HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

top 10 goalies

Old
07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
The Sanchise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
You are being a little unfair there. He was not healthy in the playoffs when the Rangers got swept. After the series instead of playing in the World Championships he had surgery. and He shared nothing with Kevin Weekes. Lundqvist carried a team that had no business winning 30 games this season.

To say that you don't see a clutch performer is garbage, he won the Swedish Elite League MVP in the playoffs during 05 and carried his team to the championship, and how you don't consider Lundqvist robbing Jokinen with 7 seconds left against Sweden clutch, well I don't understand that.

Only one goaltender was better than Henrik Lundqvist this season when he was healthy and that was Miika Kipprusoff (Not by much)
Don't get me wrong I like HEnrik, but I don't believe those injury excuses for any player on any team. If you are so hurt you use it as anexcuse after than don't play in the first place. He was healthy enough to get onto the ice, as was the flyers so injuries are not an excuse there. He played badly.

The Sanchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:53 PM
bigjags*

1 and 2 - Kipper and Brodeur, or Brodeur and Kipper
3 - Miller or Vokoun

I don't know how some guys can put Luonog top 3, let alone #1!!

Anyone who puts Luongo #1 has really bought into the NHL hype machine. Christ. What has he ever done?

Please don't mention "he faces 50 shots a gamee...blah.blah" He's good, I agree, but top 3 or number 1?

bigjags* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
that was four years ago. i'm thinking right now. and nabokov is not on my list right now. he might be later but he has something to prove to make my list. lehtonen and lundqvist has proved enogh for me.
since the question doesnt indicates any particular year to which goalies have had good seasons i'd go with the goalies alot of you have picked but i'd include theodore because he has been a top goalie in the league and done something that not many goalies have, winning the MVP

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paille#1 View Post
Don't get me wrong I like HEnrik, but I don't believe those injury excuses for any player on any team. If you are so hurt you use it as anexcuse after than don't play in the first place. He was healthy enough to get onto the ice, as was the flyers so injuries are not an excuse there. He played badly.
Henrik was trying to come back and save the team from the plague that is Kevin Weekes.

Another thing is that Henrik didn't get nominated for the Vezina because he is unproven. He easily is more proven then:

Miller
DiPietro
Ward
Lehtonen

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:06 PM
corneo

I am surprised that Roloson's name is being tossed around. I like the guy and I hope he can continue his playoff performance. I have to wait and see regarding Cam Ward though. Kipper and Brodeur are definately top goalies in the league.

corneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

All right, I'll bite.

Kipprusoff

Brodeur
Luongo
Vokoun
Lunqvist
Fernandez
Turco
Miller
Toskala
Legace

hm: "Guizgalov," Theodore, Kolzig, Rollie, Nabby

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

1. Kiprusoff
2. Brodeur
3. Luongo
4. Vokoun
5. Lundqvist
6. Ward
7. Miller
8. Giguere
9. Turco
10. Fernandez

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
The Sanchise

Quote:
Henrik was trying to come back and save the team from the plague that is Kevin Weekes.

Another thing is that Henrik didn't get nominated for the Vezina because he is unproven. He easily is more proven then:

Miller
DiPietro
Ward
Lehtonen
Dipietro, yes. Lehtonen, yes. Ward, yes for reg season and no for playoffs.

Miller, I just don't believe it. They were both very good in the regular season and Miller was very good in the playoffs.

The Sanchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Edler Statesman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletchley View Post
He's good, I agree, but top 3 or number 1?
Yes.

Edler Statesman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:20 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paille#1 View Post
Dipietro, yes. Lehtonen, yes. Ward, yes for reg season and no for playoffs.

Miller, I just don't believe it. They were both very good in the regular season and Miller was very good in the playoffs.
Ward has to prove that the playoffs weren't a fluke first.

Secondly Miller had a MUCH MUCH better team defensively than Lundqvist did. It's not even funny how much better Buffalo's defense was that NYR. We were a patch defense that was injured by the time the playoffs came around.

You counting that Lunqvist is a playoff choker which he is not.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Radomon

01. Martin Brodeur
02. Roberto Luongo
03. Miika Kiprusoff
04. Henrik Lundqvist
05. Tomas Vukoun
06. Marty Turco
07. Dominik Hasek
08. Ryan Miller
09. Manny Fernandez
10. Cam Ward

Radomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Edler Statesman*

As much as I love the Canucks and hate the Flames I don't know why everyone is putting Luongo ahead of Kiprusoff. They're both top three (which is undisputably Luongo, Kiprusoff and Brodeur in some order) but I can't put Luongo ahead of Kiprusoff yet. We'll see this season.

Old
07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

#1 Brodeur
#2 Kipper
#3 Luongo
#4 Vokoun
#5 Turco
#6 Lundqvist
#7 Miller
#8 Khabibulin (I assume he will rebound at least somewhat)
#9 Nabokov
#10 Gerber

HM: Everyone else.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:32 PM
bigjags*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomon View Post
01. Martin Brodeur
02. Roberto Luongo
03. Miika Kiprusoff
04. Henrik Lundqvist
05. Tomas Vukoun
06. Marty Turco
07. Dominik Hasek
08. Ryan Miller
09. Manny Fernandez
10. Cam Ward
How can you justify putting Luongo aheaed of Kipper?

bigjags* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theenigma View Post
How can you justify putting Luongo aheaed of Kipper?
Potential?

Old
07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

frankly you can't even justify having Brodeur ahead of Kiprusoff right now either.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Le Golie

Seeing Tim ****ing Thomas listed makes me realize what a joke this site can be sometimes...

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Shatmat*

Quote:
Miller
DiPietro
Ward
Lehtonen
How so? I guess it depends on your definition of "proven" Miller brought the Sabres at 1 period from the Stanley Cup final and had a great (full) season.

Ward didn't play much during the season but won the Conn Smythe.

I wouldn't say Lundqvist is more "proven" than these 2

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Lunatik*

IMO you dont just rate goaltenders on 1 years performance... look at what they did the last couple seasons... and in all honest there isnt the great goaltenders there once was in the NHL... a list like this would have been easy 10 years ago (well alot easier)... but it seems as if half the goalies in the NHL either have never had decent success or have only started for a season (if that in some cases)

1. Brodeur... i dont need to debate why one of the greatest of all time is at #1
2. Kiprusoff... a vezina trophy, a vezina & hart nomination, a clarence campbell trophy and a northwest champions banner (yeah i know the latter 2 are team awards... but cmon everyone knows without kipper they arent getting them)
3. Luongo... he is here based on talent and potential alone... other than world championships and a backup role at the olympics he hasnt seen teh ice in important situations
4. Khabibulin... despite last season he has a a very good career and won a stanley cup just prior to the lockout
5. Kolzig... if he wasnt with the caps he would get alot more respect... he may even be higher on this list
6. Fernandez... despite being goaltender 1A for the wild he has proven to be very consistent and should roll with his #1 job
7. Rolosson... i can't believe i am putting him this high because i feel he is overrated but his performance in the playoffs and being goalie 1a in mineesota has given him the numbers to be here
8/9. Theodore & Aebischer.... both are coming off subpar seasons in which they backed up Huet... they were traded for each other straight up... and both have had good seasons in the past and will likely get the chance to once again show why they were #1 goaltenders
10/11/12. Vokoun, Turco & Cloutier... all have made a name for by simply winning games... but its never been that simple... none put up stellar numbers on good teams... middle of the road numbers on teams challenging for a division title leads to you being severely overrated... now that CLouts has been exposed its time for Turco & Vokoun to either improve their numbers or be exposed as being just like Dan

Nabakov & Giguere deserve mention with Theodore and Aebischer

Lundqvist, Ward, Miller, Bryzgalov, Toskala, Huet... etc... arent on the list because 1 season (or playoff) doesnt make you an elite golatender... im not saying none will be elite golatenders but they need to earn being put in the top 10

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Edler Statesman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi View Post
frankly you can't even justify having Brodeur ahead of Kiprusoff right now either.
Brodeur's puckhandling ability alone puts him ahead of most goalies. The fact that he can also stop the puck with the best of them is icing on the cake. He's also the most consistently good goaltender in the NHL which is an extreme stabilizing force for his team, no matter who's on the ice, which is an embarassingly underrated asset in goalies.

So to summarize, playoff performance, "Third Defenseman" factor, and consistency are what puts Brodeur ahead of Kipper for me.

Old
07-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
IMO you dont just rate goaltenders on 1 years performance... look at what they did the last couple seasons... and in all honest there isnt the great goaltenders there once was in the NHL... a list like this would have been easy 10 years ago (well alot easier)... but it seems as if half the goalies in the NHL either have never had decent success or have only started for a season (if that in some cases)

1. Brodeur... i dont need to debate why one of the greatest of all time is at #1
2. Kiprusoff... a vezina trophy, a vezina & hart nomination, a clarence campbell trophy and a northwest champions banner (yeah i know the latter 2 are team awards... but cmon everyone knows without kipper they arent getting them)
3. Luongo... he is here based on talent and potential alone... other than world championships and a backup role at the olympics he hasnt seen teh ice in important situations
4. Khabibulin... despite last season he has a a very good career and won a stanley cup just prior to the lockout
5. Kolzig... if he wasnt with the caps he would get alot more respect... he may even be higher on this list
6. Fernandez... despite being goaltender 1A for the wild he has proven to be very consistent and should roll with his #1 job
7. Rolosson... i can't believe i am putting him this high because i feel he is overrated but his performance in the playoffs and being goalie 1a in mineesota has given him the numbers to be here
8/9. Theodore & Aebischer.... both are coming off subpar seasons in which they backed up Huet... they were traded for each other straight up... and both have had good seasons in the past and will likely get the chance to once again show why they were #1 goaltenders
10/11/12. Vokoun, Turco & Cloutier... all have made a name for by simply winning games... but its never been that simple... none put up stellar numbers on good teams... middle of the road numbers on teams challenging for a division title leads to you being severely overrated... now that CLouts has been exposed its time for Turco & Vokoun to either improve their numbers or be exposed as being just like Dan

Nabakov & Giguere deserve mention with Theodore and Aebischer

Lundqvist, Ward, Miller, Bryzgalov, Toskala, Huet... etc... arent on the list because 1 season (or playoff) doesnt make you an elite golatender... im not saying none will be elite golatenders but they need to earn being put in the top 10
Yikes. Pretty heavy on the past...you sure you didn't miss Patrick Roy on your list?

Old
07-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
did someone honestly just imply that Johan Hedberg is a better goaltender then Marty Turco

Turco: 41 wins, 2.55 GAA, .898 SP% - 3,910:12 TOI
Hedberg: 12 wins, 2.67 GAA, .898 SP% - 1,078:50 TOI

yeah its really obvious Hedberg was the better goaltender! Cause I mean Dallas could trade back for him and Im sure theyd win 53 games with Hedberg playing in goal for 8 out of 10 regular season games. /end sarcasm

alright seeing as none of the stats back you up and Ive proven my point, I'll move onto my list.

Kipper
Luongo
Vokoun
Turco
Brodeur
Fernandez
SHOUT OUT TO OLAF KOLZIG
Rollie
Lundqvist
Johan "The Moose" Hedberg

hope that satisfies everyone!
Not saying he's better or anything, just that he had better games than Turco last season... Turco got pulled many games...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Ronald Pagan

Luongo is the best goalie in the NHL who's never won anything.

But that certainly doens't make him the best goalie in the NHL. Overrated.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Hockeyfan02

1a. "Kipper"...To me, slightly better than Brodeur at this point
1b. Brodeur... Can't argue with what he's done
3. Luongo... Probably the most talented, needs to prove something in the playoffs, which like QBs in the NFL is what goalies are judged on to live up to the hype
4. Vokoun... Consistantly underrated, would have helped the Preds in the playoffs if healthy
5. Miller...Impresses me every time I watch him.
6. Fernandez...Can't argue with his stats, but needs to do something in the playoffs
7. Lundqvist.... Good start in the NHL, but got lit up against the Devils in the playoffs.
8. Giguere... Has been very good in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Subpar in the playoffs last year but had injury which let Bryzgalov take over.
9. Khabibulin...Horrid year, but I think he'll bounce back with a year in Chicago under his belt.
10. Turco...Great regular season goalie, but folds in the playoffs. Would be top 5 if not for the playoffs.

HM in no order: Ward, Nabakov, Toskala, Huet, Kolzig

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:04 PM
trentmccleary

1. Kiprusoff
2. Brodeur
3. Luongo
4. Vokoun
5. Giguere
6. Lundqvist
7. Miller
8. Huet
9. Roloson
10. Nabokov

It's a hard year to make this list. With Huet, Miller, Lundqvist having so little experience... then Theo, Nabokov and Turco falling to pieces.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote