HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Arbitration Hearings

Old
07-25-2006, 08:46 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Arbitration Hearings

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/...rk_everson.htm

Quote:
The arbitrator who Friday heard Gomez' case for a $7M salary and the Devils' bid for a $4M award also is wrestling with the cases of Chicago's Kyle Calder and Pitt's Ryan Malone. Calder's hearing was held yesterday.
I find it a bit disturbing that one arbitrator is doing three cases at a time. Isn't that a conflict of interest? How can a sound judgement be made with three unique players and their respected management all representing a separate case?

It seems to me that in the "post lockout era" situations like these should be avoided for the sake of keeping the integrity of the arbitratyion process. When the arbitrator is sitting at his desk mulling over what the award should be, do NOT tell me that he is NOT influenced by the other cases he is working on, even if he has "assistants" helping out.

In a situation like this - after seeing Briere get a balloned 5 million award and media questioning the affectiveness of the lockout in regard to inflating salaries, it could put pressure on the arbitrator (with three cases on his plate, AND the pressure of each side WAITING for the result) to make an unsound judgement one or another. It doesnt seem very accurate to me, though neither was the first arbitration award for Briere.

It seems the entire process needs to be revamped, but at least we have hockey to watch.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-25-2006 at 08:53 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Fletch

There's no conflict...

they're supposed professionals in salary arbitrations. All three cases are mutually exclusive. And of course he's influenced by other cases, as would any arbitrator (the award from one arbitrator would affect the decision of another in a similar case, no doubt, and that's how it's supposed to be). And if there's media backlash, it would affect the next arbitrator too.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 09:08 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
they're supposed professionals in salary arbitrations. All three cases are mutually exclusive. And of course he's influenced by other cases, as would any arbitrator (the award from one arbitrator would affect the decision of another in a similar case, no doubt, and that's how it's supposed to be). And if there's media backlash, it would affect the next arbitrator too.
Yes, understood. But judging at the same time? cmon... Youre dealing with cases that effect the future of the league's salary structure. I understand that each award should affect another, but when its three cases at once... one of those cases can be swayed in a way that it wouldnt if it were held exclusively, and thats not a fair hearing.

Say for instance Gomez is awarded 4 million because a circumstance presented with the other 2 cases influenced the arbitrator greatly. The Devils would get off too easy. Say that two players are at a very comparable level and they are using eachothers play as a case to raise their salaries. Wouldnt that be a bit of a predicament.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-25-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old
07-25-2006, 09:10 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Don't they have to use pre established contracts already on the books as opposed to arbitration awards? At least that was my understanding.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Fletch

I actually think...

there should be one arbitrator hearing all the cases so as to not have differing opinions, much like a ref - one ref calls a penalty one way, the other another way, this is the league's salary structure which should be uniform in some way (this is not practical, but if you want to get the closest to consistency from these awards, that's how it should be done). But I'm not understanding what circumstance could affect Gomez' award. I'm thinking what affects each award is the arguments made from both sides. If Lou lays it out properly by placing a lot of his success on other people as opposed to Gomez himself, then he's done his job properly.

Old
07-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Fletch

I believe, Mister...

they're supposed to. But it's human nature to see Briere's award and use it as a measure - of course, Briere's award, theoretically, was based on pre-existing contracts and similar players should yield similar results, in theory.

Old
07-25-2006, 09:31 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
there should be one arbitrator hearing all the cases so as to not have differing opinions, much like a ref - one ref calls a penalty one way, the other another way, this is the league's salary structure which should be uniform in some way (this is not practical, but if you want to get the closest to consistency from these awards, that's how it should be done). But I'm not understanding what circumstance could affect Gomez' award. I'm thinking what affects each award is the arguments made from both sides. If Lou lays it out properly by placing a lot of his success on other people as opposed to Gomez himself, then he's done his job properly.
I can see your point... but youre right its not practical to have this beautifully sound NHL salary utopia.. but put yourself in his shoes, you have to make three rulings at once. Hey... if he feels in a crappy mood that week he might give everyone 2 million less. If he just got married or won at the track on sunday he might give all 3 two million more.

Old
07-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Fletch

I don't know...

if there's really a better process though. I don't think too many players have been upset with their awards. Arbitration's not a fun process, and very often does favor the 'employee', having been to a bunch and I go back scratching my head wondering how the arbitrator awarded in a manner in which they did as these guys do not always know much about the business (let's say the game of hockey) and thus their awards are based on the banter back and forth.

Old
07-25-2006, 09:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I wonder if the arbitrators are briefed by the NHL in any way to infuence their decisions. Like make them aware of what occured during the lockout.. give them a list of past arbitrations...what "direction" they want to head in... 'wink wink'.

The players always seem to get a deal, but the owners get the benefit of walking away from it, and if so - the players test the August market and alot of money is already tied up... not sure if there is a better process, interesting debate though.

Old
07-25-2006, 11:19 AM
frozenrubber

Baseball

During the entire lockout, a major tenet of the proposed CBA was baseball like arbitration (where the arbitrator doesn't split the number, but either picks management's or the player's #).

Did this not make it into the final CBA?

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Fletch

I would be surprised...

if the league did try to sway the arbitrators. They'd get themselves into a heck of a lot of hot water for something like that. And the arbitrators supposedly base awards on current salaries, which is post-rollback (albeit even post-rollback for some may be a bit hight).