HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How are the boys looking?

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2003, 08:38 PM
st_roland

vCash: 500
How are the boys looking?

Since I don't see most of the games, I was wondering if you could tell me a few things. I saw that Blake was a -3 tonight, did he make any glaring errors? How did Abby play, any soft goals? Any spectacular assists or goals? Thanks!

Old
11-11-2003, 09:03 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
Since I don't see most of the games, I was wondering if you could tell me a few things. I saw that Blake was a -3 tonight, did he make any glaring errors? How did Abby play, any soft goals? Any spectacular assists or goals? Thanks!
Rob Blake was directly responsible for two Sharks goals... the first one where he made a very weak effort to cover the floater behind him and just waved his stick at the pass. On the third Sharks goal, he clumsily threw the puck to the Sharks defenseman at the point uncovered, allowing Patrick Marleau to beat his man to the net for the redirection.

I was not impressed with David Aebischer tonight. He was flopping around way too much in front of the net, and has this bad tendency of just moving around in his butterfly stance amidst a scramble in front. This is going to hurt him big time when sticks are everywhere and pucks are either shot, bounced or deflected up top where half the net is left open. He was not quick moving across either, making very little attempt to get across and stop either of Marco Sturm or Marleau's goals.

Martin Skoula was terrible, too. On several occasions, he's left standing still in some irrelevant spot in our zone, pointing to his wingers to pick up open men that he is not checking. On three occasions tonight there were Sharks forwards in front of the goal with legitimate chances on Aebischer, yet Skoula stood off to the side not doing a *damn* thing to stop them.

I thought Derek Morris was sensational tonight, offensively and defensively. He was making smart decisions with the puck and taking the friggin' body one-on-one, something that has been his biggest weakness in his Avalanche tenure. On the power play, he may actually be a better 'quarterback' than Blake or Paul Kariya. Morris is able to make lightning quick passes and has great decision making skills. Also, his one-timer is highly effective. I think he's better suited for the PP role moreso than Blake because Blake just lets the cannon shot loose, whereas Morris can either fire a bullet or make *great* passes across the zone. I prefer him over Kariya in that spot just because I am a traditionalist in wanting defensemen to play D, and forwards to play forward, regardless of the situation. Plus, Kariya is much better suited for the one-timers in the slot like Milan Hejduk. Morris and Blake at the point, Sakic on half-boards, Forsberg down low and behind the net while Hejduk and Kariya rotate the first unit spot in the slot. Perfect power-play setup.

I know I'm an open Steve Moore supporter, but this kid played very well tonight. I'll tell you what... for a 5'11" guy, he can throw the body and connects *hard*. He leveled a Sharks forward(Niko Dimitrakos?) in the first period and then smoked Scott Hannan in the second frame. I know he'll be sent down once we get healthy, but I prefer him over all of Travis Brigley, Brett Clark, Charlie Stephens and Jim Cummins, that's for damn sure.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:17 PM
fcbarcelona

i think the avs players are starting to believe in their capabilities. the adversity that stemmed from these injuries has really revealed the character players we have. sakic seems to be playing better as well. tanguay and hejduk are being dominant. its quite remarkable really. the only thing holding the avs back is the goaltending. incidentally, kolzig is very unhappy with the caps right now. the organization is falling apart faster than it can rebuild. just something i thought i may point out.

Old
11-11-2003, 09:49 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
i think the avs players are starting to believe in their capabilities. the adversity that stemmed from these injuries has really revealed the character players we have. sakic seems to be playing better as well. tanguay and hejduk are being dominant. its quite remarkable really. the only thing holding the avs back is the goaltending. incidentally, kolzig is very unhappy with the caps right now. the organization is falling apart faster than it can rebuild. just something i thought i may point out.
Jeri, you change your mind all the time...

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...17&postcount=9

Hehe... I *still* don't think Joe Sakic looks like Joe Sakic out there, though.

Old
11-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I didn't think Blake was that bad on the Marleau goal. He was left to cover two forwards as Nikolishin got a bit lost out there. Not only that, but he was on the ice for both powerplay goals, which wouldn't help his +/- case.

I did only catch the third period ... but Joe Sakic's goal reminded me a helluva lot like 2000-01 type stuff. Get a head of steam, make it look like you're gonna pass. Cut to the middle, far side wrister, beat the goalie. Then reveal that you never had any intentions to pass. Keep that killer instinct Joe, for maybe about 90 more games or so, and we'll be cool

Tanguay played good as usual as he finally took the points lead in the NHL.

And Scott Hannan and Mike Rathje both proved some of my previous statements correct. Rathje has fallen back to a typical 2nd pairing Dman, whereas Hannan is without a doubt the team's best rearguard.

Aebischer had a lot of rebounds tonight too ... ones I felt didn't need to exist. The Sharks did pelt him in the third however.

Old
11-11-2003, 11:31 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I was not impressed with David Aebischer tonight. He was flopping around way too much in front of the net, and has this bad tendency of just moving around in his butterfly stance amidst a scramble in front. This is going to hurt him big time when sticks are everywhere and pucks are either shot, bounced or deflected up top where half the net is left open. He was not quick moving across either, making very little attempt to get across and stop either of Marco Sturm or Marleau's goals.
I don't know what game you were watching, but I thought Abby played great, making some great saves for the team, and keeping them in the game, including one great save with only a few seconds left. Abby can't be faulted on any of the shots that beat him. Also this bad tendency of moving around in his butterfly stance you speak of, was learned from Patrick Roy, who did pretty well with it, and it was directly responsible for at least two big saves in the SJ game. The idea is to stay big in the butterfly and shuffle across is position, that way there is nothing to shoot at, and you don't get to your feet, and open up some holes for the player to shoot at.

I do however agree with you on Skoula, he was terrible once again. He just plain sucks like I've never seen a defensman suck before in his own zone. On a related note, I thought that John Davidson was a poor color man, until I heard the Sharks guy. This guy is just an idiot. He's completely biased in everything he says, including the play where Selanne was cross checked to the ice, and then roughed up by Ricci and another player after the wistle, and then Teemu gave him a weak shot in the shoulder, and that bald headed ******* starts *****ing about how Teemu just punched Ricci in the face, and how he can't believe that's not a penalty. Then he starts saying Avs palyers are diving, but then just shrugs off the SJ plays where they dive. He then continues to bad mouth the referees, like I've never heard any anouncer do before in my life, and keeps saying Jackson is having another great game, in a sarcastic tone. It's one thing to be a little biased if you are the anouncer for just one team, but every anouncer tries his best to stay somewhat profesional, and objective. This guy didn't bother at all. Anouncers almost never bad mouth the referees either, and never to the degree he did. It wasn't even that poorly oficiated, I only saw one penalty that shouldn't have been called, and a few that maybe should have, but you are almost never going to see perfect officiating in a game. I thought the officiating was actaully much better than a lot of the games I've seen this year, which for some reason, have been worse then I've ever seen before, in regards to officiating. The topper, which I also refered to at the begining, is that he claimed that Skoula is a VERY good defensman, in the kind of tone anouncers use when refering someone like Adam Foote.. What a joke this guy is.

Old
11-12-2003, 04:45 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Jeri, you change your mind all the time...

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...17&postcount=9

Hehe... I *still* don't think Joe Sakic looks like Joe Sakic out there, though.
lol. ill never be as rigid minded as you are bro. btw, what was aebi thinking when he went paddle down on that primeau breakaway goal? what is up with that?!

Old
11-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
On a related note, I thought that John Davidson was a poor color man, until I heard the Sharks guy. This guy is just an idiot. He's completely biased in everything he says, including the play where Selanne was cross checked to the ice, and then roughed up by Ricci and another player after the wistle, and then Teemu gave him a weak shot in the shoulder, and that bald headed ******* starts *****ing about how Teemu just punched Ricci in the face, and how he can't believe that's not a penalty. Then he starts saying Avs palyers are diving, but then just shrugs off the SJ plays where they dive. He then continues to bad mouth the referees, like I've never heard any anouncer do before in my life, and keeps saying Jackson is having another great game, in a sarcastic tone. It's one thing to be a little biased if you are the anouncer for just one team, but every anouncer tries his best to stay somewhat profesional, and objective. This guy didn't bother at all. Anouncers almost never bad mouth the referees either, and never to the degree he did. It wasn't even that poorly oficiated, I only saw one penalty that shouldn't have been called, and a few that maybe should have, but you are almost never going to see perfect officiating in a game. I thought the officiating was actaully much better than a lot of the games I've seen this year, which for some reason, have been worse then I've ever seen before, in regards to officiating. The topper, which I also refered to at the begining, is that he claimed that Skoula is a VERY good defensman, in the kind of tone anouncers use when refering someone like Adam Foote.. What a joke this guy is.
Welcome to my world

Remenda is not only one of the dumbest in hockey, but he may be one of the dumbest humans to ever inhibit our planet.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Welcome to my world

Remenda is not only one of the dumbest in hockey, but he may be one of the dumbest humans to ever inhibit our planet.
It was pretty damn funny hearing him rave about how Skoula was a great defenseman, even as he was doing many not-so-great things during the course of the game. And when they were accusing Hejduk of a dive when he was clearly hooked, I really had to wonder. Wonder if they were letting Duane Kuiper do the color, that is.

Last night's game was one of the clutchingest, grabbingest, interference laden affairs I've seen in a long time, and that's saying something. If they had blown some whistles early, maybe it wouldn't have turned into that. Both teams were guilty of it, though the Sharks seemed to take the most advantage from it. I saw a few times where players 25' from the puck were taken out of the play and nothing was called. I am surprised any penalties were called at all the way things were going. It was gross.

To concur with someone's earlier post, Moore was great. Good energy, some big hits, got folks agitated, and I seem to remember him winning a key faceoff. He's not the kind of player you judge by the scoresheet, his coach and teammates can see the work he does. I think he'll be on our third and fourth lines for years to come. He's got some skill, but right now his important assets are ability and willingness to muck and grind. It's kind of what this team has to do with a few of the fancy boys out of the lineup.

Did anyone expect Parker to dance with Cummins or McAllister? I thought it would be a foregone conclusion. There was some yapping, but it never really got close to clobberin' time. Almost seemed like they didn't really want to go.

I like the way this team is playing right now, can't wait to see it with all our guns healthy.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Laperriere22*

I thought Morris was rather weak defensively, personally. Not like Skoula or anything, but he had a few turnovers in his own zone that could have been avoided. He was excellent offensively though and his offense more than made up for the handful of poor decisions he made. That is always going to be a problem for Skoula because what he adds offensively doesn't balance out his glaring defensive gaffes.

And am I the only one that saw an Avs fan wave his Swedish flag after Selanne scored? That was so retarded it was hilarious. What a dumbass.

I don't think the Avs have any hope of relying on Aebischer right now. I've never been sold on Aebischer anyway, but the Avs play so wide open that he is left on his own way too often (ditto Sauve). That and the Avs rely heavily on PP goals to score; I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Avs are an overall minus even strength. The Avs remind me a lot of how the Canucks currently play actually and it puts too much strain on the goaltender and an offensive-minded defense to play defensively. The Avs are pretty fun to watch, but I don't see them having much success in the playoffs where calls are hard to come by and defenses tighten down even more. Normally I'd assume the Avs coach would make those adjustments in the playoffs, but I don't think Granato is capable of doing it personally. That's just my opinion of course.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:18 AM
Laperriere22*

And just for the record, McKnob mentioned a couple of times how good Skoula looked last night. So, let's not forget one of the top 5 homer broadcasting crews in the game.

Florida's play-by-play guy is really horrid as well. I don't mind Potvin because he does know what he's talking about, in spite of his obvious Panthers bias. But the play-by-play guy is cut from the same cloth as Thorne.

Old
11-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
I don't think the Avs have any hope of relying on Aebischer right now. I've never been sold on Aebischer anyway, but the Avs play so wide open that he is left on his own way too often (ditto Sauve). That and the Avs rely heavily on PP goals to score; I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Avs are an overall minus even strength. The Avs remind me a lot of how the Canucks currently play actually and it puts too much strain on the goaltender and an offensive-minded defense to play defensively. The Avs are pretty fun to watch, but I don't see them having much success in the playoffs where calls are hard to come by and defenses tighten down even more. Normally I'd assume the Avs coach would make those adjustments in the playoffs, but I don't think Granato is capable of doing it personally. That's just my opinion of course.
Well, last year the Avs were very good at even strength, I can't find easily accessible league wide numbers, but the Avs scored 71% of their goals even strength last year (178 of 251). Iím sure that was one of the best percentages in the league, if not the best.

This year they are scoring 59% of their goals at even strength (30 of 51).

I wouldn't really put any stock in the stats from this year, the sample is pretty small. I doubt the team would go from being very good at even strength last year to being mediocre this year. They will probably get better with Forsberg and Kariya back, thereby making the bottom two lines stronger by moving people down.

Any way you slice it, the Avs have the best goals per game average right now, and I think it will go up as they get healthier. The goals against is a different story for a different thread, unfortunately .

Old
11-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Breck Av

Oh, and, if my stats are correct, the Avs are +1 at even strength, 30 for, 29 against. Not good enough, IMO. Naslund's line is putting up +/- numbers like Forsberg's did last year, and visa versa. That will change, I expect.

Old
11-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
And just for the record, McKnob mentioned a couple of times how good Skoula looked last night. So, let's not forget one of the top 5 homer broadcasting crews in the game.
That's actually worse than Remenda saying what he did, because McNabb should know better. I am sure Remenda was just going off of whatever he had read or what he thought he knew. I have a feeling the more Center Ice feeds of Avs games I see, the more funny stuff I am going to hear. I'm sure the Avs guys say things that sound hilarious to fans of other teams as well. With so many pro teams now, I am not sure there are enough informed announcers to go around. I do notice that some of the Canadian teams have solid announcers, who actually point out the little things that are actually big things in the scheme of the game. It was eye-opening to me after hearing almost exclusively U.S. major network broadcasters. We are lucky in LA to have Bob Miller at least.

Old
11-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
Well, last year the Avs were very good at even strength, I can't find easily accessible league wide numbers, but the Avs scored 71% of their goals even strength last year (178 of 251). Iím sure that was one of the best percentages in the league, if not the best.

This year they are scoring 59% of their goals at even strength (30 of 51).

I wouldn't really put any stock in the stats from this year, the sample is pretty small. I doubt the team would go from being very good at even strength last year to being mediocre this year. They will probably get better with Forsberg and Kariya back, thereby making the bottom two lines stronger by moving people down.

Any way you slice it, the Avs have the best goals per game average right now, and I think it will go up as they get healthier. The goals against is a different story for a different thread, unfortunately .
I agree that they were good at even strength last year; I just don't see it this year though. I had that first 12 games comparison up a week or so ago and so far, all signs point to the Avs being way too reliant upon their PP to score and get points from games. It's great to have a PP unit clicking, but it's not great when you need calls from very inconsistent officiating to have a chance in most games. After the 1st 12 games, the Avs had 15 PPG out of 41 total. Now it's 21 out of 51. 6 of their last 10 goals scored are on the PP. And when you consider how tight every game has been, it's rather scary that the PP is the only thing keeping them in some of these games. I don't know if it will change or not, but if it doesn't change, the Avs will be screwed in the playoffs because they're not going to get the same calls they're getting now. Even then, I don't see this wide open style winning playoff games and I don't see Granato being good enough to make the necessary adjustments. Extremely early to be looking that far ahead I know, but that's what I'm seeing right now.

And if the Avs are only +1 even strength, that is embarrassing; they haven't exactly played that many top caliber teams yet and if weaker teams in the league can hang with them even strength, it could get real ugly when they start playing the better teams in the league (might not either, but I personally think the Avs need to tighten up in their own end quite a bit).

Old
11-12-2003, 10:35 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
That's actually worse than Remenda saying what he did, because McNabb should know better. I am sure Remenda was just going off of whatever he had read or what he thought he knew. I have a feeling the more Center Ice feeds of Avs games I see, the more funny stuff I am going to hear. I'm sure the Avs guys say things that sound hilarious to fans of other teams as well. With so many pro teams now, I am not sure there are enough informed announcers to go around. I do notice that some of the Canadian teams have solid announcers, who actually point out the little things that are actually big things in the scheme of the game. It was eye-opening to me after hearing almost exclusively U.S. major network broadcasters. We are lucky in LA to have Bob Miller at least.
Exactly on McKnob.

I think he knows how much criticism Skoula takes and now he's trying to talk up the kid, like a good little homer announcer. What I really find entertaining is how much more criticism Skoula gets game to game. It wasn't too long ago that I was very much in the minority taking Skoula to task for his relatively rampant defensive zone errors. Now, I don't even have to add anything about him because someone breaks his balls well before I do. Saves me time and effort; that's nice.

I don't believe there are enough knowledgable broadcasters to go around either. The Sharks pair isn't. The Avs pair could be, but never gets past their homerism to actually give you the feeling that they know what they're talking about. I don't like the Canes pair either or the Jackets. The Ducks pair sucks as does the Caps. I generally like the Stars, Devils, Kings, and strangely enough, the Predators duos. The Blues are hit and miss. Etcetera, etcetera. You wouldn't think finding 48 knowledgable hockey people would be that tough would ya, considering there are millions of people to draw on?

Old
11-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Breck Av

You wonder if these Fox Sports Net and TSN announcers know that they're being heard by more than just the "home" fans these days with the proliferation of NHL Center Ice.

You'd think they'd be a little more objective in their commentary and play by play. I know that opposing fans just love John Kelly's "thank you, thank you, thank you" goal call. Other teams have big homers as well, especially the Canadian teams, who add jingoistic homerism as well to their repertoire.

Old
11-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Exactly on McKnob.

I think he knows how much criticism Skoula takes and now he's trying to talk up the kid, like a good little homer announcer. What I really find entertaining is how much more criticism Skoula gets game to game. It wasn't too long ago that I was very much in the minority taking Skoula to task for his relatively rampant defensive zone errors. Now, I don't even have to add anything about him because someone breaks his balls well before I do. Saves me time and effort; that's nice.

I don't believe there are enough knowledgable broadcasters to go around either. The Sharks pair isn't. The Avs pair could be, but never gets past their homerism to actually give you the feeling that they know what they're talking about. I don't like the Canes pair either or the Jackets. The Ducks pair sucks as does the Caps. I generally like the Stars, Devils, Kings, and strangely enough, the Predators duos. The Blues are hit and miss. Etcetera, etcetera. You wouldn't think finding 48 knowledgable hockey people would be that tough would ya, considering there are millions of people to draw on?
I was going to say something about McNabb probably feeling at least some responsibility to the Avs to try to make things seem better, but it's silly for him to single out Skoula for playing well, when clearly his best moments are on offense. I think he's getting taken to task more here because he's actually gotten worse, or at least it seems like he has to me. I'm not the most knowledgable hockey fan, and I only ever played the game when I was 6 years old, but even I can see his missed assigments and the fact that he is often not where he should be.

I am glad you mentioned the Ducks announcers. Brian Hayward is the most annoying homer on earth. He's not a *bad* announcer, but he takes such great offense when a call goes against the Ducks, or is missed against them, and his already high voice kicks up a notch and becomes an insufferable whine. Before I got Center Ice, I had to watch a lot of Ducks and Kings games to get my hockey fix, and he singlehandedly made it unpleasant to watch Anaheim's games.

I also agree that Nashville has pretty good announcers, I generally enjoy their games. One of the Phoenix guys has a great announcing voice, but I don't pay much attention to what they are saying since their games are so exciting.

I still find the MSG broadcasts the most annoying overall, because Davidson is a space cadet, and that old dude they always go to inbetween periods is so obnoxious he makes Don Cherry look like a nun.

Old
11-12-2003, 11:14 AM
st_roland

Thanks fellas, this is exactly what I needed, since I can't watch the games. Do you think we need a defensive-minded blueliner as well as a money goalie to win it all or just a change in philosophy?

Old
11-12-2003, 12:05 PM
DarioinDenver

I'm not sure what some of you expect out of Avalanche announcers. McNabb is an NHL veteran and by now a broadcast veteran. I wan't my Avalanche broadcasts to be very pro-Avalanche and very exited about the Avs doing well. You can't create moments like Mike Hanes' Roy/Ozgood fight or Roy's multiple save vs. Detroit without the broadcaster being a homer. I see nothing wrong with them being homers, they are pandering to their consumers.

Now, if you want to stipulate that those same announcers are not giving any fair critisims then I can see where there's plenty of room for improvement there. However, I have heard McNabb and Hanes give numerous accolades to other team players/coaches/systems etc... I remember McNabb glowing over the Sedin twins and that was when they were in a funk. I know it's tough to watch for non-Avalanche fans but I have no problems with it myself. The only thing I wished they would do more often would be to offer constructive critisim of individual players on replays or situations. Instead they limit themselves to the Avs powerplay needs work etc... They are very reluctant to show a replay and say "here is where McCormick pealed away from his assignment when Cummins was caught deep in the offensive end. He may have left the point open but it's more important to cover the weakside post in that situation" or something like that. Otherwise, I don't see that the fuss is.

Old
11-12-2003, 12:31 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
That's actually worse than Remenda saying what he did, because McNabb should know better. I am sure Remenda was just going off of whatever he had read
Remenda can read?

That's news to me

Old
11-12-2003, 12:37 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I'm not sure what some of you expect out of Avalanche announcers. McNabb is an NHL veteran and by now a broadcast veteran. I wan't my Avalanche broadcasts to be very pro-Avalanche and very exited about the Avs doing well. You can't create moments like Mike Hanes' Roy/Ozgood fight or Roy's multiple save vs. Detroit without the broadcaster being a homer. I see nothing wrong with them being homers, they are pandering to their consumers.

Now, if you want to stipulate that those same announcers are not giving any fair critisims then I can see where there's plenty of room for improvement there. However, I have heard McNabb and Hanes give numerous accolades to other team players/coaches/systems etc... I remember McNabb glowing over the Sedin twins and that was when they were in a funk. I know it's tough to watch for non-Avalanche fans but I have no problems with it myself. The only thing I wished they would do more often would be to offer constructive critisim of individual players on replays or situations. Instead they limit themselves to the Avs powerplay needs work etc... They are very reluctant to show a replay and say "here is where McCormick pealed away from his assignment when Cummins was caught deep in the offensive end. He may have left the point open but it's more important to cover the weakside post in that situation" or something like that. Otherwise, I don't see that the fuss is.
That is the real problem; they don't criticize individual players. They have five replays of something in front of them and they don't accurately talk about what's going on, especially if Forsberg's involved. How often has Forsberg ever turned over the puck according to those two? Maybe 10 times in his career sound about right?

I understand the need to be pro-Avalanche, but when they're so obsessed with cheerleading that they can no longer give an accurate assessment of what's happening on the ice, that's when it's gone too far. I think they do most fans a disservice by pandering to them. I would think after 9 seasons here that the announcers could take a little time to go in depth rather than just focusing on praising players that maybe deserve to be and maybe they don't. They have no objectivity left in their commentary and why would anyone take their comments seriously when they have no objectivity whatsoever?

Haynes has nothing to do with it in this case; we're talking about TV guys and that would be Kelly and McKnob (or McNab).

Old
11-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
I was going to say something about McNabb probably feeling at least some responsibility to the Avs to try to make things seem better, but it's silly for him to single out Skoula for playing well, when clearly his best moments are on offense. I think he's getting taken to task more here because he's actually gotten worse, or at least it seems like he has to me. I'm not the most knowledgable hockey fan, and I only ever played the game when I was 6 years old, but even I can see his missed assigments and the fact that he is often not where he should be.

I am glad you mentioned the Ducks announcers. Brian Hayward is the most annoying homer on earth. He's not a *bad* announcer, but he takes such great offense when a call goes against the Ducks, or is missed against them, and his already high voice kicks up a notch and becomes an insufferable whine. Before I got Center Ice, I had to watch a lot of Ducks and Kings games to get my hockey fix, and he singlehandedly made it unpleasant to watch Anaheim's games.

I also agree that Nashville has pretty good announcers, I generally enjoy their games. One of the Phoenix guys has a great announcing voice, but I don't pay much attention to what they are saying since their games are so exciting.

I still find the MSG broadcasts the most annoying overall, because Davidson is a space cadet, and that old dude they always go to inbetween periods is so obnoxious he makes Don Cherry look like a nun.
Hayward is a master of the high-pitched whine. I've never liked the Ducks anyway; so, it kind of works out well. I haven't had to listen to him as much as you have (which is a good thing), but your critique seems spot on about Hayward.

You know who's been pretty good? Jason Strudwick has been doing the Hawks games as the color guy since they took Tallon out of the booth and made him assistant GM (man I couldn't stand Tallon BTW). You know it's probably killing him to not be playing, but he is pretty humorous and he has a reason to root for the Hawks because he's still part of the team.

And I know you don't like the MSG guys; had to bring that up again eh?

Old
11-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
I don't, in general, have a problem with the Avs announcers. If they are saying Skoula is playing well, then they are either missing something or covering it up, and that's worth chirping about. I understand that it's not in the best interest of the Avs to have their own announcers berating the Avs players, or stirring up controversy, but you want some semblance of balance, or they don't come across as trustworthy and believable. As a diehard Avs fan, I enjoy having the annoncers on my side, of course. I'd think you want your announcers to love the team they are announcing for, or else you risk having pretty boring, passionless broadcasts. But if it swings too much one way, it can be a drag to listen to over and over.

But I think we are talking here about how unenjoyable it can be to listen to other teams' broadcasters when they distort things and make dumb mistakes due to not having done their homework. In short, I don't think anyone is necessarily disagreeing over anything here, just expressing personal tastes in broadcasters, and venting about certain ones we've heard recently.

I will say that both McNabb and Kelly do routinely miss things, like who did what, whether a shot on net was deflected etc., but that might be because of their vantage point, and that affliction affects pretty much all announcers of all sports.

Old
11-12-2003, 01:01 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
You know who's been pretty good? Jason Strudwick has been doing the Hawks games as the color guy since they took Tallon out of the booth and made him assistant GM (man I couldn't stand Tallon BTW). You know it's probably killing him to not be playing, but he is pretty humorous and he has a reason to root for the Hawks because he's still part of the team.
Oh good call, he's frickin' hilarious. I heard him for the first time this week and really enjoyed it. At first I thought he was just visiting the booth, but he stuck around for the whole game.

Quote:
And I know you don't like the MSG guys; had to bring that up again eh?
I only did because I watched another game on MSG recently, and they were just as bad as in that Avs game. I used to like Davidson, but recently it talks like his battery fell out or something.

Closed Thread