HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

top 10 goalies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2006, 08:01 PM
  #101
RobsonStreet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti_A View Post
Well, shouldn't a great goalie be able to take a poor team to the playoffs?

Beezer took his panther team to the finals, what has Luongo done?
You watched Florida play that year, right?

RobsonStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 08:07 PM
  #102
KL*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
Luongo sucks because Sean Hill can't clear the crease. Gotcha.

Yeah, that's it... I guarantee I have seem play more times in the last 5 years than you... He is good, but for anyone to put him as #1 in the NHL is completely ludacris... I think I might have him to high at #5...

KL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
  #103
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
Is this a top 10 goalie list, a list of the 10 best goalie performances from last year or a prediction list of who will have the top 10 performances next year?

These goalies should not be on a top 10 goalie list... yet.

Roloson
Toskala
Lundqvist
Miller
Thomas (duh)

Ward is even questionable, but Lord Stanley gave him a ring... Apparently, Ward didn't hear the phone because something was in his ear.


Last edited by Hold the Pickles: 07-25-2006 at 08:41 PM. Reason: edited for "humor"
Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 08:37 PM
  #104
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsdude View Post
Not exactly a perfect comparasin.
That was a nice way of putting it.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 08:45 PM
  #105
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfanatic View Post
These goalies should not be on a top 10 goalie list... yet.

Roloson, Toskala, Lundqvist, Miller, Thomas (duh)
How do you avoid them when Nabokov, Turco and Theo crapped out. Not everybody will believe that they'll return to form. Then Hasek and Belfour came 5 steps closer to retirement. A lot of people discount Giguere... for whatever reason.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 09:00 PM
  #106
bigjags*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by west in the east View Post
Because he hasnt been in the post season he isnt a great (Id put him at 3) goalie.

Thats some great logic
Good goalies make the post season, Sherlock.

bigjags* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 09:15 PM
  #107
Portable Mink
Go Walker!
 
Portable Mink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
no love for Kolzig!

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 09:24 PM
  #108
bigjags*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 500
Kipper is #1 without a doubt. The guy had over 40 wins last season, 10 gooses, nominated for the Hart and wins the Vezina and is only 29 years old. In the season before takes the Flames to the cup...What more does this guy have to do to be #1?

Anyone who puts Brodeur #1, I can totally respect that opinion, but anyone who puts Luongo #1 needs to go a see doctor. This guy has never made the frickin post season and really hasn't done anythin special. I think the Luongo lovers have been reading TSN's "Career potential Franchise goaltender" a little too often. I'm sick of people pumping this kid up. I'm not saying he isn't 'the real deal' or a good goalie, but to put him #1 is rediculas. Seriously, lay of the crack pipe and give Kipper or Marty his due.

bigjags* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 10:20 PM
  #109
Talentless Practise*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
Brodeur's puckhandling ability alone puts him ahead of most goalies. The fact that he can also stop the puck with the best of them is icing on the cake. He's also the most consistently good goaltender in the NHL which is an extreme stabilizing force for his team, no matter who's on the ice, which is an embarassingly underrated asset in goalies.

So to summarize, playoff performance, "Third Defenseman" factor, and consistency are what puts Brodeur ahead of Kipper for me.
Ah, but how can you say about consictency when Kipper has only been a number one goalie for one and a half seasons? We don't know how consistant he will be, but he's off to a pretty good start. Offcourse, with Brodeur we are talking superhuman levels of consistency, but for the best part of two seasons he has been consistently worse than Kipper.

And when you think about it, Kipper is more proven with the new pads Thats why i don't understand the way people look at achievements before the lockout. It has no significanse, it's a new game.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 11:34 PM
  #110
vancityluongo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,400
vCash: 500
this is just my opinion
kipper ( hate to say it )
brodeur
luongo
vokoun
fernandez
miller
lundqvist
ward
kolzig
turco

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 11:42 PM
  #111
Fan-of-#9
Registered User
 
Fan-of-#9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,775
vCash: 500
Who I'd want on my team for the 06-07 season (in no particular order):

Ward
Brodeur
Luongo
Miller
Turco
Kipprusoff
Vokoun
Kolzig
Khabibulin
Lundqvist

HM to: Roloson, Lehtonen, Nabokov, Theodore.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:59 AM
  #112
MTechnik
Showtime
 
MTechnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
  1. Brodeur
  2. Kiprusoff
  3. Luongo
  4. Vokoun
  5. Lundqvist
  6. Miller
  7. Khabibulin
  8. Turco
  9. Fernandez
  10. Kolzig/Joseph/Nabokov/Giguere

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:04 AM
  #113
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
Top 10 goalies in the NHL


1. Luongo
2. Kiprusoff
3. Vokoun
4. Brodeur
5. Roloson
6. Huet
7. Lundqvist
8. Fernandez
9. Miller
10. Dipietro

I think given different circumstances others may make the list, Fluery, Biron etc...
In no way, shape or form is Roloson a top 5 goaltender.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:15 AM
  #114
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenSk9tSen View Post
#1 Brodeur
#2 Kipper
#3 Luongo
#4 Vokoun
#5 Turco
#6 Lundqvist
#7 Miller
#8 Khabibulin (I assume he will rebound at least somewhat)
#9 Nabokov
#10 Gerber

HM: Everyone else.
After reading this thread I have concluded Giguere must be really underrated to have his former backup rated ahead of him by anyone. How on earth can guys like Turco/Roloson/Gerber etc be ahead of him? People like to use Gigueres 2003 playoffs against him and call him a fluke but look at his 4 regular seasons. The Ducks had a 70% point ratio when he started last year, and his 2003/2004 season is skewed by a poor start.

I am not one of those that likes to crown a young goalie with one good season as a top 10 goalie such as Lundqvist, Miller, and Ward(who was pretty mediocre during the season). They may cement themselves this year but I'm not ready to do it at this time.

Same goes for Luongo, if he doesn't do it this year he's out of excuses.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:05 PM
  #115
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
How do you avoid them when Nabokov, Turco and Theo crapped out. Not everybody will believe that they'll return to form. Then Hasek and Belfour came 5 steps closer to retirement. A lot of people discount Giguere... for whatever reason.
Pretty easy to avoid just five goalies. One good season is not enough to consider a goalie proven nor is it enough to consider a proven goalie done. If you don't believe a goalie will return to form don't include him in your list.

Do you think Jim Carey should have been in a top ten goalie list after his one great season?

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:18 PM
  #116
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,868
vCash: 500
Luongo
Kiprusoff
Lundqvist
Vokoun
Brodeur
Miller
Fernandez
Turco
Ward
Nabokov

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
  #117
west in the east
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bletchley View Post
Good goalies make the post season, Sherlock.
Yes, because this is not a team sport. You actually have to have a decent team in front of you to make it there, no matter who you are.

Im not saying hes number 1. Hes deffinately no lower than #4

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
  #118
CorradoVR6*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
WOW, amazing how quick people forget.
What about Hasek? It is not clear if he'll play or not next year .. but last year, before the injury, he was simply amazing.
If he plays again this season he'll be beter than most think .. and considering his age .. you have to put him somewhere on top

I can't really decide the order of the first five but it goes something like this:

Brodeur
Hasek
Luongo
Bulin wall
Kipper
Voukoun
Miller
Turco
Nabby
Lundqvist

CorradoVR6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:30 PM
  #119
wukwinn
Registered User
 
wukwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to wukwinn Send a message via Yahoo to wukwinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bletchley View Post
Good goalies make the post season, Sherlock.
I think this is the stupidest thing I've read on this board in the past year.

wukwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:37 PM
  #120
Ludo
Registered User
 
Ludo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 528
vCash: 500
Based on the last 5 seasons...I'll say:

1. Brodeur
2. Kipprusoff
3. Luongo
4. Vokoun
5. Turco
6. Nabokov
7. Khabibulin
8. Theodore
9. Fernandez
10. Legace

The stock of a lot of these has dropped last year (Theodore, Khabibulin, Nabokov).

Best young goaltenders:
1. Henrik Lundqvist
2. Ryan Miller
3. Cam Ward
4. Kari Lehtonen

Late bloomers:
1. Cristobal Huet
2. Martin Gerber

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
  #121
clay
Registered User
 
clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,709
vCash: 500
1) Kiprusoff: Not much doubt here, IMO. Took a medicore Flames team two years ago to the Finals and took the Vezina by a landslide last year.

2) Brodeur: Still an unbelievable goalie. Probably top 5 all-time.

3) Luongo: Arguably has the most talent of any goalie in the NHL. Just has to prove himself in the post-season.

4) Vokoun: Very underrated talented goalie.

5) Fernandez: Has always been good, but became great last season.

6) Turco: Although his numbers weren't great last year, he is still one of the best puck-control goalies in the league.

7) Miller: Proved that he could steal games last year.

8) Khabibulin: Already proven as onbe of the league's best goalies, but slumped last year.

9) Huet: With one fantastic season under his belt, he is out to finally prove himself.

10) Dipietro: Very talented and still very young.

clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:10 PM
  #122
bigjags*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wukwinn View Post
I think this is the stupidest thing I've read on this board in the past year.
How? If he's the number one goalie like those knobs say he is, then he'll make the post seasaon. Or he might win a Vezina.

bigjags* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:15 PM
  #123
dok101
Registered User
 
dok101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 50
This is my top 10 goalies entering into this year. To those saying that the younger goaltenders cannot be on this list, I say bull.

1.Miikka Kiprusoff
2.Tomas Vokoun
3.Manny Fernandez
4.Henrik Lundqvist
5.Martin Brodeur
6.Ryan Miller
7.Roberto Luongo
8.Marty Turco
9.Martin Gerber
10.Ilya Bryzgalov

HM: Rick DiPietro, Cam Ward, Kari Lehtonen, Dwayne Roloson, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Manny Legace

dok101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:32 PM
  #124
streakie
Registered User
 
streakie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to streakie
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalunatik1979 View Post
IMO you dont just rate goaltenders on 1 years performance... look at what they did the last couple seasons... and in all honest there isnt the great goaltenders there once was in the NHL... a list like this would have been easy 10 years ago (well alot easier)... but it seems as if half the goalies in the NHL either have never had decent success or have only started for a season (if that in some cases)

1. Brodeur... i dont need to debate why one of the greatest of all time is at #1
2. Kiprusoff... a vezina trophy, a vezina & hart nomination, a clarence campbell trophy and a northwest champions banner (yeah i know the latter 2 are team awards... but cmon everyone knows without kipper they arent getting them)
3. Luongo... he is here based on talent and potential alone... other than world championships and a backup role at the olympics he hasnt seen teh ice in important situations
4. Khabibulin... despite last season he has a a very good career and won a stanley cup just prior to the lockout
5. Kolzig... if he wasnt with the caps he would get alot more respect... he may even be higher on this list
6. Fernandez... despite being goaltender 1A for the wild he has proven to be very consistent and should roll with his #1 job
7. Rolosson... i can't believe i am putting him this high because i feel he is overrated but his performance in the playoffs and being goalie 1a in mineesota has given him the numbers to be here
8/9. Theodore & Aebischer.... both are coming off subpar seasons in which they backed up Huet... they were traded for each other straight up... and both have had good seasons in the past and will likely get the chance to once again show why they were #1 goaltenders
10/11/12. Vokoun, Turco & Cloutier... all have made a name for by simply winning games... but its never been that simple... none put up stellar numbers on good teams... middle of the road numbers on teams challenging for a division title leads to you being severely overrated... now that CLouts has been exposed its time for Turco & Vokoun to either improve their numbers or be exposed as being just like Dan

Nabakov & Giguere deserve mention with Theodore and Aebischer

Lundqvist, Ward, Miller, Bryzgalov, Toskala, Huet... etc... arent on the list because 1 season (or playoff) doesnt make you an elite golatender... im not saying none will be elite golatenders but they need to earn being put in the top 10

If it wasn't for Vokoun this year, the preds would have never made the playoffs. And in 03-04 Turco was the only reason that crappy Stars team made the playoffs, yes something is going on with the playoffs the past two post-seasons, but that does not change the fact that he is a top ten Goalie.

These young goalies last year were great, but let's wait until another season passes before we see if it was a one year fluke or not. What makes a goalie elite is the ability to produce year after year.




And people please quit trying to defend Luongo with the he is great because he faces 45 shots excuse. He creates those shots with his bad rebounds and his horrible puck handling skills...

streakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
  #125
Skroob*
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paille#1 View Post
CAn you support that statement. He had a good year sharing the workload with Weekes, than fell off at the end, got hurt and stunk in the playoffs when he wwas healthy again.

I think Lundqvist has proven himself to be a solid goalie during most of the regular season but I don't see a clutch performer there.

Yes I know about the olympics but that is a whole other game.
(1) he was hardly "sharing the load." He was the #1 after not too long.

(2) the falloff at the end was because he was hurt

(3) he was NOT healthy for the playoffs (neither was Jagr, Prucha, Kaspar, Malik, Rucchin, Ward, etc)

(4) Yeah, he's no clutch preformer:
(4a) SEL MVP
(4b) 2x SEL Champ (one earned in a NHL-player filled season)
(4c) Olympic Gold Medal

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.