I have to agree. I also want to add one other thing. In past seasons I have accused this team of quitting, especially when down to insurmountable leads. They haven't quit in any games on this road trip. Came back against Ottawa, didn't quit on TO, beat Rangers in thrilling comeback win, and only one goal short on the Bruins. GREAT WORK ETHIC, KEEP IT UP!!!! If there is one thing I can't stand, its quitters, and these young guys don't know the meaning of the word!!!

Old
11-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Hemsky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
I have to agree. I also want to add one other thing. In past seasons I have accused this team of quitting, especially when down to insurmountable leads. They haven't quit in any games on this road trip. Came back against Ottawa, didn't quit on TO, beat Rangers in thrilling comeback win, and only one goal short on the Bruins. GREAT WORK ETHIC, KEEP IT UP!!!! If there is one thing I can't stand, its quitters, and these young guys don't know the meaning of the word!!!
I guess that quality would have to be credited to the coaching staff, don't you think? I think McT is doing the best job with what he has.(no centre that can win a faceoff)

Old
11-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Mr Sakich

actually, this site isn't as negative as some but yeah, we all luv the oilers or we wouldn't be here. It is frustrating to watch them lose because we have been spoiled. We seem to think that the 2nd youngest team with the 3-5th lowest payroll should be a contender every year. Our situation sucks but at least we don't have to cheer for the flames or leafs.

Old
11-11-2003, 07:30 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss
Agreed, although it would be great for them to also learn how to keep a lead... but it definitely shows character and heart the way they keep plugging away and coming back. Not bad at all for such a young team!

Bart

Old
11-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Hemsky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Agreed, although it would be great for them to also learn how to keep a lead...
Bart
They will learn to keep a lead when they are all 3 years older than they are now. If you can't wait that long, your cheering for the wrong team.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Walsher

I love this team as well but they would be much more fun to watch if they added some consistency to their game. A little easier on my young ticker anyway. Getting pretty stressfull and were only at the 15 game mark.

Old
11-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Digger12

Quote:
They will learn to keep a lead when they are all 3 years older than they are now. If you can't wait that long, your cheering for the wrong team.
I can afford to wait...but can the Oilers?

It's one thing for this team to find young talented players, it's pretty good at that. The real trick will be to see if these players will be kept around long enough to become what they can be, or just shipped out in the latest salary dump required to keep this team in Edmonton.

It seems like for the last 10 years, all I've heard is "Just wait a couple of years, this team'll be great."...trouble is, here we are 10 years later and we're STILL waiting.

I sure hope the CBA is restructured to give small market teams that aspire to be more than a one hit wonder a chance, otherwise expect more of the same (assuming we even have a team to cheer for in a couple years' time).

Sorry guys/gals, I'm feeling a tad melancholy tonight.

Old
11-11-2003, 10:23 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I was just about to start a thread saying this.

From now on, I'm just gonna put the Comrie situation, the bad defense, and the whipping boys aside and just sit back and enjoy my games. I'm finally able to watch the Oilers on TV thanks to Center Ice and rather than thinking about that darned Comrie, I'll just sit back with a beer and enjoy my game. No point worrying about something that is out of our control. We'll let the team handle the situation and by christmas things will be falling into place. I'm going to my happy place now.

On a lighter note, I'm really excited about this Heritage Classic thing. Its coming up soon and I can't wait!!!

Old
11-11-2003, 10:54 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I sure hope the CBA is restructured to give small market teams that aspire to be more than a one hit wonder a chance, otherwise expect more of the same (assuming we even have a team to cheer for in a couple years' time).
Man.. in my opinion, hockey is so much more fun to watch when you're watching a team full of guys that have been together for a number of years. I'd love to see the Oilers be able to hold on to guys like Smyth/Hemsky post-CBA and actually see them grow into veterans. I think it would be amazing to see a 36 year old Ryan Smyth skating out onto Skyreach ice (it'll probably be the McDonalds Center or something by then.. ) and leading the Oilers to the Stanley Cup! I hope that we'll never have to see another Doug Weight or Bill Guerin salary dump for a long time.. hopefully this new CBA lives up to my expectations.

Old
11-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Chayos

I think our average age might have sliped some with salo out right now. For on ice talent we would probably sit at about 25 years of age average. I think you look at the way this team is fighting it out againsy quality teams on a long raod trip with some injury problem and still only losing by a goal and you can really see what this team could be. With the comrie Trade hanging over their head they still have really come up with gusty efforts and while the results are not unreal they are pretty good. I think being .500 with one game left on this trip is pretty good actually. If Lowe would just get on with it and move Comrie and let the team get that off their shoulders i think this team could round out rather nice.

Old
11-12-2003, 02:14 AM
Yanner39

I haven't enjoyed watching the Oilers like this in years. In the past 7-8 years they have given us moments (playoff upsets, etc). But this team seems to be faster, more energentic and they play with a never say die attitude. If they get into the playoffs, they will do some damage.

As far as negative comments, posts, I think that's just what being a fan is. I mean, I have no problem reading a post that said Salo sucked after a game that he did. Same goes with when a forwards get criticized for not playing well. In some cases, I agree that things get carried away and that should be the real issue.

I think it's great that fans can go and rant with other Oilers fans. As long as things don't turn too agressive, things are good.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:55 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I mentioned in a previous post, but this is the list of players on the Oilers roster who have less than 2 full years of NHL experience:

Conklin
Semenov
Bergeron
Sarno
Salmo
Torres
Hemsky
Pisani
Chimera

That is 9 guys... which is almost half the current roster. If you can't get excited about this, you are already dead.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Mizral

I'm pretty sure Chicago is the youngest team in the league right now.

Arnason, Bell, Ruutu, McLean, Calder, McCarthy, and Leighton are all key players in their lineup right now.

Mind you, Daze, Zhamnov, Thibault, and Sullivan are all out.

In regards to being young - being young doesn't necessarily mean you'll be better down the road. These youngsters have to improve. A lot. And even then, can they all improve enough? I think that's my biggest gripe with the Oilers. I don't think they have enough talent overall. I feel Lowe has traded away too much, and it's really starting to hurt them. Let's say that Comrie brings back one talented young forward. That would leave that player, Hemsky, and Torres as probobly the key talents at forward already on the roster. Where would that put them in 3 years? Potential wise, let's say that Comrie return has top line potential, Hemsky has top line potential, not sure about Torres (Maybe Morrow-like 2nd line potential). You're still missing, in my mind, a lot of other keys.

I see no #1 defensemen potentials in the Edmonton roster.

I love the depth of the youngsters in the organization. But it's the top end talent I'm worried about. I worry things will rebuild like they have done in Buffalo. One real good player (Satan) and a bunch of 2nd liners, no #1 goaltender or #1 defenseman either.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:15 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

Arnason, Bell, Ruutu, McLean, Calder, McCarthy, and Leighton are all key players in their lineup right now.

In regards to being young - being young doesn't necessarily mean you'll be better down the road. These youngsters have to improve. A lot. And even then, can they all improve enough? I think that's my biggest gripe with the Oilers. I don't think they have enough talent overall. I feel Lowe has traded away too much, and it's really starting to hurt them. Let's say that Comrie brings back one talented young forward. That would leave that player, Hemsky, and Torres as probobly the key talents at forward already on the roster. Where would that put them in 3 years? Potential wise, let's say that Comrie return has top line potential, Hemsky has top line potential, not sure about Torres (Maybe Morrow-like 2nd line potential). You're still missing, in my mind, a lot of other keys.

I love the depth of the youngsters in the organization. But it's the top end talent I'm worried about. I worry things will rebuild like they have done in Buffalo. One real good player (Satan) and a bunch of 2nd liners, no #1 goaltender or #1 defenseman either.
To say that the Oilers should worry about the future is a statement that would then make the entire NHL panick. I mean they have a future number one in JDD - he'll probably start for team canada this X-mas. Stoll has the potential to be an elite checking center like Peca, Mikhnov can be a big sniper. There is just so much potential. If the Oilers don't have high end potential, then nobody in the NHL does. The Hawkes lack a sure fire goalie stud. Defensively the OIlers have a future of Brewer, Semenov as their big tow guys. Being young is VERY big because even if the point totals don't increase much over the next few years, they will have more experience and will be better in all different game situations.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:17 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:

Chicago's avg age, not including Daze and Zhamnov is 26.1 years old.
Edmonton's avg age is 25.8

Quote:
Don't forget, 3 years down the road you have this (providing something gets done with the cba)

Isbister (29) Smyth (30) Hemsky (23)
Torres (25) York (28) Dvorak (29)
Moreau (31) Reasoner (29) Pisani (29)
Chimera (27) Stoll (24) Laraque (29)

Practically 3/4 of the team is entering what is widely considered the prime of their careers... I think it is safe to assume guys like York and Reasoner will continue to get better with age and experience. That doesn't even include the fact that even if only one of Niinimaki, MAP, Miknhov, Rita, etc. can make a meaningful impact.

Quote:
Brewer is only 24... there is lots of room for him to grow. I would consider him a #1 potential defenseman. Semenov has all the tools to be a top 2 defenceman.

Quote:
Well I guess you will have to wait and see. It is <b>impossible</b> to tell which players will be a top end talent before they make it to the NHL, all you can go by is how they are developing where they are currently playing, and whether or not they are working on their weaknesses and improving on them, which according to Oiler scouts, many are doing.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:

Get thee back to your stinky little island knave

As usual you COMPLETELY under-rate Oiler talent you are so predictable its well - predictable. Hemsky and Torres are top line material and they will be devastating together. Put a bigger 2-way center between them (like Stefan or one of our prospects) and this line will be an excellent mix of power and talent. That allows Smyth York and Dvo/Izzy to be our second line and that is better than anything the Canucks can trot out. As for the defence Brew and Semi both have top pair potential and thats what they will be in a few years - but its going to take time for that potential to mature (like all dmen). After that you fill in with meat and potatoes guys which we have tons of in the system. The only thing Im concerned about is in goal and again its not like the Dys have Roy in net.

You have been smitten now go away or Ill wave my personals in your general direction once more

Old
11-12-2003, 12:31 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
I was just about to start a thread saying this.

From now on, I'm just gonna put the Comrie situation, the bad defense, and the whipping boys aside and just sit back and enjoy my games. I'm finally able to watch the Oilers on TV thanks to Center Ice and rather than thinking about that darned Comrie, I'll just sit back with a beer and enjoy my game. No point worrying about something that is out of our control. We'll let the team handle the situation and by christmas things will be falling into place. I'm going to my happy place now.

On a lighter note, I'm really excited about this Heritage Classic thing. Its coming up soon and I can't wait!!!
Great post! Hear hear!

Even though they get a fair amount of the criticism, they should also share in the accolades. I do appreciate MacT and KLowe's work on this team.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:40 PM
barto

When you think about it, it's really tough for the team NOT to be going through some of the things that are going on. Compared to a team of more veteran guys, most of the Oilers are still in the steep part of their learning curves. After a while, it becomes instinct to move to a certain part of the ice in certain situations, or to just 'know' which guy to cover, and so on. Right now the young Oilers are still thinking about stuff like that & not able to react or anticipate as well. Considering the guys who are still in single digits for NHL games played (Sarno, Salo, Stoll), it's a bit of a miracle that we're doing as well as we are on this road trip.

It's good to step back and look at the big picture some times, so thanks for this thread. I've actually mostly dismissed the Comrie thing from my mind, and am looking at the team as-is to see how well (or poorly) we can do. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have some other stud player in the lineup if Comrie isn't going to come back to the team, but I'm just not counting on it for a while yet.

Makes for good reading on here with the different trade scenarios, but that's about it...!

Now let's see how well they do against the Wild and then at home...I have tickets for the Hawks game - will be my third already, which is a good year for me!

Closed Thread