HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why not pick-up Weimer????

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Rafters

vCash: 500
Why not pick-up Weimer????

The Oilers are in desperate need of centers, why not pick-up Weimer on waivers. I dont know what he is like on face-offs, but cant be any worse than what we have know.He is a 6-2 225 c/lw that could add size and a physical touch to the line-up, I dont think he is the #1 center we have been looking for, but can't be any worse than Sarno. He does make 1.6 million, but 1/5 of the year is over and we only have 2 natural NHL centers(Reasoner and Horcoff) and 2 lw(Smyth and York) playing center, both have played decent but are better as left wingers.Who knows he could regain his junior scoring touch playing with Smyth and Hemsky and is a physical player to protect Hemsky from getting pushed around. He is also suppose to be a veteran leadership type of player.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Taco Grande

Weimer sucks. Thats why he's on waivers. Plus we got Stoll and Sarno who both play center.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Walsher

Wiemer has been an effective player and could add that dimension that Edmonton is missing. He has experience and grit and although the Isles don't want him that doesn't mean he sucks. He could be a good role guy assuming the price and situation is right. Not another project though please.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Walsher

If not Wiemer mybe Ronning. An offensvie centerman could fit nicely with Smyth hemsky and again the price could be right. Experience and skill up the middle as a rental type guy could be something to look at. i know he is another small centerman but he may fit the bill rather than a Smyth at center fiasco or a Horcoff Sarno look. Anyway things to consider assuming the Comrie stalemate continues into the season.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Rafters

Stoll is a good one, but I have my doubts about Sarno,he is small, gets knocked off the puck and does not play in the third period, he should be on the farm or in the press box, not centering our top line.Weimer could be a good patch until the Comrie situation is resolved, I do not see the Oilers signing Oates or Ronning. We have some good center prospects that are a few years away, but I dont see the Oilers going anywhere with the situation we have at center now. Reasoner is the only one that can win face-offs regularly. Smyth is doing ok,,but would be better at lw, Horcoff is coming around,and York is our best all round forward trying to play center. If Weimer was signed Smyth and/or York could move back to wing. I also believe Reasoner should be given a chance between Smyth and Hemsky since Stoll is doing so well with Moreau and Pisani.Sarno is at best a #5 center

Smyth-Reasoner-Hemsky
York-Horcoff-Dvo
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Isbister-Weimer-Laraque

Old
11-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3991731
Stoll is a good one, but I have my doubts about Sarno,he is small, gets knocked off the puck and does not play in the third period, he should be on the farm or in the press box, not centering our top line.Weimer could be a good patch until the Comrie situation is resolved, I do not see the Oilers signing Oates or Ronning. We have some good center prospects that are a few years away, but I dont see the Oilers going anywhere with the situation we have at center now. Reasoner is the only one that can win face-offs regularly. Smyth is doing ok,,but would be better at lw, Horcoff is coming around,and York is our best all round forward trying to play center. If Weimer was signed Smyth and/or York could move back to wing. I also believe Reasoner should be given a chance between Smyth and Hemsky since Stoll is doing so well with Moreau and Pisani.Sarno is at best a #5 center

Smyth-Reasoner-Hemsky
York-Horcoff-Dvo
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Isbister-Weimer-Laraque
Why would you want to eliminate Torres from the lineup he has 7 goals and is contributing the most out of anyone right now. To me Laraque gets bumped anyways heres my line assuming that deal:

Smyth-Wiemer-Hemsky
Dvo-York-Torres
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Isbister-Horcoff-Chimera/Laraque/Salmo/Sarno

You can't break up RPM they have been the most consistent line offensively and defensively. York, Dvo, and Torres have been dynamite together and will only improve. Horcoff is a fourth liner. And Smyth & Hemsky could use some grit and toughness with them.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Rafters

my bad, Who would of thought Torres would be leading us in goal scoring?
Smyth-Weimer-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvo
Moreau-Resoner-Pisani
Isbister-Horcoff-Laraque

Chimera and Sarno the extras, Stoll and Salmo to TO for some playing time when Reasoner,Isbister and Laraque come back off IR. Even though the RPM line has been our best, Stoll has fit in nice and Reasoner does deserve a shot with Smyth and Hemsky. Why not put our best center on our 1st line with our most talented players.

Old
11-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3991731
my bad, Who would of thought Torres would be leading us in goal scoring?
Smyth-Weimer-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvo
Moreau-Resoner-Pisani
Isbister-Horcoff-Laraque

Chimera and Sarno the extras, Stoll and Salmo to TO for some playing time when Reasoner,Isbister and Laraque come back off IR. Even though the RPM line has been our best, Stoll has fit in nice and Reasoner does deserve a shot with Smyth and Hemsky. Why not put our best center on our 1st line with our most talented players.

Smyth-Reasoner-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvo
Moreau-Weimer/Stoll-Pisani
Isbister-Horcoff-Laraque/Chimera

Old
11-11-2003, 09:16 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
We don't want/need Weimer. He is only another 1.6 million in salary that we don't need to add. From where I'm sitting - we are playing pretty good seeing as our best center (Reasoner - you damn straight he is) is hurt and a guy who finaly started to produce and has the ability to dominate are out of the lineup. Our forwards when they're back:
Smyth-Reasoner-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Isbister-Horcoff-Laraque

the more and more I see this team with out my third favorite Oilers (laraque) the more I think we'd be smart to trade him with Comrie to get an even better return! That would allow Salmo to play fourth line RW - a spot which he is playing and doing a good job at. We have Rita and Wright who can be called up if Salmo faulters as well. The age of the fighter/enforcer are over in the NHL. I think we could get one helluva return for a Comrie, Laraque and Cross or Fergy deal.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
We don't want/need Weimer. He is only another 1.6 million in salary that we don't need to add. From where I'm sitting - we are playing pretty good seeing as our best center (Reasoner - you damn straight he is) is hurt and a guy who finaly started to produce and has the ability to dominate are out of the lineup. Our forwards when they're back:
Smyth-Reasoner-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Isbister-Horcoff-Laraque

the more and more I see this team with out my third favorite Oilers (laraque) the more I think we'd be smart to trade him with Comrie to get an even better return! That would allow Salmo to play fourth line RW - a spot which he is playing and doing a good job at. We have Rita and Wright who can be called up if Salmo faulters as well. The age of the fighter/enforcer are over in the NHL. I think we could get one helluva return for a Comrie, Laraque and Cross or Fergy deal.
I just don't see the Oilers putting Reasoner with the top line. first of all the third line is accounting for a ton of offensive making it as or more productive than the first line especially 5 on 5. Why breakup a line that is absolutely working in RPM just to try and motivate or help the 1st line that is struggling to poorly? Also, Reasoner is playing so many pk minutes that first line minutes may be too much to handle in the stretch of a game. I like him on the 3rd line. Let him develop and succeed more with the chemistry created. I agree with Laraque. he needs to be moved or something. Very inconsistent and frustrating at times. At that price an enforcer is just too expensive for inneffective play. To me there are too many guys coming in and earning an opportunity to keep Laraque around much longer.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:33 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I just don't see the Oilers putting Reasoner with the top line. first of all the third line is accounting for a ton of offensive making it as or more productive than the first line especially 5 on 5. Why breakup a line that is absolutely working in RPM just to try and motivate or help the 1st line that is struggling to poorly? Also, Reasoner is playing so many pk minutes that first line minutes may be too much to handle in the stretch of a game. I like him on the 3rd line. Let him develop and succeed more with the chemistry created. I agree with Laraque. he needs to be moved or something. Very inconsistent and frustrating at times. At that price an enforcer is just too expensive for inneffective play. To me there are too many guys coming in and earning an opportunity to keep Laraque around much longer.
the rpm line - minus the"r" and plus an "s" (Stoll)- would be fine. Reasoner could be used to jump start the first line that we badly need to actually play like a first line. I would be fine with Stoll playing 5on5 with Smytty and Hemsky too. Either way, our situation up the middle will only improve even with out any movement on the Comrie front.

Old
11-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Boondock Saint

The Oil have NO use for Weimer. He is a third line player at best.

Our checking line (RPM) is set, leaving any combination of Horcoff, Salmo, Sarno, Laraque, Izzy, Stoll and/or Torres for the fourth line. (Obviously 2 of these guys have to be bumped up to top two lines.) Any center we might want HAS to be able to play in the top two lines. Smyth/York is not working so far as our #1-#2 centers.

-------------------------------------------------------

Some here have proposed moving Reasoner up to line #1 with Smytty and Hemmer. I, however, agree with the poster (can't remember who) who said that Reasoner is too important to our third line to be moved up. We need this guy for defensive face-offs and checking opposition top lines.

Yes, I know we have Stoll, but IMO he is not yet ready for the third line center spot. Putting Reasoner on line #1 would leave him unable to also come out for defensive draws and certain checking assignments, as well as PK duty.

---------------------------------------------------------

I think that Ronning is the answer. He could either play with York and Dvo, leaving Izzy/Torres-Smyth-Hemsky, or he could allow Smytty to slide back over to the wing, and leave Smyth-Ronning-Hemsky and Torres-York-Dvo. The only reservation I have about Cliff playing on the top line, is that I would like two shooters playing with Hemmer.

However, with the Canadian $, I think that we could afford to add his salary, especially if we don't pick up to much salary in a Comrie deal.

Not only could he play on our of our top two lines, he could really jumpstart our powerplay. You would have to get our resident genius, igor, to run the numbers, but I believe that he was a big part of Minny's powerplay the last couple of years.

Old
11-12-2003, 03:47 AM
gpearson1968

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
the rpm line - minus the"r" and plus an "s" (Stoll)- .
That turns the RPM line into the PMS line. Uh, no thanks.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
11-12-2003, 05:11 AM
Oiltalk

Well looking at the current Oilers lineup, and thinking of going up against Dallas in the playoffs for one more battle. The Oil would get embarassed as apposed to other years. Comrie won't be able to get us both a Centerman and a dman, so any deal should include a prospect most likely Rita, and a pick in order to solve both glaring needs.

Weimer wouldn't be a bad pickup, but remember this is the penny pinching Oilers.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:13 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson1968
That turns the RPM line into the PMS line. Uh, no thanks.

Cheers,
Geoff.
lol
I never thoght of that!
I agree that probably wouldn't be the catchiest name!
But back to the conversation then - if we feel Reasoner is to important to the third line's success - what about Stoll playing on the first line? I think that Stoll would be able to take Reasoner's spot and Marty would be able to step up to the first line, but I dunno - I guess that's ALOT of pressure on Stoll to step in and be the go to center defensively (although I think Reasoner could still be used in key defensive situations).

Does anybody else think that there are three players by the name of Moreau, Reasoner, and Isbister who should be getting some more icetime????
I mean have these PP units:

Dvorak-Smyth-Hemsky-York-Brewer

Moreau-Reasoner-Isbister-Staios-Semenov/Bergeron/Cross

To me those guys - plus Torres are the most deserving - I could see putting Torres getting time on the left side on the second unit - just who ever is playing better would get the chance.

Old
11-12-2003, 06:51 AM
copperandblue

I don't think Weimer is a project at all, the Islanders are in a panic because they have some big long term contracts that will take them past next year and they are trying to shed some payroll.

By reading some of the Islander forums, it get the impression that Weimer is the type of guy that could be very good for our team and may actually be a guy that does the things that Laraque gets critisized for not doing (he stirs the pot, he will initiate a scrap and he is quick to the defense of a team mate).

So here is my reasoning for Lowe claiming Weimer off waivers if he has a chance;

With Comrie not playing Lowe can afford to carry some extra payroll for the short term.

If Lowe really wants to make a splash on the trade front with the Comrie deal why not package LAraque with him? Laraque has always had a very high trade value and when combined with Comrie I think the two would fetch a pretty impressive return.

Play Weimer on our fourth line as a replacement for Laraque, he is tough enough to enforce for us in the Western conference, he can score in the 30 pt range (something Laraque keeps hoping for but simply can't seem to do), he is the same age as Laraque so it's not like we are getting an old guy.

The draw back is he gets 1.6 a year and for me personally, I am a Laraque fan so it would be tough to see a guy leave that actually wants to stay.

But still, Comrie and Laraque should bring a nice return....

Old
11-12-2003, 07:06 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I don't think Weimer is a project at all, the Islanders are in a panic because they have some big long term contracts that will take them past next year and they are trying to shed some payroll.

By reading some of the Islander forums, it get the impression that Weimer is the type of guy that could be very good for our team and may actually be a guy that does the things that Laraque gets critisized for not doing (he stirs the pot, he will initiate a scrap and he is quick to the defense of a team mate).

So here is my reasoning for Lowe claiming Weimer off waivers if he has a chance;

With Comrie not playing Lowe can afford to carry some extra payroll for the short term.

If Lowe really wants to make a splash on the trade front with the Comrie deal why not package LAraque with him? Laraque has always had a very high trade value and when combined with Comrie I think the two would fetch a pretty impressive return.

Play Weimer on our fourth line as a replacement for Laraque, he is tough enough to enforce for us in the Western conference, he can score in the 30 pt range (something Laraque keeps hoping for but simply can't seem to do), he is the same age as Laraque so it's not like we are getting an old guy.

The draw back is he gets 1.6 a year and for me personally, I am a Laraque fan so it would be tough to see a guy leave that actually wants to stay.

But still, Comrie and Laraque should bring a nice return....
Ya, I've been mentioning that perhaps Laraque could/should be moved. The days of the fighters are over. The NHL just isn't a place for tough guys anymore. We could probably land a VERY high profile player, or two VERY valuable assets if we traded Comrie and Laraque together with perhaps a third or something like that.

Old
11-12-2003, 10:08 AM
LawnDemon

pick up weimer???

1.6 million per season for a buffoon that would score 10 goals in a season if he's VERY lucky?

are you people who support this idea all completely mad?

the only reason that guy has lasted in the nhl is because he's big. he has no talent, no speed, no brains... nothing but size. hence the fact that he's on freakin waivers.

to make matters worse I saw one post in this thread that had that no-talent waste of money on the first freakin line. for crying out loud even clearcoff is more useful as a *choke, cough* first line center.

get with the program! anyone who gives this serious thought should feel SHAME.

Old
11-12-2003, 10:39 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
pick up weimer???

1.6 million per season for a buffoon that would score 10 goals in a season if he's VERY lucky?

are you people who support this idea all completely mad?

the only reason that guy has lasted in the nhl is because he's big. he has no talent, no speed, no brains... nothing but size. hence the fact that he's on freakin waivers.

to make matters worse I saw one post in this thread that had that no-talent waste of money on the first freakin line. for crying out loud even clearcoff is more useful as a *choke, cough* first line center.

get with the program! anyone who gives this serious thought should feel SHAME.
Where the hell you been Demon?

When I read this reply it reminded me of that pawnshop owner on Simpsons. The guy famous for saying, "worst episode ever".

Read it again to yourself with that guys voice. Pretty funny.

Old
11-12-2003, 10:54 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Where the hell you been Demon?

When I read this reply it reminded me of that pawnshop owner on Simpsons. The guy famous for saying, "worst episode ever".

Read it again to yourself with that guys voice. Pretty funny.

my account was broken. i thought it was because i had finally gotten banned but it turns out that there was a technical issue.

anyway, the voice i had in my head for this post was the french goalie from SlapShot... "you sit in da box an feel shame"...

however, i like your suggestion but i'll have to amend something to my original post to make it work:

"let me show you something. this is a picture of a hockey player with solid talent that is a good fit on a small market team. his name is marty reasoner. what you have is a picture of an enormous money pit. his name is jason weimer and he is worth nothing. now kindly leave my shop before i am forced to use my super powers of common sense to completely destroy your miniscule intellects."

Old
11-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Master Lok

Wow I agree with LD!

where is the sense in replacing Laraques 1.1 million who's a 4th line winger, and very popular guy who loves to play in Edmonton for a 4th line LW/C paid at 1.6 million?

HUH? That's just so financially nuts! And to suggest that Wiemer could play 1st line, makes me gag. 2nd line is solid with the TYD line. 3rd line is solid with either the RPM or the PMS line. that only leaves the 4th line.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:37 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Wow I agree with LD!

where is the sense in replacing Laraques 1.1 million who's a 4th line winger, and very popular guy who loves to play in Edmonton for a 4th line LW/C paid at 1.6 million?
I retract my thought on the Wiemer. I was reading his stats but thinking of Cairns. It made sense to me with the reasoning that we could get an aweful lot in return for Comrie and Laraque combined and basically pick up an enforcer for free but like I said, I had Wiemer mixed up with someone else.

See some people can admit mistakes on a hockey forum.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:41 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Wow I agree with LD!
i should warn you... that statement is tantamount to stopping and actually listening to that guy who stands on the street corner drinking paint and screaming about jesus.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I retract my thought on the Wiemer. I was reading his stats but thinking of Cairns. It made sense to me with the reasoning that we could get an aweful lot in return for Comrie and Laraque combined and basically pick up an enforcer for free but like I said, I had Wiemer mixed up with someone else.

See some people can admit mistakes on a hockey forum.
LOL, no that's cool. Actually I like both Cairns and Wiemer, just not at their current prices...

Closed Thread